• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s WEDNESDAY poll - Irish Soda Bread

Irish Soda Bread - What is your opinion of this bread? (Multiple choice)

• I love it ❤️

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • I like it👍🏻

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • It’s ok 👌🏼

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • It’s edible 😶

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I don’t like it 👎🏻

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • No sugar on the crust

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Sugar on the crust

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I only like it if I bake it

• I’ve never tried Irish Soda Bread

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
This is the time of year that grocery store bakeries have Irish Soda Bread available.
What is your opinion on this very delicious bread?
Do you like it with or without sugar on the crust?
(multiple choice)

*I want to be very clear…..this poll is in no way meant to be upsetting to any of our Irish DISers. I do polls about every holiday and I’m not going to leave St. Patrick’s Day out just because someone(s) can’t have a little fun with it. I have a friend, married to an American, my DD’s Godmother, who‘s from Ireland and the majority of her family lives there. Never did she flip out during St. Patrick’s Day. We used to go out for green beers and had a lot of fun. She did explain that this isn’t how it‘s done in Ireland, but she wasn’t offended with what Americans do. So, let’s keep things calm today and tomorrow - thanks 🍀🙂👍🏻

For Me…..I love love love Soda Bread, especially with sugar on the crust.
We’ve already bought and ate 3 loaves 🤫

Last edited:
We have made it several times - my DD loves it - I’m in the like dept - will make some for the holiday 🍀

My aunts married Irishmen, so all my cousins are half Irish & we've been celebrating with them my whole life.
Favorite Irish Soda Bread is sort of cookie like from Shoprite, this year we will be making or own since it seems in Mass they are more like scones and we prefer the cookie like cakes :)

Do not like it.

I've never had it store bought. My mother used to make it at home. She's Irish American from New York. Like most things my mother cooked, it was revolting. That's all.

Wait - is that really Irish? :teeth:

Yes, I like it and bought some this year! But by mistake I got the one without caraway seeds and was disappointed. It was still pretty good, though. 🍀 (And no sugar.)

Love love love it! My Grandmother’s recipe is my favorite, but I stopped making it because I will literally eat every morsel of it.

I'm in the love it category. I'm the sweet eater in the house and enjoy the touch of sweetness it has, especially with the raisins like the loaf we have now. I'm 'allowed' one slice a day, LOL, otherwise I would eat half the loaf at a sitting. Rarely have the sugar on top, but that is even better. Maybe I will sprinkle a dash of it on my piece today. It's almost all gone now.

I've made it and bought it, but not really a fan. Boring for me. So many others breads I would rather have.
The grand kids made it this year in school.....said it tasted like biscuits

I like it and although it’s easy to make, I don’t make it very often because it only goes with certain menus. I find baking powder biscuits to be more versatile when I’m thinking of doing a quick bread.

ETA: The one I make has golden raisins and is sprinkled with caraway seeds.

Last edited:
I've heard of it but haven't made or bought it recently. I might have tried it years ago, but don't remember if I liked it.

The first time I made it, I really liked it. The last two time I must have used a different recipe because it was not good.

My daughter bought some at a local bakery last years and it was really good. Different than what I’ve made before, as it was sweet.

Never had it with currants or raisins nor with sugar on top.

Trying yet again to make some this year with a different recipe.

I love it. I’ve never heard of or seen it with sugar on the crust though. :confused3

One of the things I love about reading the replies to these polls is how things are different in different places. Up until today, I never heard of caraway seeds on/in Soda Bread. At our stores you can buy them either plain or with sugar on top. I’m glad you and others pointed this out - very interesting.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter