Small contracts value in 5-10 years

zavandor

DIS Veteran
Until now, small add-ons are quire rare so when they come on the market they are often snatched at a premium price by someone willing to enter in the system with minimal investment or top up their contracts with a small add-on without paying premium direct prices.

But now the situation has changed. I've already read a lot of thread of people saying they are going to search for a resale contract and then do a 25 points add-on to get the benefit.
Also, if someone is looking to add-on a few points but doesn't have the benefits yet, it makes sense to go direct instead of waiting for the right resale contract to show up for sale.

So in 5-10 years, as people who are now purchasing small add-ons start to sell, there will be higher offering for small contracts and less demand. Will their value start to plummet? Instead of selling for a premium, they might sell for less than a medium sized contract, also because closing costs are higher (per point).

Until now, small add-ons are quire rare so when they come on the market they are often snatched at a premium price by someone willing to enter in the system with minimal investment or top up their contracts with a small add-on without paying premium direct prices.

But now the situation has changed. I've already read a lot of thread of people saying they are going to search for a resale contract and then do a 25 points add-on to get the benefit.
Also, if someone is looking to add-on a few points but doesn't have the benefits yet, it makes sense to go direct instead of waiting for the right resale contract to show up for sale.

So in 5-10 years, as people who are now purchasing small add-ons start to sell, there will be higher offering for small contracts and less demand. Will their value start to plummet? Instead of selling for a premium, they might sell for less than a medium sized contract, also because closing costs are higher (per point).
My opinion, as I've said a number of times, is the idea that smaller contracts will be worth proportionately more long term is a risk at best. There are a lot of things that could happen to reverse the trend. What if DVC quit combining resale contracts which they could do? I still feel it worth having smaller ones if they don't cost extra because it does give some additional long term flexibility, I just don't think it's worth paying more for. Now once you get to around 200-220 points a contract, I think there is less risk and the risk of having a larger single contract increases. That means one would need to be around roughly 400 points or more before I'd suggest breaking up the contracts just for the purpose of avoiding a larger one. Obviously there are other reasons to have different home resorts or even UY. One just needs to look at the overall situation. Put another way, I see it like I would any specialty insurance, a poor investment for that purpose.

Many people like to have smaller contracts compared to one large contract for the possibility of downsizing in the future or giving it to their children. That's a benefit! (this was me).
Many people only want to travel to WDW once every two- three years, so a 50 point contract can serve the purpose. That's a benefit! (this started out as me).
Many people can not afford a large contract or they only have enough cash on hand to buy a small contract. With an idea of buying more in the future. (this was me).
I did not buy a small contract for the benefits or perks that came with DVC. If I paid 500 more for a small contract and use it for 20 years and sell it for the same price per point as a large contract, the prorated loss comes to $25.00 a year and I can live with that.

So to answer the OP question "will the smaller contracts lose value per point faster than the larger contracts over time?" I do not believe they will for the reasons I stated above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter