Seriously....stingrays?

We did stingray city in the Grand Caymens and loved it we didnt go through Disney but it was still great. Most of the reason our tour guide told us that they stay there is they get fed all the time and there is a large reef (or something) which protects the sandbar thats why there is little wave activity. Because of this their predators cant get in so they are happy there and dont try to leave.

DD was 11 @ the time and is a very shy person so it was not good for her she hung on to grandpa the whole time. But I know it can be scary cause they are large and the water came up pretty high and they like to swim into people and rub against your legs. There is also a lot more there, when we went CC and saw how it worked there she said that she would have done.

I thought these were dangerous creatures, and we all know a wonderful Aussie killed by one.

What am I missing here that people WANT to go swimming with them?

I know I must be missing something????

We did the Stingray Excursion at Castaway Cay twice ... LOVED it ... barbs are removed to it's safe ... SO AWESOME. They are sooo soft underneath and feeding them is wonderful!!! DO IT!!!! : ):lovestruc

My dad got stung by a stingray when we were surf fishing on hilton head. It was painful, and his hand swelled to twice its size. The stingray was certainly in distress since my son caught it fishing. Not sure what I think of swimming around them.

Only a handful of people have ever been killed by a stingray. What happened to Steve Irwin was a freak accident. He was swimming along in shallow water along the sand and startled one. The actual act of swimming is far more dangerous than the stingrays themselves.

I thought these were dangerous creatures, and we all know a wonderful Aussie killed by one.

What am I missing here that people WANT to go swimming with them?

I know I must be missing something????

1) "I thought these were dangerous creatures, and we all know a wonderful Aussie killed by one."

-A stingray is no more harmful than a skunk or porcupine. Skunks have an oder gland do defend themselves, porcupine's have quills on their back, and stingray's have barbs on their tails. They are all defense mechanisms used to defend themselves when they feel threatened or unsafe.

Anyone in the "animal world" (people who work with animals at zoo's and places similar to that) really weren't fans of him (and a few others that are well known on TV to be handling animals). He was known to harass animals to get that perfect shot. And if you are harassing animals, dangerous things can happen.

Also, stingray's barbs are shaped like fishing hooks. Steve Irwin was hit by the barb near his chest (which, most people that are stung by stingrays, are in their feet, because they're laying in the sand where you're walking at the beach, not swimming over the top of them like he was). He then pulled the barb out of his chest immediately. It is always recommend to get to the hospital and let doctors get it out safely. When he ripped it out of his chest, he damaged his heart, which is what killed him. So really, it was his fault he died:

A) because he was harassing a wild animal
B) He ripped the barb out of his chest

2) As others have stated; places like Stingray City is a very popular destination to feed, touch and swim with stingrays. So, it's something that sells.

What other animals would they use on the island for interactions? Dolphins?
Dolphins are much more difficult to come across and have in captivity. It's illegal to take them out of the wild anywhere in the US, and it a majority of countries. And, quite honestly, dolphins are probably more dangerous than a stingray. They are much larger, and much more intelligent. Thus, they know how to get what the want.

Stingrays are fish, and just like fishing is legal as long as you have a license, catching stingrays for interactions, is also legal.

So, really stingrays are a pretty safe, logical choice for disney to use at CC.

chiamarie said:
1) "I thought these were dangerous creatures, and we all know a wonderful Aussie killed by one."

-A stingray is no more harmful than a skunk or porcupine. Skunks have an oder gland do defend themselves, porcupine's have quills on their back, and stingray's have barbs on their tails. They are all defense mechanisms used to defend themselves when they feel threatened or unsafe.

Anyone in the "animal world" (people who work with animals at zoo's and places similar to that) really weren't fans of him (and a few others that are well known on TV to be handling animals). He was known to harass animals to get that perfect shot. And if you are harassing animals, dangerous things can happen.

Also, stingray's barbs are shaped like fishing hooks. Steve Irwin was hit by the barb near his chest (which, most people that are stung by stingrays, are in their feet, because they're laying in the sand where you're walking at the beach, not swimming over the top of them like he was). He then pulled the barb out of his chest immediately. It is always recommend to get to the hospital and let doctors get it out safely. When he ripped it out of his chest, he damaged his heart, which is what killed him. So really, it was his fault he died:

A) because he was harassing a wild animal
B) He ripped the barb out of his chest

2) As others have stated; places like Stingray City is a very popular destination to feed, touch and swim with stingrays. So, it's something that sells.

What other animals would they use on the island for interactions? Dolphins?
Dolphins are much more difficult to come across and have in captivity. It's illegal to take them out of the wild anywhere in the US, and it a majority of countries. And, quite honestly, dolphins are probably more dangerous than a stingray. They are much larger, and much more intelligent. Thus, they know how to get what the want.

Stingrays are fish, and just like fishing is legal as long as you have a license, catching stingrays for interactions, is also legal.

So, really stingrays are a pretty safe, logical choice for disney to use at CC.

We visited the stingray city sandbar on an excursion in Grand Cayman. It was actually pretty cool. The guide gave us a couple of safety tips, such as shuffle your feet and don't grab the barb, but other than that we were up close and personal with them.

There are also a few other things to know about the Steve Irwin situation. The stingrays he was filming at the time were bat rays. Those are naturally larger and more aggressive (but still not hostile). The ray that hit him was actually trying to hit another ray that Steve was swimming with and it got him as well. Then, as stated above, Irwin yanked out the barb, destroying his heart in the process.

Nothing you experience in stingray city will approach what Irwin was facing. Even if you get hit by the barb, it will cause you pain and bruising but that is about it.

We did the Stingray Excursion at Castaway Cay twice ... LOVED it ... barbs are removed to it's safe ... SO AWESOME. They are sooo soft underneath and feeding them is wonderful!!! DO IT!!!! : ):lovestruc

The stingray experience at Stingray City and Castaway Cay are not to be missed and the interaction with these creatures is fantastic; however, contrary to what several posters have said, the barbs/stingers at Castaway Cay have NOT been removed, and that is for the safety of the ray.

Back when platinum members were given behind-the-scenes tours and experiences, DW and I participated in one at Castaway Cay and met with one of the marine biologists. Although there is, in fact, a large net in the bay, because of storms and currents, it is not uncommon for the stingrays to get out. As explained to us, if the barbs were removed, the ray would be defenseless to its natural predators and it would place them at risk, so the barbs remain in tact. The only thing done by biologists at Castaway Cay is to snip about 1/4 inch of the barb when it gets too long or to dull the sharpness a bit, but the barb is still present and the ray could use it if provoked (they rarely do because it takes weeks for a new one to grow back, again leaving the ray defenseless).

Probably more about rays than readers want to know, but you should understand that, although they are incredibly social and tame creatures (almost like puppies!), the biologists at Castaway Cay still want you to be careful on where you pet the rays and how you interact with them. Whether you go to Stingray City or Castaway Cay to meet the rays, it is an unforgettable experience.

DH and I did Stingray City in Grand Cayman and it was also an unforgettable experience. I wouldn't call the stingrays there "domesticated," as others have said, but they have completely adapted to the idea of being around people because they get to be fat and lazy and hand-fed by humans all day long, every day. Not a bad life, if you ask me.

I would quite confidently describe the stingrays there as kitten-like. As soon as we set foot in the water, we were surrounded by stingrays rubbing against our legs looking for a pet and a bite to eat. It was downright cute. Our guide did inform us about shuffling through the sand to avoid stepping on any rays (although truth be told no one is hiding beneath the sand on that sandbar...too many snacks to beg for!) and did warn us that the stringrays do not have their barbs removed or trimmed. That said, the barbs are a defense mechanism...and the rays in Grand Cayman are well aware that the people there really don't need to be defended against! We come with way too much tasty squid for them. Truly, they would much, much rather eat out of your hand than attempt to harm you. In fact, if we held out our hands (whether we had food or not) they would swim right up and give our hands a "kiss" looking for a snack.

Reading this thread brings back memories:rolleyes: We did Stingray City back in 2010 on a jet ski tour. I still remember the huge bruise I recieved on the right side of my body as I flung myself back onto my jet ski when one of these HUGE sting rays approached us. When I finally got off again and back into the water, it was a very fun experience. They were not intimidated by humans at all. I've swam with stingrays at Discovery Cove a few times also. They're beautiful creatures and I've never had a problem from them. I guess the best approach is to let them approach you.

We loved the Stingray experience at CC! It was informative, fun, and it was something that everyone in the family was able to participate in as much or as little as they wanted to. :thumbsup2

We did the stingray encounter at Grand Cayman as well. We loved it. They were beautiful and more tame than our housecats!! One of the stingrays did kiss my daughter's thigh. She wasn't too happy with that but she did get to pet them so it made up for it.

I got to see the cutest little baby stingray. It was so tiny!! We all voted it our favorite excursion and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have NEVER read that this is what happened.

I didn't pay much attention to the incident when it happened as I didn't watch his shows. When the OP mentioned it, I googled people getting hurt by stingrays and came up with this (perhaps not accurate, perhaps he was just swimming above it):

http://cruises.about.com/od/caribbe...ty-Grand-Cayman/Stingray-Barb-Steve-Irwin.htm

Regardless, the point is that getting killed by a stingray is pretty much a freak accident. People are hurt by dogs FAR more often and nobody thinks it's unsafe to go visit the bobsled dogs in Alaska. That's what we're all pointing out to the OP. FWIW, I wouldn't swim above a stingray, either; just like I don't walk behind horses.

People are hurt by dogs FAR more often and nobody thinks it's unsafe to go visit the bobsled dogs in Alaska.

OK, I know this is completely off-topic...but bobsledding dogs = best mental image ever. In particular, I am picturing Jamaican bobsledding dogs...as they likely wouldn't win at the Olympics but would have an awful lot of heart! :rotfl2:

...Now back to your regularly scheduled stingray debate.

We just went snorkeling with reef sharks in Nassau and it was an incredible experience! We are not in the shark's food chain or the stingray's food chain, so they don't see us as food. We are not threatening them (unless you are chasing them) and while they might be interested in what we are doing in their neighborhood, they don't see us as a threat. In fact, on shark dives, once the free food handouts are finished, the sharks disappear from sight almost on cue. And stingrays are beautiful, graceful animals! Their barbs are for protection from other predators because they don't have any other defense. Seeing stingrays while diving, especially eagle rays, makes me smile. I love to swim next to them and pretend to fly! They are gentle creatures, as long as we don't startle them.

Being able to visit the "silent world" is an amazing adventure. You will feel like an explorer, adventurer, and sharing it with your kids is so special!

If you are afraid of swimming with sting rays, you don't have to do it. I'm afraid of skydiving and bungee jumping, so I don't. I'm sure there are other excursions that would appeal to your family if you are concerned about safety.

DD was bitten by a stingray at Discovery Cove - in their stingray area..

My DS was also "kissed" by a stingray in Stingray City in Grand Cayman when he was about 5. He was having a great time, laughing & all of a sudden he screeched. The stingray sucked on his leg and left a bruise. He was so skinny & pale that the guide told him the stingray thought he was a squid. :lmao: I think it scared him more than hurt. The guide told him it happened so rarely that he was extremely lucky! He's almost 13 and still remembers it & tells people how lucky he was to have it happen ::yes::

My DD was only a baby at the time & she really wants to go....and she wants a "kiss" too!

OK, I know this is completely off-topic...but bobsledding dogs = best mental image ever. In particular, I am picturing Jamaican bobsledding dogs...as they likely wouldn't win at the Olympics but would have an awful lot of heart! :rotfl2:

...Now back to your regularly scheduled stingray debate.
Thanks for making me laugh this morning MM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter