• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shring on Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
Ok ... so will this work..............??????

I have been watching my weight but still feel that the dining plan is the best route for my family of four, so it is booked.

During our TS....when we will have the ability to order four appetizers and four desserts.......something we NEVER do.....could I eat one or two of the appetizers as my dinner and save my TS credit for use at another time?

Ok ... so will this work..............??????

I have been watching my weight but still feel that the dining plan is the best route for my family of four, so it is booked.

During our TS....when we will have the ability to order four appetizers and four desserts.......something we NEVER do.....could I eat one or two of the appetizers as my dinner and save my TS credit for use at another time?

No, a TS credit is a TS credit. If you order anything at all, it will use up a credit.

What you may want to know is whether or not you can eat someone else's appetizers without ordering on your own, but I believe sharing is not permitted on the dining plan.

From the Dining Plan FAQ:
Can I share meals?
Yes, you can share the meals amongst the guests at your table, with the exception of fixed price meals, such as buffets or other all-you-can-eat options.

Can I share meals with guests not on the Dining Plan?
No. The Dining Plan cannot be shared with guests who aren't registered as part of your reservation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1305783

Interesting, sharing is OK amongst guests on the dining plan. Can the OP then go into a restaurant with her family and not order anything herself, but just eat off of what everyone else orders, so she can save her TS credit?

Or will she be required to order something?

I hope we won' be required to order something..We are going in August,3 adults according to the DP.. My 12 YO son doesn't eat much while he is on his ADHD meds and My husband is recovering from Open Heart Surgery to repair an Aortic Dissection..He never was a big eater before, and he may not be able to eat much then..I'm not cheap, I just don't want to waste food credits...

Your dh or kids can order the appetizers and you can eat them and save a TS that way. You don't have to order anything. You could also just order an appetizer out of pocket and save a TS credit for later if your family will eat their entire appetizer/entree/drink.

When we were on the dining plan, we did a lot of sharing-simply because it was too much food. This enabled us to do a couple of signature meals-where we also shared. Only time we did not share was buffets. Sometimes we paid out of pocket for extra drinks. This year we will be on the plan but my sister and her husband and daughter were not. I assumed we could do some sharing with them, but see this is not permitted. Wonder how this is policed? Anyone know.

Interesting, sharing is OK amongst guests on the dining plan. Can the OP then go into a restaurant with her family and not order anything herself, but just eat off of what everyone else orders, so she can save her TS credit? Or will she be required to order something?
There were rumors on Intercot a month or so ago about a rule change regarding sharing while on the Dining Plan. That rumor has not come to fruition.

This year we will be on the plan but my sister and her husband and daughter were not. I assumed we could do some sharing with them, but see this is not permitted. Wonder how this is policed? Anyone know.
If you are two adults and two children on the Dining Plan, that that's the most number of meals you can pay for with Dining Plan credits at any one meal. The numerical limitation is imprinted on your room key (as "2A2C") clear enough for any CM to see.

There were rumors on Intercot a month or so ago about a rule change regarding sharing while on the Dining Plan. That rumor has not come to fruition.

Respectfully, bicker -- and I am not trying to argue with you, I just want to clarify :flower3: -- it wasn't a "rumor", it was an email I received from guest services, and I posted some questions regarding that. Someone else posted that they received the exact same email, so I'm sure it was a canned, cut-and-paste response. I still have the original email, if a board moderator or someone who writes info for the DDP FAQ would like to read it. It seemed very odd to me, because I couldn't figure out how -- or why -- they would prevent people from sharing with other family members at their own table who were also on the dining plan. Guests not on the DDP share desserts and appetizers among adults, or share part of their adult meals with their children all the time.

I am very glad that it appears no one at all has reported any problems sharing with other members in their party who are also on the DDP, as it is typically what my husband and I like to do when dining out. :thumbsup2

I'm going to ask the question myself, and see if I get the same answer. I'll report back.

Respectfully, bicker -- and I am not trying to argue with you, I just want to clarify :flower3: -- it wasn't a "rumor", it was an email I received from guest services, and I posted some questions regarding that. Someone else posted that they received the exact same email, so I'm sure it was a canned, cut-and-paste response. I still have the original email, if a board moderator or someone who writes info for the DDP FAQ would like to read it. It seemed very odd to me, because I couldn't figure out how -- or why -- they would prevent people from sharing with other family members at their own table who were also on the dining plan. Guests not on the DDP share desserts and appetizers among adults, or share part of their adult meals with their children all the time.

I am very glad that it appears no one at all has reported any problems sharing with other members in their party who are also on the DDP, as it is typically what my husband and I like to do when dining out. :thumbsup2

:wave2:
That was me that received the same email when I questioned sharing on the DP but like you I hope it is incorrect.

I'm still waiting for my reply. I'm going to try to get to the point where I can have a voice conversation with the PTBs, since folks are very consistently being told very contrary things about this. It's not like just one or two CMs who don't know what they're talking about, but instead seems like there are two camps of CMs each presenting their own perspective, diametrically opposed to that of the other camp.

Respectfully, bicker -- and I am not trying to argue with you, I just want to clarify :flower3: -- it wasn't a "rumor", it was an email I received from guest services, and I posted some questions regarding that.
The rumor I was referring to was the rumor that a physical memo was circulated to all restaurants participating on the Dining Plan, directing them to no longer allow folks to share meals (i.e., order fewer meals than there were patrons at the table) if the Dining Plan was used at the table.

I wasn't implying that the email you received was a rumor.

I'm drawing a blank. What is PTB's?:confused3
Powers that be.

We often share appetizers with our non-ddp friends. Just last month we ate at Spoodles with our CM friends. We were on the DDP and they were not. We got the 2 appetizers and just passed it around the table (flat bread). We all ordered entrees and only we ordered deserts (we didn't share them--ice cream is not very shareable). Since the CM dinner discount has restrictions, we used our DDE card to get our CM friends a discount and used the DDP for ourselves. The server didn't have any issues with this and no one saw anything wrong with sharing appetizers. Of course the DDE discounts was not an issue either, since we were all dining together and anyone can pay at the table when a DDE discount is used (not necessarily the DDE holder). We have shared appetizers many times and sometimes deserts. I'm not sure if this is the type of sharing that folks are referring to, but thought I would share my first hand account.

We often share appetizers with our non-ddp friends. Just last month we ate at Spoodles with our CM friends. We were on the DDP and they were not. We got the 2 appetizers and just passed it around the table (flat bread). We all ordered entrees and only we ordered deserts (we didn't share them--ice cream is not very shareable). ..... We have shared appetizers many times and sometimes deserts. I'm not sure if this is the type of sharing that folks are referring to, but thought I would share my first hand account.

I don't have a problem with this and I'll tell you why. We do this all the time when dining out with friends at home. We'll order an appetizer or two and share with everyone. I guess I figure if I'd do it when footing the bill at that time, then I don't have a problem with it at WDW. For one thing, I'd feel odd eating an appetizer in front of friends and saying, "No you can't have that. Disney won't let you."

For the record it won't affect our family. We have one DS (14) - enough said about the eating habits of a male teenager:scared: . My DH is a very big eater and then there is me. I'd better plan on ordering my own meal if I have any prayer of eating. If I even suggested sharing with either one, I'd probably end up with a fork through my hand. Those two eat everything in site and will probably bat clean up on my plate. If every family ate like my two men, Disney would have to re-think their dining plan because it would not save them money.

I will be stunned if we come home with so much as an uneaten snack credit.

Just an update. I'm now on level 3 of my efforts to get clarification regarding this issue. I've gotten a few replies that didn't relate to the question I asked. I'll give it one more try, and then ask for a telephone number.

(I was thinking of creating a little ASCII form with little squares next to the two choices "yes" and "no", and instructions indicating, "Please select one of the two choices." Heheh...) :)

Thanks for taking the time to check on this, bicker; very interested to hear what you find out. I have taken escalated calls at work ("Let me speak to a supervisor!" calls), and the buck usually stops with me. But then again, I usually try to get a real answer for the customer -- even if it's not the one they were looking for, at least it's not an answer from a can. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter