• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

So much Disney food is terrible

Do they not have fruit places? I feel like they do? I am not sure because its something I pick up at the grocery store the day we arrive.

Same with the OPs breakfast comment. If you are worried about "value" for breakfast then you buy something from the grocery store and make it before you go to the park. The exception would be something from the bakeries possibly.
As I mentioned in another comment, the issue I have is that the variety of fruit is lacking and the actual fruit quality sucks.

I agree with you. And what are your favorite establishments? Now I rarely eat in restaurants because my stomach is very bloated. But thanks to this article, I realized what I was doing wrong. At the moment I try to eat as healthy as possible to feel good and not have problems with bloating and stomach in general

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of spice! (Grew up in a salt-free household) We don't eat at McDonalds ever. We do the best we can at WDW, ABC Commissary has some decent options, Columbia Harbor House, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. I don't expect gourmet CS options. The pre-made wraps they have at AK for breakfast are edible.

We very rarely eat fast food. I travel for work, eat at very good restaurants fairly frequently as part of the gig, and I find the food at a lot of the signature dining experiences to be quite tasty. Throw in the atmosphere and theming and I really enjoy. Quick service we’re far more selective with because it’s just not our type of fare. Plan our vacation around restaurants.

If you’re expecting to go to Disney and not have expensive everything, sounds like a you problem. Plenty to complain about in this world, Disney World won’t be the hill I choose to die on.

I just took it as them venting that most of the food they ate was expensive and not very good. Some people love the food at Disney, some hate it, some are indifferent. Life is likely more pleasant for those who never feel the need to complain, but I do believe that complainers are drivers of change, to a degree. Disney can do better was the point I was making, at least.
I guess we have differing opinions on the OP. I surely do not see them as a driver of change.

Unfortunately they won't be. Any time a Disney restaurant goes outside of the box with food offerings, they quickly become dumbed down. Probably due to a combo of cost and of guest's palates.

The OP wants McDonalds breakfast.....

You can get a better one frozen from the local Publix on arrival at MCO to Microwave.

McDonalds is fine but that are drastically better places at Disney. Anyone who says otherwise is simply someone you shouldn't listen to regarding food reviews.

I agree about the signature prices. The signature restaurants are in line for fine dining where I am (South Jersey/Philadelphia area).
The prices are fine dining, but the quality isn’t. Most are so busy that they fall into banquet style service - the food is mass prepared rather than on demand for each guest. Our server last time at Be Our Guest said that the head chef isn’t monitoring the food that goes out, only what gets sent back.

Even Cali Grill which is sized like a local fine dining establishment, is not up to standard for its prices. The prix fixe menu has odd items like flatbreads that are not what I would expect as an appetizer at that level of restaurant - a brew pub maybe?

The prices are fine dining, but the quality isn’t. Most are so busy that they fall into banquet style service - the food is mass prepared rather than on demand for each guest. Our server last time at Be Our Guest said that the head chef isn’t monitoring the food that goes out, only what gets sent back.

Even Cali Grill which is sized like a local fine dining establishment, is not up to standard for its prices. The prix fixe menu has odd items like flatbreads that are not what I would expect as an appetizer at that level of restaurant - a brew pub maybe?
I'd be happy to pay those prices any day to dine in a themed establishment like Be Our Guest. It costs almost the same to have a 3-course meal at the diner inside our local department store.

I don’t consider Be Our Guest, Artist Point or CRT signature dining. They may be on paper but we know that’s due to the location, theme and/or characters. That goes for all those kinds of places.

I’ve had great meals at Cali Grill but not a fan of the prix fixe. We all know that’s due to the view. Places in Philadelphia with rooftop views are pricey and don’t always have the best food. So it’s the same deal at WDW.

As for other signature meals like Topolino’s, Narcoosee’s, Citricos, etc they are in line with fine dining in my area when it comes to price and quality.

Last edited:
Our WDW breakfasts are half @ Starbucks or Dunkin on the way or cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate in park. Never failed.

Our lunches are generally an in park TS to get out of the heat and have a sitdown. Occasionally a monorail restaurant in MK. We'll do a CS occasionally as well if the cuisine is right.
Never failed.

Dinner is a nicer TS and we'll often drive there if we can to avoid busses and mass transport. Never failed.

Never had a temperature issue.
Spicing has consistently gone blander even at YnY and Tiffins.

I don't got to parks for fruit, if I want it, I bring it.

Granted I have years literally of theme park experience but finding dining you will enjoy is a basic travel skill. Preferring fast food over Disney options is not a Disney problem. It's a palate problem and possibly a frugality problem.

Our WDW breakfasts are half @ Starbucks or Dunkin on the way or cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate in park. Never failed.

Our lunches are generally an in park TS to get out of the heat and have a sitdown. Occasionally a monorail restaurant in MK. We'll do a CS occasionally as well if the cuisine is right.
Never failed.

Dinner is a nicer TS and we'll often drive there if we can to avoid busses and mass transport. Never failed.

Never had a temperature issue.
Spicing has consistently gone blander even at YnY and Tiffins.

I don't got to parks for fruit, if I want it, I bring it.

Granted I have years literally of theme park experience but finding dining you will enjoy is a basic travel skill. Preferring fast food over Disney options is not a Disney problem. It's a palate problem and possibly a frugality problem.

You should buy a lottery ticket.

As for other signature meals like Topolino’s, Narcoosee’s
I agree with you. These are probably the only two places on property I would eat if they were near my home. I’ve never had VA or TT, but I assume they are even better as they are very expensive.

With that said, my point remains- there are places that are doing it on Disney property (offering higher prices but good food), so why can’t they all? There are places that cost almost as much as these places that offer slop, and they get a pass.

I agree with you. These are probably the only two places on property I would eat if they were near my home. I’ve never had VA or TT, but I assume they are even better as they are very expensive.

With that said, my point remains- there are places that are doing it on Disney property (offering higher prices but good food), so why can’t they all? There are places that cost almost as much as these places that offer slop, and they get a pass.

I’ve eaten at BOG, CRT and many other places at Disney and have never been served slop.

I do go in knowing I’m paying a premium for experience, theming and characters and understand that the $75 for lunch or dinner will not be on par with a true signature dining experience. Same as when I go to a rooftop restaurant/bar in my city. I know I’m going to pay $20 for an average cocktail and $20-25 for two tiny sliders. It’s all about expectations.

I would say the turnover is much higher at BOG and CRT over true signature dining experiences so it’s much harder to keep up with the highest quality food. Also Disney doesn’t have to buy the best cuts of meat for these places. They fill up on their own without having to offer the highest quality ingredients.

Let me see if I can distill down some of the frustration:

For QUICK SERVICE specifically (burgers, chicken, etc) it seems unreasonable that Disney can’t get something better tasting on par with normal fast food like McDonald’s. McD’s also feeds hundreds of thousands of mouths a day and their food tastes better (to most people). So I’m fine paying $11.99 for a theme park cheeseburger but why doesn’t it taste as good as regular fast food? 🤡

Exceptions are the newer QS spots like Docking Bay 7, Ronto Roasters, Woody’s Lunchbox, Satuli Canteen.

So yeah, clearly it’s a choice. I have a hard time believing they can’t find another supplier with good margins that doesn’t taste like garbage.

I won’t touch TS or Signature here because some of it is Olive Garden quality (STILL DELICIOUS!) and some of it is objectively good food, neither of which are an issue. It’s QS. STOP IT WITH THE STALE CINNAMON ROLLS AND BREAD we’re begging 😹

Honestly, I don't find most things to be terrible - the little round pizzas (Pizzafari, Pizzarizzo-style) are an exception for sure though.
You take that back, I love PizzeRizzo 😂

So yeah, clearly it’s a choice. I have a hard time believing they can’t find another supplier with good margins that doesn’t taste like garbage.

Yeah, that’s the point I was trying to make. We are talking quality based on price point. I’m not talking about just signature or just QS, I’m saying I bought a burger at Backlot that I wouldn’t feed to my worst enemy and it was like 14 bucks. Why does that exist when the burger at Primo Piatto is actually decent for the same price? I’m not gonna cut Disney slack, it’s a choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter