~~ Sew your Disney side Alli-son-son!! ~~ Allison's grad trip Jan 2016 ~~ Complete 2/22

Our transportation gets pretty interesting starting on the next day I post about... Something critical finally clicked for us - and I cannot wait to share it! One of those "aha" moments for sure!
I'm definitely looking forward to this!

Shady Shuttle (yes - that is actually what it's called
We used the Shady Shuttle once, we had someone with us who had a TON of blisters. :crutches:

Our breakfast this morning was at The Wave
I'm putting this on my list. My boys were never keen on characters (and now they are adults) but we enjoy breakfast buffets! (We love Boma).

Once we were done exploring WL
I need to do this! Thanks for the great photos!

Start sewing/saving for Allison's wedding now. :rolleyes1:bride::dance3:Very Pricey... We visited the Wilderness Lodge in December. I really want to stay there.

We have eaten at Tusker House twice (once breakfast, once lunch) and really didn't care for it either time.... Always found it loud and the characters rushed. The Wave does look quite yummy! May have to give that a try when my girls actually eat more than cereal for breakfast!

Most mornings, I tried to shower before I woke her up - because of the bathroom configuration - we couldn't both be in there at the same time.
That would be annoying for a family of four. We stayed there a couple times in the early 80's, when it was still the Golf Resort, and all I remember is the long driveway that we used to walk to get to and from the Poly.

Is Allison wearing her phone on a lanyard around her neck? That looks like a good idea.

At the end of the meal, I asked Allison - if given a choice between Tusker House or The Wave, which she would choose? And hands down - The Wave would win... So, there you have it folks - the new breakfast must-do is The Wave! :woohoo:
That breakfast looks delicious. I bet it is a lot cheaper than Tusker House, too. I want to try the sweet potato pancakes.

Since there wasn't a wedding going on - we were allowed to look in on the chapel - it's gorgeous!
Was the door open or did you have to ask someone to show it to you? It looks like a beautiful place for a wedding.

Again - we hopped into a car, and Monica gave us a ride to the Boardwalk... I was very thankful for the ride - it made transportation easy for this adventure...
That was really nice to have Monica drive you to the Boardwalk. It would probably have taken you at least 40 minutes by Disney transportation.

Your visit with the Teddy Bear Lady sounds nice. I've heard the story but haven't seen her yet.

You took some nice pictures of the Wilderness Lodge. Did you enjoy your visit there?

Poor Allison!! That must have been horrible. Ouch!! She's a trooper. Getting right back onto the rides! Looks like you had a wonderful time at AK. Looking forward to the next post!

Yah - I was pretty proud of her for being able to shake it off... We did end up having a great day.

Your flights really make me thankful we have a few different directs right to MCO from here!
Shades of Green looks like a beautiful resort! My cousins husband is active military, I told her she will have to come with us one of these times to Disney and we can all stay there. It really is some prime real estate for a great price compared to the deluxes all around it.
Poor Allison!! That girl just can not catch a break lately! I hope her pinky didn't bother her too much the rest of the trip. I know how painful ripping your nail off can be!:headache: She seems like a trooper, not letting it rain on her parade
Im looking forward to some more updates!

Yah - we have several direct flights - but since I was doing 3 trips in a year, I had a very set budget I had to stick to - I had been watching flights several times per day for months and this was the first one that even came remotely close to fitting in my budget - so I took it. It worked out in the end - but sometimes I wish I would have held out for something better.

Yes - if you get the opportunity - I highly recommend staying there... It is prime real estate, and even though it's not Disney - it's the next best thing.

She has definitely had a rough month... I keep forgetting to write about her pinky in the TR.... but it does come up again a few times.

You did an update while I was writing my reply lol
You really are selling me on The Wave. I've never eaten there but that food looks delicious!
That abandoned area looks so cool I'll definitely have to take DH by it next trip!
Wilderness Lodge is still on my to do list one of these trips. It's the only deluxe we haven't had the chance to really check out. It looks quite spectacular. I feel like it would make me feel like I'm waking up in Alaska everyday... If Alaska was ever hot and humid

I did - sorry - LOL

Yes - everyone must try The Wave at least once... The food is to die for!

It's fun to look at - but not much to see... I think Allison was a little disappointed at how little of it there was to see.

You should - it's beautiful!

Tell me again, What room you requested at SOG? Is there one you would recommend?

Sooo.... My request was this: 2nd floor, pool view, close to lobby. In my head - I was thinking any of the parts highlighted in yellow - but particularily - I really wanted the Magnolia pool view - if there was nothing available, I would have taken the Mill Pond Pool view - but that would have been a much longer walk.

When I first checked in - they gave me a room in the location indicated by the blue arrow... While it was 2nd floor, pool view and close to the lobby - I didn't think I'd see much of the pool in that area - so I asked if he had anything else available - which is when he found room #206...

(photobucket is undergoing maintenance - I will come back and insert my photo when it comes back online) ::yes::

The location and the view of this room was perfect. But like I said - the bathroom set up was really inconvenient for us, because the set up was different... If my memory serves me correctly - all rooms that were a part of the original 1973 resort are set up this way - the bigger vanities are in all of the subsequent resort additions... Essentially - if you want a view of the magnolia pool, you'll have to deal with an inconvenient bathroom set up. For us "inconvenient" means - the tub and toilet are not separated - so our room, the bathroom was all one room - where other areas of the resort, the sink and vanity are in a separate room from the tub/toilet. Make sense? :) We made it work - but it was inconvenient.

Love your Steamboat Willie outfit! I also have a "thing" for River Country. We started taking our boys to Disney in 1988 and stayed in Ft. Wilderness cabins a couple times. We took them to River Country while staying there - it was a great little water park! I don't get why it was closed? Maybe when they opened Typhoon Lagoon and BB. You could also take a boat to the island across the way. I don't remember what it was called (Discovery Island?) but you could walk trails and look at the birds and other wildlife. I always get nostalgic when we are going by those areas - great memories!

Thank you - I wore it twice in November, so I only wore it once on this trip.

That is awesome - it closed the year before our first trip - at that time, there were still rumors that it was just a temporary closure. Then I think people forgot about it for a while. I believe it was closed because it used the lake water - I've also heard that alligators may have been an issue? Not sure about that though? It sound like it was a wonderful park!

I'm glad you had such a great time despite it being a little cold. That was usually our week to go until our grandson started high school, now we go during spring break. I would have been disappointed if it was cold the whole week. We usually had 1 or 2 cooler days. One year it had been cold for 3 weeks and people were buying winter coats down there, but it warmed up the week we got there. I just wanted to say I love your hair a little longer. It looks great!

We did... It continued to get colder as the days wore on - I really should have had heavier clothes with me. I was very disappointed that it was so cold - but I wasn't going to complain too much - since it was -20 or so at home, so it was really cold here. LOL

Thank you - I am trying to grow it out -but I have no idea how long I want to go? I'll just keep going until I am sick of it, probably - then I'll chop it all off. ::yes::

So, I am really going to have to dig through old photos this weekend. I have some pictures of my second trip ever to WDW...I think it was in 1987. We have some from our visit to River Country. Great pics again! And oh heck, now I have even more places to try to eat at! But the Wave looks yummy! I love the feel of Wilderness Lodge. You all need to try Whispering Canyon Café!

And to answer the question about why it closed...it used lake water for everything, and because of the water bacteria found in lakes in the area (and other fresh water lakes?), they don't allow swimming in them.

Fun!!! I'd love to see them!

Yes - Allison was very intrigued by WCC when we were there, and it's somewhere I've always wanted to eat at - but never actually gotten there. One day. LOL

That's what I was thinking - but I heard someone mention alligators at one time too... :scratchin

I'm glad to know other people have the same River Country obsession that I do. I've always wanted to sneak in but I don't want to get caught and be banned from Disney property forever. I love watching the YouTube videos from people who have dared to sneak in though.

Yah - it's pretty cool... It kind of freaks me out in a way though. I agree, I would never try to get in there- I would never want to be banned from Disney. ::yes::

The Wave became a family must do for us too! The sweet potato pancakes or amazing!!!!

Every time I see your Steamboat Wille bag I'm reminded how pretty it is! I just LOVE the fabric you used for it.

All of the food is amazing IMO... I wish my stomach was bigger for this restaurant. LOL

Thanks - I do love that bag and that outfit... I love that it's so easy to coordinate with.

Sounds like you had a good first day at Disney. I'm so sorry to hear that the start of Day 2 wasn't good with the accident on EE and all the CM not knowing where first aid was.
It looks like you had a good end to day 2. And a good start on day 3. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

We did! It was perfect and relaxing - I hope every arrival day is this way from here forward.

I am glad to see you here Lillian - I was starting to get worried... When ever you go missing for a few days - I always wonder where you are. :D If I hadn't heard from you yesterday - I was going to see you out. :hug:

Your wave breakfast looks amazing.

Looks like you had a fun busy off day so far.

It was amazing!!! I guarantee we will be eating there a few times for V's trip. LOL Every day - if I had my way. LOL

We did have a good day - it was an interesting day off for sure.

Subbing in!! Your bags and head bands are awesome!!

Your poor daughter! I know how much that must have hurt her finger, I've done the same thing.

Loving your TR so far, can't wait to read more!

Thanks!!! I love dressing up at Disney... And i love coming up with new outfits, ideas and themes. Since we are going at Halloween next - I am anxious for a Halloween theme!

She was in a lot of pain, but she was a trooper for sure!

Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying it!

The wedding chapel is gorgeous! I've never eaten at the Wave, but I've now added it to my list of places to try. I've never heard of the Teddy Bear Lady - do tell!!

It is truly marvelous! I was quite shocked at how beautiful it was.

I recommend that everyone tries it - seriously... Suzi started a trend. LOL

You should be able to search her here on The Dis - I know there was a thread about her a while back. :)

Loved this update!
We are staying at CR for the first time in May, and I've been thinking about booking breakfast at The Wave. Your food pictures look yummy!
Love the wedding pavilion pics and the dream planning.
Can't wait to hear about the Boardwalk. It's pretty much my favorite resort. :lovestruc

Yes - you must, especially if you are staying there.

It was fun to plan out Allison's wedding - even if she knew we were just joking with her.

Oooh - that's coming up next - it was wonderful! And I am not scared of clowns, but I LOVE the whole amusement park theme - I think if I ever stay at a Disney resort again, and I could afford a deluxe - this would be my resort of choice. ::yes::

Gotcha. I have been to WDW once during January and at night especially it got chilly. At least there's no snow there!

That is so cool! A nice touch.

Oh my gosh all that food looks delicious. Just as good as your November trip!

Adorable :
Wow! What a cool idea to do n your off day! I had no idea you could see that much of it on the boat ride to FortW.
I think the place is kind of psooky...in a cool kind of way. I wasn't even born when it closed but I have read a lot about it, and it just amazes me after all these years that Disney kept it there abandoned..
I wonder if they will ever put anything there!

Oh gosh I got to do that a couple years ago! It as so magical. Wow to get married there would be a dream...:

Yes - I was so surprised at how cold it was... And I was so disappointed in my ability to handle it... The cold is definitely different in FL.

Yup - we will be eating at The Wave on every trip from here on out - multiple times. LOL

To me - it is very spooky... I don't think I could ever go there - even though I would love to see it... I would be too creeped out. LOL

I know - if I wasn't already married, I'd be all for having my wedding there. LOL

OMG that nail post had me shuddering. So glad that she was able to get right back into the saddle again. I think I would have been traumatized.

That curry pasta at AKL is TO DIE FOR!!!! Can't wait to get back there to have some. I've tried to duplicate it at home but it just isn't the same.

I know - I am sorry.... It's pretty awful to read about. At least I didn't post pictures. LOL I am very proud of her for pushing on!

YES!!!! I forgot to mention that I purchased an extra one and put it in my fridge back at SoG - so I could have more later in the week... I was so proud of myself for being so thoughtful to do that. LOL I've been wondering about that - I've wanted to duplicate it at home too... :scratchin

I'm so sorry for Allison and her poor finger. I'm glad you guys had fun showing pinkies in a majority of the PP photos. I'm impressed ---- Allison's makeup is still on point even AFTER crying!! She should do makeup tutorials on You Tube!! I'd be a fan!

LOL Yes - after that day though - Allison said "no more pinky pictures"... Hehehehe...

Yes - we are kind of make up freaks... I think she may have touched it up? I don't remember. I'll tell her that - I know she wants to.... I always look at her make up and I feel like mine is so inferior because her's is always so perfect... Goals - I guess. LOL

Great room! SOG looks awesome-especially for the price. So glad you enjoyed it so much-I'm sure you'll be happy to stay there again.

Great safari ride! So many active animals and how cool to be so close to the giraffes. I've always had my best rides during or just after a rain.

Yikes about Allison's nail. I really can't believe any CM would not know where first aid is at a park.

I put the Wave on my list for my June trip! Your photos of the Grand Floridian are getting me excited about staying there for the 1st time!

It is - for the price... It's definitely NOT a Disney resort in any way... but you can still see some of the Disney in it - structurally. So, that's pretty cool - so many attention to detail items - light fixtures, pathway lights, rock work, ceiling/beam work.... For the price and the location - it just really can't be beat.

Yes - I agree - I always have the best safaris right away in the morning or just after a rain.

I know - I was so disappointed in Disney for this, and to me - it was unbelievable.

You must!!!! The Wave is just the best - I think everyone should eat there! I can't wait to hear about your GF trip! :woohoo:

Breakfast at The Wave looks really good. We might have to give it a try sometime. Where at the CR is that Mickey head where you and Allison were sitting? That looks like a great photo op. I have very fond memories of River Country. We were able to get some pictures on the boat ride, too, on our last trip. It's so sad what it has become. I've heard of the teddy bear lady before, but I've never seen her. There was actually a pretty lengthy thread about her on the DIS awhile ago. You could probably find it if you searched for it.

I wanted to clarify about my toe (and the toenail that become detached from the nailbed). My toe is perfectly fine, but my toenail is gross. It has taken forever for the nail to grow back correctly and what has grown back is lumpy and bumpy. It's just gross.

I think everyone needs to try The Wave - it's wonderful!

The Mickey Head at CR is right out the back doors - on the way to the marina/boat docks.

I agree - it's so sad about what it's become - I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took it down completely in the coming years, because it's become a place for so many to try to sneak into.

Ahhh got it - such a bummer.... Do the Drs think it will ever come in normally?

I'm definitely looking forward to this!

We used the Shady Shuttle once, we had someone with us who had a TON of blisters.

I'm putting this on my list. My boys were never keen on characters (and now they are adults) but we enjoy breakfast buffets! (We love Boma).

I need to do this! Thanks for the great photos!

I hope I get to it today... Currently Photobucket is under maintenance though....

We took advantage of the Shady Shuttle quite a bit for outbound, but inbound - we chose a different mode of transportation. :scratchin

I love Boma too - but The Wave - IMO - is much better... I just love it!

Start sewing/saving for Allison's wedding now. Very Pricey... We visited the Wilderness Lodge in December. I really want to stay there.

Hahahaha! I may be hiring out for this... :scratchin

It looks like a beautiful resort!

We have eaten at Tusker House twice (once breakfast, once lunch) and really didn't care for it either time.... Always found it loud and the characters rushed. The Wave does look quite yummy! May have to give that a try when my girls actually eat more than cereal for breakfast!

I used to love it when the girls were younger and the character interaction was better - characters usually aren't as good the older that they get... For as rushed/loud as it is and the food being less than stellar - I prefer non-character meals these days. Although - I wouldn't mind doing Garden Grill again - as C&D are usually pretty good and the food there is excellent.

That would be annoying for a family of four. We stayed there a couple times in the early 80's, when it was still the Golf Resort, and all I remember is the long driveway that we used to walk to get to and from the Poly.

Is Allison wearing her phone on a lanyard around her neck? That looks like a good idea.

That breakfast looks delicious. I bet it is a lot cheaper than Tusker House, too. I want to try the sweet potato pancakes.

Was the door open or did you have to ask someone to show it to you? It looks like a beautiful place for a wedding.

That was really nice to have Monica drive you to the Boardwalk. It would probably have taken you at least 40 minutes by Disney transportation.

Your visit with the Teddy Bear Lady sounds nice. I've heard the story but haven't seen her yet.

You took some nice pictures of the Wilderness Lodge. Did you enjoy your visit there?

Do you have pictures??? I am dying to see what the rooms looked like - there is NOTHING, absolutely nothing on the internet about the rooms themselves, and very little on the resort... I am so fascinated by it, I would love to see. :lovestruc

She is actually carrying her wallet around her neck... I don't think her phones fit in that? It's a little too small.

It is a lot cheaper - I believe I budgeted $50 for that meal, for the two of us? And TH, I budgeted $80... Both budget amounts include tip.

I know - that was super nice... There were a few times that friends offered to drive us places - and it was wonderful!!!! I am getting to the point where I *could* maybe rent a car on WDW property? I dunno? It would be nice - but then I would have to pay $10/day for parking at SoG (it's not free to park there) plus I think I would have to pay for parking at the parks, since SoG no longer has free parking there either. However - I do think I get free parking with my AP? :scratchin

Thanks - I did love Wilderness Lodge - the only thing that stops me from staying there, is that I love to stay in places that are new to me - and even though I've never stayed at WL - we have a LOT of that sort of thing here - which I've stayed at numerous times, so to me, it's not very unusual. Make sense? I think if someone lived in the city - and not near anything like that, it would be a lot more fun? Despite that - it is beautiful and Disney did an amazing job with it. :lovestruc

*********************************************************************************

I am hoping for a few more updates today and throughout the weekend. :lovestruc

D~

OH my, you are an updating machine! I mean that in a good way!:thumbsup2 I love the pictures from the boat of the old River Country. I think it's interesting too. I remember that place even though I was young. I love the picture you took with Allison on the Mickey ears at CR, pure magic. Wilderness Lodge is really neat. We've had breakfast there once and have enjoyed looking around too. I really like the spring in the lobby that heads out to the pool. The GF is beautiful. A wedding there would be amazing. Allison is a lucky girl!:hyper:

Wowza when you update you really update!

Glad Allison's finger was Ok. i am appalled none of the CM's would help you. and I am shocked you didn't stop at Guest Services and say something!!! I really think the DCP is taking over and (SOME of) the kids just don't care about the Disney Difference. Which just make Disney not the BEST.
anyway

I cannot believe you don't have a picture of Charlie and Tess.. I adore those two!!!

You really have some GREAT Pictures. I hope i would be invited to Allison's wedding.

Allison's pinky injury sounds so painful. Hand and finger injuries always seem to hurt so much. I'm glad she could keep going. I know what you mean about the cold Florida cold is just different. Two of the people I work with were there at the same time as you and mentioned how cold it was. They both came back with awful colds.
You room at SOG looks really nice. The bathroom does sound in convenient.
My daughter started planning our September vacation. At the moment, my niece, her husband and 4 year old son may be going the same time, They'll be staying at CBR and we'll be at AOA in the cars section again. I have to mention the Wave to her. The food looks really good.
Hopefully photobucket starts working again.
Have a good day.
Liz

Oh, poor Allison. That had to have hurt terribly! I think she needs to say "Uncle! I give"!

I am checking in one last time before I go on my trip. Have a wonderful week.

Thanks - I did love Wilderness Lodge - the only thing that stops me from staying there, is that I love to stay in places that are new to me - and even though I've never stayed at WL - we have a LOT of that sort of thing here - which I've stayed at numerous times, so to me, it's not very unusual. Make sense? I think if someone lived in the city - and not near anything like that, it would be a lot more fun? Despite that - it is beautiful and Disney did an amazing job with it. :lovestruc
I feel the same way about the Contemporary. I look at concrete and steel buildings all day, I don't want them on vacation. Plus, the mountain lodge concept is extremely appealing to both DH and me. He loves log cabins and I love the lodge look. And we both love the woods and being able to walk to Fort Wilderness. :)

You will have to think about a car rental for your next trip. Rental + $10/day at SOG probably won't be too much than town car. You would get free parking at parks with AP. Our first family trip we rented a car but the kids were 4, 3, & 1 so it was a pain flying with car seats and the parking lot trams were a pain with the strollers. We didn't try renting again until a few years ago when we started doing off site activities. Now I love having a car. It is so easy to get around. Last trip I had my GPS but I didn't use it too much as the road signs pretty much get you everywhere. I usded GPS to find PO to mail my dirty laundry home.:teeth:

FL cold is different. It is more humid. I find it more bone chilling than the same dryer temp at home.

Last edited:
I am loving all your updates except for some reason I can't see any of your photos :( probably something I have screwed up on my PC :rolleyes1 I am not the best with computers, LOL.

You need to go on youtube and watch the River Country videos, I think someone else mentioned them. Some guy got banned from Disney for sneaking in. I can't get Ronnie to try and walk close enough to peek in with me :dance3:. Did you notice the shoes hanging from the trees on the boat ride from WL to MK? There is some story behind that, something to do with the CM's maybe?? Whispering Canyon Café is a lot of FUN, you need to add that to your must do list :jumping3:.

I really enjoyed our resort day visiting the Teddy Bear Lady and planning Allison's wedding party:. That chapel is so beautiful and with the view of the castle would make such lovely wedding photos.....this is on my Disney bucket list (to attend a wedding at Disney) Hint, Hint Allison. Just kidding her college goals should be her priority now, but when you need that Fairy GodMother I am available!

At D's (and Suzi's) recommendation we tried The Wave's breakfast and it was delicious, it is kind of nice not to deal with the characters and enjoy the meal.

I am glad you found some tricks for the SOG transportation, I enjoyed getting to see it when I dropped you girls off. It was so beautiful, the grounds and everything!

Monica

Just now joining in (just finished reading the pre-trip report) and just wanted to say you have a gift for trip reporting :) I have so enjoyed reading your
reports so thank you for sharing :) Love, Love, Love this mother daughter trip - I have been blessed to have a few of these with my daughter. We also
did a mother/daughter trip last year for her high school graduation - so much fun!!! My husband is retired military so I have considered staying at Shades
of Green - my one question is did it seem "Disney" enough for you? If that makes sense. We enjoy being in the bubble :) I have also never tried to the Wave
but you have definitely convinced me to try it. Can't wait to hear more about this special trip!

Oh gosh. Youre scaring me away from January with all the cold talk. I really want to go for my birthday one year. So far the best plan i have is 2023. I told my husband we will need annual passes. Jan 2023 ill turn 40, then june my daughter will turn 16, july will be my 20th wedding anniversary, nov my son will turn 18, and dec my husband will turn 49. I said it would be a celebration of the last of his 40s and a chance to do new years at disney. But i dont do cold and if i went in jan and it was as cold as you say i would not want to go back at the end of dec. guess ill have to work on winterizing myself. Im kinda glad its 7 years away. Its going to be a tough year to plan for!

Day 3 Part 3

Monica dropped us off right at the lobby of Boardwalk...

Allison and I wandered around for a while - snapping pictures and investigating. I wanted to show her the pool, because I knew she would love the slide - since it is roller coaster themed, but we never did find it. We found lot of other beautiful and wonderful things though...

20160118_135904.jpg

20160118_135937.jpg

20160118_140027.jpg

I was soooo excited to see this - that machine right there is VERY similar to my main machine that I use every single day!

20160118_140051.jpg

20160118_140524.jpg

20160118_140600.jpg

I also love staircases...

20160118_140731.jpg

20160118_140745.jpg

From Boardwalk, we walked to Beach Club... I just love the Boardwalk - some day, if I ever decide to stay in a Disney resort again - I'd really like to make this one happen - it's a theme that I really enjoy.

20160118_140911.jpg

20160118_140932.jpg

20160118_140941.jpg

How does Disney make everything so WHITE???? I don't know how they do it - it seems like everything is magical in the sunshine....

20160118_140951.jpg

20160118_141241.jpg

20160118_141511.jpg

20160118_141722.jpg

20160118_142216.jpg

We had a "snack" ADR at Beaches & Cream... I bet you all know what's coming next - don't you? :scratchin

20160118_143132.jpg

Yes - we did it.... Party of 2, in the corner... Lights and sirens going off - we felt like such piggies... Everyone was staring and gawking at us, but who cares right? We wanted to try it, and darn it - we were going to. LOL Go big, or go home folks!

20160118_144510.jpg

20160118_144531.jpg

This thing was CRAZY!!!!! I think it would have been helpful to have some sort of blueprint map? :scratchin The hardest part, was that they covered the whole thing with an entire can of whipped cream, so digging your spoon into it - you just had no idea what you were going to get... It would have been nice to know if you were digging into mint chocolate chip ice cream or strawberry ice cream - ya know?

We picked all of the cherries off - neither of us like them... And we also picked off all of the sugar candies we could find.

About 10 minutes into it - it all started melting fast - so it was like eating soup... We were getting sick of it in a hurry.

20160118_150020.jpg

10 more minutes and it was this... Yuck...

20160118_150637.jpg

Allison posing with the serving spoon... by this point - we were done and just being silly.

20160118_150527.jpg

To the point - I really started to feel ill...

20160118_150922.jpg

One last photo with the final results....

20160118_151744.jpg

On a side note... Once we ordered our Kitchen Sink - everyone else started ordering them... When we walked into the restaurant - NO ONE else had one, and when we left, there had to be 5 or 6 tables that had ordered them... Granted, we were the only 2 person table... We assumed we started a trend. ::yes::

Bellies full and slightly sick, we hopped on a bus to Downtown Disney - now known as Disney Springs, but I am not sure I will ever get used to that?

We wandered a bit here... Since we knew that there really wasn't much for food options at SoG, we decided to get Earl of Sandwich to go.

20160118_163316.jpg

Here's where we learned how to navigate SoG & Disney transportation to our advantage. Please bear with me, as it's lengthy and no pictures.

So... Our intention was this.... We were going to take the boat across the lake to the west side of DTD - because that's where the SoG bus picks up. The bus picks up once per hour - at the top of the hour. At this point - is was 25 past... So we would make the next bus just on time.

However - the line was long for the boat, and we did not make it on this boat... We would have to wait for the next boat - which means we would have had to wait another hour for the next SoG bus. Got it?

We quickly discussed our options, and decided to ditch to boat to SoG bus idea... And just take the Poly bus then walk to SoG.

On our way off the boat dock, we bumped into a Photopass photographer... So we took our only photopass pictures for the day.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disney_Springs_7582683747.jpg

OK - so we are in line for the Poly bus... Waiting for what seemed like forever.... After a while - still no Poly bus - and me being more and more irritated with Disney transportation as the minutes ticked by... A Contemporary bus pulled up. :scratchin In a split-second decision, Allison and I hopped on that bus. We figured, we'd hop the monorail at CR, get off at the Poly and walk back to SoG. Sigh - I didn't want to do that walk, with a belly full of icecream...

It was on the bus, we realized - SoG buses pick up at TTC every 20 minutes... And it would be close - but we might make the next one? If we ran...

When we pulled up to CR, we had exactly 10 minutes until the SoG bus left the TTC - military buses remember? They leave exactly on time, every time.

We ran off the bus... Up the escalators - several flights... One of which was weaving through crowds, because the escalators aren't one on top of the other. Literally running! When we got to the monorail floor - we had 2 minutes to wait for the monorail... We waited....

The monorail stops at each station for 2.5 minutes...

When we arrived at the TTC - we had 3 minutes before the bus left.

So we ran off of the station.

As we were running to the bus stop, we saw a SoG bus go by on the road in front of the TTC/Poly... Bummed out that we gave it our best effort... We high 5'd and started to walk.

As we rounded the corner - we saw the SoG bus still sitting there... So we ran!

Breathing heavy - we showed the driver our IDs (SoG buses are a 100% ID check... No military ID + resort ID = no ride) - sat down and laughed at ourselves for conquering the transportation system.

On the way to SoG - we told our bus driver our tale of what we had just been through to make his bus... And he laughed at us... It was at this time - he told us, the SoG bus we saw was the DTD bus that we would have been on, had we made the boat originally. :thumbsup2 Our driver congratulated these MN girls on our savvy transportation navigation skills. ::yes::

So... Our transportation lesson learned here was this: From here forward - when returning to SoG, we didn't ever use the Poly as our "hub" - we used the Contemporary Resort... Hopped the monorail... And then took the SoG bus at the TTC. This meant very little walking for us - and since the SoG bus leaves the TTC every 20 min - we never had to wait more than 20 min for the next bus. ::yes:: The SoG bus drops at the lower level of SoG - so due to our room location, we had to go up one flight of stairs, through the lobby, down the hallway/ramp, through the breezeway and 6 rooms down. Easy peasy. :thumbsup2

Back in our room and our sandwiches in the fridge.... I went down to the Attraction Ticket office, booked our shuttle to Universal on Friday, and also purchased our tickets.

When I got back to the room - I ate my sandwich from EoS, even though I wasn't hungry.

Allison and I did a quick load of laundry, and in between I updated my trip journal.

After - we relaxed in our room, and prepped our clothes/bags for our full MK day tomorrow.

I was in bed by 9pm.

I noted in my journal that I was up at 1am because of bad indigestion... As a side note - I used to suffer from terrible indigestion several times a day, but since I changed my eating habits 4 years ago - I have not had issues with indigestion at all, unless I am in Disney. There is a definite correlation between the food you eat and the way your body reacts to it.

Link to Day 4 Part 1

D~​

Last edited:
Again - my apologies for no updates yesterday - Photobucket was down all day... So, if you were reading my TR and the photos didn't show up for you - that would be why.

OH my, you are an updating machine! I mean that in a good way! I love the pictures from the boat of the old River Country. I think it's interesting too. I remember that place even though I was young. I love the picture you took with Allison on the Mickey ears at CR, pure magic. Wilderness Lodge is really neat. We've had breakfast there once and have enjoyed looking around too. I really like the spring in the lobby that heads out to the pool. The GF is beautiful. A wedding there would be amazing. Allison is a lucky girl!

Thanks! I am glad we were able to do this - a little disappointed that we couldn't see much - but it was still cool.

Thanks - that is one of my favorite pictures from the whole trip... I only wish that it had both of my girls in it. Maybe some day? :scratchin

I thought that part was really cool too....

Hehehehe... I doubt Allison will ever get married there... :scratchin In Diagon Alley - maybe? But Victoria - OTOH - she is a definite Disney lover like I am - so she'd probably love to get married there.

Wowza when you update you really update!

Glad Allison's finger was Ok. i am appalled none of the CM's would help you. and I am shocked you didn't stop at Guest Services and say something!!! I really think the DCP is taking over and (SOME of) the kids just don't care about the Disney Difference. Which just make Disney not the BEST.
anyway

I cannot believe you don't have a picture of Charlie and Tess.. I adore those two!!!

You really have some GREAT Pictures. I hope i would be invited to Allison's wedding.

I know - I was so shocked and disappointed... I agree, most of the CMs we asked were young and a couple of them didn't seem to understand what I was asking (like I had 2 heads....)

We didn't even think of it... We sat there for a good hour - probably longer, and it just never crossed our minds - we were just enjoying each other's company. I didn't think of it until we were on the monorail back - and then I said, well - we'll get it on Saturday - unfortunately, we never met on Saturday - as they went home early to beat the blizzard.

Of course you'd be invited! :lovestruc

Allison's pinky injury sounds so painful. Hand and finger injuries always seem to hurt so much. I'm glad she could keep going. I know what you mean about the cold Florida cold is just different. Two of the people I work with were there at the same time as you and mentioned how cold it was. They both came back with awful colds.
You room at SOG looks really nice. The bathroom does sound in convenient.
My daughter started planning our September vacation. At the moment, my niece, her husband and 4 year old son may be going the same time, They'll be staying at CBR and we'll be at AOA in the cars section again. I have to mention the Wave to her. The food looks really good.
Hopefully photobucket starts working again.
Have a good day.
Liz

It was very painful for her... Poor kid.

Yes - it was very cold... And yes - I have a terrible cold right now... I just assumed I caught something nasty on the plane - but I am sure, since I was freezing all last week - that might not have helped matters any?

Yay!!! This sounds so awesome!!!! You must try the Wave if you can fit it into your schedule... I am certain we will be doing it twice on V's trip - and depending on our flight departure, we might do it 3 times? :scratchin LOL

It was working this morning when I got up - so I am hoping to do a couple of updates this morning.

Thanks - you too Liz! :D

Oh, poor Allison. That had to have hurt terribly! I think she needs to say "Uncle! I give"!

I am checking in one last time before I go on my trip. Have a wonderful week.

I think so too... Thankfully - this month is almost over. Hopefully February will be better for her?

Enjoy your trip!!! I hope you have so much fun! Safe travels! :hug:

I feel the same way about the Contemporary. I look at concrete and steel buildings all day, I don't want them on vacation. Plus, the mountain lodge concept is extremely appealing to both DH and me. He loves log cabins and I love the lodge look. And we both love the woods and being able to walk to Fort Wilderness.

Hehehehe... I totally get it - trust me. I do love it - it's just not at the top of my favorites list... Disney did it up beautifully - and to me, it's just right up there with AKL, but it's a totally different beauty - as all of their Deluxe Resorts are. I completely understand why you love it so much!

You will have to think about a car rental for your next trip. Rental + $10/day at SOG probably won't be too much than town car. You would get free parking at parks with AP. Our first family trip we rented a car but the kids were 4, 3, & 1 so it was a pain flying with car seats and the parking lot trams were a pain with the strollers. We didn't try renting again until a few years ago when we started doing off site activities. Now I love having a car. It is so easy to get around. Last trip I had my GPS but I didn't use it too much as the road signs pretty much get you everywhere. I usded GPS to find PO to mail my dirty laundry home.:

FL cold is different. It is more humid. I find it more bone chilling than the same dryer temp at home.

I will think about it... I dunno - it still scares me a little bit. It would make life much easier to have a car - especially now that V really wants to do Universal... We'll see?

Yes - FL cold went right to my bones... I was sooooo cold all the time!

I am loving all your updates except for some reason I can't see any of your photos probably something I have screwed up on my PC I am not the best with computers, LOL.

You need to go on youtube and watch the River Country videos, I think someone else mentioned them. Some guy got banned from Disney for sneaking in. I can't get Ronnie to try and walk close enough to peek in with me :dance3:. Did you notice the shoes hanging from the trees on the boat ride from WL to MK? There is some story behind that, something to do with the CM's maybe?? Whispering Canyon Café is a lot of FUN, you need to add that to your must do list .

I really enjoyed our resort day visiting the Teddy Bear Lady and planning Allison's wedding party:. That chapel is so beautiful and with the view of the castle would make such lovely wedding photos.....this is on my Disney bucket list (to attend a wedding at Disney) Hint, Hint Allison. Just kidding her college goals should be her priority now, but when you need that Fairy GodMother I am available!

At D's (and Suzi's) recommendation we tried The Wave's breakfast and it was delicious, it is kind of nice not to deal with the characters and enjoy the meal.

I am glad you found some tricks for the SOG transportation, I enjoyed getting to see it when I dropped you girls off. It was so beautiful, the grounds and everything!

Monica

It wasn't you - Photobucket (where i host my photos) was down yesterday... So, I bet if you go back now, you'll be able to see all of them?

Yah - just the pictures creep me out - I am not sure I could do the video? LOL There's something about seeing pools half filled with brown water that doesn't sit well with me. ::yes::

I had so much fun spending part of this day with you! And eeeep... We need to compare our October dates - it's possible that we will overlap when V and I are there too. :scratchin That would be awesome!

I am so glad you enjoyed the Wave... We are definitely doing it twice on V's trip - and depending on our outbound flight time- I hope to do it the morning of our departure too. LOL

I am glad you liked it - it's a gorgeous resort - I've been doing lots of research on it since I've been home - since the resort was rarely photographed by Disney - there are only a handful of photos online, so it's difficult to see what it looked like back then... I did find a few personal photos out there though that I found fascinating. I also found an old map that shows how everything was before the big remodel - which has been helpful for me to visualize, as I wasn't able to wrap my mind around where everything was previously located.

Thanks for stopping by Monica - as usual - it's great to see you here!

Just now joining in (just finished reading the pre-trip report) and just wanted to say you have a gift for trip reporting I have so enjoyed reading your
reports so thank you for sharing Love, Love, Love this mother daughter trip - I have been blessed to have a few of these with my daughter. We also
did a mother/daughter trip last year for her high school graduation - so much fun!!! My husband is retired military so I have considered staying at Shades
of Green - my one question is did it seem "Disney" enough for you? If that makes sense. We enjoy being in the bubble I have also never tried to the Wave
but you have definitely convinced me to try it. Can't wait to hear more about this special trip!

Thank you - I am so glad you enjoyed reading... You read my *whole PTR* - WOW!!!! Major kudos to you!!!! That is awesome!

This trip -and the one I am taking with V in October, well - it was just awesome! That one on one time together was really relaxing and enjoyable!

Well, SoG is not Disney like in any way, shape, or form... So, if you want to stay there - and you really feel like you want more Disney in your trip - SoG probably isn't the place for you. That being said... To me - it is perfectly fine. Do I miss the hidden Mickey's in my bedspread - meh, not really... but I do enjoy seeing them there when I stay on a WDW property. However - it seems that Disney itself is pulling some of that sort of thing out of their resorts anyways. The CMs are fantastic - absolutely fantastic... To me - they seem much more relaxed and much more enjoyable to work with... They even have Disney CM shaped name tags with the SoG logo - so Disney, but not. The resort itself - it's beautiful, and now that I know which part is old and which part is new - I am even more impressed with the DoD's attention to detail - some of my favorite parts of the resort I thought were Disney, are actually new and from when the DoD did the huge expansion. Does it fell military in any way - no... But the people are more respectful, it seems and less likely to shove you out of their way to get places. LOL My suggestion to you... Take a long trip to Disney - and either on the front end or the back end of your trip (I haven't decided which would be best), stay a few nights at SoG - try it out. I would think that one night would be too little, same with 2 nights - but I think 3 nights would be a good number to give it a try? We really enjoyed their transportation system... We found the drop off/pick up locations to be better than Disney - and we loved that there was a set time to pick up - so we knew ahead of time whether we had to hurry or not - rather than that endless waiting and being passed by with 4 other buses to the same park. IMO - the only thing that SoG lacks is a good eating establishment - in all fairness, we did NOT try any of them out on this last trip - only the Java Cafe... But we were totally able to use the Disney properties and resorts to eat - and we didn't feel like it was a burden at all, we just knew if we wanted food in our room - to either stop on the way back from the park, or grab something in the gift shop - which was VERY well stocked with food (Way better than any WDW resort - including DVC - that I've seen).

Phew! I hope I didn't overwhelm you... But for ~$100/night on average - you just cannot beat the location and room size.

Oh gosh. Youre scaring me away from January with all the cold talk. I really want to go for my birthday one year. So far the best plan i have is 2023. I told my husband we will need annual passes. Jan 2023 ill turn 40, then june my daughter will turn 16, july will be my 20th wedding anniversary, nov my son will turn 18, and dec my husband will turn 49. I said it would be a celebration of the last of his 40s and a chance to do new years at disney. But i dont do cold and if i went in jan and it was as cold as you say i would not want to go back at the end of dec. guess ill have to work on winterizing myself. Im kinda glad its 7 years away. Its going to be a tough year to plan for!

Well - bring warmer clothes than you think you will need. There were many days I wore a tank top/long sleeved tee shirt/sweatshirt/jean jacket and I still froze... Not to mention - I was felt like the kids from A Christmas Story, because I was so bulky with all the stuff I had on. LOL

You will do fine and it sounds like the perfect year for an AP! ::yes::

*************************************************************************************

I hope for an update or two yet this morning... We'll see if Photobucket cooperates with me or not? :thumbsup2

D~

Yes - we did it.... Party of 2, in the corner... Lights and sirens going off - we felt like such piggies... Everyone was staring and gawking at us, but who cares right? We wanted to try it, and darn it - we were going to. LOL Go big, or go home folks!
:thumbsup2 You only live once right? :rotfl:

We picked all of the cherries off - neither of us like them
Were you not able to tell them to just leave them off?

o the point - I really started to feel ill...
:rotfl: I can see that. Especially if you have been careful to restrict your diet more regularly at home. When I have done something like that its almost as if I can hear my body actually screaming at me "OMG! WHAT DID YOU JUST DO TO ME?!?!?!?!" :rotfl:

One last photo with the final results....

20160118_151744.jpg
Hey not bad!!!

We assumed we started a trend. ::yes::
:thumbsup2

Oooo! Lovely!

When we pulled up to CR, we had exactly 10 minutes until the SoG bus left the TTC - military buses remember? They leave exactly on time, every time.
THat really must make planning on the fly easier. Instead of the roulette wheel that Disney Transport can be.

When we arrived at the TTC - we had 3 minutes before the bus left.
:eek: Wow that's cutting it close!

(SoG buses are a 100% ID check... No military ID + resort ID = no ride)
Wow, thorough. Though I guess I can see why.

It was at this time - he told us, the SoG bus we saw was the DTD bus that we would have been on, had we made the boat originally. :thumbsup2 Our driver congratulated these MN girls on our savvy transportation navigation skills. ::yes::
giphy.gif
Well done!

From here forward - when returning to SoG, we didn't ever use the Poly as our "hub" - we used the Contemporary Resort... Hopped the monorail... And then took the SoG bus at the TTC. This meant very little walking for us - and since the SoG bus leaves the TTC every 20 min - we never had to wait more than 20 min for the next bus.
That is brilliant! It is a lot easier to plan when you know the bus departure times. It would be nice to have the Disney buses run on schedule.

Allison and I wandered around for a while - snapping pictures and investigating. I wanted to show her the pool, because I knew she would love the slide - since it is roller coaster themed, but we never did find it. We found lot of other beautiful and wonderful things though...
The Boardwalk has an annoying layout. We stayed there once and it was really hard to find our way around.

From Boardwalk, we walked to Beach Club... I just love the Boardwalk - some day, if I ever decide to stay in a Disney resort again - I'd really like to make this one happen - it's a theme that I really enjoy.
We love the Epcot resort area and tend to stay at the Beach Club or Yacht Club rather than the Boardwalk, but any of the three resorts are great options. It is just so nice to be able to walk to Epcot or DHS. Less buses equals more enjoyment for us. ;)

That dessert is huge! It's funny that you influenced so many tables to order the same thing. :)

A brief history of Shade of Green Resort

OK - because I am a total dork and completely fascinated with the history of SoG... I have spent a good portion of time, since returning home, trying to wrap my mind around what SoG used to look like when it was Disney's Golf Resort and The Disney Inn Hotel - because this resort was not advertised like The Poly and Contemporary Resorts, the known photos of it are rare... I"ll post a few of my favorite links though, because there are a few good ones out there.

First though - Here's a little something I've been working on - I've been trying to figure out what was original to the resort when Disney had it, and what's been added since it's been owned by the DoD... So, I did a little Photoshopping, and here's what I discovered.

Shades%20of%20Green%20expansion%20watermarked%202.jpg

Then here's a couple of my favorite links... The first set of photos are from here on The Dis - a user posted them from his honeymoon staying at what was then The Disney Inn... These are the only room photos from that era that I know of online, as far as I know - there are none of the rooms as The Golf Resort. The Disney Inn room photos

And there are some great ones on Allears here: http://allears.net/acc/g_sog.htm Especially if you scroll down and look at the pictures under "All Photos Below Taken before the Major 2002-2004 Renovation" - because even though the resort had been owned by the DoD for almost a decade - it had gone relatively unchanged up until this point.

A basic Google Image search of "The Disney Inn Resort" and "Disney Golf Resort" will bring up a bunch of older photos too... They are kind of fun to look at. But now that I know where things were once located - it's easier to visualize. ::yes::

I hope you enjoyed. :)

D~

Last edited:
The Boardwalk is a great resort! We've never stayed there though because our hearts are at the BC. :love: We love Beaches and Cream and eat there almost every trip. We've never tried the Kitchen Sink; our go-to is the No Way Jose.

Good job at figuring out Disney transportation! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter