• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sheraton Safari

maggiew

DIS Veteran
We stayed at the Sheraton Safari hotel one night pre-cruise (June 26, 2005) and two nights post cruise (July 1 & 2). We had a wonderful stay. Everyone there was most helpful and pleasant. While checking in, I must have been asked by 3 different employees if I wanted a cookie. Check in was easy. We had a Safari Suite in building 4 on the 4th floor both times. The suite was great and we had a great view of the pool. Truthfully, this room made me consider staying offsite in the future (we are normally an on site family). There was room for everyone. There were 2 TVs. Now, normally while at Disney we don't watch TV because we are either at the Parks or DTD or something. But since this was a leisurely trip, we did spend time in the room a little. The 2 TVs were nice for the kids. We had 2 queen (?? maybe double) beds in the bedroom with a balcony and then the pullout sofa in the living room. There was also a little kitchenette. The bathroom area was big too. There was a room with the toilet and shower/tub. But outside the room there was a large vanity with 2 sinks, a huge mirror, etc. There was also an ironing board and iron in the closet in the bedroom.

The pool was fun and the kids enjoyed splashing around in the pool. DD rented a little pool float of a dolphin for $5 and she enjoyed that. The serpent slide looked fun and they went down that a few times.

47b5d925b3127cce92c4df5f144e00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4df49145800000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4df21143000000025118AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4df4a956b00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4df4d145c00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4df0e952f00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4dc0dd5b500000025118AaMmzJk5bNO

47b5d925b3127cce92c4dcc7d57f00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

We stayed all 3 nights for free with our Starwood points. I would gladly stay here for anywhere up to the price of a moderate hotel at Disney. I know many people have gotten this (a regular room, not the suite) for $35 on Priceline. I would stay there for that price in a heartbeat. I did see some of the regular rooms when we were walking to the pool and they looked great too.

Maggie

I stayed at the Safari on my first WDW trip, and I loved it. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is beautiful. I'd definitely consider another stay there in the future.

I'm so happy to hear this. We're staying here for 1 night before we check into POR. I got it for $52 on priceline.

Paula

We stayed here over Christmas. The rooms were nice enough but the front desk person said we couldn't leave our dogs unattended and go to the parks. My dad ended up staying in the room the whole time and missing out on using his admission ticket to WDW. The dogs liked the yard in back. The maids were clueless when you talked to them...I mean didn't speak a word of english. It was ok but we probably won't go back since the cost was almost the same as the wilderness lodge!

We too loved the Sheraton Safari for offsite accomodations. Your photo's are great, thank you for sharing.

We just stayed here for one night post-cruise a few weeks ago. We absolutely loved it!! We are going back for 10 nights in November. The staff was excellent and the rooms were large and welcoming.

Thanks for the great review and pictures. I've been thinking about staying here.

LeahA said:
Thanks for the great review and pictures. I've been thinking about staying here.

Travelzoo is running a special from now - Dec (not sure when it ends), for $59.

Maggie, thanks so much for the FANTASTIC photos you took of your "Safari Suite" at the Sheraton Safari. My family is booked there in a similar accomodation for five nights at Christmas. It looks as if it will fit our needs. However, we're still hoping for a Starwood Platinum upgrade to one of their six larger suities; the additional 250 sq. ft. (and full kitchen) would be a contributing factor in our quest for true holiday happiness. However, since our entire stay is on points, we'll just count our blessings! :cheer2:

Thanks again!

Arlene

:confused3 Well I wish I can say we had a good visit at this hotel but we didn't. We checked in a few weeks ago on a saturday at noon and left at 6 the same night. (We originally booked for 2 nights.) Sorry but I could not share the room with 2 roaches, yes 2 on the pillows after I tried to take a quick nap. I am going to say that you get what you pay for! I have stayed at several (almost all) Disney resorts and Universal Resorts (we get the florida resident rates) and have never seen a bug in any room or lobby! You know the saying 'if they come out in daylight there are plenty more!' I am glad that people have had positive stays here but I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone else! :wave2:

Thanks for the heads up, Brandywine. You're right, you do get what you pay for; and we've paid for lots of Starwood stays, both here and abroad. Consequently, we feel that when we redeem points for a stay, that stay should meet, or exceed, the Starwood standard.

My husband has his heart set on staying at the Sheraton Safari, due to it's great location. We talked about it this morning after receiving your email, and have outlined our action plan. We are going to contact the hotel's general manager, as well as enlist the services of the Platinum member desk of the Starwood chain, and see if we can get the roaches evicted from the Sheraton Safari!

If the hotel's general manager and the Platinum desk can't take care of this, then we will continue up the Starwood chain until we find someone who can!

Thanks again for the info!

Arlene

I stayed at the Sheraton Safari last Friday night, booked on Priceline for $50 (I should have checked biddingfortravel . . . I think I could have paid less, though I'm not sure because of the big FAMU/BCC football game last weekend).

I wouldn't knowingly stay there again. I found the hallways and elevator poorly maintained, and the overall decor of the building's interior to be unpleasant (I was in building 4). But worst of all? (Warning . . . grossness ahead . . . proceed with caution. . . ) I found a large, dirty, toenail clipping on the floor of my room, in a very visible spot that's just not reasonable to think housekeeping should have missed. Ewwwww.

Priceline has this rated as 3.5 stars . . . I beg to differ. I said as much in response to the post-visit survey they sent.

True, the location was convenient, I was really happy to be right across the street from Dunkin' Donuts and so close to a WDW entrance. Plus the front desk staff were super-friendly. But, again I say, ewwww.

I'm really glad I stayed there on this trip, because I'd considered staying there for longer stays, and now I'll know to stay away.

I've stayed in this hotel several times. The public areas look brand new (the pool area is spactacular) and the rooms are typical Sheraton quality. It's definitely worth a 3* rating (which is what Priceline rates it as well).

It's not perfect -- it was built as a Days Inn and Suites in the mid-1980s (and converted into a Wyndham a decade later... it was re-flagged then renovated into a Sheraton a few years ago). Some aspects of this hotel show their Days Inn heritage: the service areas are on the bottom floors of two buildings (as opposed to being underground/concealed elsewhere) facing the pool (although concealed), making the rooms on the gound floor of these buildings have exterior corridors... one building is entirely comprised of suites with exterior corridors, etc...

It does appear the property owner ran out of money while renovating the hotel: the elevators, while very nicely renovated, are extemely slow; the hallways weren't renovated; some rooms don't have in-wall air conditioner controls; and some rooms have older phones (I think they're working on the last two).

As for roaches... I've had roaches in several rooms within Disney hotels. Hey, it's Florida -- if you (or maybe the previous guest within your room) leave your door/patio open, they're going to get it.

Thanks for the info, LAS2AMS. You're right; based on our research, a few of our friends have experienced roach and/or insect problems in Floridian hotels -- including premier Disney properties.

We have assurances that the Sheraton Safari will be bug free during our stay, thanks to scheduled extermination visits. If not.....well, we'll cross that bridge IF we get to it.

Bottom line: no hotel is perfect; for a bargain basement vacation such as this one, the hotel suits us.....perfectly. Overall, and on various websites, the positive comments regarding Sheraton Safari have outweighed the negative ones.

We've decided to take our chances. We arrive in 22 days. I'll give a travel report once we've returned. :cheer2: :cool1:

'Happy holidays to all!

Arlene

We are at the Safari right now, and I have to say that we are delighted with this hotel! We stayed here for the first time in 2005, and were excited to have the opportunity to stay again with the $59. rate from travelzoo.

Our room is spotless (well, not anymore ;) ), spacious and very comfortable. We are all sleeping very will in our comfy beds with all of the extra pillows. The lobby, pool and common areas are clean and well kept, and I don't hear any noise from the other rooms or hallways.

The breakfast buffet is fresh, plentiful and reasonably priced. Adults are $9.99 and kids 10 and under are free. We ate at 10:00 am yesterday morning, and my husband and I did not eat again until our dinner arrived at 6:00 at Sci-Fi.

My only (very small) complaint would be that the bathroom area is teensy. If you were perched upon the commode and an unsuspecting family member were to open the door, you might get your knee smacked.

I would be happy to stay here for the rest of the week, and I am actually a little disappointed to be checking out this morning, even though we are heading over to Orbit One for a week in a 2bdrm condo. This is a beautiful hotel and I would not hesitate to stay again, or recommend to anyone.

Hey, Faye, thanks for taking precious vacation time to give us a live update! 'Hope ya'll are having a fantastic time. :wave2:

Arlene

Thanks, Faye, for posting a review during your vacation! We are scheduled to arrive on Dec. 16 and won a priceline bid of $39/night. I'm looking forward to it! :cheer2:

Ok, my dis friends - due to the great reviews and the sweet sleeper beds. We booked a stay at Sheraton Safari. This will be our first time off sight. I was able to get a government rate that saved us money. Wondering if anyone can tell me is the pool heated?

We will be in Orlando in the end of March.
Looking forward to our trip!
:cheer2:

tranquil14 said:
Thanks, Faye, for posting a review during your vacation! We are scheduled to arrive on Dec. 16 and won a priceline bid of $39/night. I'm looking forward to it! :cheer2:

We've stayed there before (thanks to a cheap rate from priceline) and it is worth every penny of that $39! The beds are wonderful!!! I always cross my fingers for this one when we stay offsite. Hope you enjoy!

and sorry...don't know about the pool.....we go to WDW about 3x a year and have yet to put even a toe into one hotel pool! We get kinda distracted..... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter