Social Security- take early or later?

I didn’t read all the posts but if you make an SS inquiry with them and do not sign up then you can still use that date as a start date later if you decide to take your benefits.
Make an appointment and apply at a SS office much easier and quicker. When I applied they were scheduling 7 weeks out.

I didn’t read all the posts but if you make an SS inquiry with them and do not sign up then you can still use that date as a start date later if you decide to take your benefits.
Make an appointment and apply at a SS office much easier and quicker. When I applied they were scheduling 7 weeks out.
I called in November to see if I could make an appointment for December. was told no if I am retiring in March call in January. Call in January and they were all booked up for appointments well into March.
I ended up going in to an office after lunch on a Friday and took care of signing up for Medicare B and signing up to begin taking SS benefits in March. Could have done the SS on line but the person I did Medicare B added my name to the list of agents on the SS side. Medicare B can't be done on line.

I was in and out in 1.5 hours with the wait time.

Social Security can be great on the telephone, btw. At least in my experience, most of the agents (is that the correct term?) I've spoken to have been extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Not all, but most.

I'm a little confused about this. All my research says that if you paid into MC for x amount of time, part A is free. You do have to pay for Part B but you can opt out of it. Part A is hospitalization and Part B is doctor's visit's etc. You can also bump up to Part C and D or get private to supplement. There is a standard cost for part B, which of course goes up if you are making a higher income. Also, from what I understand you have no choice when you turn 65 except to take Part A, I know my boss was spitting mad about it when he turned 65 but found out his supplemental costs were actually going to be less than the company insurance so he was o.k. with it. He still doesn't draw SS and he is way into his 70s.
[/QUOTE Your boss is making a big mistake if he doesn't take SS and he is in his 70's. You won't get further growth if you don't collect. it is lost money. I am still working full time and will collect my SS in a month at 70 when I get full SS. My health is not great on paper but I plan to live as long a life as I can being productive and not on a budget. Retirement isn't for everyone so if you choose to keep working let it ride until 70 and get max benefit then. I plan to spend it on travel while working as long as my body and mind allow.

If you are able to sign up for SS online, that would be a much better use of your time then going to a local SS office. Have heard several stories from others of how long it takes when you go in person or what a waste of time it is waiting.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested--article in the Guardian today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/02/social-security-benefits-future-2020

Edit: This article explains why Social Security is actually not in danger of running out of funds. Also, the problem with funding Social Security could be fixed very easily by eliminating the income cap on contributing.

That was the most slanted article I think I have ever read. It is the left's version of Trump yelling "Fake news". The funny thing is in the middle of accusing conservatives and right-wingers of making up a false crisis, they actually admit that Social Security only has 15 years of solvency left. But it is not a crisis because "something will be done". The belief that something will be done does not leave me with a warm and fuzzy as I am 49 and 15 years is right around when I would be thinking of retiring.

Call me a pessimist but I have told people my age they are idiots if they are relying on Social Security being around when we retire. All the older generations have done nothing and will continue to do nothing to address it. Addressing it in 15 years will be 30 years too late.

That was the most slanted article I think I have ever read. It is the left's version of Trump yelling "Fake news". The funny thing is in the middle of accusing conservatives and right-wingers of making up a false crisis, they actually admit that Social Security only has 15 years of solvency left. But it is not a crisis because "something will be done". The belief that something will be done does not leave me with a warm and fuzzy as I am 49 and 15 years is right around when I would be thinking of retiring.

Call me a pessimist but I have told people my age they are idiots if they are relying on Social Security being around when we retire. All the older generations have done nothing and will continue to do nothing to address it. Addressing it in 15 years will be 30 years too late.

Even if nothing's done, it will be around...I mean, it's not like all the workers in the US would suddenly stop working and the 12.4% from their paychecks (1/2 them, 1/2 employer) would stop flowing to SS...so, SS wouldn't be gone, it would just be reduced...probably by that 25%ish number to start...

However, if you plan on SS as your sole source of income in retirement...and then get a 25% hit to that income...well, ask anyone who's taken an unexpected pay cut in their working lives - it's gonna suck...but unlike the workers, it will be too late for seniors to fix their financial position.

So, seeing how our government currently works, it's the prudent person in their 20s-50s who makes plans to make SS a happy extra, and not a need...we can all use extra money, but the trick to SS and its coming issues is not to need to have it, but to enjoy having it.

PS - The coming Medicare crisis will dwarf the SS one, anyway...so SS may not get fixed b/c paying for Medicare might end up being so costly (it already doesn't pay for itself with private insurance picking up the bills it doesn't pay - having seen my mom's recent hospital stays, I was floored with how little the hospitals get repaid on Medicare, and now not surprised why private pays so much on those bills - but no one is gonna ever triple senior rates for it to make it "even")...so, if there's one thing you would never want to lose, it's the Medicare...

I need to go look at my numbers (taking SS at 62 vs 67) but as I was giving this scenario to someone else.

Say, at 62, you will get $1000/month and at 67, you'll get $1500/month. So, in 5 years, you will have received $60,000. It will take you 120 months (10 years) to make up that extra $60,000, if you waited until 67. Do I know if I'll make it to 77? I hope so....but who knows? Anyhow, it's not going to be my sole retirement income so I'm ok taking it early. It's not like I can leave it to anyone :D

I need to go look at my numbers (taking SS at 62 vs 67) but as I was giving this scenario to someone else.

Say, at 62, you will get $1000/month and at 67, you'll get $1500/month. So, in 5 years, you will have received $60,000. It will take you 120 months (10 years) to make up that extra $60,000, if you waited until 67. Do I know if I'll make it to 77? I hope so....but who knows? Anyhow, it's not going to be my sole retirement income so I'm ok taking it early. It's not like I can leave it to anyone :D
You might not live beyond 77, but if you do, you would be pretty happy to have that bigger SS check that also includes a cost of living increase annually. This is the best protection against outliving your savings and having to rely on relatives to pay your bills.

My Dad celebrated his 90th birthday at Disneyland. He never expected to live this long; his father passed away in 1956, a year after Disneyland opened.

Even if nothing's done, it will be around...I mean, it's not like all the workers in the US would suddenly stop working and the 12.4% from their paychecks (1/2 them, 1/2 employer) would stop flowing to SS...so, SS wouldn't be gone, it would just be reduced...probably by that 25%ish number to start...

Imagine paying into SS for 47 years and then being told, tough luck here is your check diminished by 25% blame your parents and grandparents, don't whine to us.

In any event, boomers, enjoy having the luxury of choosing between retiring at 62 or waiting. It won't be a real choice for the rest of us.

Imagine paying into SS for 47 years and then being told, tough luck here is your check diminished by 25% blame your parents and grandparents, don't whine to us.

In any event, boomers, enjoy having the luxury of choosing between retiring at 62 or waiting. It won't be a real choice for the rest of us.
I hardly think the people who have contributed all their lives is the correct target to blame. The people controlling the money are to blame, not those who contribute and follow the rules for receiving benefits. And whats with the Boomer labels?

Last edited:
I hardly think the people who have contributed all their lives is the correct target to blame. The people controlling the money are to blame, not those who contribute and follow the rules for receiving benefits. And whats with the Boomer labels?
I meant the leadership generations on this issue. Not our grandparents specifically.

I'm not super worried about maximizing SS. I mean the difference in payments between 62 and 70 is not something that would impact my quality of life, given our additional resources. That said, I'll probably take it between 65 and 67.

I have been fortunate to have worked for companies with pensions (cash balance plans) for most of my career. I worked for one company for 8 years in my 20s and 30s, and now that pot of money is continuing to earn a guaranteed 4% interest rate (which influences my fixed income allocation in my investments). Models show I can get another 10K per year in retirement, minimum, including a spousal benefit. I think the main lesson for me from the financial crisis was that I am going to annuitize a big chunk of that and my pension at my current employer to provide stable income so that I don't have to sell to cover living expenses in a downfall. Also to keep 2-3 years of basic living expenses in cash once I retire. When I was starting my career the advice was always to roll it over and invest it yourself. I have chosen to leave it in the plan because I can't get a guaranteed 4% return, insured by the PBGC, anywhere. I may not be maximizing return, but there is something to be said for managing risk.

I'll just note, pensions. Another thing Gen X and younger don't have. :)

I am in my early 40s, so the younger end of Gen X, and every job I have had since school (4 different employers) there has been a pension. But always a cash balance plan, not a true defined benefit plan. Part of it is that it remains standard in the industry I have spend my whole career in.

I am in my early 40s, so the younger end of Gen X, and every job I have had since school (4 different employers) there has been a pension. But always a cash balance plan, not a true defined benefit plan. Part of it is that it remains standard in the industry I have spend my whole career in.
Well that is cool. I think most have been replaced by 401K plans. But I know people who cannot afford to fund their 401K and raise a family. There is a certain income level when it works, but below that level it is hard to sock away the same amount that a traditional company provided pension plan would provide.

Depends on your health. If you think you’re only going to live to 75, I’d take it early. If I think I’m going to live to 95, I’d wait. It also depends on your savings. Can you hold off on collecting it?
With my family history and advances in medicine, I'm working with the assumption that I'll live to 102.
Depends...which worries you more? Missing out on the money you paid in...or living in a possibly perilous financial state very late in life? And if neither are worries, what trade-offs do you want to make?
Well said. Regardless of when you start drawing SS, you're making a guess about your timing /lifespan. Which potential loss can you best live with?
Maximizemysocialsecurity.com, created by Larry Kotlikoff is $40, and opensocialsecurity.com, created by Mike Piper, is free. Both have books, which may be available at your public library.
Interesting! This might be just as good as my suggestion to get an expert opinion!
I got in just under the wire (born in 1953) and applied for the restricted application when I reached my full retirement age. I will receive half of what my husband’s retirement at full retirement age was and let my benefit based in my earnings continue to grow until I am 70. No one at social security tells you about this. You have to do your research.
My husband and I took a "retirement class" at the local community college, and I learned this fact in that class. Of course, I'm too young -- by a good bit -- to take advantage of it. My husband and I were -- by a good bit -- the youngest people in the class, but we didn't care: we thought it makes sense to know well in advance so you can make a plan and have time enough to work that plan.
We're healthy and active now, and want to be able to enjoy traveling and life while we can.
Not to be argumentative, but people say this all the time, and I don't really get it.
No, I don't want to waste away my young-retirement /healthiest years, but neither do I want to be old-old and in poor health and unable to pay for services I need /want or unable to buy things that might bring me comfort in those years. I don't know which of those two would be worse.
I've always liked the word BALANCE in regards to finances.
@Dznypal - you might find it helpful to search the aarp website, or do a google search on receiving your first check. From the aarp website, it says that SS benefits are paid 'behind' rather than 'ahead'.
That I did not know.
That is one of the bigger risks of waiting to start taking Social Security. Sooner or later the government is going to have to cut benefits in order to keep the program solvent. Might as well get as much out of it before your benefits are cut.
I am not all that worried about SS running out of money, but I do agree that you're "safer" once you're IN the program. By that, I mean, once you're collecting. I guess we're all in the program -- but most of us are contributors, not recipients.
If you're paying 6.2% of your income into it for decades (more if self-employed) then it better work out to more than a supplement. Investing 6.2% of your income in an index fund in an IRA/401(k) would give you a pretty big annuity by retirement if you were free to invest the money yourself.
Yes, if I had 6.2% (plus my employer's matching amount) and a lifetime of working years for it to grow with compound interest, I'd expect a whopping big pile of money. I don't think SS is a particularly good steward of our money.
On the other hand, I completely understand that without the program a bunch of people would save literally zero, and that would bring some strong negatives: elderly people who were laid off would suffer, other elderly people would "hold onto" jobs and young people would have a hard time finding work, and some elderly would literally die from lack of money.
And workers had pensions back then. Average workers were not saving multiple times their salary on their own.
False. Pensions are becoming more rare these days, but at no point in history have the majority of Americans had pensions.
Actually social security was created because elderly people were actually dying from poverty when they could no longer work. So I'm kind of happy that we at least fixed that.
Money from the SS pot also goes to disabled people and children under 18 who've lost a parent.
I'll just note, pensions. Another thing Gen X and younger don't have. :)
False. I'm a Gen-Xer, and I have a pension. I have many younger co-workers who have pensions.
Well that is cool. I think most have been replaced by 401K plans. But I know people who cannot afford to fund their 401K and raise a family. There is a certain income level when it works, but below that level it is hard to sock away the same amount that a traditional company provided pension plan would provide.
When you look at the tax breaks provided by 401K plans, the savings work out better than you'd expect.
Consider, too, that a pension ties you to the same job for 30+ years. How many young people today would give up their freedom to switch jobs in order to get a pension in three decades? How many companies won't be around in three decades?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter