Something I Did to Surprise DD's

Texian@WDW

DIS Veteran
Before we went to WDW in 2000, Toys 'R Us had Disney Princess figurines (plastic) on sale for about $1. I bought a different one for each day of our stay. I placed one every morning on the headboard of their bed and they never had any idea that it was me!

To this day they still believe one of those Princesses put them there.
Now I'm trying to come up with something clever for our upcoming trip.

I did something similar for our trip in 2001. We put something under their pillows every night and called it the Mickey fairy. It was some plastic figures, some Pez dispensers, goofy car, etc. DD was only 4 and she remembers it very clearly b/c she asked me the other day if the Mickey fairy knows we had another baby. Now with 3 kids and the 7 day fairy tale package, I had better find some bargains!!!

The Disney store is having their annual sale and most of the store is 50-75% off. They had their minature princess sets 75% off. It came to about $3.50 each. I know that's more expensive then what you paid but I bought one of each for souv. for my DD. Their towels were .62 each. The ones that are the size of a quarter until you put them in water. I know that my sister said that the online store was also having a sale. Good luck!!

Jen

The last time we went, I bought DH Cinderella pajamas before we left. I also bought a princess gift bag from Target. When we got to our room, DH distracted DD in the bathroom or looking around at something in that vacinity (showed her the cool Mickey soap). While he did that, I put the gift bag outside our door and then knocked on the door. We had DD answer the door. She loved her pajamas and wore them most of our vacation. She just knew they were from Cinderella herself. Whne they are young it is easy to convince them of magic :)

I love the idea of Mickey fairy or Princess fairy (or maybe just to make it "okay" with both genders my children are: Disney fairy)!!! I have lots of souvenirs bought ahead of time that the kids don't know about yet- I think the Disney fairy is going to visit us daily on our next trip! Thanks for the idea! :)

I'm doing something along the same lines only with t-shirts. I went to the Disney Store and bought character t shirts for all 3 of my kids--one for each day of our stay (except the day we arrive). They each have their own favorites (tink, princesses etc.) and I know they will be so excited to see what shirt will appear next!

I did the same thing except when they came back to the room each day, there was a "gift" with a note from a character (I downloaded signatures from the web). I did things like "Did you see me waiving at you in the parade today?" It was generally followed by shreaks of "Mommy, I told she was looking at me!"

As you all said, it did save on souvenier spending, except for me of course:p but it is a lot to live up to. We have 3 trips planned in the next 18 months. The trips vary in who is attending - 1, 3 and 7 children. I have been busy buying at the Disney store sale and putting away in boxes marked with each trips date.

The look on their faces though was priceless.

I bought a lot of goodies to surprise my daughter during our trip. She's 4 and really into all of the princesses. My son is 8 and thinks it isn't cool to wear characters on his clothes. The only character that he was into was Buzz and Woody. But that was when he was 4/5. It's sad that he is growing up. I thought about just buying Disney dollars to surprise him but with her getting a mini princess doll each day, I feel that he will feel cheated. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Snowfan:

With the new POTC movie coming out, maybe there will be some "cool" things for older boys. My DD's have some Disney Gameboy games if he has a Gameboy - that may be an idea. I don't have sons - just 3 DD's. I like the Disney Dollar idea.

Inspired by this board, I bought several items (on sale, of course)off the Disney on-line store and am going to mail one item each month to my niece and sign the package from Cinderella, Tinkerbell, Mickey Mouse, etc. She LOVES receiving packages (she's 4) in the mail and will be so excited about the gifts and notes Mickey and the rest of the gang send her. I can't wait until my package arrives in the mail so I can start! One question...she has a 2-month-old brother...will she notice if he doesn't get packages? Or should I include a little something for him as well? I don't have kids, so I'm counting on some of you who do to help me out! (I don't want to tell my SIL that I'm doing this so that she will be surprised, too!)

Great idea! Little girls do love to get things in the mail. If little brother is only 2 mo., I think it would be extra special to your neice since little bro has been getting alot of attention lately - I'd bet she's noticed all the packages he's been receiving (ha).

I wouldnt' worry about getting the 2 month old anything..if you include a note saying "Give brother a kiss for me and yourself to" or something of that nature..it'd be fine!!

Originally posted by InstImpres
I did the same thing except when they came back to the room each day, there was a "gift" with a note from a character (I downloaded signatures from the web).

These are all GREAT idea.

InstImpres:
Where did you download signatures? I would love to be able to attach notes to the gifts signed by their favorite character.

Originally posted by Tiggerafferty

Where did you download signatures? I would love to be able to attach notes to the gifts signed by their favorite character. [/B]

I don't remember but if you want to send me your e-mail I can send you what I have. After I posted, I also got smarter, I realized I could have scanned out of last years autograph book instead of surfing the web for signatures.

Sandy

Sandy,
I have been looking for the signatures too! If you wouldn't mind sending them to me as well, my email is tarralee@yahoo.com

I'm planning to have the suprises left in the room when we get back from the parks each day (we are taking my 14 y-o brother as well, and he has been helping me plan the surprises for the little ones- it is so cute how much he's gotten into planning this trip for them! I'll use him to put the presents out while the kids are distracted, etc.) Anyhow, I'd love to include notes from the characters!

TIA,
Tarralee

Originally posted by Snowfan
My son is 8 and thinks it isn't cool to wear characters on his clothes. The only character that he was into was Buzz and Woody. But that was when he was 4/5. It's sad that he is growing up. I thought about just buying Disney dollars to surprise him but with her getting a mini princess doll each day, I feel that he will feel cheated. Any suggestions?

My 11yo DS totally floored me when he said he wanted a character shirt too (I showed him the ones I'd bought for his younger sibs.) Last week in the Disney Store he picked out a Pluto shirt. We looked around for other things he'd like to take on the trip and honestly there was not a whole lot that he wanted. He picked out a small tin of sour candy with a character on it and a magic towel. I also bought Disney Dollars for him and my oldest DS, 14 (he won't wear a character shirt at all).
A while back, at Target, I got DS, 11, a deck of playing cards with assorted Disney characters on the front and Mickey on the backs. I think it was $1.49. I'm going to look for the glowing thingies at the dollar store that other DISers have reported buying. I know he likes the glow sticks when we go camping so he will probably like something like them for the parks after dark.
If I think of anything else I'll post. Actually I was thinking of starting a thread about what to buy ahead for older boys, so watch for it.:)

Crazymomof4,
Thanks for the suggestions. He likes cards and can use them for quiet times and I didn't even think of the glow things. I will start looking this week. I wish they wouldn't grow up so fast.

My boys are 6 and 8 and will still wear some of the disney stuff (but they would prefer pokeomon or yugioh). Reading the entrys made me sad to think I haven't long before they're "too cool" for all this fun stuff.:( One thing i did get for them was the Mickey Mouse walkie talkies form motorola. I got them through an on-line sale for $35. A little expensive for a treat so I'll give them to them for Christmas (Going to Fort Wilderness in Jan.) I'll be watching for the thread about gift ideas for boys too. (I'm princessed out--yes i have a 3yo dd too)

Thought I'd pass on my ideas, too.

We're going in October to the Poly for our DS4's first trip.

I'm going to slip away after check-in and set this first basket on the bed. It will have a Pal Mickey (w/a note saying I've been waiting on you), an autograph book and fat pen, a personalized Guest of Honor badge, and personalized Mickey ears hat, and Mickey cookies, and some chocolate.

When we leave for the MK that next morning, I'm going to place the next basket on the bed so when we return that evening, it'll be there for him. We're doing AK the next day, it will have a Simba (w/a note saying I can't wait to see you), AK binoculars, animal cookies.

The next day we're doing the Family Magic Tour, so his basket will have Peter Pan and Hook figurines and Peter Pan PJs.

The next day is our resort day, so his basket the night before will have a Disney beach towel, pail and shovel, pool toys.

The planning half the fun!:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter