Should I go or not go?

ZiPaD3doDAH

DIS Veteran
Here is the deal:

I've had my trip planned since January to be in Disneyland from Nov 7-10th however, I just heard they are filming the christmas parade that saturday and sunday. Can anyone confirm this? A google search is not turning up anything but I've heard a couple of people say this on here.

The main question is: do you think it is worth it for a first timer to go? I don't want to experience disneyland at a crazy high attendance and have crazy wait-times.

I'm a cast member (at WDW) until late December and get in for free so I feel I should take advantage of the free admission but not sure if it will be worth it.

Any advice out there?

Here is the deal:

I've had my trip planned since January to be in Disneyland from Nov 7-10th however, I just heard they are filming the christmas parade that saturday and sunday. Can anyone confirm this? A google search is not turning up anything but I've heard a couple of people say this on here.

The main question is: do you think it is worth it for a first timer to go? I don't want to experience disneyland at a crazy high attendance and have crazy wait-times.

I'm a cast member (at WDW) until late December and get in for free so I feel I should take advantage of the free admission but not sure if it will be worth it.

Any advice out there?

Crowds are not going to go down between Nov. 7th and Christmas, and neither is airfare. You should read reports on what to expect on taping days, it basically affects Main St and the castle. DCA will not be impacted much.

Crowds are not going to go down between Nov. 7th and Christmas, and neither is airfare. You should read reports on what to expect on taping days, it basically affects Main St and the castle. DCA will not be impacted much.

Yup, I am trying to search for reports on taping days but nothing is showing up really. I plan on avoiding the parade and heading straight to the attractions at DL but not sure if there will be bad wait times because of the crowd that came in for the parade.

I've been there during the filming. It didn't really seem to affecct attendence one way or the other. I think you're over thinking this.

I've been there during the filming. It didn't really seem to affecct attendence one way or the other. I think you're over thinking this.

Maybe I am. I just hear about how crowded it is and how you can barley walk around in WDW's MK so I'm not sure exactly what to expect over there. Considering this is my first trip to DL I really wanted things to go smoothly.

I will be working the WDW christmas parade this year (I am a cast member on main street at MK) so I guess i'll be experiencing both of the tapings this year!

In our experience, the areas most affected are (as stated above) Main Street, the Hub, and the area in front of the castle. Those areas are relatively easy to avoid, but it will affect you if, for example, you wanted dream photos in front of the castle.

I had the opposite experience. I went for my birthday in 2006 and the parade taping was going on.

It was AWFUL. Tickets were sold out before the parks even opened. Sold out meaning they were not selling tickets to anyone who did not already have one. I think this was only at certain times though.

It was so crowded and we barely went on any rides. Some areas were better than others but overall I just remember crowds. It was my 21st birthday and my sons first trip so you would think I would have good memories but I just remember how crowded it was.

BUT...

If you get in free, it may be worth it. You may not get the same experience as you would on lighter days but free is free.

My trip was 8 years ago so things may be better now with crowds.

I think the year I went, Miley Cyrus was there and that was back when Hannah Montana was popular so it could depend on what celebrities are there too.

If you can pick a different date it might be better but you just never know. There are lots of dates that will be more crowded and some less.

They shoot the parade on Main St and the performances on the stage on different days. So the experience is not the same on both days.

You should go. Its always crowded so just go and avoid the main street area. If you want to leave DL to go to DCA, just take the railroad and get off near the front gate to avoid the parade crowds on main street. Have a great time.

Go and have fun its free as you said and sure it will never be walk on at DL now will it ever be a perfect trip things go wrong every where. I would go and just plan on a little longer wait on the rides you most wanted to do.

I would definitely go. Past crowd experiences may not reflect this year's, and Disney is currently building a corridor on Main Street to help with crowd flow. From what I've read, it sounds like they were maybe mostly planning to use it at night, but if it is ready in time for the parade filming and if the parade filming gets hectic, they might be able to open it if it is necessary. Even if not, you got tips for navigating anyway. :)

If you are going to be there the Friday and Monday before parade filming, those might be pretty good times to go, whether or not the weekend is hectic. (The Friday was pretty good a couple years back.) You might miss fireworks and you might not be able to get the iconic castle shot, both because of the stage they set up in front of the castle. When I went and there were no fireworks on Friday, Toontown was open until the park closed at 11, which is pretty rare. It reminded me of the good old days when I was...still above the target age for Toontown but rode Gadget's Go-Coaster like 6 times in a row because no one was back there late at night. :)

Disneyland is more of a "locals" park, so if you get there before rope drop, you should be in very good shape for the first hour or two, even on a busy day. Use that early time and Fastpass wisely and you should be fine. And if you expect crazy crowds and are met with regular crowds, you will be pleasantly surprised...keeping your expectations low can actually help your enjoyment. Or at least, it's worked for me in the past. :rotfl:

Have a great trip!

I would still go...Disneyland is getting to a point that there is no "great" time to go! It is crowded, but there are ways to still have a great time. Go to the parks early, take a break mid day or go to the shows, and head back at night.

One thing to note is CDA is literally a few hundred feet from DL, nothing like WDW. If DL is crazy, head to CDA!

Go.... have fun...enjoy the decorations!

Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts!

I do arrive that Friday beforehand so i'll try to hit my top things that day and get my castle shot that day :thumbsup2

The only thing that can mess up a Disney trip is you. That's what I tell myself. Crowds, tapings, heat....I can't control those things. But I can control how much fun I believe I'm having. I've been to WDW when they were taping the Christmas Parade, and while it was inconvenient, it didn't ruin any aspect of my trip. I don't think the same thing happening at DL will be any different.

If you're delaying the trip, don't delay it to the next weekend, because then you're running into the Avengers rundisney event!

I plan on avoiding the parade and heading straight to the attractions at DL but not sure if there will be bad wait times because of the crowd that came in for the parade.

Maybe I am. I just hear about how crowded it is and how you can barley walk around in WDW's MK ...

I will be working the WDW christmas parade this year (I am a cast member on main street at MK) so I guess i'll be experiencing both of the tapings this year!

Sounds like you haven't yet experienced the parade taping at MK? We were there (at MK) on one of the days that was slated, and it affected us in NO way. IN fact it was our first WDW trip. We stayed out of the area.

The crowds that came in for the taping will...still be at the taping. :) From what I have read many times, they do piece after piece after piece of it over and over again. It's not a parade that goes through once and is done.

Extra nice thing...they'll have the tree up for it. :) I think that they take it down in between then and when Christmas season officially starts, so this is a bonus.

How cool will it be, to experience the taping in both places? I say, go!

Does the taping of the Christmas show affect Extra Morning Hour time for onsite guests?
Is it 100% for sure they are taping that weekend of Nov. 8th?
We have reservations from Nov. 8th - Nov. 11th.

I second this.

My very first trip ever was a one day trip on the Saturday they were filming the Christmas parade.

PLEASE don't cancel your trip because they will be filming the parade during one day of your trip!

The weekends are always busy at Disneyland. The best time to avoid crowds is first thing in the morning. And even that is not a guarantee. Take advantage of FP and single rider lines. Unlike MK, none of the Fantasyland rides have FP. But Matterhorn has a single rider line. Splash and Indy have both. Now, this can be an incredible time saver.

Also, unlike MK, you can't cut through the shops to get all the way down Main St. If the street is busy, your best bet is hopping on the train. You can also take the monorail into Tomorrowland from Downtown Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter