Someone talk me in or out of AKL!!

I've never stayed at AKV, but I just wanted to say this. If this is your first time ever goin to WDW, stay onsite! We just went for our first trip (EVER!) in February and we were simply amazed at how easy everything was! Between the dining plan, the transportation (frequent and comfortable), magical express and just the WHOLE Disney experience...well, I am just so thankful that we did it this time! You are really in your own little bubble! My husband was really surprised at how nice everything was and I am really so thankful that we did it this way for our first trip! Highly recommend it!

Are you looking for this really cool authentic African theme? The Waldorf Astoria I'm sure is wonderful, but AKL sounds more fun to me. I don't know about you, but as much as I think we'd really enjoy a trip to South Africa -- distances and expense make this appear to be something we'll never do. My parents who have been on safari say the AKL is incredible -- so authentic -- They say Disney really did their research and got this right. There's just a really great vibe at the AKL. I personally love the theming and many other people do too. It's a personal preference, of course, and many people would prefer the comforts and great service of a luxury hotel (lower cost to in this case) and prefer that to theming.

Love the AKL and with kids, great place to stay. I could go on and on why you should pick AKL but my number one reason is you said you were not renting a car. Disney transportation is great and the longest ride we ever had from AKL to a park (MK) was about 12 minutes door to door.

I would never stay off site unless I had a car. While many provide shuttles they are not frequent. I don't want to plan my day around a bus schedule. I want to know that a bus will come by every 15-20 minutes.

Also with four kids, the dining plan would make the trip so much easier for me.

We LOVE AKL and AKV, its our DVC home resort. We have stayed at both sides of the resort and the only criticism is the lack of quick service dining options at kidani. The pools and landscape are wonderful, if you can stretch to the savannah view rooms its worth it. My guilty pleasure is sitting on the balcony drinking a bottle of wine watching the animals go by. The resort has a cool laid back atmosphere and is a haven after busy days in the parks.

It can be difficult to explain to first-timers at WDW how nice it is to stay on Disney property when you are comparing off-site hotels and there is such a price difference. Try staying on-site once, especially for your first trip!

AKL is gorgeous. One of the best restaurants on WDW property is there (Jiko). The kids will love being able to see the animals, too.

If you're not renting a car, you definitely should be at a Disney hotel.

Everything else aside... that alone is enough to pick a Disney hotel.

(And yes, AKL is beautiful.)

I wouldn't fret about the busses. Go with the attitude of : its free transportation and I'll get the closest drop offs and pickups possible..

All offsite transportation will have you walking out in the vast parking lots to their assigned spot, where you will wait and most of those have "scheduled" times. The WDW is run continuously. This also means you could see 5 busses going to the same place before yours comes but it is what it is and still more convenient than offsite.

The pool are is GREAT and there are two hot tubs. I never saw anyone NOT having a goodtime and the poolbar is nice too with a large screen TV. There is also a savannah you can check out while at the poolarea and a playlground too. Mara, the counter service food court is right there so you can do a quick lunch all within the pool area. I can't say enough about how nice it is.:wizard:

THIS is all a description of JAMBO HOUSE ( the MAIN HOTEL).

If it is your first trip to WDW, you should definitely stay at a WDW resort. AKL is wonderful and transportation will be more convenient than WA. However, apart from that, you are not going to see any giraffes or antelopes at WA. AKL is the most unique of Disney properties for that feature, IMHO.

I do not know if this applies to the Waldrof, but my first stay was at a hotel in Downtown Disney. We PAID a daily parking fee and resort fee for the hotel. Fortunately, we were close enough to Disney to not have to PAY for parking at Disney - we usually walked but there were shuttles that ran more or less on a pretty good schedule - but you either PAY to park at Disney or catch the shuttle.
Our next visit we rented points at OKW - what a deal and the CM's at OKW were able to help us out of a jam when we lost tickets to Disney Quest at DTD.
Last visit we stayed at POR, which we also liked very much.
I am not much of a shopper, but enjoyed the ability to say, "please send my purchase to my room". I loved not having to carry purchases around.

I have stayed at GF RPC and Poly, arguably two of the nicest places on property.

When I walk into the lobby at Jambo House, I am home.

Stay on-site, stay on-site, stay on-site......oh and may I suggest....stay on-site.

We've stayed at just about every level from value to deluxe villas and were pleased with every one. Of course, you have to keep in mind the differences between each but coming from a "hotel snob", as my family lovingly calls me, I'd rather stay in a value/moderate on-site than anywhere off-site.

And if you can stay/rent one of the 1 or 2 bedrooms villas WA doesn't compare. We love WA but we're sold on AKL - Kidani :)

Whatever you decide I'll be sending pixie dust your way for a magical first trip!

I do not know if this applies to the Waldrof, but my first stay was at a hotel in Downtown Disney. We PAID a daily parking fee and resort fee for the hotel. Fortunately, we were close enough to Disney to not have to PAY for parking at Disney - we usually walked but there were shuttles that ran more or less on a pretty good schedule - but you either PAY to park at Disney or catch the shuttle.
Our next visit we rented points at OKW - what a deal and the CM's at OKW were able to help us out of a jam when we lost tickets to Disney Quest at DTD.
Last visit we stayed at POR, which we also liked very much.
I am not much of a shopper, but enjoyed the ability to say, "please send my purchase to my room". I loved not having to carry purchases around.

My stays developed like this as well. I first stayed at DTD and while it was nice it was not a Disney Resort. I then stayed at several moderates and LOVED the ease of Magical Express, Airport check in, and the Dining plan. Now most of my stays are at the DVC resorts on rented points which because we are only 2 people can be cheaper than staying at a moderate!
I'd never, ever stay off site again. I've been to AKL twice and I it's really grand. But this year, I am booked 3 days at POP because I have never seen it and wanted to try a value resort and then it's on to the Boardwalk ( on points) ...also one I've never stayed at.

I love Disney....:cloud9:

We stayed at Disney for the very first time ever in Sept. It was myself and my nine year old. We stayed at AKL and we loved loved loved it.

We are going back and we are staying at Wilderness Lodge. AKL is amazing. Boma is too die for good. The QS food place is very good. Everyone was super friendly and it didn't feel crowded at all. The pool was great.

So why are we switching? Mostly because we got a better deal at WL this time :) The only slight issue I had with AKL is the length of time to get anywhere. The buses were fine and quick and whatnot but the bus always seemed like it took forever because we were so far out. It isn't a bad thing and the good thing is that it is a nice break but I get motion sickness and it was definately not my cup of tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter