• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

sleep in the car?

There are crazies everywhere, I couldn't agree more! I know everyone means well, but frankly I'm no less scared of staying in a car for a quick overnight than I would be staying at a stranger's house...with them there (which, by the way, I have done the couchsurfing thing before so I'm not knocking it)! I know it's the way to be afraid of everything and everyone these days, but I'm just not. Not to the point of being naive, I'm sure going to take care where I'm closing my eyes whether in a hotel, car, someone's home, anywhere, but to think that a cheap hotel or couchsurfing are somehow "more safe" just seems naive to me. I feel like people would have me believe that I should be afraid to exist as a single woman "in these days", but that's no way to live in my mind; it's one thing to be irresponsible and throw caution to the wind, but safety anywhere is simply an illusion.

(^^just incited a tidal wave of "but you'll die", "don't be so cheap", and other such comments)

I don't think you're familiar with AirBnB. You go based off of reviews and wouldn't just knock on a random persons' door. It's no different than staying at a hotel. They give you a key for your room, etc.

Sleeping in a car is far more unsafe and I believe that yes, you are being naive thinking you're safer doing that.

Not to mention, Orlando is hot!! You going to sleep with your windows rolled up, in the summer?

Why would you actually choose to sleep in a car if you can afford not too? You said you have been countless times, then forgo the souvenirs this trip and use that money for a hotel.

Why would you actually choose to sleep in a car if you can afford not too? You said you have been countless times, then forgo the souvenirs this trip and use that money for a hotel.

The OP said it is budget driven, rather she doesn't want to spend the money on even a cheap room.

The OP said it is budget driven, rather she doesn't want to spend the money on even a cheap room.

Yeah I know. I don't know I just don't get spending money on a rental, parking and souvenirs instead of spending money on a cheap hotel.

Where would you park it? Find a cheap campground or state park and then stay in your car, at least you have a safe place to park it, access to shower, bathrooms, etc. I can't believe there is an $8 a night rate in FW with AP. Not something I would do but I think it's cool that you're brave like that. OR, look into cheap hotel in area that has shuttle to parks. I bet by the time you get the rental car, especially an SUV or van with taxes, etc., that are heaped on you're paying more than what you think. Also go to Mousesavers.com and Budget board for ways to save.

Last edited:
I was thinking the safety issue and the law when I suggested fort wilderness, for $8 a night, you get a camp site, you can choose to sleep in your car or in a tent, I did not preference. But a camp site at FW will give you security of Disney, a clean bathroom with a shower, and a store if you want coffee and a snack. For $8 with an AP I think that is a great price and better than a Walmart or a country road or any old parking lot! Just my thoughts.
@single_eeyore,
Plus being able to sleep in your car at the campground, you would not have to pay for parking!
Parking at WDW is $20/day. Wouldn't parking your car at FW cost less and save you the parking fees?
Just a thought, no Flame throwing, no scarlet letter!
Just sleep in your car at FW. Imho it would be the safest, most prudent and least expensive option. (Considering you'll have to pay to park at WDW if Walmart parking/sleeping)
I think you have a gutsy attitude and think outside the box, but I also believe you wouldn't have posed the question unless there was a tiny bit of a question lurking in your brain.
So, again mho, be safe AND have fun!

Last edited:

Ya'll....PLEASE! LOL Has no one here ever been on a road trip & pulled into a rest stop to sleep before? Good grief! She's only talking staying 1 or 2 days for crying out loud, fairly certain she'll be alright with not showering for 48 hours, geez!

Ya'll....PLEASE! LOL Has no one here ever been on a road trip & pulled into a rest stop to sleep before? Good grief! She's only talking staying 1 or 2 days for crying out loud, fairly certain she'll be alright with not showering for 48 hours, geez!

I agree. And I posted the starting price on the cheapest FW campsite to highlight how unlikely it is to get a campsite for $8.

I'll be honest no I have never done that. Every time I have road tripped I find a hotel or a friend some where on the path that I can sleep at. The only time I have ever slept in a vehicle over night (not at a camp ground) was in a big rig truck that had a sleeper compartment. Even then it was always at "secure" truck stops and never just randomly on the highway.

Last edited:

No, on the furthest trip I drove (12 hours) I got a hotel room for the night.

I have camped, but that was the point of the trip, to actually camp. If I am going to a destination, whether its WDW or somewhere else I would spend the money I had on a cheap hotel room, there or on the way there.

As someone who hates camping, let alone sleeping in a car, I would absolutely, no questions asked go with the hotel option. With that said, as long as OP is aware of the risks involved, the potential illegality of her actions depending on where she chooses to stay, and still wants to do it and is able to maintain decent hygiene... why not? Obviously I encourage her to park at a campsite or somewhere else safe, but she certainly doesn't have to take my advice or anyone else's for that matter.

Please be safe. We all try to save for our trips to the World to make a stay longer or fancier. We also want to be able to go again and we can't do that if we get jacked-up. There are tons of safe options for you. Please, please try those first.

I'll be honest no I have never done that. Every time I have road tripped I find a hotel or a friend some where on the path that I can sleep at. The only time I have ever slept in a vehicle over night (not at a camp ground) was in a big rig truck that had a sleeper compartment. Even then it was always at "secure" truck stops and never just randomly on the highway.
I have never slept "just randomly on the highway" either! But I have pulled over & slept at "secure" rest stops before when being on a road trip. Heck, last summer I was driving home from a trip to New England, was exhausted in the middle of the night, didn't see a rest stop nearby so I parked in a hotel parking lot....and no, the employees did not care. I wasn't looking for a room, just somewhere to catch a few zzzz's for a couple of hours.

Nope. Not even when I was young and did a lot of road trips. It is not something I consider safe at all.

For a few years my dad worked as a maintenance man at state rest stops. The stories he could tell.. And no, it is not safe to park at one and sleep.

Thanks again everyone, I did ask for opinions and I'm grateful for the advice. I would never ask anyone else to do this, but I do find myself in a less common situation in that I can travel a lot via air and as such I prefer to spend time visiting different places and that does mean stretching every penny. Meaning - yes, I can afford a hotel for a night or two...but I'm not going to enjoy the room. I would use it for sleep and a shower...both of which I can get for free/significantly less elsewhere...so if I don't spend the money on a hotel that I really don't care to be at in the first place because it's just a 6 hour pit stop in my mind then I can likely afford to travel next weekend too! I don't spend much on food or souvenirs in the first place, again not because I "can't" just because I enjoy spending my money on other things more. I splurge on a nice meal or a convenient hotel (or even a Disney Dooney once) often enough to satisfy me...but in my world, $250 for 2 nights on site at Disney is the difference between a weekend at Disney or a weekend at Disney on the DL and a weekend in another city on the DL and a weekend out with friends...sometimes when I'm out and about I do make the decision to spend more on something or other while knowing that my entertainment budget for the month is shot in that one move, and that's ok, but I'll be honest...I'm probably going to spend a few nights in a car while getting the most out of my Disney AP because that suits me just fine - worst case scenario, someone will be happy to sell me a hotel room for the night without a reservation, I've had to do it before.

To those that truly enjoy time spent at a resort, have a ball! To those who can't imagine sleeping in a car, I get it and wouldn't expect anyone to join me in my short-person-that-fits-easily-enough-to-sleep-in-a-car-reasonably-comfortable escapades. To those that always factor in lots of spending money on their trips, awesome for you! As long as we all get what we want out of our vacations I'm happy for us each :)

Special shoutout to Peggy - yes! Thank you! Exactly! As a matter of fact, my brother just took a week long road trip down to Dallas all completely without any solid plans or any reservations.

Thanks again everyone, I did ask for opinions and I'm grateful for the advice. I would never ask anyone else to do this, but I do find myself in a less common situation in that I can travel a lot via air and as such I prefer to spend time visiting different places and that does mean stretching every penny. Meaning - yes, I can afford a hotel for a night or two...but I'm not going to enjoy the room. I would use it for sleep and a shower...both of which I can get for free/significantly less elsewhere...so if I don't spend the money on a hotel that I really don't care to be at in the first place because it's just a 6 hour pit stop in my mind then I can likely afford to travel next weekend too! I don't spend much on food or souvenirs in the first place, again not because I "can't" just because I enjoy spending my money on other things more. I splurge on a nice meal or a convenient hotel (or even a Disney Dooney once) often enough to satisfy me...but in my world, $250 for 2 nights on site at Disney is the difference between a weekend at Disney or a weekend at Disney on the DL and a weekend in another city on the DL and a weekend out with friends...sometimes when I'm out and about I do make the decision to spend more on something or other while knowing that my entertainment budget for the month is shot in that one move, and that's ok, but I'll be honest...I'm probably going to spend a few nights in a car while getting the most out of my Disney AP because that suits me just fine - worst case scenario, someone will be happy to sell me a hotel room for the night without a reservation, I've had to do it before.

To those that truly enjoy time spent at a resort, have a ball! To those who can't imagine sleeping in a car, I get it and wouldn't expect anyone to join me in my short-person-that-fits-easily-enough-to-sleep-in-a-car-reasonably-comfortable escapades. To those that always factor in lots of spending money on their trips, awesome for you! As long as we all get what we want out of our vacations I'm happy for us each :)

Special shoutout to Peggy - yes! Thank you! Exactly! As a matter of fact, my brother just took a week long road trip down to Dallas all completely without any solid plans or any reservations.
Love those types of trips without solid plans, they always seem to be the most fun! BTW you should TOTALLY do a budgetlicious trip report here on this thread regarding your upcoming trip!!!

Last edited:
Looks like you already made up your mind to stay a few days sleeping in your car. Now the no shower for 48 hours I couldn't do it but that's just me. To each its own do you and enjoy your trip.

I could get an SUV/mini-van for
how in the world is sleeping in a car any different/better/worse than camping!?

I thought they where the same which is why we got an SUV - daughter, me and 2 dogs.

Single_eeyore - I love how well you took everyone's opinions and thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread - thank you, still :rotfl:. Howevery being a mom and caretaker first, I understand the responses.
Have a wonderful time :tink: . I hope you will write a trip report. I would love to read it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter