• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

shopping for pre-teen girl

Photobee

Mouseketeer
My oldest daughter is at the point where she can start wearing teen sizes in clothes....but what are the good stores? We don't like to spend a ton on clothing, so inexpensive but good quality are a must. Also, modesty is an absolute must!

Where does your tween aged daughter shop for clothes? She's almost out of Justice sizes, so it's almost time to move on! :(

also, where do you get Disney themed shirts/clothing for teenagers? She's pretty much too old for the cutesy stuff from the Disney store!

Thank you so much for all your help...this is new territory! :crazy2:

Doesn't Justice go up to size 20? I only ask because I have a 27 year old Korean sister who still wears justice clothes but she wears a size 14.

My daughter is 11 and loves the following stores (sales are pretty good). She wears a size 10/12. She is still in kid sizes but can wear xs or xxs tops from some of the junior store sizes

abercrombie kids
Forever 21 girls
Hollister
American Eagle
Tilly's (Kids and Junior sizes)
Delilah
Nordstroms
Dillards
Macy's
Bloomingdales
PacSun

Hot Topic has Disney theme clothes. So do some of the stores I mentioned above.

Aeropostale is "out" now but they have a kid store called P.S. Aeropostale

all depends on the style, unfortunately DD is an odd body type, tall but thin, and it is hard to get junior clothes that fit her waist size.

Old Navy has been our best bet for jeans and pants. And she even likes some of their tops. We also have done pretty well at Rue 21.

She is also a t-shirt nut, and we have bought a lot of the daily shirts from TeeFury.com when we see one that is in her geekdom (and there are a lot).

She also goes to Hot Topic a lot for graphic tees (and they do have some Disney clothes) but we have to keep her from the more grown-up girl outfits there occasionally

I'm in the same boat. We do a lot of shopping at Kohls. I signed up for text alerts and they send coupons. You can sign up for deals with your email if you don't text. I also try to shop there when they are offering Kohls cash.

My oldest daughter is at the point where she can start wearing teen sizes in clothes....but what are the good stores? We don't like to spend a ton on clothing, so inexpensive but good quality are a must. Also, modesty is an absolute must! Where does your tween aged daughter shop for clothes? She's almost out of Justice sizes, so it's almost time to move on! :( also, where do you get Disney themed shirts/clothing for teenagers? She's pretty much too old for the cutesy stuff from the Disney store! Thank you so much for all your help...this is new territory! :crazy2:

We do a lot of gap kids. I shop online through ebates and usually get 40% off plus free shipping.

My DD is almost 13 (YIKES!!!!). She likes to shop at American Eagle, Areo, Hot Tropic, Hollister, kohls...

We mainly do the sales and clearance racks. Shopping this ways puts the mentioned stores in the same price bracket as Justice (which I also only shopped sales and clearance racks). Sign up for emails and texts!

She loves Thrift stores.
TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Ross also carry a lot of the brands at much cheaper prices.

My 11 y/o twins wear about a 14 at Justice and are starting to get out of the justice stage ... they also like Aero - we've hit some great sales - the other day got Bermuda length denim shorts for $2.97 too bad there were only 3 pair that were 00.
They got some Hollister hand-me-downs from my friend's teen daughter, and they love those... so it looks like that may be our next store.

a lot of the shirts in the teen stores are too long for them (they aren't quite 5 ft yet) We have to watch buying V-neck as the V is very low .

We shop a lot a Kohls - great coupons/clearances.
Macy's

DDs got a few Disney shirts in Kohls last year.

We were at Wet Seal yesterday. We saw several Disney themed t-shirts and sweatshirts. The store was having 40 percent off plus an extra 10 percent if you sent a text.

DD11 has outgrown girls' sizes too. She's not much into fashion, so I don't have advice on regular clothes. But I have gotten her some cute Disney shirts in the juniors department of both Kohls and Walmart.

DD15 is petite and just recently grew out of kids sizes.

We mostly shop at Abercrombie (and she can still wear some things from Abercrombie kids), Hollister, Delia's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and American Eagle.

We do most of the stores mentioned above. Another tip is to see if you have a Plato's closet nearby. It's a consignment store for the teen/college set. I found some great deals on things for DD there, some things even still have the tags on them.

Kohls, Gordmans, Maurices, Target, JC Penney, thrift stores, consignment. For Disney you can find shirts at Walmart, Hot Topic, Delia's, and Disney Store, among others.

A lot of the shirts these days are too low necked or too sheer, but DD13 wears a tank top/cami under almost everything. The camis from Aero or Kohls are okay under a thin top, but for V-necks she really needs something that comes up higher. Down East Basics has a cami that comes up significantly higher than the usual:

http://downeastbasics.com/wondercamisole-2.aspx

Most department stores have juniors sections. My teens have things from Kohl's, Macy's, JCP, and Target, to name a few. There are also stores that cater to teens. Delia's caters to younger teens. Aeropostale is reasonably priced and popular. There's American Eagle in a similar, though somewhat more expensive vein. Then there are the trendier, higher priced stores like Abercrombie and Hollister.

Besides all the others mentioned my small DD13 likes Forever21 and H&M. Her jeans are always from A&F kids, as she's short.

Get ready, nothing at these teen/tween/young adult stores is cheap. I do try to hit the clearance racks, and be picky as some items are cheaper in one store than another.

It was a sad day when gymboree, justice and gap kids were a no go anymore. I always found more coupons and sales for those stores.

DD13 Shops at most of the stores above for tops. For bottoms it's a little tougher. She is only 4'11 and about 85 pounds. Aero is a good place for bottoms as they have size 000. So, lot of her pants come from there - don't ever buy anything full price though. They always have 50% off sales or more.

It is a challenge to find decent, modest, and reasonably priced clothing for girls. I find that Lands End usually has great choices, especially where length of dresses and skirts is important. I've also had decent luck at Target.

For Disney clothing: I've found some items (tops and hoodies) at Walmart, Kohl's, and H&M, but I'm actually making coordinating skirts for my girls to suit our modesty needs.

We do most of the stores mentioned above. Another tip is to see if you have a Plato's closet nearby. It's a consignment store for the teen/college set. I found some great deals on things for DD there, some things even still have the tags on them.

We'll have to check Plato's closet, thanks for the reminder! We were in there once, but I didn't like the fact that all their shorts were so short! My daughter is only 12, but very tall, and we have a rule that shorts for out in public have to touch her fingertips! VERY hard when your tall, skinny, and have long arms! But we'll try them again!

Kohls, Gordmans, Maurices, Target, JC Penney, thrift stores, consignment. For Disney you can find shirts at Walmart, Hot Topic, Delia's, and Disney Store, among others.

A lot of the shirts these days are too low necked or too sheer, but DD13 wears a tank top/cami under almost everything. The camis from Aero or Kohls are okay under a thin top, but for V-necks she really needs something that comes up higher. Down East Basics has a cami that comes up significantly higher than the usual:

http://downeastbasics.com/wondercamisole-2.aspx

That looks like a great product, and reasonably priced too! I might have to get one for myself too! :) Thanks for the recommendation!

It is a challenge to find decent, modest, and reasonably priced clothing for girls. I find that Lands End usually has great choices, especially where length of dresses and skirts is important. I've also had decent luck at Target.

For Disney clothing: I've found some items (tops and hoodies) at Walmart, Kohl's, and H&M, but I'm actually making coordinating skirts for my girls to suit our modesty needs.

Yeah, the modesty thing is a huge issue it seems! Most things are just too short, or too low, or too "fitted" for her size and age! I have been very pleased to see so many maxi styled skirts in the stores around us!

Thank you for all your suggestions and ideas! It's hard to get your mind around the fact that your 12 year old daughter has to shop in the teen area now. And at stores like Old Navy, now we're going to be shopping in the same department! She's not going to like that very much!

we'll definately be hitting some clearance racks and keeping an eye out for sales!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter