• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 2023 Aulani Trip - Complete

Loving the pictures!! We were there at the same time (9/19 to 9/29) and this helps me feel even MORE unhappy about being home in the real world.

Agreed with @OKW Lover that Waimea Falls is fantastic. I think we spent 3.5 hours there; it was an absolute highlight of the trip for us!

Day 7…Today was spa day for me and fishing for the hubby. Laniwai, the spa at Aulani was beautiful! Checkin is a hour ahead and you get to use the beautiful tranquility garden with rain showers, hot tubs, plunge pools, sauna, steam room and more. Hot stone signature massage was so relaxing. The hot stones and use of lomi sticks were a free DVC upgrade. Only wish was more time in gardens after.
Hubby had a great excursion with Boom Boom Fishing. They caught tuna, wahoo, amberjack and more…his only disappointment was captain kept big fish. As we had plans for rest of week he didn’t want any keepers but keep this in mind when booking.
IMG_4836.jpegIMG_4859.jpegIMG_4857.jpegDinner that night was a quick bite at Olea room…delicious food and great atmosphere with music. We had Sashimi platter, edamame, vegetable rolls and steak bites! Yummy!
IMG_5340.jpegIMG_5339.jpeg

Day 8 - Today we did the full day Pearl Harbor tour with E Noa Tours booked through Aulani. Started with a drive through of Honolulu and the sights…IMG_5366.jpeg
Next we were off to see Pearl Harbor…quick note here…only clear plastic bags allowed, sandwiches need to be eaten before movie and boat ride to the Arizona, there are lockers for rent!
To say we were humbled and in awe of the sacrifices of so many American lives is an understatement. Start with the movie…then be sure you’re on line at your scheduled time for boat ride out to the Arizona Memorial. Museum is full of amazing artifacts and displays.
Back on bus…security comes on bus and checks all areas of bus as the Missouri is part of a working base. Again, tour was great…learned a lot and was inspired by the stories we heard.
IMG_5372.jpegIMG_5373.jpegIMG_5374.jpeg
Made it back to resort by 4:15 with plenty of time to get ready for our dinner reservation at Noe, Four Seasons Resort.
Another great meal starting with the Whipped Ricotta with almonds and honey…next up was Mahi Mahi for husband and the Fettuccine with truffle and mushrooms for me! Shared dessert a lemon basil gelato and lemon sorbet. Yummy meal…standouts were ricotta and pasta course.

IMG_5379.jpegIMG_5384.jpegIMG_5388.jpegIMG_5391.jpeg
Sorry missed entree photos! Next up…our last day! 😞

Last full day…
Again enjoyed spa treatments and lots of beach time!
Finally got the Mickey Musubi at Ule Cafe…not my favorite but needed to have something Mickey shaped before we left.
IMG_5414.jpegIMG_5415.jpeg
So enjoyed our last day here…again, another day with lighter crowds and plenty of lounge chairs to be found. Somewhat funny that as the crowds lightened, they enforced chair policies more. Saw cast member folding towels on loungers to signal how long they were unattended.
Our final dinner was at AMA AMA and it did not disappoint! We decided on dinner with wine tastings.
First was an amuche Bouche of beets with blue cheese.

IMG_5430.jpeg
The views just kept getting better all night and the entertainment was great!

IMG_5428.jpegIMG_5429.jpeg

IMG_5445.jpeg
Our first course were Venison Tartare and the Waipoli Greens…Yummy!
IMG_5432.jpegIMG_5433.jpeg

AMA AMA cont’d…

Next course was octopus with Miso and Parmesan Risotto and Pork Belly with sweet potato purée…Star here was Pork Belly though we enjoyed both.
IMG_5442.jpegIMG_5443.jpeg
For our entrees we had Fish Special which was Amber Jack and the Scallop and Shrimp Ravioli with Trout Roe…Ravioli hands down was favorite!

IMG_5448.jpegIMG_5449.jpeg
And the finale was Coconut Flan and Citrus Bar…each beautifully presented and delicious! IMG_5450.jpegIMG_5452.jpegIMG_5453.jpeg
A wonderful end to an amazing vacation…some final thoughts up next!
IMG_5444.jpeg

Final thoughts….
Aulani was beautiful and everything I read about and researched! Even more beautiful in person!
Was a little concerned that it might be too Disney and too much kid oriented…definitely not the case..quiet areas to be found and we enjoyed that it was not an exclusive couple resort!
We definitely hit a good time of year to visit…great weather and smaller crowds!
Food standouts…AMA AMA, Mina’s Fish House, and NOE… but honestly not a bad meal anywhere.
Would we come back??? We are DVC members and maybe in years to come with our grandchildren??? Honestly the flights knocked the crap out of us, though we flew direct, first class from Eastern Seaboard. There are so many beautiful islands three to four hours away from us, same time zone.
Made many great memories…thanks for all the tips found here! IMG_5423.jpeg
IMG_5434.jpegIMG_5407.jpegIMG_5261.jpeg

Daisy,

Thanks so much for the excellent, informative trip report!

I've asked other posters this before, but wanted your opinion: If you had to choose just one between Mina's and Ama Ama, which would you choose?

Thanks again.

Daisy,

Thanks so much for the excellent, informative trip report!

I've asked other posters this before, but wanted your opinion: If you had to choose just one between Mina's and Ama Ama, which would you choose?

Thanks again.
Thanks so much…just wanted to pay it forward after all the great advice I received here!

The differences between the two that’s tough…that said the service, atmosphere (way quieter and nicer at AMA AMA) and, presentation at AMA AMA of food was amazing! The food itself was delicious both restaurants! We also did the wine pairing at AMA AMA, that may be influencing my opinion.

The Lobster Pot Pie at Mina’s was so exceptional! Don’t want to sell it short!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice…for a more romantic dinner…AMA AMA!

Thanks so much…just wanted to pay it forward after all the great advice I received here!

The differences between the two that’s tough…that said the service, atmosphere (way quieter and nicer at AMA AMA) and, presentation at AMA AMA of food was amazing! The food itself was delicious both restaurants! We also did the wine pairing at AMA AMA, that may be influencing my opinion.

The Lobster Pot Pie at Mina’s was so exceptional! Don’t want to sell it short!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice…for a more romantic dinner…AMA AMA!
Thanks very much! That's pretty much the same as everybody else says. I guess I should try to do both...

Thank you for the review! My husband and I had our first date at a (now closed) Michael Mina restaurant, where he ordered the lobster pot pie and he is SO excited.

I have one other question— do you have a sense of how long you had to wait and/or how hard it was to get a table at Off the Hook? The menu looks pretty enticing but I don’t want to be battling crowds more than I have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter