• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sensitive question. Anyone come back from WDW and was sick?

We’ve been 4 times since the reopening and have not gotten sick. Pre COVID Disney our kids would only get sick if we went to the water parks. As they’ve gotten older (5&7 now) the water park sickness seems to not affect them too much anymore. There was a time period that we would skip the water parks because of how bad they would get.

We've been there twice since reopening. Sept 2020 with two of us. No one got sick. Dec 2020 with 14 of us. No one got sick

Hello. I know that WDW has gone above and beyond to control any outbreaks of Covid. I was there last September and thought they did an amazing job. Will be returning in a few weeks.......(we are seniors). Just wondering if anyone was there recently and had gotten sick with Covid. We will be driving, not flying.

Sorry to bring up an unpleasant subject but....
We are Seniors and just returned from a 7 day WDW trip. No sickness, we felt very safe at disney

My son (who has allergies, etc.) almost always gets a little sniffly on Disney trips.

On this past trip, however, he was perfectly fine. In fact, his eyes were the clearest they've been in awhile. I think it's the enhanced cleaning they are doing (for DS, I'm thinking the rooms being cleaner/fresher helped).

I've been to Disney during Covid 3 times now, Sept. Dec and Jan. with family (the first 2 solo) and none of us have gotten sick. I have another trip planned for May (AP pass) and I'm a little nervous about the new strains being found here in the U.S. so we'll see if I don't cancel. So far so good. I fly, rent a car and do limited indoor dining. Mandated masks, spacing and cleaning at Disney have made us feel safe. My thought is if you leave your house, you take a risk everyday. We take all the precautions, mask, quarantine, test and follow the rules. On a side note, for all of my stress over visiting Disney, my husband and DD got Covid from my DD's SIL having a party and spreading it through two houses. Four of us in a house of 6 never got it, such a strange disease

I wanted to add that pre-covid we always wiped down all surfaces we touch on the airplane and sanitize the room upon check in. We always pack Lysol and wipes any time we stay at a hotel. This began after a few ruined trips to Disney where the kids caught a stomach bug. First time they were little and I thought it was from the pool. Second time late teens so I know it wasn’t from swallowing the pool water this time lol. Since then we take all necessary precautions. I’ve visited WDW twice since Covid and so far so good. Checking in this Friday and hope our good fortune continues.

We went in January and all were tested (for return to work and school) upon return. No one got sick, all tested negative. Enjoy!

We went in August and no one got sick. We are planning on going again in June as long as I’m able to be vaccinated first. Numbers are higher. There’s more variants. DH has already been vaccinated and I should be able to when the next phase opens up.

just wanted to confirm - we took tests and came up negative. i felt pretty confident and we followed protocol the entire trip, but it's some peace of mind

Somewhere between zero and hundreds of thousands have returned from WDW with Covid and have killed between zero and thousands of innocents as a result.

No one knows where the numbers fall on those scales.
this is the truest post here.... it's the only truth we can all verify. Anything else? up to you if you want to take the chance (speaking to OP)

My daughter (13) and I went in November. Honestly, we usually come home having caught something, but this time we didn't.

Disney is not safer than home quarantine, but it's a lot better than most places. We opted for almost no indoor dining, were conscientious about our surroundings, and avoided anything that seemed more crowded than our comfort level.

In addition to enforcing masks, Disney has put a lot of thought into crowd management to enable physical distancing. However, some lines have switch-backs and standing markers that are just not well thought out and many groups take up more than the social distancing space allotted. Going around corners can be tricky if you think the group in front is moving and then they aren't and the group behind follows you. Very often I let a whole space go between us and the group in front of us, but it was hard to manage the group behind. I had to say something a couple times. I don't think folks were being intentionally neglectful, they are just on vacation and we are all trained to keep lines tight.

The part of that trip that felt riskiest was the airport waiting for our return flight. MCO has not thought about managing people at all. Their whole strategy is put up some signs. The food court was the worst. There was no way to be 6 feet from people while pickup up dinner.

(And Magic Express on the way there - Groups are not really seated 6 feet apart and I had to ask the family behind us to please put their masks back on. The sat down and immediately began eating in spite of several announcements about staying masked and one parent pulled down her mask even though she wasn't eating. They grumbled and glared but complied. We opted for Lyft with open windows on the way home also to not have to worry kicking around the airport for an extra hour before our flight.)

We had a trip planned for this week, but let it go (sadly our last chance on this annual pass). I'm the only member of my family who is vaccinated and two who wouldn't be traveling are higher risk, so we would have had to post-trip quarantine away from them upon return. That, the higher risk transit concerns, and some personal obligations making this week less than ideal pushed us to cancel. The numbers in Florida have been steadily dropping since we made the call (like by 25%) but they are still more than twice as high as when we went in November.

We were there 12/18/2020 till 1/2/2021…family of four, didn't get sick.

A few extra notes hope you guys find helpful...

Things we did increased our exposure to COVID risks:
  1. Picked the most crowded time of the year
  2. Hit the parks 16 days in a row.
  3. Had table services, indoor, 14 days in a row.
  4. We were cautious, but not religiously cautious, for multiple occasions each day, we’d find we got stuck in a pretty bad crowd.
  5. No Fastpass, so daily we spent a good deal of time waiting in line for rides, some of them were particularly bad, notably, Flight of Passage, always super long with a good portion indoors.
  6. Kids (8 and 6) played in pools quite a bit, they were not good at social distancing at all!

Things we did that could mitigate risks:
  1. Mask, mask, mask!
  2. Good awareness of social distancing, from time to time, there were people either not wearing masks properly, or kept talking and laughing while eating. In that case, we either walked away immediately, or stayed 12 feet away if waiting in line.
  3. Hand sanitizers, they were all over the parks and resorts, and we used it almost every time we saw one, could be >20 times per day.
  4. We drove, almost completely avoided public transportations except two or three occasions we used boat/train. The mentality, ‘if we are to catch virus, let’s catch it at the end of the trip’, so on the day we left for Disney, we drove overnight for 18 hours!
Other observations:
  1. QS is not necessarily safer than table services, for example, we ate at ABC Commissary at HS, an outdoor table, but there were so many people around us, waiting to pick up meals, or just passing by, and I didn’t see much of social distancing.
  2. TS restaurants we felt fairly safe, Topolino’s Terrace and California Grill, a little bit concerned, Mama Melrose and Skipper Canteen, but overall, we didn’t really feel nervous in any one of them.
  3. More than once I was struck by some form of mini panic, “why we are there?! What if...”, then I’d look in the direction of those CMs, they dealt with so so so many people on a daily basis yet remained OK, then good chance we should be OK. That actually provided relief…

It's amazing just how many people on here always get some sort of sickness after a WDW visit, pre Covid.
We go once a year, and one of us always gets sick usually the day before we leave. It's always respiratory related with bronchitis, strep throat, sinus infections. One time I got the sickest I have ever been on our last 2 days of our trip to disney. It was horrible with night sweats (I got up in the night and showered with my nightgown on it was so bad), high fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, nausea. That was the worst any of us have been at disney.
We always know that one of us will get some sort of respiratory illness on our yearly visits. It was just a fact.
My daughter brought antibiotics with her in case her family got sick (given by her doctor as they always got some sort of bacterial infection while at disney).
I don't know how visitors cannot get sick while at disney. It is a petrie dish of illnesses from all over the US and the world. If someone is sick before their trip, they won't cancel. Paying thousands of dollars for the trip with all the plans that are involved? I don't think too many would cancel, just thinking it would go away. With hundreds of people in close contact every day, it shouldn't be a surprise that alot of people get sick while at disney. (not talking about covid)

About covid: We were at disney Feb 27 to March 4th, 2020, right before the virus hit. We did not get sick at all.

Last edited:
With all the extra hand washing, masking, distancing and more cleaning, I wonder if fewer people are actually going home sick. I don’t mean just covid, but all the usual Disney illnesses.
yes, I think this is true in general...not just in Disney. All of my friends are talking about how our kids haven't gotten sick at all this school year (we've been back with masks). We've been to Disney twice now and so far so good...just got back Sunday so fingers crossed on this last one, but I was WAY more concerned about the flights than being in the parks/resorts.

I am just chiming in here because I know how my anxiety would be if I was needing answers. I went with my 18 year old daughter in the 1st week of August (2 weeks after the re-opening) and we flew on Southwest from Virginia and rented a car

I went again with my 18 year old daughter the 2nd week of December and again flew from Virginia and rented a car ...

neither of us got "normal sick" or thankfully not Covid

I will say I actually think that the precautions we take (masks, social distancing, obsessive hand washing, hand sanitizer) have kept us unusually healthy., and I say unusually, because "knock on wood" but this is the longest I've gone without contracting some sort of Upper Respiratory Thing or Head Cold of sorts. I have a low immune system (I have no thyroid) --but I still decided to go as my daughter was a Graduating Senior 2020 and everything was taken from her school wise, I couldn't see canceling her trip as well so we took a big risk and went.

I hope you continue to be well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter