• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skipper Canteen Restaurant

TandT

DIS Veteran
Is it just me or is the Skipper Canteen Restaurant in the MK not all the hype . We had dinner here tonight and it was just blah. The crispy chicken was dry and tasteless. My husband and I had to smother it to death in that sauce for it to be edible. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We’ve been there twice. Never been really happy with the food for sure. We usually leave and eat at the resorts when we are at MK now.

We’ve been there twice. Never been really happy with the food for sure. We usually leave and eat at the resorts when we are at MK now.
Yeah .. we never really eat at at Magic Kingdom either because the food is usually subpar. I read some good reviews on that restaurant, but it really fell flat. We had those bread /cheese balls , which were good or maybe we are just hungry lol and got our dinner and nobody ate their dish because the chicken was so dry and tasteless. Lol My poor daughter was expecting chicken nuggets and got the same dry chicken we got lol .

Um what hype?
The restaurant got a bad wrap when it first opened so what I've found is no one seems to want to go there.
Personally I enjoy it there.

Um what hype?
The restaurant got a bad wrap when it first opened so what I've found is no one seems to want to go there.
Personally I enjoy it there.
I read some reviews that it was really good, hence why I made a reservation. To each their own I suppose. Lol Geesh … I hate posting on here anymore because everyone is so argumentative or snarky. I just asked a question. Obviously you liked it so why you felt the need to question my post is beyond me . Lol

I read some reviews that it was really good, hence why I made a reservation. To each their own I suppose. Lol Geesh … I hate posting on here anymore because everyone is so argumentative or snarky. I just asked a question. Obviously you liked it so why you felt the need to question my post is beyond me . Lol

You asked an opinion based question so I responded. You should not post if you are going to get upset that someone does not agree with you.
I was simply pointing out that there has never been "hype" about this particular restaurant.
Really the only way you know a restaurant is for you is to look at the atmosphere and menu and if it looks like something you're into then try it.
If you don't care for it then yo9u know for next time to try somewhere different. You should never base your desire to go or not go on whatever "hype" you see.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the Skipper Canteen Restaurant in the MK not all the hype . We had dinner here tonight and it was just blah. The crispy chicken was dry and tasteless. My husband and I had to smother it to death in that sauce for it to be edible. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Was recommended by many and we were very disappointed. Dry, overcooked, terrible. Never went back. And we're NOT foodie snobs - I'm rarely disappointed and very easy to please. I normally give places a 2nd chance, but not when I'm spending this much.

Ooh, I'd made a reservation because I'd read so many good things about this restaurant (so, I can see why you'd call that hype). But then we got a reservation for Steakhouse 71 at a time that better fit our schedule once we were down there, so I dropped the res. Maybe we dodged a bullet? S71 did live up to the positive reviews.

We dined here several times & ordered different items each time. This restaurant just didn’t work for us & it’s off our repeat list. One of the few Disney restaurants we don’t care to return to.

We generally don't eat big meals at the parks for multiple health reasons.

We order off the kids menu, and get the nice little steak and some healthy sides. We've had a solid B+ experience every time but last July, when we asked ahead of ordereing (we always do) if we could order off the kids menu. We were told yes, and then my son was served and charged for an adult meal. We had to leave most of it - so food and money were wasted. Ugh.

DH and I liked it a LOT when we went -- the first time.

We put it on our ADRs when we went back a year or so later, expecting another great meal.
Nope :sad2: Except for the decor, we wouldn't have know we were in the same restaurant.
The menu had changed (dumbed down), and our cheerful and chatty skipper-server had been replaced by a dour robot who barely went through the motions of even being a semi-competent waiter. The food was a little better than Denny's, but that's not saying much. <sigh>

The "hype" i generally run into is that its the best of the "worst" Park for dining and also factoring in low relative price.
Just ate here last night(or rather, like 6.5 hours ago as of posting). Server was nice and the food was just ok for me. But the 2 tofu options on the menu were both good.

Last edited:
I've been there a couple of times and enjoyed it, but it's been a few years. It wasn't amazing, but it was good - the deserts though were excellent for sure.

We’ve really enjoyed it every time-last time was in May. Great theming, everything we’ve had had been well done though we’ve never had the chicken. How did they respond when you let them know you were unhappy with your food?

Been there once. There were 6 of us and all the meals were 'meh' at best.

Won't return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter