Soarin'

I used to have a fear of heights but not as much anymore. It doesn't bother me. Try watching on youtube and see how you feel.

My mama has a fear of heights and she said, after riding, that you couldn't pay her enough money to ride it again. She didn't care for it at all but my Daddy loved it (they're 83)

I'm terrified of heights and the first time we rode Soarin' we were actually on the first row- which is highest. We were closest to the screen and I wasn't able to see the floor or the seats below us and it wasn't too bad. The second time we rode, we were in the middle or last row (I don't remember which one) and it was horrible. I could see the row above us and was able to see the floor below so I could really tell how high we were and I freaked- I was shaking and almost in tears when the ride was over. I haven't rode anymore and don't plan to.

I actually wouldn't do Row C if you're afraid of heights. In that row, you're *very* aware that you're hanging in midair because you see the dangling feet of the people above you and the floor, still way below you, beyond the bottom of the screen. I'd actually choose Row A, where you can just concentrate completely on the visuals and it feels more like watching a movie than watching a movie and glancing nervously down at the floor. Honestly, though, it's a very, very gentle ride and designed to make you feel safe while you're riding it.

(EDIT) Just like ssomerville says above :)

I'm terrified of heights and the first time we rode Soarin' we were actually on the first row- which is highest. We were closest to the screen and I wasn't able to see the floor or the seats below us and it wasn't too bad. The second time we rode, we were in the middle or last row (I don't remember which one) and it was horrible. I could see the row above us and was able to see the floor below so I could really tell how high we were and I freaked- I was shaking and almost in tears when the ride was over. I haven't rode anymore and don't plan to.

I bet you can ask a CM for Row A at Epcot to help your fear of heights. People ask all the time at DCA.

The only time I've felt conscious of heights on Soarin' was at DCA, when I wore sandals to the park. With those dangling from my feet, I was really aware of how far they'd fall and was afraid to lose them.

Lesson: if you wear sandals to a theme park, take them off before Soarin'.

I like Soarin' but it took me several times to adjust to it. It's not being up high that freaks me out, but the visuals. What works for me is to look down occasionally at the floor. If I can see anything like flip flops there, and the bottom of the screen, I have a point of reference so my brain remembers that I am not really flying in the sky, but sitting in a theater.

I am afraid of heights...my knees knock when I stand on a chair, and I sometimes get whoosie looking down from a steep, long flight of stairs. However, I love flying, must have a window seat and take-offs, landings, & turbulence do no bother me. I was talked into riding Soarin' by friends who are also afraid of heights and had no problem with the ride. I will NEVER ride it again. I was fine with everything except for every time the seat tilted forward (which happens a lot to simulate the flying aspect). Even though I was strapped in, I felt as though I would/could slide out of the seat and plummet to my untimely & brutal death. Obviously, that did not happen. When the seat tilted backwards, I felt safe & secure. I spent half an hour after the ride sitting on a bench with tears streaming down my face, shaking from head to toe, and my teeth chattering.

I am afraid of heights and falling. I have been on it three times and I just cant do it anymore. The visuals are so real feeling that I get nervous and scared. I really feel like I am up that high and that I am going to fall out.

Granted, my problem with heights is on the mild side, but Soarin' doesn't ping it at all.

How is Soarin' for someone who's afraid of heights? I can handle flying(but don't like looking out the window at take off and landing), I can handle rollercoasters because they go fast and you don't really realize the height you're at, but I can't handle ferriswheels and that sort of rides.

Boy, galaxygirl, I thought I was the only one who got sweaty hands, upset stomach, and felt like I was going to fall off the ride into oblivion!!!! I am afraid of heights, and this ride really bothers me, even when I tell myself that it is only a screen in front of me, I still get afraid. I ride it because everyone else thinks it's ok and loves it! I'm not the only one cause the last time I rode it the lady next to me grabbed my arm and shrunk back into her seat with a look of terror on her face the whole time. She apologized after the ride, but I said it was okay;) So, you are not alone in being afraid. Why do I still ride it??? I dont' know, guess I keep hoping it will not freak me outpixiedust:

I am definitely NOT afraid of heights, but I do have that moment at the start of Soarin where I think "whoa, don't move!". I don't think it would be good for anyone who's remotely afraid of heights.

And frankly, I find Soarin to be a little overrated. If you don't ride it, I don't think you're missing ALL that much so don't feel bad about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter