Soarin' Extremely Overrated

Networth

DIS Veteran
I always ride it when we go but to be honest I don't get the huge draw. The screen looks out dated and the "effect" of flying does not feel all that cool, and if your not In row 1 you get to see feet in front of you. Not a bad ride but I do not get the kind of attention and praise people give it.
Thoughts?

I agree, but I think most of it has to do with the lack of headliners in Epcot. Stick it in MK, and I don't think it has even close to the amount of hype it does now.

It's a good ride, but not good enough to wait 90 minutes for it.

I disagree. It's one of my favorites.
I can see feeling that way if you had to wait 60+ minutes to ride, but I'd feel that way about any ride after 60 minutes in line!

While I do think that they should redo the film, probably in HD....there is something about that ride that I love. Besides the beautiful music and smells, there is something about when the lights go down and you hear "Soarin' to Tower..." And the vehicle tops go down.....I get butterflies....:goodvibes

I would not wait an hour or more for it (or any ride, for that matter) but I find it to be a spectacular experience! Yes, the film is way overdue for an overhaul. But I also know more than one acrophobe who finds the "flying" effect to be real enough that they don't want to ride again!! (having tried it once).

The beauty of Disney: there's something for everyone. I will keep Soarin' high on my list. :goodvibes

I disagree. It's one of my favorites.
I can see feeling that way if you had to wait 60+ minutes to ride, but I'd feel that way about any ride after 60 minutes in line!

While I do think that they should redo the film, probably in HD....there is something about that ride that I love. Besides the beautiful music and smells, there is something about when the lights go down and you hear "Soarin' to Tower..." And the vehicle tops go down.....I get butterflies....:goodvibes

I agree! This is one of my favorites.:thumbsup2 Its just simply Disney Dreamy! pixiedust: I'm sure much of it is the music, the smell and Ahhh.... the lift! :goodvibes Of course that is what Disney is! :wizard:

There are many rides I love, but they probably could be updated, but it is all in the story telling.

Many haven't changed for years. Like Peter Pan, Whinnie the Pooh, and at DLR.. Mr Toads Wild Ride... but they still are Disney Magic.

I love it. But I loved it the moment they put it in DCA. I grew up near California and DL so a lot of it is close to home for me. I also think its an amazing ride and my kids LOVE it. That said, I would never wait more than 20 minutes for it, but I refuse to wait longer than that for any ride. I think the lines for it are ridiculous. Also the queue is horribly boring. I prefer the queue in DCA and its placement there makes much more sense to me.

Count me among those who absolutely love it!!! (Although we had noticed that the print seems to be getting a little worn.) We also only go on slow days so we've never waited more than 30 min. If I had to wait an hour+ I might not be as completely enthusiastic. :)

Yep, what she said.

I would not wait an hour or more for it (or any ride, for that matter) but I find it to be a spectacular experience! Yes, the film is way overdue for an overhaul. But I also know more than one acrophobe who finds the "flying" effect to be real enough that they don't want to ride again!! (having tried it once).

The beauty of Disney: there's something for everyone. I will keep Soarin' high on my list. :goodvibes

I love the ride, too. My daughter and I have ridden it MANY times at this point, and it just always makes me feel good. But if I *was* getting a bit jaded about it, my last trip would have fixed that--we were in a row with a group of young teenagers (I'd say 13-15) who had never ridden it before. In fact, I'd feel pretty safe guessing that they'd never been to Disney or anything like it before. Their obvious delight in the ride was just a joy. It reminded me of everything I love about the ride. :)

My love for Soarin' is directly proportional to the amount of time I wait to ride it. The shorter the wait, the greater the love.

I guess I should of mentioned that in my original post. Yes if I only have to wait 20mins or less it's a unique fun ride. What I don't understand is the 60,90,120 min waits and people stand in line. Given most are not on this board but still the ride packs them in no matter the wait.

Than again I prefer mission space maybe I'm just odd lol. But yes Epcot needs some more headliners desperately. I LOVE WS but future world feels like a shell of its former glory.

Oh and side not I don't know much about projection systems and so on but making the film HD would do wonders in my opinion and I can't imagine it costing multi-millions to do.

On our recent trip I was very disappointed to see dirt particles falling through the field of view on the screen. It just seemed neglected. The ride, though, was fun. But I wouldn't wait 60 minutes for it now that I've ridden it a couple of times.

My love for Soarin' is directly proportional to the amount of time I wait to ride it. The shorter the wait, the greater the love.

I can't think of a ride at Disney that this statement doesn't sum up. There isn't one there that is worth a ninety minute wait at this time of my life - unless I don't have anything else to do.

Count me as one who does not like the ride. Nothing special at all. I really have no intentions of riding when we go in Feb. Maybe if it is less than 15 minute wait I might consider it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter