solo and uber?

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
So I went for my first solo trip last year and did Sunshine Flyer as my transport to and from the airport. I didn't have the best of luck with them, but went with a friend and my son in May and we did Sunshine Flyer and it was actually a great experience that time. I was going to use them again for my solo trip next month and now see that they have merged with Mears and am reading mixed reviews. I also don't really like how early they pick you up from your resort to get you back to the airport for your return flight. I'm just really nervous about getting an Uber by myself. What do you all do?

So I went for my first solo trip last year and did Sunshine Flyer as my transport to and from the airport. I didn't have the best of luck with them, but went with a friend and my son in May and we did Sunshine Flyer and it was actually a great experience that time. I was going to use them again for my solo trip next month and now see that they have merged with Mears and am reading mixed reviews. I also don't really like how early they pick you up from your resort to get you back to the airport for your return flight. I'm just really nervous about getting an Uber by myself. What do you all do?
Honestly when I’m with dd we Do ride share. If I am alone I do mears taxi. Why? It’s a business with a dispatcher, you have any problems there’s someone to call. If you lose something on the ride ? Again a contact.

I have had some questionable ride share experiences. Some really don’t know their way around / new.

Also taxis are stationed at the resorts and the resort staff will hail one if needed for you. MCO they have booths at AB and C. It’s nice not to wait with vehicles sitting right there.

Price is slightly higher but convenience is quicker,

I’m going to be in the minority, but I usually use a known car service to/from MCO, especially if I am arriving during rush hour(s) or leaving early. I like to know they will be there on time, will avoid traffic via toll roads, and will know where they are going. I have used lyft solo on property, however, always with phone in hand.

Mears Connect. I've used it many times (after years of using Magical Express, which was also Mears) with no issues. If you want to roll the dice and be picked up later, just input a later flight when you make your reservation.

I usually use Mears Connect from the airport and a rideshare back to the airport. But sometimes I use Mears Connect even back to the airport, especially when my plane is leaving at a time that an extra hour at WDW doesn't really do much for me--I'd just be waiting around to call the rideshare.

I've had good and bad rideshare experiences at WDW. The good are often great and the bad can be super annoying. I had an Uber driver take me to the parking lot of DAK once instead of to AKL. The language barrier made it quite difficult to convey the problem--even though AKL was clearly entered on the Uber request. I've had other rideshare drivers get lost, so now I stare at the road signs to make sure my driver's going the right way.

I've never had a problem with safety. And quite often there's zero problem with rideshare. I use it now and then while I'm at WDW.

One thing to be aware of: rideshare prices to/from the airport can be really expensive, depending on what time of day it is. I had an Uber from MCO cost $70 to POFQ last year. A regular taxi would've been less, I'm pretty sure.

Town car companies are expensive. Expect to pay something like $200 round-trip MCO-WDW. And back in the day when I was using a town car service, I was once picked up for the return trip 3 hours before my flight left--no better than Mears Connect.

I don’t use rideshare unless absolutely necessary, but I did need to use Uber for a 35 mile, one way trip to pick up my car from the mechanic. I did not feel unsafe or have any problems with the ride. If I needed to use a rideshare, I would do it. I would probably limit it to daylight hours though.

There are so many options to get to WDW from the airport. I would price out all of them, and then read some independent reviews, before making a decision. There isn’t going to be one perfect solution. You will always have to compromise somewhere, whether that is time, money, or convenience.

61 years old, solo, I take Uber or Lyft around Disney and Universal most of the time. Never felt unsafe.

You can see the price before booking, so if it's super high for some reason you can choose a taxi. That has never happened to me. I usually compared both Uber and lyft when using a rideshare.

When I travelled solo I used Tiffany to and from the airport.
I feel comfortable using Lyft on my own when I need transport around WDW.

My daughter used a car service one time while visiting us at POFQ. She still talks about how good that service was. They were waiting for her with a sign with her name on it and carried her luggage to the car. They were prompt and she never had a problem either to or from the resort. I wish I could recall the name, but they had limos too.

I’m always much more comfortable with my daughter taking an Uber by herself than some legacy taxi or car service. With Uber your driver has passed a background check, your ride is tracked in real time, there is an emergency button in the app if you ever feel unsafe, and you can also share your ride with a family member or friend so they can also track you in real time:
https://www.uber.com/en-PL/blog/share-your-ride/
My wife and two daughters have taken very many Uber rides alone and have never had any issues or felt unsafe.

I’m always much more comfortable with my daughter taking an Uber by herself than some legacy taxi or car service. With Uber your driver has passed a background check, your ride is tracked in real time, there is an emergency button in the app if you ever feel unsafe, and you can also share your ride with a family member or friend so they can also track you in real time:
https://www.uber.com/en-PL/blog/share-your-ride/
I feel very safe using a car service with a track record of many years.
They meet me at luggage claim, help me with my luggage and give me the option of a Publix grocery stop before we arrive at the resort.
I agree with you about basic taxi service. These days that's a no go for me. I'll call a Lyft.

I used Lyft to get from MCO and back last trip. I've used Uber and Lyft in several major cities over the years and it is fine. It's nice to be able to see where the driver is while waiting. The only thing I dislike is when they're too chatty. I had a wild born again in Dallas last year and I've never smiled and nodded so much.

I use Lyft all the time (well I did before the Pandemic) especially when I worked in they city. Never felt unsafe. I always shared my ride info with DH and usually placed a call to him when I got in the car to say "I'm on my way home. I just shared the ride details with you" so the driver knew someone was waiting for me. Honestly, I felt like that was probably overkill but it didn't hurt anything to take the extra step. Even if I was travelling alone I would just call and say "I'll see you in a bit" since the driver doesn't know who you are meeting. I wouldn't hesitate to use rideshare any time of day.

I'm just really nervous about getting an Uber by myself. What do you all do?

The first time I traveled solo to WDW, I was nervous about getting into an Uber by myself, but Uber has so many safety features built in, I felt fine. They not only tell you the make, model, and color of the car, they tell you the license plate #, all of which I check. It seems that last time I got a photo of the driver, but I'm not sure. I've used Uber at least 8 times now (4 trips, a different driver each way and each trip) and now, as long as I check the safety things, I'm fine.

I've done Mears Connect twice now - and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again from MCO to WDW. It's "fast enough" for me and its cheap. I appreciate that as a solo. First time it was just over an hour from exiting the jetway at the gate to when I arrived at my resort (all carry-on). The second time - I had to go to baggage claim A and then over to B - and we made a stop at C Terminal - and it was like 1:35-1:40 from exiting the jetway until I got to my resort.

From WDW to MCO - the first time I was literally sitting in food court area of Terminal A THREE HOURS before my flight (2.5 hours before boarding). That just felt WAY too early. The second time, there were more stops after my resort pick-up and the lines at the airport - and this time, I was in the food court at Terminal A 1.5 hours before my flight - or an hour before boarding. So - I understand why Mears is scheduling pick-up so early. Lines easily could have been worse at MCO and I would have been getting very nervous about making it on time.

So - I get why some folks may not like their WDW to MCO approach. They are playing it safe because they don't want to be the reason you miss your flight - that reputation would put them out of business fast.

For me, its not about the safety of rideshare vs a shared service - it's about the price. Mears is cheap - probably $60 less RT vs. any other service. $60 is PLENTY of money for a day of food for me as a solo. It's a "measurable" amount of money for me in terms of the total cost of the trip.

Safety-wise - I think ALL solo transportation options carry the same risk. Uber/Lyft/Taxi/Private Service. All of those organizations have checks of driver history - and there's always a chance a bad apple is your driver and a risk to the rider. Each have their service benefits.

So - I just think you need to decide what YOU need in terms of service. I'm willing to give up an hour of my time to stay cheap with Mears. Others may value the price of a private service because they make a grocery store and it's pre-set up well in advance. Others love the ease of just getting on the app when they are ready.

My first choice ---- still wishing Disney would go back to DME - where the cost is embedded in the rest of my stay - not a separate charge.

I took an Uber in my home town, once by myself and it was actually the first time I had ever used it.

I hugged the driver when he dropped me off and said, "Thanks for the ride and for not killing me." 🤣 🤣 He said, "Right back at'cha."

Sunshine/Mears is reliable and cheap. The reason the pickup is 3 hours before?
* unexpected delays happen
* there may be 1 or 2 more stops to pick up after you
* Security at MCO could be 10 minutes... or 100 minutes... they can't be the reason you didn't make your plane
Remember the standard is you should arrive for your flight at least 90 minutes before. Add 30 minute drive, add 30 minutes loading and unloading and getting upstairs... and 30 minute margin for error.

My warning on Uber and Lyft: depending on time of day, you may wait for a driver... 30 minutes... an hour... I watch as drivers take and drop my ride and I wait for a new one. Happens a lot. Also if you are at a resort with one front door that's fine, but if you want to be picked up in Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, CBR etc near your actual dooe it's not easy. The drivers don't all know these resorts. Uber would not let me select a specific location and I switched to Lyft which was far better at this (no wonder, because Minnie Van is done by Lyft).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter