September 17, 2006 - 11 Night Southern Caribbean Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott H said:
That's very well done..

Also can check out the DVC site on Disney.com and the DVC sections here on the DIS boards.

thanks, I did browse through the site. they give you some samples of how many points for std room etc, but not any real details.

How could you find out how many points a Cat 4 would be for a 7 night for example, or a combination of rooms? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.....

I kinda don;t like the fact that it has an end date, I thought most timeshare / point programs can go on infinitum, pass it on to your kids etc.

4 Deluxe Family Stateroom with Verandah for 2006 Western Route

VALUE SEASON 271 Pts
Jan 14, 28
Sep 9, 23

REGULAR SEASON 344 Pts

Feb 11, 25
May 6, 20
Aug 26
Oct 7, 21
Nov 4
Dec 2

PEAK SEASON 402 Pts

Mar 11, 25
Apr 22
Jun 3, 17
Jul 1, 15, 29
Aug 12

HOLIDAY SEASON 428 Pts

Apr 8
Nov 18
Dec 30

I know lots of people say that using DVC points for cruises is a bad value. And lots of people rents their points and then use cash for the cruise.

We recently bought into DVC at the time that we were going to book out two Med cruises. So we bought into DVC and then used points for both cruises (yes, we had to use about 2.5 years worth of points).

But we figured that we were getting a "2 for 1" use of the same dollars that the cruise would have cost us (use the dollars to buy into DVC and then use the points for the cruise). And we still plan to use points in the future for cruises.

At this point, we are happy DVC members.

Ken

I decided to poke my head in again...I'm having lunch. peanut butter & graham crackers, chicken noodle soup, and pineapple chunks....feels like kindergarten.

Scott- too bad the Soogy Moose isn't closer, need to get my advanced certification in by November. I'm thinking about going lobstering. Have you heard of the hydrooptix masks?

I need to PM for SM & tag...

kpros said:
I know lots of people say that using DVC points for cruises is a bad value. And lots of people rents their points and then use cash for the cruise.

We recently bought into DVC at the time that we were going to book out two Med cruises. So we bought into DVC and then used points for both cruises (yes, we had to use about 2.5 years worth of points).

But we figured that we were getting a "2 for 1" use of the same dollars that the cruise would have cost us (use the dollars to buy into DVC and then use the points for the cruise). And we still plan to use points in the future for cruises.

Ken

Ken, as I respect your opinion, I was glad to hear your logic, as that is what I used when we bought.

SuzieDizney said:
...forgot this.....

I think I read where someone was keeping track on excursions....here are ours!!

St. Thomas
Captain Nautica St. John Snorkeling Expedition
Suzie, Brian, Billy DS13, Aussie DS10, Bretty DS8

Barbados
Five Star Catamaran and Turtle Encounter
Suzie, Brian, Billy DS13, Aussie DS10, Bretty DS8

I still don't know what to do for Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Kitts????
Any Ideas for Family things with 8 year old???

Have a great day!! :cool1:

We have a 8 year old son, so at St. Kitts we are doing the train, since he loves the idea of being on a train and it takes you to see Brimstone Fort which should be alot of fun for him. I checked the fort out on line and it looks pretty cool with alot of pictures i'm sure he'll want to take with his camera.

St lucia, we are doing the pirate trip, since he loves pirates and it's one of the ships from the first pirates movie.

Antigua, we are doing the Seafari, just because he loves snorkling.

Hope that helps.

Celeste, I have heard of the hydrooptix masks but have not played with them. Lynn and I have used the Seavision masks, for quite a while. Lynn's is corrected and mine is not. As you have learned the thing with masks is the fit, so that should be checked first. We have found that Seavision masks seem to have an almost universal fit.

I would try and find a shop that has the hydrooptix masks and see if they would let ya try it before ya buy.

Lynn may have more to say re perscription masks...

Thanks, :thumbsup2 I tried my best since we've only been members for a year and this trip will be the first time we've used our points. We're not doing the cruise part on points, but we are doing WDW and the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge.

Did anyone ever figure out what gift basket Mommaluvdis was talking about? It's supposed to have something to do with DVC, but I have no idea what or how you go about getting it.

#3 :thumbsup2

Scott H said:
4 Deluxe Family Stateroom with Verandah for 2006 Western Route

VALUE SEASON 271 Pts
Jan 14, 28
Sep 9, 23

REGULAR SEASON 344 Pts

Feb 11, 25
May 6, 20
Aug 26
Oct 7, 21
Nov 4
Dec 2

PEAK SEASON 402 Pts

Mar 11, 25
Apr 22
Jun 3, 17
Jul 1, 15, 29
Aug 12

HOLIDAY SEASON 428 Pts

Apr 8
Nov 18
Dec 30

Interesting...

... I never knew how it worked before. Now I've stopped to ask Qs from the folks at the DVC carts before but they want to have me go for a presentation to find out the details. And heck - I'm usuallly enroute to havin' fun at one of their parks or similar when I encounter them.... so no way ... unless they are going to compensate me properly.... the timing suits me.

So... for having read your postings folks - what do I get? DO I get a shopping gift cert? .. Noooooo. Do I get an extra discount off a sailing? Nooooo. Well then how about a hand full of Mickey pops? Nooooo. That's what I thought... Heh-hee-heh! Well - at least I did not have to endure the smiling sophmoric pressure tactics so common to these presentations!

vaderstr.jpg

If this is the Ambassadors' unit and week then where is the Ambassador?

#11​

Captain, maybe you should attend one of the presentations on the ship. There will be plenty of time on this one to take just a little bit of time to see what it's all about. And who knows, you might get something. I know last year they had hats and lanyards they were handing out, so you might be able to get a little something.

Post #4

kpros said:

Ken

Very good! You must have a great mentor.........................

On another note, with regards to the points for sale on a DVC resale, the points figure to about $72.00 per point. Disney always has the first right of refusal and since points sell for over $100 each now, my guess is that they would take it back and not let the deal close so as to keep the value of the points up.

We bought back in 1994. We have been on numerous cruises and have added points every now and then (although we are not the DVC king like Scott), we added 250 last year on the DVC member cruise and got a free trip to Hong Kong Disneyland for 7 nights, hotel, park admissions, free food, gifts, etc.

If you are thinking of adding on, the owner cruise always has some great incentives. We now have 650 points.

Linda

captaincrash said:
Interesting...

... I never knew how it worked before. Now I've stopped to ask Qs from the folks at the DVC carts before but they want to have me go for a presentation to find out the details. And heck - I'm usuallly enroute to havin' fun at one of their parks or similar when I encounter them.... so no way ... unless they are going to compensate me properly.... the timing suits me.

So... for having read your postings folks - what do I get? DO I get a shopping gift cert? .. Noooooo. Do I get an extra discount off a sailing? Nooooo. Well then how about a hand full of Mickey pops? Nooooo. That's what I thought... Heh-hee-heh! Well - at least I did not have to endure the smiling sophmoric pressure tactics so common to these presentations!

vaderstr.jpg

If this is the Ambassadors' unit and week then where is the Ambassador?

#11​

Disney doesn't pressure you, the product sells itself. We left and went home and decided after we had got home. They didn't even encourage us to buy when we saw the presentation. They wanted us to think about it. I had some friends buy in last year when we were at WDW and they went to the booth. They got an incentive to go to the presentation. I think you have to ask for it.

Also, the guys at the kiosks can't give out the information because they are not licensed to do any part of the presentation as from what I have been told.

Linda

In 1991 when we bought there was no high pressure on DVC's part, I was the high pressure part just wanting them to cut to the chase and tell me how much.

Oh Captain C, at the end of the presentations at WDW you get ICE CREAM....

seaulater said:
Very good! You must have a great mentor.........................

On another note, with regards to the points for sale on a DVC resale, the points figure to about $72.00 per point. Disney always has the first right of refusal and since points sell for over $100 each now, my guess is that they would take it back and not let the deal close so as to keep the value of the points up.

We bought back in 1994. We have been on numerous cruises and have added points every now and then (although we are not the DVC king like Scott), we added 250 last year on the DVC member cruise and got a free trip to Hong Kong Disneyland for 7 nights, hotel, park admissions, free food, gifts, etc.

If you are thinking of adding on, the owner cruise always has some great incentives. We now have 650 points.

Linda

What a deal just for buying 250 points!!!

We almost bought when DVC first opened and all they had was the Disney Vacation Club, which became Old Key West. At the time, though we felt that it didn't work to the way we planned our trips, but now with how they're raising prices and just today I read that they've taken alot of the restuarants we normally eat at off the Dining Plan, the DVC is starting to look like the better option.

rotary2808 said:
In St. Kitts there is a railroad tour of the island that they might find interesting.

Morning everyone. This is post #1 for me.

I think I saw somewhere that the St Kitts railroad tour was sort of pricey... it would be cheaper to get a fixed wing aerial tour! Of course... I have not googled it ... yet. OK.. here it is....

So, the options are....

A. The Scenic Railway Tour consists of 30-mile train ride and circles the island is approximately 4 hours. This tour departs from and returns to our Needsmust Station which is located at the airport.

B. The Rail/Bus Combo Tour consists of a 18 mile train ride and 12 miles by Bus. This options provides you with opportunity to see the island by Rail and Road. The tour is timed to take 3 hours and 30 minutes total, with 2 hours 30 minutes spent on the rail trip. (NOW AVAILABLE TO ALL PASSENGERS)

The site posted prices as US$89.00 grown ups US$44.50 kids (3-11 years). So it seems to me as if the pricing is NOT as steep as I thought I read elsewhere. You suppose we coule get a discout if we got everyone of the 95 folks doing the pajama party to go on this rail tour? Naturally, we'd all do the rail tour in our pajamas! :rolleyes:

page4.2.jpg
train_sm.jpg

#12​

captaincrash said:
I think I saw somewhere that the St Kitts railroad tour was sort of pricey... it would be cheaper to get a fixed wing aerial tour! Of course... I have not googled it ... yet. OK.. here it is....

So, the options are....

A. The Scenic Railway Tour consists of 30-mile train ride and circles the island is approximately 4 hours. This tour departs from and returns to our Needsmust Station which is located at the airport.

B. The Rail/Bus Combo Tour consists of a 18 mile train ride and 12 miles by Bus. This options provides you with opportunity to see the island by Rail and Road. The tour is timed to take 3 hours and 30 minutes total, with 2 hours 30 minutes spent on the rail trip. (NOW AVAILABLE TO ALL PASSENGERS)

The site posted prices as US$89.00 grown ups US$44.50 kids (3-11 years). So it seems to me as if the pricing is NOT as steep as I thought I read elsewhere. You suppose we coule get a discout if we got everyone of the 95 folks doing the pajama party to go on this rail tour? Naturally, we'd all do the rail tour in our pajamas! :rolleyes:

page4.2.jpg
train_sm.jpg

#12​

sounds like a nice trip but it doesn;t seem like it stops anywhere (ie. beaches, waterfalls, etc) or goes through the rain forest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter