• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Served with Flair, My Culinary Cabaret (Solo May 2016 DR), updated 11/12, Earl of Sandwich

Even though you didn't sample as much as planned at F&G ... it's always good when everything is a hit!
We've been during F&W twice. We don't really do the booths (we really just go because that's been a good time of year for us in the past), but the weather is generally a little better than May (although we have had some hot days, but not brutal). I think the crowds at F&W are a little busier, so if you're planning a trip then, just be aware of that.

That pizza ... looks and sounds amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed!

She uses veggies from the garden or morels picked from the mountains in Oregon (where my family lives) so they are pretty amazing.

Sounds delicious!

Looks fabulous! Plus, I'm starving at the moment, so very suggestible!

It was so worth it! Wish I could have more right now.

I will say I don't think you would've gone wrong with Marrakesh, we've had 2 great meals there and are looking forward to a 3rd in Nov. :)

Probably not, but since I live in Israel and my family is of Middle Eastern descent, it would have been food I was already partly familiar with.
And though pizza is standard fare most places, it was the toppings on that particular pizza that caught my eye.
Glad you had great experiences at Marrakesh.

I think the crowds at F&W are a little busier, so if you're planning a trip then, just be aware of that.

I figured as much. But the nicer weather would make it worth it. I don't intend on ever visiting again during the brutal hot season.

And that folks sums up my experiences with the Flower and Garden outdoor kitchens. Pitiful, I know. Wish I would have tried more, but at least what I did eat I enjoyed, so that's a consolation.

I would love for my next time to be during Food and Wine. Good thing that event is held in autumn. Although to be fair, F&G did start in March. I just wasn’t available then.
Not pitiful at all, at least ya gave it a whirl :-) We always have big plans too and then stomach size always wins out. Looks like you had a few winners though. Somehow we missed that chicken which looks amazing.

The original plan was Marrakesh but after reading Kari's (@kastoney ) glowing report I had to change that plan in favor of Via Napoli. Best decision ever!
Had to take a deep breath for a minute cause I'm always worried someone won't like something I loved. But then I saw best decision ever and all was right with the world.

A few minutes later I was seated by a window overlooking this view:
img_5087-800x600-jpg.176103
What a nice view. I had no idea they even had windows in there!!!! We seem to sit by the ovens every time.

Take a look at this beauty:

img_5088-800x600-jpg.176104

O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I don’t think there are words to describe how utterly DELICIOUS and FANTASTIC this is (next time I'm asking for extra artichoke though)!
Oh I'm so happy you loved it as much as we do. It's my favorite pizza of all time and I love the thought of extra artichokes. Gonna have to steal that one. In fact we haven't booked anything for our trip in August (shocking I know but waiting to do FP to see what lunches we want to work in). I was contemplating skipping Via this time to try some new things, but after seeing this again there is no way I can let that happen.

And artichokes are one of my favorite foods ever

That's exactly what sold me to go there. Love artichokes so much

Had to take a deep breath for a minute cause I'm always worried someone won't like something I loved. But then I saw best decision ever and all was right with the world.

You'll see your name appear again later on. I'll spare you the worry now though and let you know that I enjoyed it

Universal Studios

Today we head to Universal. I admit that I only went there because of Wizarding World, but I found that I loved all the other areas too and had such a great time.

First up: Frozen Butterbeer
Because how can you go to WWoHP without trying the butterbeer????

IMG_5137 (600x800).jpg

Wasn’t sure what to expect. Took a sip and was in heaven! Tasted just like liquified butterscotch candy! Mmmmmmmmmm! And having it frozen was especially refreshing.

After exploring Diagon Alley, taking the Hogwart’s Express to Hogsmeade, defeating some dragons, and trying to escape dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, I was hungry for some lunch.

Perusing the park map for inspiration, I noticed that Shepherd’s Pie is served at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade and that got me in the mood so I headed back over there.

A menu was handed to me at the entrance. When I went in I encountered what looked like a massive line. In fact some people behind me walked right back out. But I really wanted that pie so I was hoping it wouldn’t take too long. It was actually pretty fast moving. First you are directed to one of the cashiers and then you proceed to the corresponding number station where you receive your food and then to another line where you are directed to a table. Very efficient. And there’s a lot more room in that place than you would initially think looking at it from the outside. To accompany my meal I also ordered pumpkin juice.

IMG_5211 (800x600).jpg

The meal was pretty standard. Ground meat mixed with some veggies topped with mashed potatoes served piping hot with some basic salad alongside it. I liked it ok and found it flavorful enough. What’s important was that it left me satisfied and ready to continue my day. Also portion size was just right. And that pumpkin juice was just wonderful and not too sweet if I remember correctly (then again I do have a sweet tooth). Basically if you like pumpkin pie you’ll enjoy this.

After cruising through Islands of Adventure I headed back to Diagon Alley and had ice cream from Fortescue’s. Chose butterbeer which comes in soft serve. Photo courtesy of google:

butterbeer-ice-cream-harry-potter-diagon-alley[1] (800x513).jpg

I’m sorry to say that I was very disappointed. I was expecting a stronger butter candy flavor like the drink had, but to me it tasted mostly vanilla. Although the picture I found has a lot more of the brown swirl than mine did, so that might have had something to do with it. Should have gone with another frozen butterbeer instead. Or chosen another flavor ice cream as there were some interesting flavor choices.

And this concludes the Universal portion of the trip.

Stay tuned for dinner @ Hoop Dee Doo!

First you are directed to one of the cashiers and then you proceed to the corresponding number station where you receive your food and then to another line where you are directed to a table. Very efficient.
That sounds great! Disney needs to take note of this quick-service strategy to alleviate some of the madness that is Disney QS.

I’m sorry to say that I was very disappointed.
You're not the first to point out that this ice cream flavor is a fail. Most recommend sticking with the butterbeer drink and skipping the ice cream.

The Shepard's Pie looks good! When we went to Universal last summer I had a really good Shepard's Pie at Finnegan's restaurant in US (I think....could be IOA?)It was on the large side though so yours looks like none would go to waste :)
DS10 enjoyed the frozen butterbeer and I was sorry I didn't get to try the butterbeer ice cream, but I would have been looking for more butter flavoring, too.

I haven't been to Universal since 2000 and really want to check out the new Harry Potter areas. Looks like there are some interesting food and drink options to try!

Love love love your reviews! Someday I will make it to V&A...till then I will have to live vicariously through others. :rolleyes:

Finally reading this report! I love everything so far :D

Loved that your V&A servers were a husband-wife team. How fun!

OMG, this was absolutely amazing and so worth it!

That beef looked fabulous. I am really tempted to try and figure out a time to do this in the next few years.

When it's ready the server releases a sort of latch and the water sans tea leaves returns to the bottom. How cool is that?

Super interesting!

5) Price- 7 course is $185, 10 course is $235. And then you have all the optional extras.

Honestly, that's actually not bad. I think the 7 course would be perfectly fine and obviously a wonderful meal. Will keep this in mind for that someday trip :P

I ordered the Roast Beef Sandwich (without the horseradish sour cream because I do not like horseradish and I was afraid it would ruin the sandwich for me) with French Fries, a fountain beverage in a souvenir cup (isn’t it pretty?), and the Master’s Cupcake of course.

I love this sandwich so much! I tend to go for the strawberry cupcake, but the Master's cupcake also looks great :) Glad you enjoyed the lunch - I think it's one of the best QS places in the Magic Kingdom, but I know others have had less great experiences there.

Apple cobbler with vanilla sauce. This is fantastic! So so so so GOOD! YUM!

Yum yum yum! The whole menu here looks really good for a buffet, and it seems like the character interaction was also nice. I'm tempted by their breakfast as well, since I could meet Pooh without going into MK (though you miss out on Eeyore and Piglet), but the dinner menu looks really nice!

Jamaican-braised Beef with Pigeon Pea Rice and Micro Cilantro

Wow, this was amazing! The beef was soft and tender, perfect amount of gravy with a spicy kick, the rice and lentils were the perfect accompaniment. Absolutely delicious!

I wanted to try this, but we ate a lot of food booth stuff and we were too full to try it once we got around to that area of the park :P Glad it was a hit!

I was not expecting the individual pizza to be quite so big and those last few bites were not easy, but there was absolutely no way I was going to leave anything behind.

I also really enjoyed the thin, crispy, slightly charred crust.

This pizza has ruined all others for life.

OK, Via Napoli is going on my next short list. Probably not on my next couple of short trips, but I may try to convince Will to try it May 2017 :D

Loving the report, and I'm off to find your TR!

Thanks for sharing. I don't know too much about Universal or Harry Potter in general, but I'm sure we'll be visiting when Casey gets older. But it sounds like Disney wins on the food front :-)

I hope to have another update tomorrow. Till then some replies...

That sounds great! Disney needs to take note of this quick-service strategy to alleviate some of the madness that is Disney QS.

Excellent idea! I didn't do Disney QS for this exact reason

You're not the first to point out that this ice cream flavor is a fail. Most recommend sticking with the butterbeer drink and skipping the ice cream.

Glad to know (or not actually) that I'm not alone! Wish I would've known this before. But I mean really, how can the drink be so great and yet they can't seem to replicate it for the ice cream? How hard could it be?

The Shepard's Pie looks good! When we went to Universal last summer I had a really good Shepard's Pie at Finnegan's restaurant in US (I think....could be IOA?)It was on the large side though so yours looks like none would go to waste :)

I don't know if my shepherd's pie is comparable to the one you had, although I was very happy with my portion size.

Really enjoying your reviews.

Thanks and :welcome:! Glad you're enjoying

I haven't been to Universal since 2000 and really want to check out the new Harry Potter areas

Very worth checking out. They did a fantastic job with it. Actually I was very impressed with all of Universal's theming.

Love love love your reviews! Someday I will make it to V&A...till then I will have to live vicariously through others. :rolleyes:

Hello and :welcome:! Glad you're enjoying.

I think everyone should have a V&A's experience at least once!

Finally reading this report! I love everything so far :D

Hi there! :welcome:! Glad to have you here

I wanted to try this, but we ate a lot of food booth stuff and we were too full to try it once we got around to that area of the park :P Glad it was a hit!

And I on the other hand would have loved to try what you had over at the American pavilion. But I forgot all about it. I blame the heat!

there is no sharing of the frozen Butter Beer!

Sharing? Now why would anyone do a ridiculous thing like that?

I don't know too much about Universal or Harry Potter in general, but I'm sure we'll be visiting when Casey gets older. But it sounds like Disney wins on the food front :-)

There are great areas there for kids as well, although the experience is definitely better when you can do more rides.
And I wouldn't judge Universal's food offerings based on my meager experiences. I didn't want to overdo it considering I had Hoop Dee Doo planned for dinner

Very worth checking out. They did a fantastic job with it. Actually I was very impressed with all of Universal's theming.

From what I've heard, some imagineers left Disney and went over to Universal, so it would make sense that their theming there is very good. Hope to check it out again someday!

Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue

After a fun filled day at Universal it was time for an 8:30 dinner at Hoop Dee Doo. Just when I thought I had all my ADRs figured out I found out about this dinner show and I knew I had to fit it in somewhere. Good ol’ comfort food and a funny and entertaining show to go with it? Count me in. Not wanting to cut my Disney park days short I decided to tack it on to my Universal day.

Got to Fort Wilderness a little past 8, took an internal bus to my dinner location, and got in line to check in. After check in there is an option to have your photo taken:

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_HOOP_20160512_7684967933 (533x800).jpg

Now here’s where I want to address some misconceptions I had coming into this-

1) I thought that seating was first come first serve according to the category purchased. Actually the seating is predetermined and you are given your table number when you check in

2) I thought the show started at 8:30 when in reality that’s when the doors open.

Both the above points are good to keep in mind if you’re running a little late

3) For some reason I got it into my head that seating was communal style. I had seen some pictures and there were all big tables with groups of people. Also I didn’t read any solo dining experiences there so that is what I assumed. Wrong again.

Anyway I was seated at my table for one, second row, over on the left side. I had purchased category 2 tickets.

Also for some reason I did not take any photos at all except for the food :sad2:

As with the character meal review, I’ll go into the food first and then the show.

I was given the menu for the evening:

IMG_5331 (600x800).jpg

And placed my drink menu. Just some refreshing iced tea.

IMG_5330 (600x800).jpg

Wasn’t in the mood for any alcohol. I was already tired from a long, adventurous day and didn’t want to get light headed and have that ruin my enjoyment of the show.

First course- Salad

IMG_5328 (800x600).jpg

So another thing I’d like to point out is that every table gets the same buckets/pails of food whether you are solo or part of a group. And it is A LOT of food! Important to pace yourself and not be tempted to eat the whole pail that’s sitting right in front of you.

As you can see this is a standard salad. A very well coated one in dressing and cheese. I found it to be very refreshing. Ate two plates.

The main course is the fried chicken, pork ribs, beans, corn, and mashed potatoes. I don’t eat pork so requested it to be removed (I love ribs so this was hard to do). It didn’t occur to me to mention when I made the ADR that I don’t eat pork and to inquire about an alternative.

I had two pieces of fried chicken. First one I found to be kinda dry but the second one was just right.

Enjoyed the mashed potatoes and the warm corn- really what’s not to love?

I noticed what looked like pieces of meat in the beans and when I asked about that my suspicions were confirmed that it was pork. I was looking forward to the beans so I was very disappointed. This is when I was sorry I didn't mention the not eating pork thing earlier, but I don’t associate beans with pork and the menu did not indicate this. The server was nice enough to bring me a bowl of vegetarian beans instead and while I did appreciate it, I’m sorry to say that they were very bland, like straight out of a can. Even with some salt sprinkled on.

IMG_5333 (800x600).jpg

The real star of the meal though was the mini corn bread loaf with sweet churned butter. Oh Lordy! This was so very delectably delicious! It was absolutely my favorite part of the meal. I just kept on slicing and eating. I ate more than ¾ of the thing. Now it occurs to me that I should have asked if they had any extra to take back with me being that it was the final showing of the night. I wish I was eating some right now!

IMG_5329 (800x600).jpg

After all this food and with a lot of fanfare we were served dessert- Strawberry Shortcake!
IMG_5334 (800x600).jpg

The picture does not do it justice- this thing was massive! Ok now, I love strawberries, I love cream, and I love cake so I was determined to eat as much as I could even though I was already pretty full. And it was as delicious as it looks, but as determined as I was, I could only manage a few bites. I did make a decent dent in it for a solo (and rather stuffed) diner though and was consoled when I saw while walking out that many other tables found themselves in the same predicament.

Now on to the show:

The show part itself I believe started after the salad course. A lot of singing, a lot of jokes, some audience interaction. It was very entertaining and funny. I was laughing hard most of the time. Which is exactly why I wanted to book it in the first place. I really enjoyed myself.

Sometime during the beginning of the show, they came down to the audience and asked people where they were from. They also asked if anyone was celebrating. There was a song played for couples celebrating their honeymoon or anniversary to dance to.

There was one instance where one of the actresses started flirting with one of the audience members (the grandfather it seemed) at the front center table. His family was laughing uproariously with the rest of us.

There was also the part near the end where they pulled out some audience members and had them participate in one of the sketches.

And how can I forget the “cheering/shouting competition” between the two sides of the dining hall. That was fun as well.

All in all an entertaining and tasty experience that I think was worth the price and I am glad I was able to fit it in (even if it did mean that I had to cut Universal short for it).

Next up: 50’s Prime Time @ Hollywood Studios

I did not take any photos at all except for the food
At least you didn't forget the most important part...THE FOOD! ::yes::

I'm so sad we won't be making it to Hoop Dee Doo during our trip later this year.If we ever make it back (right now it's planned as a once-in-a-lifetime trip), it will definitely be on our list!

Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue

After a fun filled day at Universal it was time for an 8:30 dinner at Hoop Dee Doo. Just when I thought I had all my ADRs figured out I found out about this dinner show and I knew I had to fit it in somewhere. Good ol’ comfort food and a funny and entertaining show to go with it? Count me in. Not wanting to cut my Disney park days short I decided to tack it on to my Universal day.

Got to Fort Wilderness a little past 8, took an internal bus to my dinner location, and got in line to check in. After check in there is an option to have your photo taken:

View attachment 177695

Now here’s where I want to address some misconceptions I had coming into this-

1) I thought that seating was first come first serve according to the category purchased. Actually the seating is predetermined and you are given your table number when you check in

2) I thought the show started at 8:30 when in reality that’s when the doors open.

Both the above points are good to keep in mind if you’re running a little late

3) For some reason I got it into my head that seating was communal style. I had seen some pictures and there were all big tables with groups of people. Also I didn’t read any solo dining experiences there so that is what I assumed. Wrong again.

Anyway I was seated at my table for one, second row, over on the left side. I had purchased category 2 tickets.

Also for some reason I did not take any photos at all except for the food :sad2:

As with the character meal review, I’ll go into the food first and then the show.

I was given the menu for the evening:

View attachment 177692

And placed my drink menu. Just some refreshing iced tea.

View attachment 177691

Wasn’t in the mood for any alcohol. I was already tired from a long, adventurous day and didn’t want to get light headed and have that ruin my enjoyment of the show.

First course- Salad

View attachment 177689

So another thing I’d like to point out is that every table gets the same buckets/pails of food whether you are solo or part of a group. And it is A LOT of food! Important to pace yourself and not be tempted to eat the whole pail that’s sitting right in front of you.

As you can see this is a standard salad. A very well coated one in dressing and cheese. I found it to be very refreshing. Ate two plates.

The main course is the fried chicken, pork ribs, beans, corn, and mashed potatoes. I don’t eat pork so requested it to be removed (I love ribs so this was hard to do). It didn’t occur to me to mention when I made the ADR that I don’t eat pork and to inquire about an alternative.

I had two pieces of fried chicken. First one I found to be kinda dry but the second one was just right.

Enjoyed the mashed potatoes and the warm corn- really what’s not to love?

I noticed what looked like pieces of meat in the beans and when I asked about that my suspicions were confirmed that it was pork. I was looking forward to the beans so I was very disappointed. This is when I was sorry I didn't mention the not eating pork thing earlier, but I don’t associate beans with pork and the menu did not indicate this. The server was nice enough to bring me a bowl of vegetarian beans instead and while I did appreciate it, I’m sorry to say that they were very bland, like straight out of a can. Even with some salt sprinkled on.

View attachment 177696

The real star of the meal though was the mini corn bread loaf with sweet churned butter. Oh Lordy! This was so very delectably delicious! It was absolutely my favorite part of the meal. I just kept on slicing and eating. I ate more than ¾ of the thing. Now it occurs to me that I should have asked if they had any extra to take back with me being that it was the final showing of the night. I wish I was eating some right now!

View attachment 177690

After all this food and with a lot of fanfare we were served dessert- Strawberry Shortcake!
View attachment 177694

The picture does not do it justice- this thing was massive! Ok now, I love strawberries, I love cream, and I love cake so I was determined to eat as much as I could even though I was already pretty full. And it was as delicious as it looks, but as determined as I was, I could only manage a few bites. I did make a decent dent in it for a solo (and rather stuffed) diner though and was consoled when I saw while walking out that many other tables found themselves in the same predicament.

Now on to the show:

The show part itself I believe started after the salad course. A lot of singing, a lot of jokes, some audience interaction. It was very entertaining and funny. I was laughing hard most of the time. Which is exactly why I wanted to book it in the first place. I really enjoyed myself.

Sometime during the beginning of the show, they came down to the audience and asked people where they were from. They also asked if anyone was celebrating. There was a song played for couples celebrating their honeymoon or anniversary to dance to.

There was one instance where one of the actresses started flirting with one of the audience members (the grandfather it seemed) at the front center table. His family was laughing uproariously with the rest of us.

There was also the part near the end where they pulled out some audience members and had them participate in one of the sketches.

And how can I forget the “cheering/shouting competition” between the two sides of the dining hall. That was fun as well.

All in all an entertaining and tasty experience that I think was worth the price and I am glad I was able to fit it in (even if it did mean that I had to cut Universal short for it).

Next up: 50’s Prime Time @ Hollywood Studios
awesome review! I am doing this with my son as our finale on our trip in december. I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter