• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Ok... I hate to skip replies to get my next update posted. But it looks like that's what I'm going to do.

Slacker.

Really, it was kind of an anti-climactic way to leave Disney property.

Yeah, there's not much room to really draw it out there.

As we were passing the parks on our way to the interstate, we got a few last glances of Disneyland. And while I didn’t notice it on the way in, I was really struck by seeing the backside of the mountains of Carslands towering over a 7/11. It was just odd.

:rotfl2: Next time maybe you can grab a Slurpee on RSR.

She did some more typing, and then told us that the reason she couldn’t find us is because our flight is operated by USAir, not American. We’d have to go to the USAir desk to check in.

Want to guess which 2 airlines have their ticket counters at the far opposite ends of John Wayne Airport???

:sad2: I'm working on a Law of Airports theory. I'll explain further in my TR.

I entered our information and it couldn’t find us.

Sweet! Back to Disneyland, everybody!

We headed to security and the TSA agent who checked our boarding passes pulled us out of the line and let us go to the pre-check line.

That pre-check line is a godsend with kids.

On our way out of Chili’s we saw a couple who go to our church eating there.

Wow, should I start the song?

Anyway, she commented that she was going to be over traveling by the time she had the baby. She had 2 more work trips coming up as well as a spring break trip she was going on with her family. She still had a few months to go and some more time in airplanes and she was already pretty miserable

Ugh. That just sounds awful.

I think as always, you’ll find good and bad in both places.

Probably true anywhere.

I loved our room and the grounds at AoA. I’d honestly pick it over GCH if I had to choose between the 2 of them right now.

Wow, that's high praise! Or somewhat a slap in the face for GCH.

With very few exceptions, DL attractions tend to best their WDW counterparts.

::yes::

Queues - WDW handles this issue far better.

Dang I’m getting old.

::yes::--Oh, wait. I'm still older, so never mind.

And while I hate to use cliche terms, it most definitely is quaint.

But is it quintessential?

And this, is why I’m so glad that I finally had a chance to visit Disneyland in person. It really is hard to put it into words, but a feeling just comes over you in Disneyland that I’ve never experienced in all my visits to WDW. It is like stepping back to a simpler time and I absolutely love it!

Well said! That captures the feeling perfectly.

Great job on the TR! I'm really glad you got the chance to experience both parks. And you'll have to go back someday, just to try the Matterhorn.

So when's the next trip?:hyper:

Ok, I apologize for taking so long to get this update posted. I’ve been just overwhelmed at work and actually at home as well the past couple of weeks. I’ve barely been able to keep up around here, but I need to get this thing wrapped up so let’s move on to our departure day.

I think you've been taking notes from me. Not updating for weeks at a time. Meh, such is life!

:rotfl2:I really wasn't expecting this! I was expecting a dramatic exit with all the lack of race info you were given (or not given). But this works too:lmao:

Yes, I realize that we filled up with gas several miles farther away from the airport than we should. But I noticed how long it took for the needle to move off of full when we picked the car up. I figured I was safe. I know I see this question come up on the DIS from time to time, but I’ve never had a rental place ask me where I topped off or ask to see the receipt before. I was willing to take a chance to just have it done and not have to look for a station on the way.

We've never been questioned either and we've done it a few times, always thinking that we'll never find a gas station close enough.

As we were passing the parks on our way to the interstate, we got a few last glances of Disneyland. And while I didn’t notice it on the way in, I was really struck by seeing the backside of the mountains of Carslands towering over a 7/11. It was just odd.

Doesn't it make it feel cheap? Being a DL vet going to WDW, I couldn't believe that there weren't liquor stores across the way from the parks. You being a WDW vet, I bet it feels...ugly?

I still don’t remember how I did it, but I had DW looking on Google on her phone.

Can I just giggle for a second, please?? Cause now if she were to look back on her internet history she'll see, "How to take off gas cap off a...." :lmao::rotfl:

She did some more typing, and then told us that the reason she couldn’t find us is because our flight is operated by USAir, not American. We’d have to go to the USAir desk to check in.

This has happened once to us and it actually scared me when they said you're not flying with AA but with USAir. I thought for sure I had messed up!

The TSA agent at the X-Ray machine was also great and talked to the kids while we were getting our bags back off the belt and he had Sofia stickers to give to DD and some Mickey stickers for DS! It was just something special that you definitely don’t expect to get at a TSA checkpoint.

The MCO agents, I feel, are the best! At least the ones i've run into. They know folks are going back home from their vacation so they try to make the leaving process a little easier.

On our way out of Chili’s we saw a couple who go to our church eating there. We stopped to say hi quickly.

So random!

She came back and sat down before we landed and we chatted for a bit. Turns out we had some common friends... you know, 6 degrees of separation. Anyway, she commented that she was going to be over traveling by the time she had the baby. She had 2 more work trips coming up as well as a spring break trip she was going on with her family. She still had a few months to go and some more time in airplanes and she was already pretty miserable. I really felt sorry for her traveling by herself, especially as uncomfortable as she was.

Poor girl. :scared:

Long story short, go see them yourself!

Yes! It's always difficult to explain DLR to WDW vets. But for some reason it's very easy for me to sell WDW to DLR vets??:confused3

Nostalgia - I’ve been making trips to WDW since I was 3 years old. That’s 30 years.

Dang I’m getting old.

Cause then you're calling me old:sad: I've been going to DLR since I was 2:blush:

It will be hard to go back. It just doesn’t make sense for us from a dollars and cents and time spent traveling standpoint. WDW will always come out ahead. But if I ever find myself back out on the West Coast I’ll definitely figure out a way to stop by Walt’s apartment once again and say hi.

Would you ever do a trip to DLR without the kids? (is that bad to leave the kids behind?!:confused3) Cause really, I do believe you need a re-do. You had some major bumps in your schedule. Never have a seen so many refubs and shut downs before, EVER! Then the whole race thing and not knowing how to get out on your last day just kind of puts a damper on your whole trip cause that's all your thinking about.

I usually kind of take my time at Disney World. I drag my feet leaving because I want to take in those last few precious moments of time.

See, I'm one of those weird people who doesn't do this. We've tried doing a morning in the park and leaving at lunchtime, but it was always really hard. So now I wake up on departure day, pack, and leave. And I'm one of those people who just wants to be on the road, whether or not we're going or coming.

They were busy checking cars in, but it didn’t take long before ours was scanned and I had a receipt. The gas needle was still on F and we were good to go!

Heh. So, the last time my fiance! and I rented a car, we pre-purchased the gas. And we drove that sucker back to the airport on FUMES. The rental agent let out a not nice word when he got in our car and saw the level (it was digital, so no needle, but there were no bars left)

Ah codeshare flights. How I despise thee

Ok, I’ll give them this. It did say somewhere in our information that the flight was operated by USAir. But I’ve flown flights (for example AA operated by American Eagle regional jets) where you check in at the counter of the airline through which you booked. And it only made sense to me that this is how this one would work since our ticketing material all said AA and AA owned USAir. But clearly, I was wrong.

See, okay, this is where I don't mean any offense, but your TA should have told you. We are LEGALLY required to state codeshares at the time of booking, and then I always tell my client that even though the ticket says AA, go to US to check in.

Of course, this will all change Monday as everything is converted to American. The life of a travel agent...

I love your comparison of the two parks, and I have to agree. DL has things that are far and above superior to WDW. But WDW will always be my happy place.

Awww, I can't believe the trip is over! When's the next one? ;)

Jill in CO

Ok, I apologize for taking so long to get this update posted. I’ve been just overwhelmed at work and actually at home as well the past couple of weeks. I’ve barely been able to keep up around here,
No worries! :goodvibes I, for one, always appreciate it when people space out their updates...since I feel like I'm perpetually catching up around here. :faint:

That whole build-up, I was holding my breath and waiting for things to go off the rails. :scared: But this was really the best possible outcome, so I'm not too disappointed. :thumbsup2

Yes, I realize that we filled up with gas several miles farther away from the airport than we should. But I noticed how long it took for the needle to move off of full when we picked the car up. I figured I was safe. I know I see this question come up on the DIS from time to time, but I’ve never had a rental place ask me where I topped off or ask to see the receipt before. I was willing to take a chance to just have it done and not have to look for a station on the way.
Eh, I've done that often. So long as you're reasonably close to your destination, I don't see an issue. :confused3

We were walking from one end of the terminal from one ticketing counter to another, all while dragging along our luggage. DS had to walk. DD wanted to walk because he was. And it was just taking a long time!
:headache:

We headed to security and the TSA agent who checked our boarding passes pulled us out of the line and let us go to the pre-check line. I didn’t see any marking on our boarding passes indicating pre-check, but there was nobody in that line so I think he was just taking mercy on us since we were balancing luggage and 2 kids.
What a nice bit of pixiedust:. How cool that they gave out Disney stickers too!

I really enjoyed your trip report and thanks for doing the wrap-up/comparison of the two parks. :goodvibes

Ok, I apologize for taking so long to get this update posted.
Unforgiveable!
I’ve been just overwhelmed at work and actually at home as well the past couple of weeks.
Ok. Forgiven.
I woke up at about 4:00
Must be nice to be able to sleep in that late on a departure day.
:rolleyes1
I was so glad I took some of the bags to the car throughout the week as we were done with them.
We made it to the street that was closed to our right, but open to our left, as I’d confirmed with the guard the prior morning and in only a few minutes’ time we were out on the streets.
Well, sure. Everyone knows that.
:rolleyes2
I usually kind of take my time at Disney World. I drag my feet leaving because I want to take in those last few precious moments of time.
Yep. Stretch it out. And while you're doing that, try to rationalize a way to stay longer.
We were surrounded by happy people dressed in their finest Star Wars gear.
But I just wasn’t able to enjoy the spirit of all of it.
I totally get that.
I said much the same in my last chapter.
Yes, I realize that we filled up with gas several miles farther away from the airport than we should. But I noticed how long it took for the needle to move off of full when we picked the car up. I figured I was safe.
::yes:: Ditto. The gauge isn't going to move for quite a while.
And it's not like they're going to take a dipstick to the fuel tank.
I know I see this question come up on the DIS from time to time, but I’ve never had a rental place ask me where I topped off or ask to see the receipt before.
Me neither.
And now, for some education that I learned from a co-worker who learned it the hard way.
You know how when you pick up your car they try to upsell stuff?
And one of those things goes like this: "Would you like to add on fuel? If you do you don't have to worry about filling the car and our gas is cheaper than you'll find anywhere else."
DON'T DO IT!
What that really means is that they will charge you for a full tank of gas... regardless of how much is in the tank.
So the only way you'd save a few pennies is if you brought the car back and coasted in on fumes.
And who does that? You put gas in the car and.... gee, do I have enough to get to the rental? Better put in $5, 10, 20 bucks.
So you get there with a 1/4 tank... but you still pay for a full tank! If the car has an 18.5 gallon tank, you pay for 18.5 gallons of gas.... regardless of the amount left in the tank.
And while I didn’t notice it on the way in, I was really struck by seeing the backside of the mountains of Carslands towering over a 7/11. It was just odd.
Were they finished on that side? Or were they more rough?
The only excitement we had on the way to the airport was me trying to figure out how to open the @#*% lid over the gas cap.
::yes:: Had the exact same problem. Finally got the manual out... and couldn't find the info in there for a long time either!
Finally found the fuel release button... inside the map pocket of the door.
Possibly the stupidest possible place for it.
The gas needle was still on F and we were good to go!
Good to go!
Want to guess which 2 airlines have their ticket counters at the far opposite ends of John Wayne Airport???
Fedex and Lufthansa!
And yet... you probably breathed a little sigh of relief that the reservation was found.
The TSA agent at the X-Ray machine was also great and talked to the kids while we were getting our bags back off the belt and he had Sofia stickers to give to DD and some Mickey stickers for DS! It was just something special that you definitely don’t expect to get at a TSA checkpoint.
Huh. Never heard of a TSA agent being nice before.
I ended up getting Inferno by Dan Brown. The latest book in his DaVinci code series.
What'd you think of it?
I know I read it... but don't even remember it.
On our way out of Chili’s we saw a couple who go to our church eating there.
I read somewhere that these kind of encounters are not as mathematically unlikely as most people think they are.
I was seated next to a lady who was pregnant. And extremely uncomfortable. The flight attendants made a place for her to sit down back in the galley area during most of the flight.
Nice of them to do that.
She still had a few months to go and some more time in airplanes and she was already pretty miserable.
I know airlines have a cut off when they will no longer allow a pregnant woman on board.
But honestly, I think I was happier with the service we had at WDW during these 2 trips. I think as always, you’ll find good and bad in both places. But overall, based on our experience on these trips, I give the nod to WDW.
Yup. YMMV.
I loved our room and the grounds at AoA. I’d honestly pick it over GCH if I had to choose between the 2 of them right now.
Really! That surprises me.
And I was clearly much, much happier with the service we received from the staff at AoA than what we received at GCH.
No kidding! "Hi will I be able to ______?"
CM (all together now!) "We don't know!"
I’ve been making trips to WDW since I was 3 years old. That’s 30 years.
Dang I’m getting old.
:sad2:
Oh, just wait.
WDW has tons of nostalgia for me. I walk by landmarks and have memories going back years.
Awwww.
Wish I had that, but my first visit wasn't until I was a teen.
Still. Got some good memories from that.
But memories from those pictures we have of me in front of the 20,000 Leagues attraction aren’t something I can relive when I walk past there anymore.
Still annoyed that they took that out.
It was so coo!
A "real" submarine voyage to the ocean depths!
And this, is why I’m so glad that I finally had a chance to visit Disneyland in person. It really is hard to put it into words, but a feeling just comes over you in Disneyland that I’ve never experienced in all my visits to WDW. It is like stepping back to a simpler time and I absolutely love it!
Now that's very interesting.
Never really thought of it that way.
But if I ever find myself back out on the West Coast I’ll definitely figure out a way to stop by Walt’s apartment once again and say hi.
Very nice.
Great wrap up and great TR! Thanks, Andy! :)

Thanks for the fantastic trip report and the great wrap-up.

As someone in very similar circumstances to you- WDW vet, first family visit to DL, I totally agree with your observations and comparisons.

DL is familiar, but with a few quirks.

Rides at DL mostly better than their WDW counterparts, but the queues are not.

I didn't see F! or the fireworks show at DL, did see WoC, but I don't know if I can really give one the nod over the other. Aladdin IS the best Disney show I have seen. Just incredible!

I'm glad your return home was mostly anti-climatic, except for the little snafu at the airport check-in counter. We had something similar happen on our way to a family vacation to Mexico. My reservation was not coming up, but the rest of the family did. The person helping us was a parent and she said there was no way she was sending the family off without me, since I probably needed the vacation most of all!

Your poor seatmate! At least your kids were pretty well-behaved. Nothing like being miserably uncomfortable AND having a nightmare glimpse into your future.

Looking forward to reading about your next adventures, wherever and whenever that may be.

And wishing you a successful growing and harvest season!

:goodvibes:

But in this case, it was a little more stressful. We just walked 20+ minutes from our hotel to the car. We were surrounded by happy people dressed in their finest Star Wars gear.

But I just wasn’t able to enjoy the spirit of all of it.

:sad:

We didn’t have any issues with traffic, race or otherwise.

Great! I know you were worried about the traffic so that's really great! :thumbsup2

he only excitement we had on the way to the airport was me trying to figure out how to open the @#*% lid over the gas cap. I still don’t remember how I did it, but I had DW looking on Google on her phone.

Was there a manual in the glove compartment? Why do they make it so difficult to put gas in the car?

I walked up to the counter and found a live person. She checked everything out and couldn’t find it either.

Crap.

Oh, no. :eek:

Of course. :rolleyes2

We finally made it to the USAir counter and quickly got checked in. We headed to security and the TSA agent who checked our boarding passes pulled us out of the line and let us go to the pre-check line. I didn’t see any marking on our boarding passes indicating pre-check, but there was nobody in that line so I think he was just taking mercy on us since we were balancing luggage and 2 kids.

That must have been a nice surprise.

It was just something special that you definitely don’t expect to get at a TSA checkpoint.

Definitely not.

We went to a Chili’s and just sat around enjoying our meal and relaxing. On our way out of Chili’s we saw a couple who go to our church eating there.

Wow! Small world.

The kids played with DS’s Planes toys and colored while DW and I read. It really didn’t turn out to be a bad afternoon. The kids played nicely and handled the wait better than I’d have ever expected.

Isn't it great when they are actually well behaved? :rotfl:

I really enjoyed your comparison of the two parks. I don't really have a strong urge to see DL but if I ever find myself in CA I'll have to stop by and see it for myself. :goodvibes

Great wrap up, Andy! You did a great job describing the differences of both theme parks, and I feel like I have a better understanding of how a WDW vet feels when visiting DL. Makes me wanna plan a trip to the west coast myself.

Seriously ... especially because you were aware of the possibility of trouble. It's like ... pull out, nothing wrong, no trouble ... that's it?

I will admit that I'm not an expert on car rentals, but ... I'm guessing that you probably would have been fine filling up almost anywhere between Disneyland and the airport ... seeing as how it's like 20 miles - if you filled up all the way, I can't imagine they'd charge you for driving 20 miles. But what do I know...

And while I didn’t notice it on the way in, I was really struck by seeing the backside of the mountains of Carslands towering over a 7/11. It was just odd.

That sounds ... strange. I've never seen Cars Land from that angle (we fly in and out of LAX and I'm generally not paying attention anyway), but I'd imagine it's a very different view ... not necessarily in a good way.

We didn’t have any issues with traffic, race or otherwise. The only excitement we had on the way to the airport was me trying to figure out how to open the @#*% lid over the gas cap. I still don’t remember how I did it, but I had DW looking on Google on her phone. I just about reached the point where figured it was a rental and I was about ready to just find something to pry it open with when I finally found out how to get it. :rolleyes1

The gas cap ... something that should be simple, but never is.

I entered our information and it couldn’t find us.

Odd…

I walked up to the counter and found a live person. She checked everything out and couldn’t find it either.

Uh-oh.

She asked what our flight number was. I told her.

Ouch.
This may worse than my brother, who was on a Cathay Pacific flight booked through American and American found his ticket, but Cathay Pacific's online system couldn't find his ticket. At least he knew which airline to check in with at the airport! (Once he got to the airport he had no problem checking in, he just couldn't check in online for some reason and was freaked out because apparently Cathay Pacfic's US phone line isn't open on weekends except Saturday before 5, and this was after 5).

Ok, I’ll give them this. It did say somewhere in our information that the flight was operated by USAir. But I’ve flown flights (for example AA operated by American Eagle regional jets) where you check in at the counter of the airline through which you booked. And it only made sense to me that this is how this one would work since our ticketing material all said AA and AA owned USAir. But clearly, I was wrong.

Yeah, codeshares & flights operating under subsidiaries are always way more complicated than they need to be.

We finally made it to the USAir counter and quickly got checked in. We headed to security and the TSA agent who checked our boarding passes pulled us out of the line and let us go to the pre-check line. I didn’t see any marking on our boarding passes indicating pre-check, but there was nobody in that line so I think he was just taking mercy on us since we were balancing luggage and 2 kids.

Part of it may have been the luggage and kids. But part of it is just that they randomly assign people to precheck at security. I've never had precheck on my boarding pass and I've been through precheck 3 or 4 times. We get randomly sent there a lot ... I guess I don't look like a terrorist. It's usually random, but sometimes they'll do it just to take pity on someone with a lot of stuff and kids.

That is awesome!!

On our way out of Chili’s we saw a couple who go to our church eating there. We stopped to say hi quickly. They were headed to Colorado to visit family.

So ... I'm guessing Dallas is a big layover place for flights from your home airport ... that or it's a really funny coincidence.

DD was getting restless and kept moving back and forth from my lap to DW’s, but all in all, the kids didn’t do too bad on our return flights.

I'm glad to hear they were better on the return flights than they were on the first set of flights. Would you consider flying with them again or were the flights to California just too much for you?

But honestly, I think I was happier with the service we had at WDW during these 2 trips. I think as always, you’ll find good and bad in both places. But overall, based on our experience on these trips, I give the nod to WDW.

We've had good CMs at both and not-quite-as-good CMs at both. There's definitely good and bad in both places.

Hotels - I think I’ve made that crystal clear. I loved the grounds of the hotels, both GCH and DLH, but having only stayed in one of them and not being overly impressed by the room itself I give the nod to WDW by a landslide. I loved our room and the grounds at AoA. I’d honestly pick it over GCH if I had to choose between the 2 of them right now.

I think it's hard to top AoA. I've never stayed on property in California (hopefully September 2016!), but I like AoA more than some fancier hotels I've visited.

Parks - Let’s not even compare them. They are similar yet oh so different. I absolutely loved DL and DCA but I can’t even begin to compare them to any of the WDW parks in a one on one basis. Long story short, go see them yourself!

Yay! We're finally not comparing things!

Night time shows - Well, we didn’t get to see WoC. So DL would probably win if we had. But while DL has a better Fantasmic, we weren’t blown away by the fireworks. Wishes was a much better show. And WDW has Illuminations going for it too… I’ll call it a draw but DL probably would have received the nod had WoC been running and if we’d been there once this new fireworks show and parade for the 60th had started up.

In my experience, I'd give it to DL ... because WoC is one of my favorite things in the world. Taking out WoC, I think I'd give it to WDW. So I definitely get what you're saying here.

Live Stage Shows - DL does them better. Mickey and the Magical Map and Aladdin are both phenomenal shows. I like both of them better than any show I’ve seen at WDW. l love Indiana Jones. Beauty and the Beast is good. Lion King isn’t bad. But these 2 fantastic shows are head and shoulders above anything I’ve seen at WDW.

Yeah, I really need to make time to see these shows next time I'm at DL...

Attractions - Oh boy… WDW wins on volume. DL wins on quality. With very few exceptions, DL attractions tend to best their WDW counterparts. ToT is clearly better in WDW. Star Tours is better in WDW if only due to theming of the area outside the attraction. But aside from that, the attractions themselves tend to be better in DL.

Sort of agree ... WDW has more total volume, but less that you can get to in one day ... it's probably much easier to do every attraction in DL than it is at WDW because they're so close together. So I think there's a lot more to do in one day, which makes a difference to someone like me who might not hop at WDW. But I'd definitely give it to DL on quality as well.

Queues - WDW handles this issue far better. I like the DL queues being outside… to a point. But it does get hot standing outside in the sun, even in January. I remember waiting close to 20 minutes for the Storybookland boats and it was uncomfortable. I’d hate to do that on a really hot day! The fact that WDW has indoor, air conditioned queues for the most part is probably enough to win this battle. But WDW also has better themed queues and they are much wider and give you some room to breathe. With the exception of the Carsland attractions and Indiana Jones, the queues at DL are very tight and pretty boring.

Agree with this, but ... it's also the nature of the age of the park. Many things were built when today's daily visitors were about how many they expected in a year. Most of the newer stuff (but not all) is better. WDW was a chance to fix the mistakes they made at DL ... which includes the small and hot queues.

No matter what they do to the park, space is limited and it is like you’re stepping back in time. Fantasyland feels older and more warm and welcoming. And this could be said for a lot of the other lands as well. In fact, unless they bulldoze entire lands and start all over I don’t think this element of the park will ever change. It will always have that quaint, welcoming feeling and it will take you back to 1955 when Walt Disney’s dream came to fruition.

Part of that is what DL is supposed to be, but part of it is also what Walt Disney didn't like about DL. He hated that he had no room to expand, which is why WDW is as big as it is. It's nice that some things will never change ... but it's also hard for a park to keep bringing people in without changing. I think that a lot of things at DL will never change much and the overall feel of the park will stay the same ... but they do need to change things a little just to keep people from feeling that the park is dated - I think it's hard to find a balance where it feels timeless, not dated, and DL needs to keep finding that balance. Whereas WDW is just constantly refreshing because they don't want or need to feel timeless.
That said ... I still miss the old entrance to DCA (which was less than 10 years old when they changed it). But I'm weird.

It will be hard to go back. It just doesn’t make sense for us from a dollars and cents and time spent traveling standpoint. WDW will always come out ahead. But if I ever find myself back out on the West Coast I’ll definitely figure out a way to stop by Walt’s apartment once again and say hi.

It's definitely a harder trip to make for most people. For me, the airfare alone is almost twice as much going to CA. But I think it's worth it, if you can, to try and save up for another trip there in a few years, when the kids are older and can remember more of it. One of the things I'm grateful for is that I've had the opportunity to do both several times. I think they're very different experiences and everyone should try to do both if at all possible. So I really hope you can find a way to make another trip out to the west coast!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us - I really enjoyed reading about both parts and getting to see two of my favorite places in the world through your family's eyes. I hope you get to book your next trip soon!

Great wrap up, and I completely agree with this! I always look forward to my WDW trips, but I truly MISS Disneyland. It is something so special that just can't be recreated, no matter how great and expansive WDW is. Maybe it's because Walt walked there, I don't know. But there is definitely a different tone to time spent in DL vs. WDW.

Thanks for sharing both trips with us!!

What a great trip. I enjoyed your WDW trip. Your trip to DL brought back good old memories. Makes me think it is close to time to return. Its been 26 years. Sorry I wasn't able to keep up. Can't wait for your next trip!

We actually had no problems making this work. DD rode in the stroller. DS pulled his Ligthning McQueen bag while I hauled the rest of our things. I was so glad I took some of the bags to the car throughout the week as we were done with them

Smart plan!

Well at least it was uneventful! I like to drag my feet in leaving too, but since there isn't a plane flight involved, it's easy to do!

I'm used to this. I still find it odd that at WDW you drive through miles and miles of undeveloped land to get to the MK from non MK resorts. I know my California friends would never understand this.

Figures!

Our flight back to Indianapolis was a full one. I was across the aisle from DW and the kids as I had been on all of our flights. DD was getting restless and kept moving back and forth from my lap to DW’s, but all in all, the kids didn’t do too bad on our return flights.

At least they did better than the flight out to CA!

We quickly loaded up and headed for home. The kids were both asleep before we ever made it to the highway and we were home after about a 40 minute drive.

Nice.

Parks - Let’s not even compare them. They are similar yet oh so different.

I always feel like I'm stepping into an episode of the Twilight Zone when I enter the MK, it is so similar but oh so different!

I’ll call it a draw but DL probably would have received the nod had WoC been running and if we’d been there once this new fireworks show and parade for the 60th had started up.

I wish you could have seen the new fireworks show. It's absolutely spectacular!

Live Stage Shows - DL does them better. Mickey and the Magical Map and Aladdin are both phenomenal shows.

With all the out of work aspiring actors in LA, Disney has quite a talent pool to draw from!

But aside from that, the attractions themselves tend to be better in DL.

I would have to agree with you on these points.

I like the DL queues being outside… to a point. But it does get hot standing outside in the sun, even in January.

It can get hot here anytime! I'm glad that I can make my trips in small bursts and not spend too much time standing around in lines in the hot sun. Locals tend to pick and choose depending on time of day, and whether or not it's sweltering as to which queues to wait it out in.

But WDW also has better themed queues and they are much wider and give you some room to breathe. With the exception of the Carsland attractions and Indiana Jones, the queues at DL are very tight and pretty boring.

You do have to admit for the amount of land that they have, DL has really "packed it in".

Dang I’m getting old.

YOU are? :scratchin

It really is hard to put it into words, but a feeling just comes over you in Disneyland that I’ve never experienced in all my visits to WDW. It is like stepping back to a simpler time and I absolutely love it!

Perhaps why I like to keep going back over and over again.

I really hope that you do get a chance to go back, maybe when the kids are older, or even just you and your wife. There is so much to the Adult Disneyland that many families never get to experience because they are so busy running around getting kids on rides. Plenty of places to kick back and enjoy an adult beverage and a great meals in addition to all the rides.

Thanks for the great trip report and wrap up!

that must be a bit of a buzz kill to be walking to your car that early to leave ... in the middle of all the people arriving for the Star Wars race who were all probably in high spirits at that point (not to mention the added stress of not knowing 100% how it would be to leave and get out of the lot).

For you, I am happy to hear everything was smooth and was anticlimactic .... as a reader I was hoping for more drama :rotfl:

Figuring out how to open the gas tank is definitely not something I spend enough time on with rental cars - until it is time to refill it. Also sometimes I don't figure out how to work the headlights it if is some different way until they are needed :scared:

That does seem odd that the AA ticket agent wasn't able to help your US Air flight .... I can kinda understand a kiosk not being able to adapt but not a worker at a counter

That's cool the kids got stickers at the security checkpoint .... really, stuff like that is so simple and cheap but helps make the process much easier for everyone involved

Did you enjoy Inferno? I liked it a lot more than the Lost Symbol - probably almost as much as the first two. Don't want to say too much if you haven't read it (or for others that don't want to be spoiled) but I liked how it made you think and was a bit of "shades of gray" to the plot.

Thanks for doing the Wrap Up - I always find those easier.

Always strikes me how often I read similar thoughts to you - that you can't compare WDW to DLR and they are both great in their own way and you just have to experience both and take them as two different things. Like comparing cake and pie .... both are great but you can't really definitely say one is better or worse than the other in every aspect

Thanks again for writing up the report - greatly enjoyed it!

So I fell way behind; my life is just crazy busy these days. But I am now caught up, and sad to see the trip is over.

I really enjoyed following your family through WDW and then all the way out west to DL for the very first (but hopefully not the last) time.

DL was always something I'd thought I might do, but after reading your report I feel like I just have to go! The connection you felt to The Man Himself sounds fantastic and I'd like to try and find that myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm with you that WDW will always be number one for me, but DL is a must now!

Hope to see you on the boards, maybe even with a PTR real soon!

:thumbsup2
Hey Andy! I am reallllly late to the party. I read your entire first half of your TR when it came out, but then I was gone from the boards for awhile. Very busy with life outside of the DIS.:rolleyes1 I'm back now, and finally started my own TR. But I read your whole West Coast TR in 2 days. So here it goes........:upsidedow
Yeah... well, I know how that goes too. :rolleyes1

I think this room you and your family stayed at was great - and that view is beautiful. Whenever I do get to go to Cali/DL - I would definitely check out this area. From your experiences it really showed that you all had a good time. :thumbsup2
We loved our room in San Diego. I think that might be part of why we were so disappointed with GCH. We came from a beautiful, spacious room with an incredible room expecting something as good if not better... and it just fell flat.

I love speakers like that. They keep your attention and just leave you with a great feeling. That is so cool how he was a SEAL!
::yes:: He was fantastic!

That's too bad. I think I would expect someone who is pretty mainstream to be better. You would think he would try to win over his whole audience with his routine. I personally am not a fan of him, I don;t think on his show he is that funny.:confused3
I wasn't a big Leno fan and am even less of one now.

Awesome, not many dads will admit they want to be a pirate - so I give you props! :thumbsup2:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Really? Who doesn't want to be a pirate? :confused3 pirate:

YAY! very exciting day! :dancer:

I know this would disappoint me as well. You would think that CMs at the resorts would be very prepared for events like that. In WDW, they would know exactly what to do.

I consider that cool! Monorails are very Disney! :cool2:
Absolutely!

Disney and hotels are a perfect match. Besides going to the parks, my favorite part of a WDW vacation is resort hopping and exploring.
I do enjoy seeing the resorts at Disney World. Really, you can't do a trip without at least hitting up the monorail resorts.

That's the DL hotel I would want to stay at It seems the most "Disney" - which is what I would be going for - being the nerd I am.:rotfl::earsgirl:
That is probably a good choice...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
As dangerous and probably very annoying this would be - I just vision everyone running, all stressed out, and it juts makes me laugh!:hyper:
Um... well, sounds about right.

Oh gosh - this sounds like so much fun!!!!!!!!! Monsters Inc is one of my favorite movies of all time - I love the Laugh Floor - as did my friends on our past trip, but I always wanted them to make a ride. I'm still hoping for a Inc ride to be put in HS in Pixar PLace. They did say they were going to do an expansion there right?!:confused:
Well, supposedly they're doing a Pixar expansion. I'm not sure they've officially announced what it will be yet, but I'd love a Monsters Inc ride!

I LOVE THIS! That would be the best thing about DL. You could just run (literally) back and forth between the 2 parks! :woohoo:
::yes:: It is awesome!

That would be one of the most incredible feelings ever.

WDW vets have to remember that the park was built in 1955, and nothing had veer been built like that before for a theme park. I would feel the same way though. We are so used to a structure that is the icon for the whole resort, something that we all hold dear to our hearts.
It is still very iconic and beautiful. Just not quite as grand.

THis is very cool!!!! To load IASW outside is awesome!!!!!
It really is neat. And I like the façade on the front of the structure there. It really makes for a beautiful backdrop while waiting.

I think this sounds awesome - perfect for any Disney diehard fan!

Great movie - classic. :thumbsup2
I loved that one! It has been way too long since I last saw it.

Ahhh that's too bad. It's happened to the best of us - it's pretty expensive to fix, but pretty easy.
Maybe I need to learn that skill...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Poor fairy godmother, probably just wanted to grant you a wish, and you are just running away!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: That would be my luck. She probably wanted to hand me a magic FP or something.

Was it the time of year, or is this just how they do fireworks at DL - only on Friday nights? I had never heard of this before. Again, I'm so used to WDW having fireworks every night, sometimes twice depending on the time on year.
I think they have a tendency to do them on the weekends so as not to thoroughly annoy their neighbors. I don't know if they open it up and do them all week long during the summer months and Christmas break time period or not. :confused3

Oh gosh, yeah I have heard amazing things about that show as well. I am dying the see the Broadway version!
It really was phenomenal. I'd definitely see it again.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Perfect! I consider that pretty recent, yeah I wonder how often he changes up the material - there are plenty of things in POP culture that you can use today! :rotfl2:
Oh, there were far more current things as well. I'm sure genie has the ability to do some ad libbing.

RS is incredible. Wow, I hve to see this in person one day. It looks like a back drop for you and your family....:eek:
It really is a beautifully done area. The Imagineers went above and beyond.

I love CMs that do this. They can make tough times go by so quick! CMs can keep the magic going even when it seems it is not coming through at the moment.
::yes:: It really helped improve my attitude.

:rotfl2: WDW monorails at their finest!
:thumbsup2

Perfect. Alone time in a Disney Park is just so soothing sometimes. You get to soak everything in for yourself and really enjoy the magic in front of you. I love doing this.
::yes:: There's really nothing better.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Everyone needs alone time once in awhile!
Absolutely! I'm a pretty independent person so I thrive on getting some time to myself.

This show looks great - another attraction I look forward to seeing one day.
::yes:: It was fantastic.

:goodvibes:rotfl: When it's a fan favorite, you have to do it for the fans!:thumbsup2
That's one way to put it.

This sounds amazing.
It really was pretty cool. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was different and a fun walk through.
Yup, true story.:scared1:
:maleficen

:goodvibes Great photos all around!
Thanks!

This would bring tears to my eyes. Beautiful::yes::
It is really what makes Disneyland feel so special!

It sounds like you and your family had an awesome trip.:goodvibes A very magical experience for all of you. I hope you are able to go back one day.::yes::
Thanks! I hope we do as well.

I don't know whether I ever commented on your last update or not.
Yeah, I don't either. The Dis and I haven't been spending much time together the last few weeks. :faint:

I did not know you could walk inside Aurora's castle. It sounds cool.
It was!

Interesting that DL seems darker than WDW at night and that the fireworks seem farther away. So odd that you had to give up your bench so it could be used as a barricades. And then the CM's disappear......:faint:
It certainly was a different experience. Everything seemed oddly familiar, yet just not the same.

Could you move your arms the next morning after carrying DD for an hour???
It wasn't too bad. The arms were fine, but I was more concerned about my back. :eek:

You say it as if we haven't already established that point.

Yeah, there's not much room to really draw it out there.
True.

:rotfl2: Next time maybe you can grab a Slurpee on RSR.
I probably had time to jump a wall and grab one real quick when we were broke down on it.

:sad2: I'm working on a Law of Airports theory. I'll explain further in my TR.
Oh... I can hardly wait. Even though it is probably already posted and I just need to get over there and read it.

Sweet! Back to Disneyland, everybody!
Can't argue with that logic.

That pre-check line is a godsend with kids.

Wow, should I start the song?
For the love of God, NO!!!!

Ugh. That just sounds awful.
I really felt bad for her.

Probably true anywhere.
Absolutely

Wow, that's high praise! Or somewhat a slap in the face for GCH.
Probably a little bit of both, really. AoA really was pretty awesome though. And I'm saying this as a factor of what you get for what you pay as well. I still don't think I'd pick AoA over WL, but I'd stay in either of those 2 over GCH.

::yes::--Oh, wait. I'm still older, so never mind.
::yes:: and you always will be.

But is it quintessential?
Quintessentially quaint.

Well said! That captures the feeling perfectly.

Great job on the TR! I'm really glad you got the chance to experience both parks. And you'll have to go back someday, just to try the Matterhorn.

So when's the next trip?:hyper:
Thanks! And I do hope I can get back there and see what actual working yetis look like.

I think you've been taking notes from me. Not updating for weeks at a time. Meh, such is life!
Yeah... you know. I guess the Dis isn't going anywhere... :faint:

:rotfl2:I really wasn't expecting this! I was expecting a dramatic exit with all the lack of race info you were given (or not given). But this works too:lmao:
Yeah, me too. But I was glad it was pretty easy and uneventful.

We've never been questioned either and we've done it a few times, always thinking that we'll never find a gas station close enough.
I didn't really know where we could fill up between the airport and DL, but there was a station there so I figured that would be good enough. :rotfl2:

Doesn't it make it feel cheap? Being a DL vet going to WDW, I couldn't believe that there weren't liquor stores across the way from the parks. You being a WDW vet, I bet it feels...ugly?
I don't know about cheap. Because really, once you're in there you are cut off from view of the outside world. But it was definitely different seeing it from the outside looking in.

Can I just giggle for a second, please?? Cause now if she were to look back on her internet history she'll see, "How to take off gas cap off a...." :lmao::rotfl:
:rotfl2::rotfl:

This has happened once to us and it actually scared me when they said you're not flying with AA but with USAir. I thought for sure I had messed up
Yeah... I kind of had a w t f moment when she said it.

The MCO agents, I feel, are the best! At least the ones i've run into. They know folks are going back home from their vacation so they try to make the leaving process a little easier.
It makes sense... they probably deal with more families with young children than most airports.

So random!

Poor girl. :scared:
I really felt bad for her. She was miserable.

Yes! It's always difficult to explain DLR to WDW vets. But for some reason it's very easy for me to sell WDW to DLR vets??:confused3
I'm trying to articulate it... but all I can come up with is yeah, I can see how that would be. DL is just something you have to see to understand.

Cause then you're calling me old:sad: I've been going to DLR since I was 2:blush:
Yeah, well, I can't really call you old since I'll always be older.

Would you ever do a trip to DLR without the kids? (is that bad to leave the kids behind?!:confused3) Cause really, I do believe you need a re-do. You had some major bumps in your schedule. Never have a seen so many refubs and shut downs before, EVER! Then the whole race thing and not knowing how to get out on your last day just kind of puts a damper on your whole trip cause that's all your thinking about.
I'd love to go back with or without. I don't see myself taking a trip without them, because frankly, DW and I don't get that much vacation time and we do enjoy spending that time as a family. I'd love to have a conference or something like that take me back out west for a solo visit though...

See, I'm one of those weird people who doesn't do this. We've tried doing a morning in the park and leaving at lunchtime, but it was always really hard. So now I wake up on departure day, pack, and leave. And I'm one of those people who just wants to be on the road, whether or not we're going or coming.
You know, I always want to get on the road too so that we can get home quicker.

But for some reason leaving Disney property just doesn't tend to ignite that desire the way other places do.

Heh. So, the last time my fiance! and I rented a car, we pre-purchased the gas. And we drove that sucker back to the airport on FUMES. The rental agent let out a not nice word when he got in our car and saw the level (it was digital, so no needle, but there were no bars left)
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: That's how you do it, right there!! :thumbsup2

Ah codeshare flights. How I despise thee
:faint:

See, okay, this is where I don't mean any offense, but your TA should have told you. We are LEGALLY required to state codeshares at the time of booking, and then I always tell my client that even though the ticket says AA, go to US to check in.

Of course, this will all change Monday as everything is converted to American. The life of a travel agent...
She might have mentioned it and I didn't really put it together. I don't know. I knew it said something about USAir in our documents somewhere, but I was just going by the fact that I had an AA flight number on my itinerary.

I love your comparison of the two parks, and I have to agree. DL has things that are far and above superior to WDW. But WDW will always be my happy place.
Seems to be a common theme among most WDW vets.

Awww, I can't believe the trip is over! When's the next one? ;)
I wish I knew... :sad2:

Great wrap up!
-Lindsey:earsgirl:
Thanks!

No worries! :goodvibes I, for one, always appreciate it when people space out their updates...since I feel like I'm perpetually catching up around here. :faint:
I've been pretty good about keeping up with the Dis for most of the spring/early summer. But the past month or so, I just can't get caught up around here. :faint:

That whole build-up, I was holding my breath and waiting for things to go off the rails. :scared: But this was really the best possible outcome, so I'm not too disappointed. :thumbsup2
Yeah, I'm glad it went smoothly after all of our concern. But it was all stress and then, "oh yeah, we just left Disneyland."

Eh, I've done that often. So long as you're reasonably close to your destination, I don't see an issue. :confused3
Close, close-ish... :rolleyes1

What a nice bit of pixiedust:. How cool that they gave out Disney stickers too!

I really enjoyed your trip report and thanks for doing the wrap-up/comparison of the two parks. :goodvibes
The kids certainly appreciated it.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter