Single Mom with a Toddler

xsarachireex

Earning My Ears
I took my DD last year to WDW for a week for her 2nd birthday. We had a great trip and not too many bumps in the road. The only issue we really had was with the buses when she would fall asleep in her stroller prior to boarding. I was planning another trip to WDW for this September for her 3rd birthday but I started thinking about a possible 5 day DLR trip. It seems like it will be easier in terms of just 2 parks and being within walking distance. My only concern is not having Magical Express. We will be flying from Ohio and having our luggage taken to/from our hotel was beyond helpful and to be honest I am not sure if I can manage a 3 year old and our luggage alone. Anyone have any advice/tips about this? I just started thinking of DLR as a possibility so I haven't done much research. Thanks!

The size of the parks will definitely be nice for a three year old. Everything is quite convenient and close. Are you concerned about getting your bags from baggage claim to your transportation? Or just getting them to your room? When you get to the airport do you have help getting your suitcases to the counter to check in?

I flew solo with my two older kids when the younger one was a baby. I do remember the suitcases being a bit of a pain to roll along with the stroller. However, having the stroller from gate to gate was very helpful as it helped me contain my children.

The other thing to consider is a carseat. Depending on your transportation from the airport you may need a carseat.

The size of the parks will definitely be nice for a three year old. Everything is quite convenient and close. Are you concerned about getting your bags from baggage claim to your transportation? Or just getting them to your room? When you get to the airport do you have help getting your suitcases to the counter to check in?

I flew solo with my two older kids when the younger one was a baby. I do remember the suitcases being a bit of a pain to roll along with the stroller. However, having the stroller from gate to gate was very helpful as it helped me contain my children.

The other thing to consider is a carseat. Depending on your transportation from the airport you may need a carseat.
Yes, I am mainly concerned about getting our bags from baggage claim to our room. Our previous trip I did not have help at our airport and it was horrible. I just kept thinking that if I could get through that part Disney would take care of the rest. It just makes me nervous to have more of those kind of issues.

http://coolmompicks.com/blog/2015/02/17/ride-on-suitcase-for-children-lugabug/

or

https://www.rideoncarryon.com/

You could ship your things to your hotel and then back again so you only need to travel with a day's worth of necessities. I have a friend who swears by this method and says it's cheaper than most checked luggage fees. Another option is a car service with a driver that will meet you at baggage claim and collect your bag(s) for you. If you use this with curbside check in, it can be done although you'll pay for the service.

I've seen a lot of these threads lately. I think I may have to start a business that somehow helps single parents travel alone with LO's.

hahaha it's totally the worst. I flew by myself with my 3 yo and 1 yo to do my final presentation for grad school, and just getting off the plane and getting the two carseats plus luggage out of baggage claim I thought I might die. The best part is when people walk by and say "wow you've got your hands full!"...and then walk away. ha! Anyway - if you fly into SNA, it's a smaller airport. Get an uber, it will pick you up right outside of baggage claim and the driver can load all your stuff while you install the car seat. Driver will drop you off at the front of the hotel, and they will be happy to help you in. Totally doable! I would also look into shipping UNLESS you are traveling southwest, where it's all free.

Aside from packing less, get a car service that offers meet and greet service. PP mentioned Lansky, I've also used Execucar, which is a division of Supershuttle, and you can book online. Lansky, will provide a carseat if you ask, not sure about Execucar. On the way home you can look for an airline with skycap service, or consider a service that will ships your bags home.

I traveled alone with my daughter when she was a toddler, and I can't remember any difficulties. The trick is to travel light; we left the strolzilla at home and took an umbrella stroller, we packed carry on bags only. To get from the airport to our hotel we took a large shuttle bus which did not require a car seat. Luckily my daughter was potty trained early, so I didn't have to pack groceries. We always stayed at a Harbor Blvd hotel, so we could easily go back to the room for a nap. Some of my favourite memories are of our early trips to DL, and even though my daughter is now 19 we still go to DL when we need together time, I strongly encourage you to give it a shot, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks everyone! I feel like I can actually accomplish this now! Now just to finally decide if we are doing WDW or DLR!!! I don't believe we can go wrong either way (=

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter