"Shark Reef" To Be "Deep Sixed"

Another one bites the dust.

Closure after closure after closure. And NO announcements of replacement attractions. And we're just supposed to be ecstatic over the leftovers.

Obviously Iger is a disciple of the Less for More philosophy.

Another one bites the dust.

Very sad but seems to be a running theme lately :sad:

The biggest problem I have when disney takes an attraction away is the timeframe it takes to replace it with something new. (If ever;))

Closure after closure after closure. And NO announcements of replacement attractions. And we're just supposed to be ecstatic over the leftovers.

I just expect they will lower the entrance price now. Since they've significantly reduced their operating expense, instead of pocketing the savings they could pass them on to us!

2018 can't come fast enough for me, I am so over the Iger Era.

This is my favorite thing to do at either water park. I'm not a water park person generally, but LOVED this controlled snorkeling experience and would go to Typhoon Lagoon just for this attraction. Boo Hoo, I think this rumor stinks.

This is such an awesome unique draw for the water park, sad to see it go.

Lots seems to be closing but yet not enough opening to make up for these things "yet".

I use to be one of those "Disney still has all the magic it always has" people, and mostly still am but I'm shocked to say... I hear everyone now to an extent, it's getting disappointing hearing all these shut downs and nothing really given back to us after all the money and excitement we look for in these trips. Here's to hoping! :)

That's too bad. That's something that was really neat.

I wonder what they will do with the fish and the sharks...I guess euthanize them.

I highly doubt they would euthanize them. There are a bunch of really expensive fish and creatures in there. It is more likely that they will transfer a few to Epcot and then sell the rest off to other aquariums or private purchasers.

Well, that just sucks. One of the most unique water park features anywhere.

I am like the others and stunned that this is going. It really was a unique attraction to the WP. My DD and I did this for the first time in May (first time I could talk her into doing it with me) and I had a great time, DD did as well until something spooked her and then I had to help her get to the end of the reef. I was hoping to do this again when we go to TL again, but I guess that won't happen :sad2:.

It's true. DHS in particular is starting to feel patched together and skeletal. I keep telling myself something big must be coming, but it would be nice if they'd make some exciting announcements to go along with all the "We're getting rid of.." announcements.:rolleyes:

Is that true, like is that written somewhere? I hope so.

When they closed Discovery island, they relocated animals to Animal Kingdom. There is no need to euthanize animals that can be placed elsewhere. If not EPCOT, they would likely send them to another aquarium. I would have to look it up, but their licensing may compel them to do such a thing if they can no longer keep an animal.

So while not written anywhere handing, it seems this would be governed by regulation of captive animals.

Oh geez, after many years of going we justed started doing it two years ago and now it's going to be gone. What a drag! :headache:

It is one of my favorites at TL and something no other waterpark has. We have had waterpark APs several times and I go through Shark Reef a couple times each day there.
The only thing I can think of similar is Discovery Cove. I wonder if Sea World Parks built off the idea. When I was at Shark Reef in September I thought of how it was a cheap version of Discovery Cove.
I wonder if they will convert it to a separate pay attraction like it used to be with the snuba? For a while one side was the free snorkel and the other side was an additional charge snuba. In recent years only one side is open and rotates each day for the free snorkel experience.

After our APs expired last week, we made the decision to wait to return to WDW until younger DD is over 40 inches tall. I'd like to give a great big thanks to Disney for confirming that I made the right choice. This was my DH's favorite activity at either waterpark. We love BB, but when we go to TL, it's pretty much because he wants to do the shark experience. I'm not a big snorkeler, but I still think it was an interesting and unique attraction.

When they closed Discovery island, they relocated animals to Animal Kingdom. There is no need to euthanize animals that can be placed elsewhere. If not EPCOT, they would likely send them to another aquarium. I would have to look it up, but their licensing may compel them to do such a thing if they can no longer keep an animal.

So while not written anywhere handing, it seems this would be governed by regulation of captive animals.

Assuming they are AZA approved they have to have a plan in place to relocate all the animals. That being said, it is Disney and they tend to do what is best for their bottom dollar.

It is a shame to see this one go. Loved the "snuba" with the air tank. Even if it was a small area, it let me get in my snorkeling addiction while going to WDW. Now, I guess we will skip it and just enjoy snorkeling in the real world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter