• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September crowds 2012 vs 2013

superdisneydork

Mouseketeer
Hey all,

My next trip is coming up this September, and my last trip was in last September, just before F&W. which was just wonderful. The weather was cool and nice, the crowds down, lines short, and it was my very first solo trip and I had a blast. Tried a bunch of things I never got to try before. All in all, the parks weren't too busy, I barely used Fastpass (just didn't need it!) and I only waited a while once, when Soarin' was having hiccups. In a nutshell, it was a really easygoing trip and not busy at all.

There is a point to all this! I am taking some family members on the next trip, including two younger cousins who I intend to get as hooked on Disney as I am, and I am thinking about how to adjust my touring plan for them. Mostly I'm not too worried, given the low crowds and such, but I had a couple specific concerns.

For reference our dates are 9/17 to 9/21 this time.

1) Was that situation the norm for September? Can I expect similarly small crowds and lines?

2) When I was there in September I rode TSM for the first time ever, and twice total, without ever using FPs or RD or waiting more than 25 minutes, is that normal? From what I read here, that was totally amazing luck. I am wondering because we want to try doing the JTA on our DHS day and I'm wondering if somebody actually needs to run to TSM at the same time too.

3) Is there anything going on that week I should watch out for? I want to make sure the kids have fun, and they share my.... enthusiasm for lines!

Thanks,
Matt

Hey all,

My next trip is coming up this September, and my last trip was in last September, just before F&W. which was just wonderful. The weather was cool and nice, the crowds down, lines short, and it was my very first solo trip and I had a blast. Tried a bunch of things I never got to try before. All in all, the parks weren't too busy, I barely used Fastpass (just didn't need it!) and I only waited a while once, when Soarin' was having hiccups. In a nutshell, it was a really easygoing trip and not busy at all.

There is a point to all this! I am taking some family members on the next trip, including two younger cousins who I intend to get as hooked on Disney as I am, and I am thinking about how to adjust my touring plan for them. Mostly I'm not too worried, given the low crowds and such, but I had a couple specific concerns.

For reference our dates are 9/17 to 9/21 this time.

1) Was that situation the norm for September? Can I expect similarly small crowds and lines?

2) When I was there in September I rode TSM for the first time ever, and twice total, without ever using FPs or RD or waiting more than 25 minutes, is that normal? From what I read here, that was totally amazing luck. I am wondering because we want to try doing the JTA on our DHS day and I'm wondering if somebody actually needs to run to TSM at the same time too.

3) Is there anything going on that week I should watch out for? I want to make sure the kids have fun, and they share my.... enthusiasm for lines!

Thanks,
Matt

September is among the least crowded, if not the least crowded month to go. I've been multiple times in September, and I've never seen worse than moderate crowds. I found Soarin' with a 10-minute standby wait in the middle of a September afternoon last year. That experience (and yours with TSM) is not the norm, even in September, but the chances for light crowds are about the best you'll see.

September is among the least crowded, if not the least crowded month to go. I've been multiple times in September, and I've never seen worse than moderate crowds. I found Soarin' with a 10-minute standby wait in the middle of a September afternoon last year. That experience (and yours with TSM) is not the norm, even in September, but the chances for light crowds are about the best you'll see.

So you think I got lucky with TSM? I'll have to keep that in mind the kids will love it, so it is a must do item!

Overall though, light to moderate crowds can be expected? Are there any other rides or events that need specific concern to make sure we do? I already have one of only two ADRs I'm making (want to stay flexible for the kids) and the other is for the fireworks dessert party which hasn't opened for September yet.

Any other tips? it's the second trip for the kids, but the first trip was basically them following around another family and doing very little, so I'm hoping to show them a better time!

Thanks,
Matt

Crowds are low.Weather is usually HOT and HUMID .I think you lucked out on the cool weather

I absolutely love Sept and it's by far my favorite time of year to go to Disney!!

We were there around that time last year, and we leave on the 19th this year! The weather is going to be hot, and it will rain, but buy a poncho and you're all set!

I'd say you got lucky with TSM, but that's just me, I know it has far less wait times in Sept! If you stick with the recommended parks for the day, you'll be great!! The only event I can think of is that on Tues and Fridays they will be having MNSSHP's at Mk.

MNSSHP is an amazing halloween event that in my opinion, is worth the extra cost to go, but if you don't, just be aware MK will close at 7, and it's said that MK will be less crowded those days because of the early closing, and thus no MSEP or wishes

Send someone to get FPs for TSM while the kids go with another adult to sign up for JTA. Then you'll have your bases covered.

Hey... Fellow Long Islander here!

We always go in September with the exception of last year, when we went in October.... We were shocked at how much MORE crowded it was in October. We're going back in September this year again. We've always had the same experience as you did, but I would run ahead to get the fast passes for TSM if that is a must do... (Better safe than sorry)! Don't forget that Buzz Lightyar's Space Ranger Spin in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom is a fun similar ride.

How old are the younger cousins? I have a 6 year old and almost 3 year old, so can make suggestions if that is the age of your cousins.

Finally, I would just say that one thing that SHOCKED us was the crowds in the late afternoon/ early evening in the Magic Kingdom on NON- party nights. The explanation we figured out was that MK is always more busy because people want to see the Light Parade, and a lot of people stay away from the park on party days because it closes at 7pm, so people think they are not "getting their money's worth" from the tickets.

Hey... Fellow Long Islander here!

We always go in September with the exception of last year, when we went in October.... We were shocked at how much MORE crowded it was in October. We're going back in September this year again. We've always had the same experience as you did, but I would run ahead to get the fast passes for TSM if that is a must do... (Better safe than sorry)! Don't forget that Buzz Lightyar's Space Ranger Spin in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom is a fun similar ride.

How old are the younger cousins? I have a 6 year old and almost 3 year old, so can make suggestions if that is the age of your cousins.

Finally, I would just say that one thing that SHOCKED us was the crowds in the late afternoon/ early evening in the Magic Kingdom on NON- party nights. The explanation we figured out was that MK is always more busy because people want to see the Light Parade, and a lot of people stay away from the park on party days because it closes at 7pm, so people think they are not "getting their money's worth" from the tickets.

The kids are 11 and 12 at time of travel. There will definitely be plenty of runs on Space Ranger Spin (I have a high score to defend after all) but TSM is I think fun in a different way. SRS is more about skill with aiming and TSM is more about wild fun, in my experience!

So, were your surprised because the park was more crowded on non-party days and not busy on party days? That seems backwards?

Matt

The kids are 11 and 12 at time of travel. There will definitely be plenty of runs on Space Ranger Spin (I have a high score to defend after all) but TSM is I think fun in a different way. SRS is more about skill with aiming and TSM is more about wild fun, in my experience!

So, were your surprised because the park was more crowded on non-party days and not busy on party days? That seems backwards?

Matt

People are less likely to use a days admission on a day the MK is closing at 7pm for dayguests and no evening parade.That is why on MNSSHP days it is not as crowded than on days when it is not scheduled.

People are less likely to use a days admission on a day the MK is closing at 7pm for dayguests and no evening parade.That is why on MNSSHP days it is not as crowded than on days when it is not scheduled.

Oooohhhh I get it. Actually now that I think about it, I almost agree with it, but hopefully the low crowds mean we can do everything we want and don't need a late night at MK anyway. This needs some planning....

Do you suggest taking advantage of those days? Or is there (in your opinions) merit to the concept of not wasting a day? We will have park hoppers, so maybe we can do MK and then something else?

Matt

RMulieri said:

I can attest to this. We normally go to MK the day of a party, and use a park ticket and still go to the MNSSHP. We love how light the crowds are.

Oooohhhh I get it. Actually now that I think about it, I almost agree with it, but hopefully the low crowds mean we can do everything we want and don't need a late night at MK anyway. This needs some planning....

Do you suggest taking advantage of those days? Or is there (in your opinions) merit to the concept of not wasting a day? We will have park hoppers, so maybe we can do MK and then something else?

Matt

We always go on party days to enjoy the lower crowds( even though it is a shortened day ).I could not believe HOW busy it was on the non-party days and it wasn't worth it to us( not a fan of the parades anyway)

We always do park hoppers... IMHO, I would do MK at rope drop on a party day, then hop over to Epcot for dinner and illuminations, or HS for dinner and fantasmic. The park was SO crowded on a non-party Saturday night (granted it was a weekend) that I was twitching from the crowds. I actually asked a few cast members what was going on because it was SO dramatically more crowded than all the other times we had been there.

I'd make sure to hit all the big rides with the tween set... Space Mtn, splash and big thunder, rockin' roller coaster, tower of terror, star tours, expedition Everest, dinosaur, mission space, Soarin' test track.

Maybe do the sorcerers of the kingdom game in MK? Agent P adventures in Epcot's world showcase? I think there will be a new interactive pirate adventure in MK that will be open, and who knows.... Fingers crossed.... Maybe the new Mine Train roller coaster in fantasyland will be in trials?

Half the fun is planning.... :)
Have a great trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter