• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo and That Table

jsmla

DIS Veteran
While solo Disney dining is new to me solo dining around home is not. I find here that I am often shown to the worst table in the reassurance-that tiny two top with the wobbly chair right next to the kitchen/restrooms/service area. On a regular old day of running errands around town I don't really care but I'd like to avoid this at WDW.

Have you, as a solo, ever refused a table? I'll be there during Free Dining so I expect the restaurants to be very busy. I have ADRs at:
Mama Melrose (FDP)
Jungle Skipper Canteen
Tiffins (RoLDP)
Chefs de France or Coral Reef
Wave (trying for Be Our Guest)

Thanks!

I did solo trip last September during the free dining period. Got 2 seater tables at every place except Cape May (I think that was a 4 seat table). None were in a bad location. Coral Reef was down on the floor by the tank not right next to it. Rose and Crown out on patio. Some places are tight with their table spacing.

Ate at Boma, Coral Reef, Rose and Crown, Tutto Italia, Cape May. I even braved Biergarten solo. Going back this September.

The only time I got a relatively bad table was at Tony's, and I was thinking that I should have refused the table. It was right at a very busy corner and in the middle of things. I say "relatively", however, because generally when I tell the hostess that Im solo, I've gotten some VERY nice tables-tankside at Coral Reef, on the porch at Rose and Crown (during lunchtime), windowside at California Grill, etc. And at Cape May I ended up with two servers, both of whom kept checking on me-it seems they wanted to make sure that "their" solo diner wasn't lonely.

Thanks, that's good to hear! I've dined solo at Brown Derby and Skipper Canteen and was happy with my table.

I don't mind a two top and expect it, just prefer one not jammed into a dark corner next to the restroom.

I'm perfectly okay with a not so great table-don't need to be near the tank at Coral Reef or anything like that. I don't mind a two-top at all just not one in a dark corner next to the restroom.

While solo Disney dining is new to me solo dining around home is not. I find here that I am often shown to the worst table in the reassurance-that tiny two top with the wobbly chair right next to the kitchen/restrooms/service area. On a regular old day of running errands around town I don't really care but I'd like to avoid this at WDW.

Have you, as a solo, ever refused a table? I'll be there during Free Dining so I expect the restaurants to be very busy. I have ADRs at:
Mama Melrose (FDP)
Jungle Skipper Canteen
Tiffins (RoLDP)
Chefs de France or Coral Reef
Wave (trying for Be Our Guest)

Thanks!
I've dined at all the restaurants listed, except Mama Melrose (Hollywood Brown Derby is my restaurant of choice at DHS) and have never gotten a bad table and I really don't think you would get that at any Disney eatery--unless jam packed and that's all they had left--but I don't think they would purposefully ever do that. You'd be surprised at how many solos go to Disney. On one of my trips last year at Chefs de France--there were 3 other solo diners right around my window table. Is this going to be your first time at Tiffins? If so, you're in for a treat--it's an absolutely beautiful restaurant and the glass artwork is stunning. Have a great time!

I don't like sitting near the hostess stand, restrooms, doors leading to exterior patios or service prep areas. I will ask for a different table at home and anywhere else.

Hi,

Sorry about your run of bad luck with the tables.
I've done many solo trips (and so many with my late DH) and while the majority of tables were great, have received some cra**y tables.

Never hesitated to request a different table and 99% of the time was cheerfully accommodated. :sunny:

Don't settle, you never lose anything by nicely asking. :flower1:

Good luck in the future.

Sometimes I liked my initial table, and other times I requested a different table. Sometimes I had to wait for the table I wanted, but eventually it usually worked out.

BTW I like the food at The Wave way better than the food at Be Our Guest.

I've dined at all the restaurants listed, except Mama Melrose (Hollywood Brown Derby is my restaurant of choice at DHS) ...................

.............Is this going to be your first time at Tiffins? If so, you're in for a treat--it's an absolutely beautiful restaurant and the glass artwork is stunning. Have a great time!

I love Brown Derby, we eat there, albeit mostly in the Lounge, fairly often and it's one of only two Disney TS that I've actually tried alone. Right now I actually have a late lunch at MM and an early dinner at BD reserved but will probably cancel BD. It's two TS credits and I've already got that RoL ADR at Tiffins. I opted for a Signature in AK because the other RoLDP option was at Tusker House-a character meal with a buffet-and therefore a no-go for me on several fronts. I last ate at Mama Melrose in 2014 and remember it as fine, nothing special but definitely edible.

This will be my first time at Tiffins and my only new restaurant. I'm most excited to try this one. I had an ADR back in January but had to cancel due to a lovely stomach bug I picked up on that trip.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate it. I probably should have mentioned that I'm very much a WDW vet, been going at least annually since 1989 and 3-4 times (often solo) each year since 2008. I've eaten in all of the in park TS restaurants and at many of those in the resorts. It's the solo thing that has my undies in a wad :sad2:

It's no big deal. The solo diner just has to stick up for him or herself. We made that ADR like everyone else. Don't want to sit at the bar ? Then don't. Tried to be put in a crappy table. No, thanks I will wait for a different table. This is your vacation that you spent a lot of money on. You should enjoy it.

Occupy that 4 seat table in the West Wing of BOG with pride.

I have been on 5 solo trips so far, having eaten at roughly 3 meals a day and each trip around 2 weeks long and I have had mostly very good to great experiences overall and on this issue of table "quality", let us say. But I agree it is very important.

However, I can distinctly remember some pretty bad tables and locations of them at 2 spots, and I have to say, it did color my overall dining experience and is partly why I probably haven't returned to these restaurants, in this way.

One was at Be Our Guest for Dinner - not only was it was one of those tiny tables they claim is for 2 but it was against the wall! Plus, the place is so crowded and noisy as it is and with it being against the wall, it just made me feel like claustrophobic. I've gone back there but only for the quick service breakfasts and lunches.

The other time my table was awful was at Via Napoli, and I believe it was also partly against the wall and just very skimpy. Also, the place just had no atmosphere and the waitstaff was rather uninterested in me. I don't know, I just hated it.

Now, I've also had some smaller tables including the aforementioned smaller tank-side table at Coral Reef where it didn't matter because the overall location and ambiance and waitstaff were so great that it elevated the experience.

One of the reasons I like a spacious table is I like to order apps, sometimes multiple, and when you add up the table setting, drink, bread service, and then sometimes they quick serve you with dinner when you just started your apps...you can see how having a paltry table with limited surface size can be a hazard! I've had times where they had no place to put my entre and I wasn't yet finished with my apps!

But I agree, if we know we need a bigger table, then we have to speak up. I've been getting better at that. I used to be so timid. Like, almost every time they try to shuffle me off to the bar for my seating, and every time I'm like "No thank you, I'd like a table, please." (I want to add, "Same as the ones that everyone else has who made a reservation has")

Once at Fulton's Crab House (now Paddlefish), not only did they try to put me at the bar, when I said no to that, then they tried to take me to one of those horrible little round tables that feels like it's a hundred feet off the ground where you climb up on those horrible, again BAR-stools to sit, and again I said "Oh no, I can't sit here, I need a regular table, please". And the best was that they weren't even busy and had so many regular tables, too! I ended up getting this like gargantuan size table, which was quite funny, I thought, with more room than I even needed! I loved it!

@RealBlast3

I'm only 5'2" and hate bar seats because my feet don't reach the rungs on those stools. I will definitely complain if I'm seated there!

I really don't mind a two-top as long as it isn't jammed into a dark corner where you're pretty much forced into looking at a wall while you eat.

I kinda feel like I want a shirt that says:

A. Yes, I am here alone
B. No, it's not sad.
C. I may not order 5 $60 steaks but I'm both a big lush and a fabulous tipper

I feel a metamorphosis coming on. I'm gonna go from someone who was too afraid to even enter a TS by herself into a militant "solo meals matter too" type ;-)

DD was a hostess and that job is trickier than you'd think. She would get grief from a customer for a bad table but major grief from the server whose crummy table sat empty all night. It was a mine field. I may be a little over empathetic.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed on my trip last year was the lack of bus people at the Disney restaurants. My first solo dinner was at Tutto Italia which is run by a outside restaurant group. There was a separate guy from my waitress that brought the bread, kept my water and ice tea perpetually filled, took the plates away. At the other restaurants it was just the waiter/waiteress who also had to set empty tables up for the next group of people. It took forever to my check at breakfast at Boma because the waitress was clearing and resetting after a large table.

I'm solo more often than not and do several TS meals each trip. The only bad table I can remember getting was at Rose and Crown - a 2 top right by the entrance with the PUB behind me... and the PUB was full and loud because a game was going on. At the very least I should have switched to the other side of the table so I was facing the PUB, but didn't think of it until I was done. I did get seated at the bar at Fulton's one time, as a PP has mentioned, and wasn't thrilled about it, but the bar-keep was wonderful and chatted with me the entire time so it turned in to a delightful experience.

I got two-tops when I did TS but they weren't in bad areas at all. They were at Tiffins and Skipper Canteen, both on your list. I don't think it would be an issue if you asked for a different table if you didn't like the one you were assigned. Disney is very accommodating. :)

Sorry to hear about your table locations. Doesn't hurt to request a section or to wait for another table. I'm mainly a solo Disney traveler. Never had any issues with being thrown at an undesirable table. This week is another solo trip and will be dinning at my usual spots. Now I'll be paying attention to where they seat me :) Honestly, none of it will be bothersome. I'm in Disney!

It's so reassuring to hear that so many solos have had decent tables, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have to say I've never had a bad table as a solo at WDW (plenty of 'em here at home though) but I've only tried it twice.

I guess I was trying to feel out what kind of response I'd get if I asked for a different table at WDW. The restaurants seem to always be so busy.

I've refused a table, both solo and with a group. If i dont like it, I ask for another one. Even if it means i have to wait, so be it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter