Small gifts for nursing home?

la79al

DIS Veteran
My kids are making cards or pictures for nursing home residents. I want to include a little something with them but I don't know what. We don't know these residents at all. I think there are about 10, mixture of males and females. I think it is more of a personal care home than a nursing home. Usually we go (with their 4H club) and they do crafts with the residents but obviously not an option this year. Any suggestions?

Years ago we did small goodie bags - tissue packs, hard candy, word searches, things like that. Very inexpensive, but well received.

I'll echo LvsDisney: socks. When we used to take our youth group to our church's nursing home to sing Christmas carols, the residents were INSANE for socks. People who hadn't come to hear the kids sing would leave their rooms and chase us down the hall saying, "Do you have any more of those socks?"

Boxes of Kleenex and small toiletries are also good, but they didn't make the impact that socks did.

Do you have a Factory Sock Outlet anywhere near you? Their prices are good.

Since you don't know the recipients, I would not include food. You might be giving them something they are not supposed to eat.

If you disagree with me and want to include food, my second bit of advice would be not to include homemade food items; some facilities have rules against that during the Pandemic.

Jigsaw puzzles are usually a hit. I'd look for 300 or 500 piece puzzles, as they usually provide a decent challenge, but come with bigger pieces than 1000 piece puzzles. Better for arthritic hands. Other than that, activity books like crossword puzzles or word finds are usually good, too. Maybe a coloring book and a basic set of pencils.

DD27 works in a residential home/nursing home. She suggested anything fuzzy, soft, warm. She recommends socks with grippy soles, or shawls or blankets. I know you can make both shawls and blankets from fleece, just cut to size and then snip around the edges to make "fringe." She even said something like small stuffed animals is a good idea- anything warm and fuzzy. She said she really doesn't recommend food, as not everyone can have everything- make sure it's something soft, that melts, without nuts or hard coatings (like no M&Ms)- people with oral dysphasia have specific food needs. If you want to do food, she says fudge (without nuts or chocolate chips, etc., in it) is a good idea, OR something simple like Hoodsie cups (a New England thing, small ice cream cups with 2 flavors per cup) is also a good idea.

My kids are making cards or pictures for nursing home residents. I want to include a little something with them but I don't know what. We don't know these residents at all. I think there are about 10, mixture of males and females. I think it is more of a personal care home than a nursing home. Usually we go (with their 4H club) and they do crafts with the residents but obviously not an option this year. Any suggestions?
What a lovely idea for the residents You and your kids are very special.

Great ideas and a lovely thing your kids will be doing - lotion, lip gloss, nail file, crayons and coloring books, note pads w/pen/pencil

Our family is doing the same thing. :)

My son is receiving confirmation this year, and was also inducted into Nation Junior Honor Society. He needs to get service hours for both, which is very hard w/ Covid. Normally, he'd be visting nursing homes w/ his church youth group, as well as the youth group would be doing shifts at the local soup kitchen and preparing meals for the local homeless shelter- none of which can be done now. So we tried to think of something we could do, that would try to brighten some spirits during this dark time.

A few weeks ago, I called and spoke w/the activities director of a local nursing home, told her what we wanted to do & asked for suggestions. For the residents of this home, she suggested: lotions/creams, dove soap, tissues, chocolate & soft candy/treats, holiday pins, socks with grips, chapstick, etc.
We made gift bags using these ideas, plus wordsearch & crossword books, adult coloring books & colored pencils, playing cards, puzzles with larger pieces, book and clip-on booklight, calendars, small Christmas/holiday decor (battery operated led candle in a pretty votive holder, the stuffed felted holiday gnomes, small holiday snowgobes, ornaments-mini ones that have a flat base that can free-stand instead of hang, small holiday candy dish filled w/ hershey kisses...).
We tried to make each make an indivualized gift, so each gift bag is filled differently but each contained something from each catergory.
I'm going to try to pick a few larger items (blankets, wraps, slippers...) and some magazines and other little trinkets for residents who may not have much family come to visit, so they can get something extra special. Can't wait to drop everything off Monday after my son gets out of school. :)

My daughter’s Girl Scout troop is working on their Bronze Award and have “adopted” a local nursing home. They made a Christmas talent show video, with a “radio play” done Zoom style. They have also done seasonal scenes painted on the outside of the windows. The residents like to watch the girls while they paint. Some interaction with the outside world while staying safe and warm inside (for the residents). And the girls are able to stay far away from each other while painting.

I know you asked for ideas for goodie bags, but since this went over so well I wanted to share an additional idea you might consider in the new year. Good luck with your project!

I spent two stays at nursing homes on rehab side since Covid started. Isolation is a real problem. A small soft (softer the better) little plush animal would be appreciated.

also something that I received was a gladiola (spelling?) Bulb that grew with just water. It was little, but it gre w with "no help". It brightened the darkest of says! Even a small Dolllar Tree artificial flower in a dollar vase would be appreciated. A simple helium filled balloon!

At the nursing home my mom is at they play bingo sometimes & get to pick prizes. If there are any cute little stuffed animals those are always picked first. Candy & crackers with cheese inside them , cookies & nuts picked next.

Chap stick, unscented lotion, shampoo & little bags of candy are things they can use.

If they have enough socks, I absolutely love my washable fingerless knit gloves (that cover the forearm as well)...keeping the hands warm (b/c you can slip your thumb out and let your whole hand be covered), but allowing for using phones/laptops would be great:)...

Something I considered but didn't get around to doing - a sampler pack of greeting cards. The shops in some facilities have been closed due to the pandemic, and the residents are not allowed out of the building, so the residents have no way of purchasing birthday cards or other greeting cards to send to family members or friends.

If you're not sure if the person has stamps, you could give them some stamps as well.

I spent two stays at nursing homes on rehab side since Covid started. Isolation is a real problem. A small soft (softer the better) little plush animal would be appreciated.

also something that I received was a gladiola (spelling?) Bulb that grew with just water. It was little, but it gre w with "no help". It brightened the darkest of says! Even a small Dolllar Tree artificial flower in a dollar vase would be appreciated. A simple helium filled balloon!
I think you might mean an amaryllis instead of a gladiola.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter