• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shrimp Allergies and Ohana’s?

bucky1023

DIS Veteran
My mom is allergic to shrimp, will she be able to eat at ‘Ohana’s, or is everything cooked right next to each other?

She will be fine as long as the shrimp doesn't touch what she eats, but i don't want to risk anything.

I would call the manager of Ohana's direct. Ask them whether it's possible to alert your server that you need a "skewer" of meat without shrimp. They would also be able to tell you if the meats are cooked seperate from each other.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it. All skewers are on one big pit, and it's likely that the skewers sat in the same spot as another meat at some point. My aunt has a severe shellfish allergy, and if she gets even a tiny bit of shrimp juice (LOL) on her food, she is headed straight for the ER. We would not risk it there with her. I don't know how often the grill is really cleaned well, or how often the skewers are really cleaned between cooking.

All the meat is cooked on seperate skewers, since they cook at diff times, but they are all on the same firepit.

You could give the manager a call and ask, but if she's as sensitive as my aunt is, I wouldn't risk doing it... better safe than sorry sometimes.

I didn't have any problems with my allergies at 'Ohana and plan to eat there again.

They may cook her food elsewhere. I have multiple allergies and was concerned about Teppanyaki in Japan, and was told they would prepare my meal off-stage to avoid cross contamination. Call the Poly, and ask for the restaurant then ask for a manager. It's worth asking!

kandeebunny said:
They may cook her food elsewhere. I have multiple allergies and was concerned about Teppanyaki in Japan, and was told they would prepare my meal off-stage to avoid cross contamination. Call the Poly, and ask for the restaurant then ask for a manager. It's worth asking!

Regarding Teppanyaki....my food was cooked on the same grill as everyone else. Fortuantely, no one ordered shrimp during my meal so my allergy issues weren't an issue. They do clean those grills after each group.

Good luck!

I'm allergic to most of the ingredients in the sauces they use on their meats so they will have to cook it seperatly as its only a party of 2 at a table for 8! They also said they would have soy sauce I could eat!!! I'm so excited, I haven't been able to have soy sauce in years!

bucky1023 said:
My mom is allergic to shrimp, will she be able to eat at ‘Ohana’s, or is everything cooked right next to each other?

She will be fine as long as the shrimp doesn't touch what she eats, but i don't want to risk anything.

They do have ways to cook meats other than on the pit. We took a couple of friends there last year and they made the steak separately with no marinade in an oven. We were told it was just as good as the ones on teh pit. They have no problem with that, just let your server know and talk to the chef if you want.

I work in the restaurant business and I know Disney has the reputation of being one of the most accomodating when in couple to allergy requests. I believe their policy is to contact the restaurant about 48 hours in advance when you have such a need. They would probably prepare the food in the Kona Cafe's kitchen. If her allergy is so severe that if she inhales the aroma of shrimp she has a reaction, then you may want to consider. I would definitely contact Ohana directly and speak with someone who can help you out.

Just a note, I believe the small wontons served before the meat course contain shrimp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter