Services that people rave about, turn out to be the pits

I am game. Friends had told me how great StitchFix was so I decided to give it a whirl. I went through Pinterest pinning outfits I particularly liked thinking they would refer to them for their selections. My first two boxes were total misses! I then requested a different stylist and tried to make it clear to refer to my pinned selections. Two boxes later I only had one item I sort of liked. I stopped the service and wasting $20 a month. I will say I now miss not receiving the "box" and they sent me something to not have to pay the fee for one box so I might give it one more try :)
Totally agree! My first couple of boxes were misses, but I felt pressure to buy something since I had already paid the $20 styling fee so that it would seem "worth it." Then I got a box that I LOVED - I bought, I think, 3 of the 5 pieces because buying the whole box would have been too much, but I was close to buying them all. I raved about my stuff in the feedback section and begged to have the same stylist forever and ever...then my next box was suddenly from a different stylist and everything was terrible. I was so angry that I had wasted the $20 fee or whatever it was that I canceled then and there. I thought the clothes weren't really super great quality and were crazy over-priced, too. Also, reading this was a total head-scratcher: http://www.adweek.com/creativity/wh...ix-show-2495-price-tag-nordstrom-rack-159245/
I've thought about StitchFix, but instead, I recently booked an appointment with a personal shopper at Nordstrom. The (2-hour) appointment was free, and I loved the instant feedback. When we found something that I looked good in, she brought me three more similar options. It was easy to try different sizes, different colors, etc. Plus, she was able to give constructive criticism, like, "you look great in close-fitting clothes," and tactful suggestions like, "Spanx are a great product -- would you like to try their bodysuit under that dress?" I left a list of things that I liked, but couldn't justify the price on, and she'll let me know if they get marked down. I did spend quite a bit, but now I have a work wardrobe of quality pieces that I feel confident wearing.
This is an awesome idea! I didn't know they did that. thank you!!

TARGET -- order online, pickup in store -- HORRIBLE

Twas the week before Black Friday and all through our house, our guest towels were ratty, not fit for a mouse.

Wifey said new towels are needed today, I went on the internet and towels there were aplenty, but the ratings were - MEH.

I dashed over to Target Web site, dot.com they had a big sale. They even had some towels that were rated not to fail.

I quickly punched in my credit card dear, and dashed off to Target, which was not very near and the roads were icy and I was full of fear.

An hour of driving on a dark stormy night, I pull up to Target and dash into the light. The pick-up counter never heard of me and the lady who served was not nice and told me to go back outside in the ice.

I refused her order and refused to leave. Target elves flitted around and about 30 minutes later they determined my order was pulled.

The came out of a backroom, dragging towels on the ground, I protested and they shoved them in bags.

MORAL: Would have been quicker and easier to go to the store and pull them myself -- and they would not have been dragged across the floor.

TARGET -- order online, pickup in store -- HORRIBLE

Twas the week before Black Friday and all through our house, our guest towels were ratty, not fit for a mouse.

Wifey said new towels are needed today, I went on the internet and towels there were aplenty, but the ratings were - MEH.

I dashed over to Target Web site, dot.com they had a big sale. They even had some towels that were rated not to fail.

I quickly punched in my credit card dear, and dashed off to Target, which was not very near and the roads were icy and I was full of fear.

An hour of driving on a dark stormy night, I pull up to Target and dash into the light. The pick-up counter never heard of me and the lady who served was not nice and told me to go back outside in the ice.

I refused her order and refused to leave. Target elves flitted around and about 30 minutes later they determined my order was pulled.

The came out of a backroom, dragging towels on the ground, I protested and they shoved them in bags.

MORAL: Would have been quicker and easier to go to the store and pull them myself -- and they would not have been dragged across the floor.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have never had an issue ordering online and picking up in store. I do it often when I know what I need and won't be using coupons, because then I at least get eBates credit.

OMG, I completely forgot about the USPS part. Apparently they're contracted here to run some Sunday deliveries for Amazon. They usually either do one of two things if we're unlucky enough to have something fall on a Sunday:

1) Mark the package as "business closed". Very funny, we're not a business.

2) Mark the package as delivered on Sunday, only it's not here, so we frantically go around trying to find it ... but they don't actually deliver it till Monday. (They do that stuff with other packages all the time at Christmas, I assume by marking undelivered stuff as delivered they're faking numbers for some sort of quota per day.)

We've also caught FedEx drivers trying to leave a note on the door pretending we weren't home when they didn't want to carry something heavy up one flight of stairs. (We were home.) This has happened repeatedly.

The only reliable service here is UPS.

UPS and FedEx have been very reliable. I have seen the USPS truck gun the engine on our dead end 25 mph street zooming on after leaving the "can't deliver because nobody was home postcard." Ummm - there were two cars in the driveway and not everyone HAS a car in real life.

Dollar Shave Club. I was so excited at the concept of cheap razors, but that's exactly what they are- cheap. I tried the lower level and the middle level and wasn't happy with either. I'll just stick to Venus.

Try Harry's razors. They used to be online only, but now they sell at Target. We LOVE them. The blades last forever and feel really high quality. H used to go through a Gillette blade every few days, now he lasts weeks with a Harry's blade. I use them, too.

My last being Hello Fresh food service. I started my subscription via a Groupon. I had been curious about the service for some time, but couldn't justify the cost for the family box. At the time, it was approx $130 for 3 meals of 4 servings, I equated it to be about $40 per dinner, $10 per serving. The Groupon was approx half the cost for 2 boxes. I had problems with 4 of the 6 boxes. I spaced my boxes out, pausing the service to only get delivered 1 box every 2 or 3 weeks, so I had it going over a few months. I had several problems with delivery, once being delivered to the correct house #, but one street over, several times the boxes being either crushed, wet or leaking. I was able to reject one order where I watched the UPS driver drop the box down the stairs of his truck and it rolled out into the road. By the time he made it to the door, I was waiting and told him to take it back. I had several problems with broken meat packages, dripping all over the other items and would have to throw away the produce. I'd take pictures, send emails, phone calls. At first they gave me a credit for half the cost of my next box, over time it dwindled down to 20% off, then just no reply at all.

We have tried Hello Fresh 3 times and finally said no more. The first time the 3rd delivery we got rotten chicken. I called to cancel and the woman treated me like I was stealing from themy because according to them they never have this problem.

2nd time we got a coupon and tried again. The portions were way too small even with a 10 and 12 year old.

3rd time they started new boxes with larger portions. First one was okay, 2nd not bad but the veggies were wilted. The 3rd the veggies were half rotten. I called again and again they treated me like I was lying. The guy this time says that he has NEVER heard of anyone getting bad quality food. I said that sounds just like the 1st CSR about how they never give bad food and they have NO idea how could this have happened. The guy says our CSRs would never tread people like that nd I said YOU JUST DID IT AGAIN! You said no one EVER gets bad food. Then he goes on to say how they just hired a new food quality manager to make sure no one has issues like this.

Wait a minute. No one ever has problems so why did you just hire a FOOD QUALITY MANAGER!

So we have sworn never again.

Stacy

FWIW, I was in Wal Mart last Friday (yeah, I had to go in.) An angry lady walked past me loudly talking on her cell phone. Apparently, she had placed a Wal Mart pickup order, was notified it was ready, called to let them know she was coming, and when she got to Wal Mart the pick up employee didn't know anything about her order and had no record of it! She angrily said she would never do this again.

I'm not impressed with Netflix. The UK version has a very poor selection- I've been toying with cancelling my subscription for a while. Spotify I love- I have the premium service so can listen to music offline which is wonderful whilst on buses or for making long walks seem shorter. Well worth the £10 per month.

I'm not impressed with Netflix. The UK version has a very poor selection- I've been toying with cancelling my subscription for a while. Spotify I love- I have the premium service so can listen to music offline which is wonderful whilst on buses or for making long walks seem shorter. Well worth the £10 per month.

I used to like Netflix, but lately they seem to be moving to a model of just having their own content. I don't like the vast majority of the shows they make. I likd it better when it had seasons of TV shows and lots of movies.

I used to like Netflix, but lately they seem to be moving to a model of just having their own content. I don't like the vast majority of the shows they make. I likd it better when it had seasons of TV shows and lots of movies.

Netflix in the US just made a big deal with Disney and most Disney content will be available on Netflix (a lot already is available). And I have really loved a lot of their original content, especially Marco Polo (sadly canceled) and The Crown. And they have tons of other great content that DH and I like as well. We don't have cable or anything. We just use Hulu and Netflix for entertainment, but we find plenty to watch from those.

Netflix in the US just made a big deal with Disney and most Disney content will be available on Netflix (a lot already is available). And I have really loved a lot of their original content, especially Marco Polo (sadly canceled) and The Crown. And they have tons of other great content that DH and I like as well. We don't have cable or anything. We just use Hulu and Netflix for entertainment, but we find plenty to watch from those.

Glad it works for you, but I've been disappointed. That's the point of the thread- services other people rave about that we don't like.
Disney content doesn't really help me. I have most of those movies.

Sherri's Berries-expensive and nasty quality.

Walmart curbside pickup-you spend just as long finding what you need on their website as you would getting it yourself inside the store. We sat for over an hour filling a shopping cart to pick up an order for our condo at Disney, only to find the nearest participating store was over 20 miles from Disney World. Never again.

FWIW, I was in Wal Mart last Friday (yeah, I had to go in.) An angry lady walked past me loudly talking on her cell phone. Apparently, she had placed a Wal Mart pickup order, was notified it was ready, called to let them know she was coming, and when she got to Wal Mart the pick up employee didn't know anything about her order and had no record of it! She angrily said she would never do this again.
I am not impressed with the pick up option at Walmart. I have done it a few times and each time it takes forever to get help at the pick up desk. Then it takes them forever to find my order.
Target is not any better. I ordered a product that was sold on the Target web site but not in the store. I had it shipped to the store and they only give you 2 days to pick up the item. Then send you a email telling you it has arrived and is ready for pick up. In that email you are also given the option to delay coming in to pick the item up. Good so I went through the steps it took to delay the pick up to a Sat. date. Got a confirmation email that the change was made to the pick up date. I go on Sat to get my item and low and behold they sent it back because I did not pick it up by the original pick up date.

Glad it works for you, but I've been disappointed. That's the point of the thread- services other people rave about that we don't like.
Disney content doesn't really help me. I have most of those movies.

Same, if I want to watch a Disney movie I'll just go grab a dvd from downstairs and put it on, big deal.

I have used the Giant Eagle Curbside pick up service a few times and was very pleased. I chose my timeframe for pickup. Called when I pulled into the spot and within a few minutes they were out the door with my items. I was able to use e-coupons as well as paper clipped coupons. Only on one occasion did I have something missing and fortunately it wasn't anything critical. Every other time my orders were correct and one time they were out of something and they brought me out two different options to substitute so I could pick which one I wanted.

I don't mind grocery shopping so I don't use it a ton but don't hesitate when I need to save some time.

Target in store pick up is awful.

I love Ipsy and Birchbox but I use most everything. I love trying new products but hate paying $30+ for something I may or may not like. I also get a few full size products every month.

I must have the one Target where in-store pick up works well, LOL ... it also works well at my local Best Buy. (at least it has for me -- and I use the service fairly regularly)

I appreciate Kroger clicklist, but it's taken me some time to get used to the quirks that seem to effect my store. I'd rate it a solid B+ ;)
  • I have never, not once, had an order where everything on my list was in stock. My store is great about substitutions, and I've never not come out ahead with what they offer. Only once did they sub something I asked for no substitution, and it wasn't a big deal.

• it doesn't take too long at my store ... but it's not a quick pull in & get out process, either.

• I love, love, love not having to schlep cases of water, soda, beer, etc. in & out of the cart, van, etc. It's my favorite part.

• our store recently added same day pickup, which is a game changer for me.

Has anyone tried Nature box? I've tried some of their snacks from Target, but was interested in peoples thoughts on the subscription service.

Totally agree! My first couple of boxes were misses, but I felt pressure to buy something since I had already paid the $20 styling fee so that it would seem "worth it." Then I got a box that I LOVED - I bought, I think, 3 of the 5 pieces because buying the whole box would have been too much, but I was close to buying them all. I raved about my stuff in the feedback section and begged to have the same stylist forever and ever...then my next box was suddenly from a different stylist and everything was terrible. I was so angry that I had wasted the $20 fee or whatever it was that I canceled then and there. I thought the clothes weren't really super great quality and were crazy over-priced, too. Also, reading this was a total head-scratcher: http://www.adweek.com/creativity/wh...ix-show-2495-price-tag-nordstrom-rack-159245/

Can I ask what kind of prices the pieces from Stitchfix are? I'd love to try it out, but don't want a box with $70 shirts and $100 jeans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter