• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Service Monkey at Epcot

We just got back and I was surprised at the number of "service" dogs. Coming from Canada dogs have to be trained by a professional...I just assume there are papers. But we saw a young golden retriever that was pulling its owner and wanted to go in the water at DS. Also saw a lady pushing a chihuahua in a baby stroller. But we did see many well behaved service dogs...I have no problem with them It is the others

if service dogs are trained by there owner...there should be some sort of test that they have to pass to be classed as "service dog"

We just got back and I was surprised at the number of "service" dogs. Coming from Canada dogs have to be trained by a professional...I just assume there are papers. But we saw a young golden retriever that was pulling its owner and wanted to go in the water at DS. Also saw a lady pushing a chihuahua in a baby stroller. But we did see many well behaved service dogs...I have no problem with them It is the others

if service dogs are trained by there owner...there should be some sort of test that they have to pass to be classed as "service dog"

We were staying at WL last September and ran into 2 Golden Retrievers and Yellow Lab who were being trained by a Women's Correctional facility in FL. The people who were extending the dogs' training into crowds were outside volunteers for the non-profit group. Some great opportunities for the ladies in the correction facility to learn new skills and help disabled people.

Regarding the Chihahua in the stroller........I can't imagine what a dog in a stroller can do as service Animal other than a seizure or diabetic alert dog (personally, I doubt this dog was a SA). Maybe, the Golden was a puppy being raised to be as a Service Animal. They are treated just the same as a fully trained SA. Keep in mind, If the Service Animal becomes disruptive a business can ask a person to leave. I am sure there are plenty of people who bring their pet to the park. It is wrong. Just like a person asking for a DAS who doesn't need one.

From what I've heard, this woman basically blew by cast members with the monkey in the stroller as if it was a child. Monkeys are also not classified as service animals, and are illegal in the state of Florida (excepting those with very hard to get permit).

She had the perfect storm of new CM's starting this past week, a very busy weekend at Epcot, and (probably) a knowledge of how to act to get the monkey into places where it shouldn't be
Absolutely untrue.

Every point in fact.

Absolutely untrue.

Every point in fact.

What is absolutely untrue?
1. From what I've heard, this woman basically blew by cast members with the monkey in the stroller as if it was a child. This was an account from someone working there. Maybe I was misinformed, but I clearly stated that it was second-hand information
2. Monkeys are also not classified as service animals, They aren't
3. and are illegal in the state of Florida (excepting those with very hard to get permit). They are

4. She had the perfect storm of new CM's starting this past week, The new CP session had just started
5. a very busy weekend at Epcot, I was there that day. I know how busy it was, to the point that they weren't scanning fingers for entry
6. and (probably) a knowledge of how to act to get the monkey into places where it shouldn't be I stated this is speculation

I'm glad this was handled in an appropriate manner with her removal from the park. In the end, that's what matters

What is absolutely untrue?
1. From what I've heard, this woman basically blew by cast members with the monkey in the stroller as if it was a child. This was an account from someone working there. Maybe I was misinformed, but I clearly stated that it was second-hand information
2. Monkeys are also not classified as service animals, They aren't
3. and are illegal in the state of Florida (excepting those with very hard to get permit). They are

4. She had the perfect storm of new CM's starting this past week, The new CP session had just started
5. a very busy weekend at Epcot, I was there that day. I know how busy it was, to the point that they weren't scanning fingers for entry
6. and (probably) a knowledge of how to act to get the monkey into places where it shouldn't be I stated this is speculation

I'm glad this was handled in an appropriate manner with her removal from the park. In the end, that's what matters
I'll amend my response.

You were MOSTLY incorrect.

It was pretty busy, since it was the first weekend of the Art Festival. And monkeys aren't allowed at DISNEY because of Animal Kingdom.

I'll amend my response.

It was pretty busy, since it was the first weekend of the Art Festival. And monkeys aren't allowed at DISNEY because of Animal Kingdom.

It has nothing to do with Animal Kingdom. A permit holding legal monkey isn't allowed to be just packed around in the general public in Florida. If you own a private use monkey the permit only allows you to have it at your home.

Last edited:
I'll amend my response.

Again, nothing I stated was incorrect. If anything, 4 of the 6 points are absolutely true which means it cannot be mostly incorrect. The other two were speculation or second-hand.
Monkeys are not legally recognized as service animals. They are not legal to keep as pets without special permits. Those permits do not allow carrying them around and passing them off as service animals.
The park was very busy that day with not only the start of the festival, but also the holiday weekend. they had implemented procedures to move the crowds more efficiently because of the traffic that day.

It has nothing to do with Animal Kingdom. A permit holding legal monkey isn't allowed to be just packed around in the general public in Florida. If you own a private use monkey the permit only allows you to have it at your home.
Exactly. This woman didn't just violate Disney policy, she broke the law and endangered the public.

Not that it applies in this case, since the monkey was not allowed in the park anyway, much like the DAS pass, something will eventually need to be done about the certificate mills that are out there now. I haven't a clue what it is but having untrained animals out there acting as training animals will cause problems. Sadly, it's going to take a very serious incident before something is done. But it will happen.

Handicap stickers are a government provided and regulated item. Service animals are trained by private organizations and individuals. It would be really difficult and possibly quiet burdensome to regulate it from that aspect as well. I know service dogs can be an expensive acquisition, and depending on what kind of service animal you need, there is already more demand than available supply. Adding more regulations could just make them less accessible for the people who really need them and reduce the number of organizations/people willing to provide them.
I still think there is a way to take the handicap tag procedures and apply them to service animals. I haven't a clue what it is but if it works for car hang tags it can work for animals. I realize the extra step is a bit of a PITA but the current situation can't be left alone. It is getting out of hand and something bad will happen having untrained animals in public, especially as the numbers continue to climb

JMHO: Seems unsafe not to have standards and require certification that can be produced if requested by a business. This strikes me as one of the places where the ADA and associated regulations have run amok.

I am NOT a fan of the immense amounts of red tape out there! This seems like a place where it might be warranted. Again, JMHO. :)
Yep, I'm glad I'm not the one that has to figure it out but someone is going to need to address it. It could be added as just another step in their training. Eventually, it would be a normal step

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter