SO EXCITED... It's almost here... WAIT, that wasn't supposed to happen!

stackyallred

DIS Veteran
I guess I am just feeling a bit stressed and looking to see if anyone else here would want to share their similar experience. Let me explain...

DH and I go to WDW every year, with this year being our 8th time in 8 years of marriage. Last year was our DS' first trip and we have been so excited to take him this year because he will be 23 months and actually old enough to enjoy a lot of what WDW has to offer. We look forward to our annual trip with tons of excitement and start counting the days at about the 8 month mark. :banana: Well, last week I was feeling the "it's going to be here before we know it!" butterflies realizing that we were almost at 4 weeks out from our arrival day. On Tuesday evening, DH and I had put DS to bed and were cleaning up around the house. We both walked to the master bedroom at the same time, and... "splash." A puddle of water. A few more steps... more water. Before we knew it, we realized water was somehow covering the floors to our house and we had no idea where it was coming from!:eek: As we quickly surveyed the house, it became apparent that there was a sewage backup and it was all quickly flowing into our home :scared1:!!! It turns out that there is a big dent in the pipes about 30 feet from our house (this actually falls under the city's jurisdiction to fix) that caused this to happen... In an attempt to make what has already turned into a long story shorter, homeowner's insurance will be replacing what needs to be replaced (thankfully!) and Servepro has already sanitized our house, gutted what needed to be thrown out, etc. We are living with my in-laws who are wonderful and live very close to us. I am very thankful that things aren't worse than they were and that we have a safe, clean place where we are welcome to stay. However, it will be probably a month or more until the house is ready for us to move back into and we leave for WDW a month from today. We are renting points at DVC and have already paid for it so we are not going to cancel, though we would postpone if we had just been staying in a Disney hotel. My in-laws (who we are currently staying with) are going with us so I hope they still want to by then! :rotfl:

All of this to say, I am still really trying to be excited about our trip but I just can't seem to think straight or wrap my head around how to pack, finish planning, live between what is left in our house and what we've moved to my in-laws etc... To me, one of the VERY best parts of a WDW trip is the month before because it is so close! Now I am feeling stressed because I am pretty overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I am still so glad to go and I know it will really be needed now, but it is hard to focus on the excitement as much.

Again, I know it could be so much worse and many people face far more difficult situations every day. I by no means feel this is the end of the world and I didn't come on here to whine (Hey, I am still going to Disney! :cool1:) and I am just thankful this happened while we were home and not at WDW! I was just wondering- Have you had something come up at the last minute before a trip that threw you for a loop but you decided to go anyway?

Thanks for letting my vent my crazy week... My husband wrote the following on his facebook status the morning after the house flooded: "Your house just filled with sewage water, what are you going to do next?" "I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!" :lmao:

I find that as I get older it becomes more difficult to get excited about going like I used to. It isn't that I love it less, it's just an aging thing I think.

I feel for your situation and I think it will be one of those times when you won't feel the excitement until you are there and can relax.

that sounds terrible! Hopefully you'll feel more excited when the trip gets closer...just think of it as a nice, big reward after everything you have gone through!

I guess I am just feeling a bit stressed and looking to see if anyone else here would want to share their similar experience. Let me explain...

DH and I go to WDW every year, with this year being our 8th time in 8 years of marriage. Last year was our DS' first trip and we have been so excited to take him this year because he will be 23 months and actually old enough to enjoy a lot of what WDW has to offer. We look forward to our annual trip with tons of excitement and start counting the days at about the 8 month mark. :banana: Well, last week I was feeling the "it's going to be here before we know it!" butterflies realizing that we were almost at 4 weeks out from our arrival day. On Tuesday evening, DH and I had put DS to bed and were cleaning up around the house. We both walked to the master bedroom at the same time, and... "splash." A puddle of water. A few more steps... more water. Before we knew it, we realized water was somehow covering the floors to our house and we had no idea where it was coming from!:eek: As we quickly surveyed the house, it became apparent that there was a sewage backup and it was all quickly flowing into our home :scared1:!!! It turns out that there is a big dent in the pipes about 30 feet from our house (this actually falls under the city's jurisdiction to fix) that caused this to happen... In an attempt to make what has already turned into a long story shorter, homeowner's insurance will be replacing what needs to be replaced (thankfully!) and Servepro has already sanitized our house, gutted what needed to be thrown out, etc. We are living with my in-laws who are wonderful and live very close to us. I am very thankful that things aren't worse than they were and that we have a safe, clean place where we are welcome to stay. However, it will be probably a month or more until the house is ready for us to move back into and we leave for WDW a month from today. We are renting points at DVC and have already paid for it so we are not going to cancel, though we would postpone if we had just been staying in a Disney hotel. My in-laws (who we are currently staying with) are going with us so I hope they still want to by then! :rotfl:

All of this to say, I am still really trying to be excited about our trip but I just can't seem to think straight or wrap my head around how to pack, finish planning, live between what is left in our house and what we've moved to my in-laws etc... To me, one of the VERY best parts of a WDW trip is the month before because it is so close! Now I am feeling stressed because I am pretty overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I am still so glad to go and I know it will really be needed now, but it is hard to focus on the excitement as much.

Again, I know it could be so much worse and many people face far more difficult situations every day. I by no means feel this is the end of the world and I didn't come on here to whine (Hey, I am still going to Disney! :cool1:) and I am just thankful this happened while we were home and not at WDW! I was just wondering- Have you had something come up at the last minute before a trip that threw you for a loop but you decided to go anyway?

Thanks for letting my vent my crazy week... My husband wrote the following on his facebook status the morning after the house flooded: "Your house just filled with sewage water, what are you going to do next?" "I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!" :lmao:

we also go each year for a 12 day trip and sometimes go for 3 and 4 day get aways but 9 years ago my Dad was very ill with bladder cancer and he said to go ahead with our plans and he would be there when we got back and he was:angel: then when he passed we just took Mother with us and she was 80 and loved it and went every year with us on her scooter until she was 87 and she was to go that year as trip was already planned and she passed:sad1: but we had a blast with her that lst year as we went to the MNSHP and she loved it. the trip we took after her passing was three months away but we sure missed her but then got to talking with sister and we laughed about the good times we spent with her at WDW:love: it..... know yours water mess is totally different and will eventually get cleaned up and your going to need to rest and relax:cheer2: we were there the year Katrina had hit LA and so many were at the resort that had lost everything. one guy told us he had four kids and they had what they had on their backs and was going to have to wait until insurance got to them so they decided what better time than to take a vacation as had to stay at some hotel some place for two weeks or more so might as well be WDW. so he said they went to Wal Mart and the mall and got some clothes and drove to Disney..:yay:.so think we all can make the best of bad situations and we saw several and talked to them that had also done this same thing.. have to applaud that:cheer2:

There's always something to bring on the angst - threat of a hurricane, someone getting sick, one year it was massive fires - and for you, the issue has already arrived. So now - just do what you have to do with that and dive back into your "Disney mode." There's nothing better than a Disney trip to take your mind off the house issues. The older I get, the more able I am to stop letting things stress me out so much - it's life. Separate the negative things out as best you can and work around the house issues and start your packing and pre-trip final planning. You know once you get there, you will have a fantastic time!

We came home on Easter Sunday last year to a flooded house about 4 weeks before Disney, when I got out of the car I looked over and saw a stream of water running out the back door, we opened the back door to see our ceiling of the den caving in and water pouring down thru the floor of the kitcen. Turns out the water filter on our kitchen sink busted and water was pouring out of it, out of the cabinet and onto the floor and then thru the floor to the ceiling below. Serve Pro is who we used and they were amazing. We ended up having to replace our carpet in the den, have out couch cleaned, had to replace a ton of clothes (we were packing away winter clothes that weekend and they were in the den) and other electronics like my poor laptop that was where all the water was coming down. We actually ended up doing some of the replacement work ourselves like replacing and painting the walls and my DH did our new kitchen floor and bathroom floor downstairs. It saved us some $ by doing half the work ourselves which we turned into extra money for Disney, we added 2 days and were able to have some extra spending money for ourselves and the kids. It was a disaster at the time but turned into a huge blessing, had that not happened we would have not been able to afford to replace our den carpeting till probably next year and the kitchen floor was on my wish list but not anywhere near actually happening soon. I also upgraded our dishwasher and stove with some of the $ we saved doing the floors ourselves. Disney was a perfect break after cleaning up all that mess and DH finished our tile floors the day before we left so we came home to a half brand new house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter