• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So We Are Going Back To Akl

PrincessSuzanne

<font color=red>Guess I will be eating crow tonigh
I said that I wouldn't stay at AKL again, because of the distance to the parks, but I booked an unbelievable AP package and we are staying there in a Pool View room for 8 nights Dec 13-21.

We stayed there last December for 2 nights and loved the beds, but not the travel distance and I said I wouldn't stay there again. Please tell me I didn't make the wrong choice.

Suzanne

i think if you enjoyed the resort the first time then you made the right choice. the travel time may be a little more than some other resorts, but if you enjoy AKL itself whats a few more minutes back and forth. :confused3 have a great trip.

I said that I wouldn't stay at AKL again, because of the distance to the parks, but I booked an unbelievable AP package and we are staying there in a Pool View room for 8 nights Dec 13-21.

We stayed there last December for 2 nights and loved the beds, but not the travel distance and I said I wouldn't stay there again. Please tell me I didn't make the wrong choice.

Suzanne

I personally don't think you can make a wrong choice when it comes to AKl..AKV:goodvibes
Add in an Unbelievable AP rate......:banana:

And from what I have read, and heard from friends, AKL is beautiful at Christmas time:cloud9:
Bus service is pretty good here as well.....I never had any issues, even when I was running late for an ADR at LTT before MNSSHP last month:goodvibes

The first time I stayed at AKL I had the same feeling about the distance to the parks. It really bothered me. The second time it did not bother me so much and the third time it bothered me even less. The fourth time we stay there (which will be in early 2010), I am sure it won't be an issue at all.

AKL is such a beautiful resort and has such wonderful amenities that over time the travel time to the parks begins to matter less and less.

Thank you for all the responses. I don't think we really had time to fully appreciate the resort, because of an issue with mousekeeping, so I plan on taking the time to stop and smell the roses (or should I say see the animals), since we will have the time. I think being away from the parks will allow us to be more relaxed, too.

Suzanne

We just got back last week from AKL and although the distance is further, it is not significant enough to outweigh the amazing-ness (i know, not a word!) of the resort. It is incredible. You did not make a mistake. (Did that help? hehe :goodvibes )

We just got back last week from AKL and although the distance is further, it is not significant enough to outweigh the amazing-ness (i know, not a word!) of the resort. It is incredible. You did not make a mistake. (Did that help? hehe :goodvibes )

Amazing-ness is a great word. I know the resort is amazing and I am going to hopefully relax a little, goodness knows I will need to by then, and this will be the perfect place to do it. I didn't think I had made a mistake, but just needed some reassurance, Thank you.

Suzanne

AKL at Christmas is awesome. Nothing like seeing DD2/3 watching the tv in the AKL lobby right next to the biggest Xmas tree she'd ever seen. She was in her Minnie Mouse pj's and slippers; truly adorable moment for me and one i'll never forget.

You didn't make the wrong choice. AKL is our favorite resort and the extra 10 minute drive to get to MK is not even worth mentioning. Have fun and we'll be there one week before you so we'll post up TR's when we return.

DH & I spent a fantastic anniversary celebration at AKL in September & actually chose it because of the animals, activities, etc. The distance to the park made no difference to us. It's the same argument people use in talking about the distance from POP or the AllStars to the different parks because they're further out. For us the bus trip was always nice & relaxing. You meet some amazing people on the bus rides. Our longest wait for a bus was actually a return trip from DTD to AKL when we waited 45 minutes in a huge thunderstorm for a bus to come back & get all of us drenched people.

Just back from our first stay at AKL. I did not find the travel times to be an issue at all. In fact the trips from BC and BW were AWFUL in comparison with all the many, many stops those busses make. That drove me nuts! Plus the trip to AK is so short, and we love that park. And the lodge itself is so unique and drop-dead gorgeous. I say it's worth a couple more minutes on the bus!!! Have a wonderful time in December!!!!

AKL at Christmas is awesome. Nothing like seeing DD2/3 watching the tv in the AKL lobby right next to the biggest Xmas tree she'd ever seen. She was in her Minnie Mouse pj's and slippers; truly adorable moment for me and one i'll never forget.

Cute!!!:cloud9: I LOVE those moments!!

Thank you all so much. I am getting more and more excited about it. My 10 year old cousin that is staying with us, said she can't sty near those animals, cause she only like house pet animals, they say the darndest things don't they. I told her we would stay with a view of the pool, so she said that was okay with her, she just hopes it is warm enough to swim, which it probably will be. I know her little brother and sister will want to come over with us one afternoon and see the animals, so that will be a treat for them. DH would rather stay at Wilderness Lodge, but I kinda keep that as a special thing for the 2 of us. He will get over it, better to please the child than the adult.

Suzanne

I just wanted to say we will be there 12/18-24 this will be our first time and I am so looking forward to it. I have always kind of felt like I didn't want to stay there b/c everyone talks about how far the traveling is but I have it in me to stay at every one of disney's resorts and w/ the incredible discount we got it was better than free dining so I just couldn't pass it up. I am getting more and more excited as the days go by. Right now it will be me my two dd's and my MIL, dh is not sure if he is going to be home to go w/ us. Have a great trip.

I just wanted to say we will be there 12/18-24 this will be our first time and I am so looking forward to it. I have always kind of felt like I didn't want to stay there b/c everyone talks about how far the traveling is but I have it in me to stay at every one of disney's resorts and w/ the incredible discount we got it was better than free dining so I just couldn't pass it up. I am getting more and more excited as the days go by. Right now it will be me my two dd's and my MIL, dh is not sure if he is going to be home to go w/ us. Have a great trip.

Dh, Dcousin10, and I will be there Dec 13-21. Dcousin's mthr, little brother and sister and aunt will be at Pop Dec 13-19, but I am sure the little ones will want to come over to see the animals.

Suzanne

When I was booking they told me to make sure and ask the front desk to borrow the night vision goggles to see the animals the kids love it so that's what we will be doing at least one evening we have ressies at Jiko.

I will add that to my list, we will probably have a couple of early evenings, since we have mostly early mornings.

Suzanne

When I was booking they told me to make sure and ask the front desk to borrow the night vision goggles to see the animals the kids love it so that's what we will be doing at least one evening we have ressies at Jiko.

There's a whole list of daily activities on a board right by the check in area in the lobby. We did the night vision goggles our very first night there & it was great. I think there's only a couple pairs of the goggles, so you have to share. Also going out & talking to the different CM's on the savannahs was very interesting too. There's so many different areas that you can walk out & view the animals. We had a room on the Sunset Savanna and our favorite part of the day was just sitting on the balcony relaxing and watching all the animals. We loved the pool, and dinner at BOMA was fantastic. Have fun! :cutie:

We love dinner at boma as well but since we have a dinner at Jiko we decided to try breakfast at boma so I am really looking forward to that.

Just back from our first stay at AKL. I did not find the travel times to be an issue at all. In fact the trips from BC and BW were AWFUL in comparison with all the many, many stops those busses make. That drove me nuts! Plus the trip to AK is so short, and we love that park. And the lodge itself is so unique and drop-dead gorgeous. I say it's worth a couple more minutes on the bus!!! Have a wonderful time in December!!!!

AKL is on our list of resorts-to-do. I think I would rather take a bus on a longer distance (for example AKL to MK) than to deal with the boat from BC/YC to The Studios (just did that last week, ugh!). Waiting for and riding that boat has always been a grueling process.

AKL doesn't share buses with other resorts, so maybe it will be ok. I love the look of the lodge and would love to stay there. Have fun!

Tink
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1988280 CBR resort report Oct 2008

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1989297 BC resort report in progress Oct 2008

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter