Solo and NOT Looking for Travel Friends, Meet-ups or Dates

ludari

DIS Veteran
I've been noticing several posts about people going solo who are looking for travel friends, meet-ups, lunch dates and sometimes even roommates. I have no problems with solo travelers looking for companions, but I go solo because I want to be alone and I crave my solitude while at the same time being at one of my favorite places. Am I the only one who feels this way? If so, I might need to seek therapy.

I've gone solo before and always felt like if a friend in the area can meet up great! If not great! I love going solo because you can travel at your own speed and if you want to wait 2 hours for a ride no one is there to complain about the wait.

I've been noticing several posts about people going solo who are looking for travel friends, meet-ups, lunch dates and sometimes even roommates. I have no problems with solo travelers looking for companions, but I go solo because I want to be alone and I crave my solitude while at the same time being at one of my favorite places. Am I the only one who feels this way? If so, I might need to seek therapy.

You certainly are not the only one! I'm a happily married mother. Our sons are grown and gone now, but even when they were teenagers, I had my solo time at WDW. Biy, did I love being by myself for that time! Sleeping as late as I wanted, eating when and what I wanted, reading as much as I wanted (I love to read), my "Mom's mental health" trip. We all go for different reasons, don't feel guilty about wanting to be alone.

I've made a new tradition of going a few days earlier than my travel companions just to have some alone time. It's so relaxing to do whatever I please whenever I please!
I do this every year! It lets me try out different Disney resorts and really enjoy being in such a beautiful magical place, while still looking forward to the second half of my vacation when my travel companions arrive.

Nope. Whenever I have a business trip nearby the Land or World I always tack on a few days for a solo trip. I get to ride the rides I want, eat what I want, and do what I want without complaints!

Not just you! When I plan a solo trip I may make an allowance in the schedule to meet up with a local friend for a day or two, if I have any local friends and they happen to be available, but the absolute last thing I'd want to do on a solo trip is to meet up with a new acquaintance for the first time. Sounds like a good way to turn a nice solo trip into a stress generator.

I enjoy time alone and enjoy the freedom to do as I please. On my last solo trip I noticed on my way around the parks, so many people were arguing and fussing. I had to laugh to myself that I didn't have to worry about that at all!

You certainly are not the only one! I'm a happily married mother. Our sons are grown and gone now, but even when they were teenagers, I had my solo time at WDW. Biy, did I love being by myself for that time! Sleeping as late as I wanted, eating when and what I wanted, reading as much as I wanted (I love to read), my "Mom's mental health" trip. We all go for different reasons, don't feel guilty about wanting to be alone.

I love this! It's so easy as a newish mom (baby is 18 months) that I shouldn't go solo to someplace that's traditionally thought of as a family place. This year, I was planning a girlfriend trip and she backed out. I had my little money saved and thought, okay where can I go on my own then? WDW! A short trip this year has led to a week for me next year. As I save my little pennies and look forward to some time away, I appreciate you saying that solo WDW is something you have enjoyed!

Love my solo trips and meeting up with someone would just add stress to the trip! Solo travelers have different goals for different trips and vary for why they are solo. Some solo travelers are extroverts who love meeting new people and are "solo" because they don't have friends or family to travel with for that particular trip - but since they love to travel - they are still going to go. Other solo travelers are introverts who value their alone trip and really planning to meet someone new stresses them out! Some solo travelers are adults in committed relationships whose partner either doesn't love Disney or can't travel due to commitments as much as their partner. Some solo travelers are looking to meet and build a friendship base. That's just to name few of the categories of solo travelers!

If you need therapy, I should go with you - oh, but that would be meeting up, and I'm not a meet-up person.

OP, I'm totally like you. I love doing things on my own, including WDW. I might chat a bit with someone in a line (if they start it), but I can't see myself signing up for lunch or more involved meet ups. I'm just not the sort of person who is easily comfortable in social situations.

I will say I would love to sign a whiteboard on someone's resort door, however, esp. if they are a DISer!

I totally understand you!

I'm married with two kids, and started to take them to Disney without DH when they were 4 and 6. Less people in the group, less I have to see what others want to do!

Now I take my DD alone most often, and we enjoy the space away from DH and DS. We go with the flow, and it's a lot of fun!

If I were to go solo, I would love it! Next trip with her (she's a senior) will be over her spring break. I know it will be harder to plan trips with her during busy college, so I may go for F&W solo in 2017 (never had a chance to go before). I would love the chance to come and go as I please (but with her, she's so easy going, it is almost as easy but for her health issues, so we do sometimes have to leave a park early).

I seem to do so much planning for vacations for others that I travel with, that my WDW trips give me the chance to get my own room:donald:! ...and get up when I want and eat where I want, shop when I want and walk, walk, walk everywhere--one thing that drives my friends crazy. I've been to Disney so many times now that it is no longer about the rides or even the restaurants, it's just about the way I feel when I'm surrounded by the magic.

This is me! That reminds me, I need to go plan my next solo trip :D

I've been noticing several posts about people going solo who are looking for travel friends, meet-ups, lunch dates and sometimes even roommates. I have no problems with solo travelers looking for companions, but I go solo because I want to be alone and I crave my solitude while at the same time being at one of my favourite places. Am I the only one who feels this way? If so, I might need to seek therapy.
I have never been on a solo trip but long to try it. I would be going so I can please myself and that is the whole point - I would only have to think about myself. I want to go where I want, ride what I want, eat where and when I want, stay where I want. I can change my mind on a whim, without having to explain to anyone or let anyone down or mostly importantly feel a commitment to anyone else. The more I type, the more I want to book a solo trip!

I have never been on a solo trip but long to try it. I would be going so I can please myself and that is the whole point - I would only have to think about myself. I want to go where I want, ride what I want, eat where and when I want, stay where I want. I can change my mind on a whim, without having to explain to anyone or let anyone down or mostly importantly feel a commitment to anyone else. The more I type, the more I want to book a solo trip!

It sounds like you need to book a solo trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter