• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sept. or January?

As always, when there are 2 choices... two sets of opinions will follow! It comes down to personal preference. January seems to have more rehabs and closings, and there is only one water park open, and only on days that are deemed warm enough at that.

That said, I would pick January hands down. I don't mind a coat or jacket but foundthe heat and humidity nearly killed most of us when we went in Sept. Our strategy each day centered around heat survival, not crowds or anything else. And it rained every single day, and not just cloudbursts, either. Torrential rains, and t-storms, for more hours than not per day. I hear that we hit an extremely wet spell... 13 days of it... but that was not enough to ever lure me back in that timeframe.

I know others want heat when travelling to Florida, particularly when coming fro winter at home, but as long as I don't have to shovel, I feel I have escaped the winter.

This was our experience as well. Heat survival LOL!!

We've been in both January and September. This really comes down to if you can handle the heat and prefer that to the possibility it could be chilly in January.

Our January trip was amazing. The weather was beautiful and the crowds were very low. Full disclosure... it's been 6 years since that January trip and it sounds like the crowds have gotten much worse since then.
There's also BTG to consider in January.

Now to September.. the heat for both of our September trips was absolutely brutal. I'm not one who likes intense heat and humidity, in fact it was miserable for me. Add that to the fact the crowds were not low. September gets busier every year, this idea that keeps being pushed that September is really low crowds because the kids go back to school needs to end. I just don't think it's reality anymore. Yes.. the kids in the US go back to school but, WDW gets a huge international crowd, and some parents here don't seem to mind pulling their kids out of school. We saw lots of kids on both fall trips!

Compare September to traditionally higher crowded periods, I'm sure September looks better by comparison but, WDW has mastered bringing folks into their parks even in the traditionally "lower" periods. The differences between the months seems to get less and less each year.

I'm actually starting to think going against the grain is the way to go. Pick a moderately crowded month to go like May and maybe be thrilled when it isn't that bad. It maybe better than going when so many claim it will super low crowds and be disapppointed when it's actually pretty busy.

Just to chip in...

I moved to Florida from northern Indiana. I'm used to the cold. I'd rather be too warm than cold. Here's what I tell my northern friends. June-July-August it's like living on the sun. September is still warm and muggy. For me, winter was paradise. Nov-Dec-Jan usually highs in the 70s range. Word of warning...I laughed when my Florida friends told me this, but it's true. When it gets down below 45-50 degrees, let me tell you, that's a whole new kinda cold! Goes right through you! It's hit or miss. The evenings might be absolutely beautiful. My profile pic was taken mid-December. Shorts and a t-shirt. I've got another picture from the same time of year in jeans and a thick sweatshirt wishing I'd had a coat and gloves. You just don't know. January plan on a beautiful day, but be prepared for a freezing night. September's going to be warm/hot and muggy. Period.

Either way, have fun!

We've been in both January and September. This really comes down to if you can handle the heat and prefer that to the possibility it could be chilly in January . . .

I'm actually starting to think going against the grain is the way to go. Pick a moderately crowded month to go like May and maybe be thrilled when it isn't that bad. It maybe better than going when so many claim it will super low crowds and be disapppointed when it's actually pretty busy.

This sums it up well. Aside from the Easter and Christmas crowds, you should plan to travel when the "average temperature range" best suits your party, and let factors other than crowds influence the timing. Seasons of low crowd levels do not exist, with the entertainment giants constantly come up with ways to increase attendance during the relatively less busy times. They are very, very good at that job, too. Free dining anyone? Genius! Special events and festivals abound, keeping the calendar (and parks and resorts!) full.

I'm hoping for a bounce back next year in May. If not something in Feb. I want to try a different time. I have only been during sept and July.

Never been in January but our last trip was in September, the 3-10 and it was our favorite trip out of over 24 trips to WDW. It was hot! But it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.. some days it was actually perfect! It only rained 3 times the whole trip, and only once was it hours of rain on the 4th.. my family left MK because of it and I stayed until midnight and it ended up stopping around 10pm and it was such a fun night. The other times it rained, it was a quick shower/thunderstorm. The crowds were so low, especially after Labor Day.. they disappeared! Stormalong Bay at BC was empty the rest of the week and the CM's told me how it is one of their favorite times of the year because the crowds are practically nonexistent right after Labor Day. We enjoyed September so much, we are going back the same week this year.

I went a few weeks ago (late January) and the weather was so miserable that it was almost unbearable. 50s and raining. Not fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter