• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seriously? now I have to think about Soda refills?

Ha! But really how fast can people drink a whole mug full of soda?? It takes me ages! I cannot imagine someone downing it and then standing with their tray still in their hands waiting the 3 min to refill right away. But maybe some people would...:confused3

You're assuming people only use the mugs at meals. When I do the fill-chug-refill thing with my iced tea or soda it is because I've been out at the parks, down at the pool, or walking/jogging around the resort. I'm hot and thirsty, and I'm not there for a meal or juggling a tray. I just want to have one drink there and then take my refill to go to where ever I'm headed next.

I am DEFINITELY going through with my plan to get up one morning, go to the resort quick service alone with all three of our DDP mugs, fill them all and sit alone and laugh out loud while I drink them. Laugh maniacally. I think I'll pick up a Maleficent head piece to wear while I do it.

:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:maleficen MUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am DEFINITELY going through with my plan to get up one morning, go to the resort quick service alone with all three of our DDP mugs, fill them all and sit alone and laugh out loud while I drink them. Laugh maniacally. I think I'll pick up a Maleficent head piece to wear while I do it.

:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:maleficen MUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lol I love this! I also have images of people digging out the RFID chips from other peoples mugs special agent style ( has to be done at night by breaking into peoples rooms dressed all in black with torch in mouth ) and using these chips to refill hats, buckets, any old mug they find... Meanwhile in Gotham city little Johnnie wonders why his mug won't fill...

:rotfl:Soon you will be able to schedule mug refill times 60 days in advance ala FP+.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Just kidding!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:

I will admit 100% that due to the way I use the mug, I do not understand the arguments. I do not see how waiting 3 minutes between refills is an issue. You can mix flavors according to Disney because it keeps track how much has been dispensed. I also don't see an issue with the price as I have broken it down by day and on how I normally use it on a normal trip. It is also only being used on the soda machines.

Also, as I stated before, it is not the cost of soda that Disney is worried about with people bringing back old mugs or random drink holders. It is the loss of profit from the sale of a new mug or drink. People are putting the loss of money issue in the wrong part of the transaction.

Was at the boardwalk bakery a few minutes ago and they have turned over to the rapid refill mugs. Signs all over as to how much the days cost, etc.

Note Last Thursday I bought my mug at the bakery without the refill option.

I do not believe the chips are working yet at the bakery or how they work because I got my coffee as usual.

Did, however, see why Disney is doing this - with a woman in front of me filling her very old port Orleans mug with soda. Cast members did not even comment. What gall is that.

How can you miss this? It is restricted,tracked via RFID,soda drinking.....(1984 anyone?) I realize being at Disney is a privilege we all willingly pay for, and choose,but I DON'T like the idea of EVERYTHING,right down to the sodas,being tracked and monitored like this..... it's nuts! I still love a lot about WDW, but I will try to avoid all this foolishness for as long as possible..... FWIW,I started this b/c of that 'feeling'...I have always thought a 14.00 soda mug was NUTSO,now that it's 18.00,and has a leash attached at all times, I like it even less. "Underground Disney",now that sounds like a title for a new guidebook! How to do Disney under the RFID radar....:rotfl2::rotfl: Like I said in OP,so glad I don't have to bother with thinking about this right now....I'll just buy a soda if i want one,then toss that cup.......

What I find most interesting about this whole discussions is that people are getting upset because they no longer can "steal" from the big bad corporation.
No they are not :confused:. They are complaining that they can no longer receive what they have PAID for in the past: a mug that can be refilled without silly restrictions. People are not complaining that it is chipped so it expires. They are complaining that they can no longer top off their drink or get a refill sooner than 3 minutes. I always fill my drink, sip a little and then top off before I sit down. If I'm really thirty I will take a couple of real gulps before I top off. If I am limited to the volume of my cup every 3 minutes I will not be able to do that and that is a total PITB.

The time limit on refills is a reaction to those who would purchase one mug for their entire family and use it to fill multiple receptacles with as much soda as the whole family wanted. If they have to wait 3 minutes for the next refill, it will discourage that type of abuse.

I personally can't blame them for looking for a way to keep the mug program working the way Disney intended it to work.

Not sure where you are getting that they are "tracking and monitoring" soda use for bad reasons. It is likely they just want to know which are the most popular and the amounts they should stock at each resort.

As for RFID, soon at WDW there will be no choice but to use it. There already is no choice as all the resort door locks have been converted to RFID locks. Paper cups at the resorts are going to be RFID too.

I'm just not going to buy the mugs. I'm making a trek to the Hess store for some diet Coke. Will cost me less overall anyway.

I'm on the DDP and the mug comes with it, so what's to worry about? Seriously, it just seems to me that there is always someone who has something to complain about. No offense intended to anyone. But come on, most vacations you have to pay for everything, and I mean everything. This is just splitting hairs, ok, so don't get the mugs. But I agree with PP, its in response to those who repeatedly bring back their old mugs year after year! I've never done so, but it does burn my back side when I'm using a new mug at CBR and see a family of 6 using the "old" Wilderness Lodge mugs to fill up! So, I get their point. It makes sense. If you don't like the mugs, ask for a paper cup and drink water.

What she said! :thumbsup2

The time limit on refills is a reaction to those who would purchase one mug for their entire family and use it to fill multiple receptacles with as much soda as the whole family wanted. If they have to wait 3 minutes for the next refill, it will discourage that type of abuse.

I personally can't blame them for looking for a way to keep the mug program working the way Disney intended it to work.
I've heard of that kind of abuse and it was mentioned upthread but I have not personally witnessed it (and I've stayed at all levels of resorts). I have also not personally witnessed someone refilling a Big Gulp or other huge container. I *have* seen people fill smaller non-Disney mugs or older/beat up Disney mugs. So, I guess of all the possible abuses of the system (1) using old mugs, (2) using non-Disney mugs, (3) using Disney mugs to fill non-Disney mugs the RFID chip takes care of (1) & (2) without a refill lockout. My question is, does abuse (3) happen so often that it's worth inconveniencing the vast majority of mug users who follow the rules to just stop a small number of people who are abusing the system?

Apparently it happens often enough for them to program in the 3 minute rule. They are not doing that solely to inconvenience users. Whether they will keep it or not, we have yet to see.

What she said! :thumbsup2

So you never complain about anything silly? Seriously? Conversation, like a good book need, or good ride need conflict. ;)

I'll still buy our mugs and be happy they aren't putting rules on coffee just because I am tired of stupid rules. :)

All I can say is Wow! You don't like the mug, don't get the mug! Not that big of a deal! You're on vacation, people, time to relax and enjoy your time at Disney!

Apparently it happens often enough for them to program in the 3 minute rule. They are not doing that solely to inconvenience users. Whether they will keep it or not, we have yet to see.
Obviously, someone thought it was a good idea :scratchin. I'm just glad that I won't be at a Disney resort until the bugs have been shaken out of the system.

Obviously, someone thought it was a good idea :scratchin. I'm just glad that I won't be at a Disney resort until the bugs have been shaken out of the system.

No RFID mugs when we were there. Tons of problems with the RFID room keys.

All I can say is Wow! You don't like the mug, don't get the mug! Not that big of a deal! You're on vacation, people, time to relax and enjoy your time at Disney!

If people don't want to hear complaints don't read the thread. Same concept I believe...

So you never complain about anything silly? Seriously? Conversation, like a good book need, or good ride need conflict. ;)

I guess I should have edited the part of the quote I agreed with... ;) I thought the PP had valid points and it was well said and non-confrontational. Life has a ton of things to worry about... and you are right, this is a silly complaint! Enjoying the book...:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter