So many options... So confusing..

LynnTH

DIS Veteran
So, I think we have narrowed it down to go back to Disney next year when the kids get out of school (end of May/beginning of June 2013). In the past we have only gone during spring break and have only stayed on Disney property. The first 4 times we did all the Value resorts. Then I found out about renting DVC Points, so the last 3 times have been at AKV and BWV.

So, I thought I had it all figured out that we would try and rent points again but this time would stay at the Beach Club. I love the look of the place, the pool and how you can walk right to Epcot and it is so close to DHS and the fact we still have the Boardwalk right there.

Well, then I started reading more on offsite locations and got really interested in Bonnet Creek. the pools look great and the rentals look awesome also. So, was really considering those - looking at the pros and cons on staying there and the Beach Club and then I find out about Windsor Hills and the 4/5/6 Bedroom Houses with their own pools and game rooms in the houses plus the clubhouse with a main pool, movie theater, basketball etc. I was showing my kids these last night (they will be 14 and 12 next year) and they thought these looked awesome and didn't want to stay at Disney at all....

I am so confused on what to do. I want all the ammenities and cost of these other places but on Disney property. (Love the convenience of walking to Epcot, the Boats and don't mind the busses. Love the refillable mugs. Love being able to charge to your room and send items purchased to the room. Love all the theming) But, is it worth the extra money to do this. It would be our family of 4 and my Sister-In-Law and her 2 kids ( 11 and 7). So, we would split the cost of the offsite places but would just get studios if on site.

I know many of you have been in this situation and went back and forth also. Just looking for opinions. Sorry this was so long...

Also, does anyone know of any places like Windsor Hills in Florida that is on a beach??

Also considering staying 2 weeks or so. Maybe 1 onsite and 1 off but not sure... too many options.

WE've stayed onsite in value, moderates and deluxes.
We've stayed off site in condos, resorts, townhomes and homes.

They've all been good trips, but it comes down to what you are looking for in each trip.

If it was just dh and I we stay onsite in a mod or DVC. This, btw, never happens anymore as the adult kids always want to come with us :)

When part or all of the family comes we stay offsite for these two reasons:
COST and PRIVACY. Other reasons include having space, a kitchen and our own pool (we'll be staying at WBC for the first time next week, so we're giving up our own pool this time to see how that works for us).

I don't particularly think the magic is worth the increase in cost to stay onsite, but others disagree. I do miss it, though. Transportation is never an issue as we always have our on car while off-site. We've stayed in Vistana, Cypress Point, Windsor Hills, Sanctuary at West Haven, and Indian Creek....always took a break mid day to come back and chill for awhile.

IF money and privacy aren't issues, I think renting points for a DVD is awesome. If they are issues, staying offsite is a viable, enjoyable option.

Just my 2 cents.

Different people will have different opinions on what way to go and what is worth the cost. Since we've done about 23 trips to the area since 1970 we've done a variety of different things.

Many people love being immersed in Disney 24/7 and like to usually stay onsite. Some try offsite and say never again. Others stay offsite and say why didn't I do this earlier, I didn't miss being onsite at all. (If you especially like walking to Epcot (favorite vacation memory) you might really miss being onsite.) Friends of ours camp at Fort Wilderness and do two trips every year. They get annual passes and usually do a park every morning, come back and enjoy their resort or a waterpark in the afternoon and in the evening maybe go to a park favorite just to get an ice cream cone and ride one favorite ride or something like that some nights. Different people in their party do different things too. Offsite just wouldn't work that well if this is your style.// What you plan to do on each of your vacation days would be a factor too. If like us some of your favorite things to do are offsite, giving up onsite is easy. We for example are huge SeaWorld fans and on a six day trip always spend two days there. We usually do a Kennedy Space Center or Beach day too and only one Disney park per trip and one three hour period in WDW to do one Disney table service dining experience and check out the related resort. I think that makes a huge difference in these sorts of decisions. It makes offsite a no brainer for us.

Many like the offsite condo/timeshare resorts. This is my most frequent choice.

Many love the privacy of their own pool and the space of a pool house. This is typically a less expensive option than even a condo/timeshare resort owner rental and is especially good for a very large group. There are some huge houses you can get that will have lots of bedrooms and bathrooms.

My personal favorite if our party size is nine of less is to do an offsite timeshare condo. I love the value you get for your dollar. I love the ammenities -- kitchen -- washer/dryer, nice screened in balcony, LV/DR area for family visiting, pools and hot tubs, and tennis courts. I usually rent these for a week from timeshare owners and end up paying a price somewhere between a value and a moderate for a two or three bedroom condo. This has been my most frequent pick on trips, but I do mix it up especially for shorter stays. // Another big factor for me, though, has always been budget. Usually my Oralndo trips are budget trips so in reality for my limited budget (a particular dollar amount that I do not go over), the offsite condo is what I like most. I've never actually budgeted enough money to stay deluxe on my own or rent DVC points which are expensive high reason - way more than what we pay for offsite condos. I have stayed deluxe at the Contemporary for four different four night trips, but this was when DH had conferences there, so accomodations were no cost to us. I did like being able to walk to the MK --- loved the tower view room and balconies and being on the monerail. Really like a kitchen and more space though for a longer stay. Also I do not like the deluxe prices and in decisions always opted for an annual add on trip (Disney was never our main vacation for the year). Did a Disney add on trip every year been 2006 and 2011 (six years in a row) rather than an add on trip every three years, which is what the cost differential for me for deluxe or DVC would have been. Also, easy for me in choosing is that there is no way anyone else in my extended family would pay for onsite (just wouldn't consider it to be a good value) and staying together and being with the extended family on the trip was one of the main reasons for going on most trips too.

I generally prefer a condo resort over a private house due to more of a resort feel. I only did the house option once and missed the resort feel. Some though really like to have their own little pool. I would probably go for a house again too if I had a party bigger than nine and we all wanted to stay in the same unit. The largest party size we usually have is nine, and we usually rent a Cypress Pointe timeshare when that is the case as they have so many three bedrooms that are readily available for good prices from timeshare owners. With slightly smaller groups eight or less and when we only need a two bedroom, there are just sooo many great choice and we've tried many different great resorts -- haven't been disappointed with any of these and have loved trying out different ones / have done my share of repeats too.

Anyway good luck to you. I think considerations need to include budget and what you value (It sounds like you are down to picking between proximity to Epcot vs. more space/lower price.)

Different people will have different opinions on what way to go and what is worth the cost. Since we've done about 23 trips to the area since 1970 we've done a variety of different things.

Many people love being immersed in Disney 24/7 and like to usually stay onsite. Some try offsite and say never again. Others stay offsite and say why didn't I do this earlier, I didn't miss being onsite at all. (If you especially like walking to Epcot (favorite vacation memory) you might really miss being onsite.) Friends of ours camp at Fort Wilderness and do two trips every year. They get annual passes and usually do a park every morning, come back and enjoy their resort or a waterpark in the afternoon and in the evening maybe go to a park favorite just to get an ice cream cone and ride one favorite ride or something like that some nights. Offsite just wouldn't work that well if this is your style.// What you plan to do on each of your vacation days would be a factor too. If like us some of your favorite things to do are offsite, giving up onsite is easy. We for example are huge SeaWorld fans and on a six day trip always spend two days there. We usually do a Kennedy Space Center or Beach day too and only one Disney park per trip and one three hour period in WDW to do one Disney table service dining experience and check out the related resort. I think that makes a huge difference in these sorts of decisions. It makes offsite a no brainer for us.

Many like the offsite condo/timeshare resorts. This is my most frequent choice.

Many love the privacy of their own pool and the space of a pool house. This is typically a less expensive option than even a condo/timeshare resort owner rental and is especially good for a very large group. There are some huge houses you can get that will have lots of bedrooms and bathrooms.

My personal favorite if our party size is nine of less is to do an offsite timeshare condo. I love the value you get for your dollar. I love the ammenities -- kitchen -- washer/dryer, nice screened in balcony, LV/DR area for family visiting, pools and hot tubs, and tennis courts. I usually rent these for a week from timeshare owners and end up paying a price somewhere between a value and a moderate for a two or three bedroom condo. This has been my most freqent pick on trips, but I do mix it up especially for shorter stays. // Another big factor for me, though, has always been budget. Usually my Oralndo trips are budget trips so in reality for my limited budget (a particular dollar amount that I do not go over), the offsite condo is what I like most. I've never actually budgeted enough money to stay deluxe on my own. I have stayed deluxe at the Contemporary for four different four night trips, but this was when DH had conferences there, so accomodations were no cost to us. I did like being able to walk to the MK --- loved the tower view room and balconies and being on the monerail. Really like a kitchen and more space though for a longer stay. Also I do not like the deluxe prices and in decisions always opted for an annual add on trip (Disney was never our main vacation for the year). Did a Disney add on trip every year been 2006 and 2011 (six years in a row) rather than an add on trip every three or four years, which is what the cost differential for me for deluxe would have been. Also, easy for me in choosing is that there is no way anyone else in my extended family would pay for onsite (just wouldn't consider it to be a good value) and staying together and being with the extended family on the trip was one of the main reasons for going on most trips too.

I generally prefer a condo resort over a private house due to more of a resort feel. I only did the house option once and missed the resort feel. Some though really like to have their own little pool. I would probably go for a house again too if I had a party bigger than nine and we all wanted to stay in the same unit. The largest party size we usually have is nine, and we usually rent a Cypress Pointe timeshare when that is the case as they have so many three bedrooms that are readily available for good prices from timeshare owners. With slightly smaller groups eight or less and when we only need a two bedroom, there are just sooo many great choice and we've tried many different great resorts -- haven't been disappointed with any of these and have loved trying out different ones / have done my share of repeats too.

Anyway good luck to you. I think considerations need to include budget and what you value (It sounds like you are down to picking between proximity to Epcot vs. more space/lower price.)

I am so confused on what to do. I want all the ammenities and cost of these other places but on Disney property. (Love the convenience of walking to Epcot, the Boats and don't mind the busses. Love the refillable mugs. Love being able to charge to your room and send items purchased to the room. Love all the theming) But, is it worth the extra money to do this. It would be our family of 4 and my Sister-In-Law and her 2 kids ( 11 and 7). So, we would split the cost of the offsite places but would just get studios if on site.
ing off site is not for every one and they have all the additional choices just for this reason. We have stayed in many different types.

Single Hotel room can not remember it was in DTD
Hotel with kid suite
Disney YBC
Vistana resort
Vacation home

All were clean, very nice places to stay. I would never stay in a hotel again if there are homes/condos near by. The resort was very nice for room but had to drive for pools.

We loved the pool homes for space, pool, privacy and washer. We also loved coming home and feeling relaxed not having to take a few days to get back into the swing of things. We have found what fits our family best.

Only you can decide what is best for your group.

Also, does anyone know of any places like Windsor Hills in Florida that is on a beach??

Disney is located in the center of Florida. It is approx. 11/4 hours to the beaches.

Also considering staying 2 weeks or so. Maybe 1 onsite and 1 off but not sure... too many options.

Personally I think this is a great idea. You get to see what works trying different options. Take the option that has the washer on hand second so you can go with clean cloths on site. When done go to the rental do your wash and you are good to go for the next week and can have clean cloths going home. Also we all do down days and one of your down days can be packing up and going some where different.

There are plenty to do outside of the World enjoy it all!

Thanks for your feedback guys. You give me a lot to think about. I really like the offsite options but not sure if I would regret not staying at the Beach Club as I have really wanted to stay there. I like the idea of having our uwn pool and game room for the kids but also like the resort feel. My sister in law and kids have never been to Disney. Lots to consider. Thanks for your input.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek is amazing! Just got back last month from our first stay there (10 nights!) and I'll never stay on property again! (I've stayed in 2 deluxes and 2 moderates at WDW.) However, I've never liked the busses and have always rented a car, so that's not a factor for me.

Tons of space in the units, gorgeous resort, super close to DHS and Epcot. I was afraid I would miss being onsite but I didn't AT ALL! Loved having a washer and dryer in the room. Can't believe it was only $120/night.

Rental houses have never appealed to me. I like the feel of staying at a resort, not a house.

We left onsite 11 years ago and have been doing the timeshare rental ever since. We love it for the huge units, all the money you will save, and the great resorts. We stock up the fridge and do breakfast, lunch, and snacks from our resort. The beautiful resorts always have lots of activities for the kids to do. The last few trips we have done we never even made it to Disney. just make sure you stay with a brand name to ensure high quality (Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton).

Good luck.
Jeff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter