slo’s THURSDAY poll - Filling Up Your Gas Tank

Filling Your Gas Tank In 2022 - How often do you do it?

• When it’s 3/4 full

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • When it’s 1/2 full

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • When it’s 1/4 full

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • When the car is warning me it’s on empty

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • Once a week

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • All different times - no schedule

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • When my S/O does it

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • When I have the money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t own a car, so no need to buy gas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- please post your answer

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
This is embarrassing, but I forget to fill up and sometimes it gets down to 28 miles left in the gas tank before I fill up (so probably 1 gallon left) lol

I normally just go ahead and fill up. That happens once or twice a week, unfortunately, with how much we drive.

I chose about 1/4 full but my car tells me approximately how many miles I have left in my tank and once it gets under 100 then I get gas. I got gas on Tuesday when it was $3.63 and then saw this morning it's jumped up to $4.48 :oops:

Day to day, I'll start thinking about it around 1/4 tank. Timing and schedule will depend on when I actually stop. My car and DW's van gives a "miles remaining" and I've gone down to <10 miles left, but I knew how many miles to the gas station.

On road trips, I'll start thinking about it with around 100 miles left, and want to have stopped by 60 miles remaining.

I have different schedules at different times.

During hurricane season, I try to keep the tank full and will stop and refuel when it gets to 3/4 tank. Of course, if a storm is heading towards Florida, I top up regardless of how low the gauge reads.

When I am working, depending on the distance driven, I fill up every one to two weeks (usually corresponds to a half tank, but not always).

While I am unemployed, I have only had to get gas every three or four months, and the tank is usually around 3/4 or so. I go out once a week to run errands and get my mail, and occasionally have to go farther (like when I got new tires last week).

I never allow the tank to go lower than 1/4, ever.

Last edited:

I always seem to wait til my light comes on... I know I need to fill up more often though, especially right now.

Work takes up about sixteen hours of my day, so I’d rather not have to stop on work days to get gas. I fill up before I’m working a stretch so I don’t have to think about it. If I’m off and just doing errands or the like, I fill it up when it gets down to about 1/4 of a tank.

I hate pumping gas in the cold. 🥶 These days the cost of gas also gets my BP up so it’s a double whammy.

I don't drive very far, most of the time, so a tank can last me a couple of months.
I try to fill it when it drops below 1/2, but have let it get almost empty at least once.

I never used to pump my own, until my DH passed 2 years ago. Either DH filled my car, or I stopped at a full-serve station.

When I drove to my new house it was the first time I'd gotten gas on my own. Driving down, I stopped in New Jersey for the first night, and, as RedAngie mentioned, somebody there pumps for you.
Next stop was Virginia, and I knew I'd probably have to fill it myself.
I locked my credit card when I made my first attempts at feeding my car :rolleyes1
It kept shutting off, and after the 3rd try, it wouldn't accept my card. So I left, and went to another station down the street, and tried again, with my other card. Success !
Small thing, but it was a personal triumph, that I'd managed to do something I'd never done before.

I should have filled up three days ago when I was at half a tank. Prices went up 10 cents on Wednesday then another 24 cents on Thursday.

I’m afraid to see what they are today.

Sometime between when the light comes on and 40 miles after it says there are zero miles to empty (my car is a liar) :rotfl2:

Often I wait until the warning light comes on, then starts flashing, and says something like 30 miles left,

Pffft!!!! You can easily go about 60 miles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter