• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

sleep in the car?

stinky_eeyore (JK)
$8 a night at the FORT? That must be WAY OFF SEASON!
Every time i looked at the tent sites they were always $48 and up per night..

The $8 a night popped up in May 2017 annual pass rate, as I say I was looking for WL, I thought it was a mistake, and to be honest I did not open it up to see if the rate was actually $8, but two or three days in a row it did pop up, I have never stayed FW but I here they have just tent sites, I figured the just tent sites were $8, that would mean you get to put a tent up, no water, no gas, no dumping, just a space for a small tent. Now another thing I don't know is, can you even put a car at a tent site, I know you can at everything sites, but if you can, and if you wanted to sleep in a safe place $8 a night and Disney has security watching so sleep in your care and I know they have care stations, potty, shower and such. And a store of coffee and water.

i don't know how much annual passes are but I'm sure they are not cheap. I wouldn't want to spend that much and not be able to afford or have to choose to not stay in a hotel. Could you wait to save up to stay in a hotel? Were you planning to get a hotel when you took your son?

I figured the just tent sites were $8, that would mean you get to put a tent up, no water, no gas, no dumping, just a space for a small tent.

The tent sites have water hose, electric outlets, an outlet for cable, a pad for parking your car, a picnic table, a charcoal grill, and a sandy area for setting up a tent.

$8 a site? I wonder if that was a website error. I've never heard of sites for that cheap, even with an AP.

What a tent site looks like:

I for one would not risk my safety by sleeping in a car in a Walmart parking lot. I've seen a lot of scary stuff in Orlando Walmarts. Heck, I've seen them in Walmarts by me and we live in middle of nowhere Alabama.

I would save up and and spring for a hotel room for a few nights. I've been able to find decent price hotels for next to nothing. I've paid as little as $25 a night for a suite.

I wouldn't suggest sleeping in your car. There are a ton of hotels near Disney and around Disney that are cheaper in price and then you're safe, your showered, and also have a mini fridge for storing food and water.

What about couchsurfing.com? A lot of times you can get a place to sleep for free and the users are rated, which helps with safety concerns.

Have you ever tried airbnb. You can rent a room in people's condos. They can be as cheap at $20 a night.

You mentioned sleeping in car so all you'd have to pay for would be food and souvenirs.

I would do the campsite idea and not spend the money on food and souvenirs.

I'd bring a bring a few items in suitcase, like bread , PB&J, fruit cups, shelf stable stuff. Make a sandwich for the park and drink water.

I was thinking the safety issue and the law when I suggested fort wilderness, for $8 a night, you get a camp site, you can choose to sleep in your car or in a tent, I did not preference. But a camp site at FW will give you security of Disney, a clean bathroom with a shower, and a store if you want coffee and a snack. For $8 with an AP I think that is a great price and better than a Walmart or a country road or any old parking lot! Just my thoughts.

I know you have seen the post, but I just wanted to agree that for me, this would be the better of two evils. I would not sleep in a car, but if I had to, I would need access to a shower and a clean bathroom, and I would need to know I was safe.

Not sure when the OP plans to go, but I can't even imagine assuming that the temperature will be amenable to sleeping in a car with windows shut and motor off all night. Depending on the time of year, it could easily end up too hot or too cold.

Why not look into airbnb? There's literally people who will let you sleep on their couch or in a spare room for $10-20 a night.

This!!! And it's much safer/much more comfortable. I would feel a bit scared sleeping in my car, with windows. I don't think i'd get any rest at all.

No judgement though, I hear you on budget. But be aware of your surroundings, even if an area seems to be safe. There are crazies everywhere!

This!!! And it's much safer/much more comfortable. I would feel a bit scared sleeping in my car, with windows. I don't think i'd get any rest at all.

No judgement though, I hear you on budget. But be aware of your surroundings, even if an area seems to be safe. There are crazies everywhere!

There are crazies everywhere, I couldn't agree more! I know everyone means well, but frankly I'm no less scared of staying in a car for a quick overnight than I would be staying at a stranger's house...with them there (which, by the way, I have done the couchsurfing thing before so I'm not knocking it)! I know it's the way to be afraid of everything and everyone these days, but I'm just not. Not to the point of being naive, I'm sure going to take care where I'm closing my eyes whether in a hotel, car, someone's home, anywhere, but to think that a cheap hotel or couchsurfing are somehow "more safe" just seems naive to me. I feel like people would have me believe that I should be afraid to exist as a single woman "in these days", but that's no way to live in my mind; it's one thing to be irresponsible and throw caution to the wind, but safety anywhere is simply an illusion.

(^^just incited a tidal wave of "but you'll die", "don't be so cheap", and other such comments)

There are crazies everywhere, I couldn't agree more! I know everyone means well, but frankly I'm no less scared of staying in a car for a quick overnight than I would be staying at a stranger's house...with them there (which, by the way, I have done the couchsurfing thing before so I'm not knocking it)! I know it's the way to be afraid of everything and everyone these days, but I'm just not. Not to the point of being naive, I'm sure going to take care where I'm closing my eyes whether in a hotel, car, someone's home, anywhere, but to think that a cheap hotel or couchsurfing are somehow "more safe" just seems naive to me. I feel like people would have me believe that I should be afraid to exist as a single woman "in these days", but that's no way to live in my mind; it's one thing to be irresponsible and throw caution to the wind, but safety anywhere is simply an illusion.

(^^just incited a tidal wave of "but you'll die", "don't be so cheap", and other such comments)

I agree that sleeping in a stranger's home would be iffy in my book. But I'd take a cheap hotel any day over sleeping in my car. Not even close in my book in terms of safety. And unless I miss my mark, it would come with running water.

There was a time I would do such a thing, but I have moved up in my old age. I get a tent site at Ft Wilderness and crash in an suv. It holds a queen sized air matress in the rear so it is quite comfy. The bathrooms are clean and a must plus I feel safe. The only thing I do is sleep for 6 or 7 hours then I'm off again. Of course if the DH is coming I have to splurge on a room for him. He can't lay his clothes out for the week in the car!:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter