Should I use a travel agent?

onesam319

Mouseketeer
I just held a room for a sailing on Wonder next February. I have 3 days to complete the reservation. I'm wondering if I should use a travel agent. My first Disney cruise was February of this year and I did not use a TA. I also have some rewards built up on my Chase Disney rewards card, but am not sure how to use them. Help on either or both of these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I recently started using a TA. I get an OBC from him so why not? Don't see a downside.

So far it has been the same. Only benefit has been the on board credit. I know there are other TAs who give OBC and wine or something extra as well.

What happens to the onboard credit if you don't use it all during the cruise?

Our first few cruises were without a TA then we had some friends whose cruise was cancelled at the last minute. They explained how their travel agent took care of everything (rescheduling the cruise) for them and they didn't have to worry about sitting on hold with DCL. After hearing about their experience we started using their TA. We get a small OBC from them and the cruise rate is no extra than if we booked it on our own. We also have a Disney Chase rewards card--to begin using your rewards dollars you have to call and request your redemption card (it's a disney gift card). Then, as you earn more rewards dollars, you just call disney to have them put onto your gift card (you use the same gift card so don't throw it away). I'm not sure about using those on the cruise to pay for things....

I usually use a TA if the OBC will be significant. It's also nice to have them as a representative if there is a problem as PP noted.
I've transferred my chase rewards dollars to a card, then taken the card to guest services after boarding and asked them to apply to our cabin...on our last cruise it was the only payment we used and I left with $19.95 still on the card. :)

Is the fare the same or less with a TA?

It should be the same, FWIW. Only time it appears to be different is when you're trying to use costcotravel.com but aren't logged in. Once you log in the price becomes what it should be.

I use a TA to get money back. I have used costcotravel.com to get the cash card after a Disney cruise, and to get OBC for Royal. I need no hand-holding, so I don't need a personalized TA that will do things for me.

We use Costco for the gift card after we return. Not sure if you know, but if you use your Disney rewards cards for all payments - through Disney certified agents? - you get an additional $50 OBC.

But my advice is to always go through an agent - the price is the same but you should get a benefit from it, in terms of OBC/Costco cash. Plus advice and expertise I guess . For those of us who like to be in control, it's more work, but it's worth it!

Depending on where the OBC came from, you'll either lose it (if from a TA or DCL) or it will be refunded (if you purchased OBC before cruising).

I thought that the OBC from the TA was refundable. Don't know for sure, since we have never had a problem spending the OBC :-)

I thought that the OBC from the TA was refundable. Don't know for sure, since we have never had a problem spending the OBC :-)
Could be, after I wrote that something in the back of my little brain said "I don't think that's right about the TA OBC". But, like you, can't confirm that. Hopefully someone can.

I just held a room for a sailing on Wonder next February. I have 3 days to complete the reservation. I'm wondering if I should use a travel agent. My first Disney cruise was February of this year and I did not use a TA. I also have some rewards built up on my Chase Disney rewards card, but am not sure how to use them. Help on either or both of these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We finally used a TA for our third DCL cruise as we have booked way early this time instead of the last min GTY deals. Same price but you get OBC, which is easy to use cuz you can put it towards tips and excursions. My TA was able to get us rooms that I couldn't see over DCLs main website so I'm really glad I went with a TA this time. She was able to get us a HA room that connects to a regular room which was exactly what we were hoping for.

I've used a TA for all my 8 Disney Cruises and I like giving my TA all my travel parameters (dates, destinations, budget, passengers, etc.) and let them do the searching for me. The extra shipboard credit doesn't hurt either. I really like the personal attention I get from my TA and the fact that when I call they all know who I am. I've also that I've met the owners on three previous cruises and they arrange time to meet with me to discuss my needs and how they can do a better job. My TA has also arranged for private tours for their customers on one of my transatlantic cruises and they went above and beyond anything Disney provided for the same tour. I highly recommend that you find a TA that meets your needs and help plan your cruises/vacations.

I recently started using a TA. I get an OBC from him so why not? Don't see a downside.
The downside is the middle man that the TA creates. Whether or or not an OBC or other perks outweigh that middle man or not is where the decision lies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter