Sell Me on Packing Cubes!

Texian@WDW

DIS Veteran
I like the idea of my clothes not falling out of my suitcase if airline handlers decide to open it. However, how do you organize your things?
Pants in one, shirts in another?
Or full day's outfits in one?
Just curious how you pack them and logic behind doing it that way.
Also, should I get 3 cubes for a suitcase that's just one size bigger than a carry on?

I'll be going to Ireland for 10 days with numerous overnights in different towns so I'm wondering how I would benefit using the cubes. TIA!

So 1. Look up KonMari method of folding. It will help conserve space, especially folding pants. 2. I use travel space bags (kind of similar to cubes but they take the air out).
I like to organize by outfits. So everything I need for one day for the family in one bag. Or two to three days of outfits in one bag per person. I do the whole family one day per bag because at the end of the day you take your pajamas out of a bag and put dirty clothes in. Next day clean clothes out pajamas in. This way clean and dirty clothes don't get mixed.

I do it by clothing type, because I like to check the weather and our plans for the day before I choose clothes. I love it for kid clothes especially. Pick a shirt from one cube, shorts from another, socks and undies from a 3rd. Done.
I got the sets from e-bags so have a variety of sizes and shapes. Also use them for shoes to keep them away from clothes ( we have hard suitcases), chargers/cameras, pool stuff....endless choices to help organize.

Just got some today and I am so excited to get them I got 8 cubes for around $35 then 3 more for $25 can not wait to get them I have been looking at them for a few months now

I use the rolling technique for packing. For small things like undergarments, scarves, and PJs, I pack in a gallon sized zip lock bag and squeeze all of the air out. For my last business trip, I was able to pack enough for 14 days in just a small 21inch carry on. This was in December where I was in South Dakota (middle of a snow storm) so everything was slacks, sweaters & boots. I've never used packing cubes, but I have heard great things. When my family flies to Disney World this September, I am just going to pack each kid's outfit together in a zip loc bag and use the rolling method again. .

I use the rolling technique for packing. For small things like undergarments, scarves, and PJs, I pack in a gallon sized zip lock bag and squeeze all of the air out. For my last business trip, I was able to pack enough for 14 days in just a small 21inch carry on. This was in December where I was in South Dakota (middle of a snow storm) so everything was slacks, sweaters & boots. I've never used packing cubes, but I have heard great things. When my family flies to Disney World this September, I am just going to pack each kid's outfit together in a zip loc bag and use the rolling method again. .
I'm going in sept too. The rolling method is how the KonMari method is. It helps with shorts and pants. And sheets.

I have not problem with space ( I drive ) but I like to be organized so hoping packing cubes will help

They are wonderful, I like the ones from Amazon. I do the same here - rolling method and organize according to category - tops in one, bottoms in another, swim suits in one and undergarments in another, etc. Makes everything so nice and neat and I think definitely saves space and most importantly time!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just received a set of 6 assorted sizes of Baglane cubes from Amazon. 2 large, 2 medium and 2 small. I'm not sure all my clothes will fit because my clothes are big and take up a lot of space :) but I'll definitely use them.

My life is forever changed by packing cubes. I travel a lot and pack a capsule wardrobe so packing cubes help me stay really organized.

I generally go with the roll-up method but if I'm really trying to save space, the army roll is a game-changer. The benefits of the roll up method is you can see your clothes clearly and it reduces wrinkling. You can look all this up on Youtube.

I like to pack tops in one bag, bottoms in another, and all else in another bag (undies, bras, pjs, socks, swimsuit).

And I always pack the clothes on the flat side of the suitcase to maximize the space. The side with the frame attached is best for smaller objects like shoes and toiletry bags.

I use a combination of Heys, Muji, and another brand I can't remember the name of...depending on the size of my suitcase/carry-on/backpack. My favourites are the Muji ones because they are good quality, very thin, very light, and pack up into a small thing when not-in-use. Also very reasonable pricing!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just received a set of 6 assorted sizes of Baglane cubes from Amazon. 2 large, 2 medium and 2 small. I'm not sure all my clothes will fit because my clothes are big and take up a lot of space :) but I'll definitely use them.

Your clothes will fit. Look up any rolling clothes method that will work for you. I personally love KonMari but there are others.

I roll up my clothes, too. I pack similar things together...all t-shirts in one cube, all shorts in another, etc. probably because I don't do outfits (everything is mix and match).

I converted to using packing cubes once TSA started opening more bags.

One advantage to using packing cubes if you are packing for several people is that you can put some of each person's clothes into each suitcase, in case one suitcase gets lost. And then when you reach your destination everyone can easily grab their own cubes. This is especially handy if you have multiple bedrooms at your destination.

I really like the Eagle Creek packing cubes. I used to use ziplock bags for packing, but they didn't hold up. The packing cubes get thrown in the wash at the end of each trip and last for years.

I just got my paking cubes Saturday to bad my next Disney trip is just for the day ( but I might bring one cub) then I have my 4 of July trip can not wait to use it

I've never understood the appeal of these packing cubes and find them useless. When packing for any trip my formula is the same.

One outfit for each day of our trip and then one extra, just in case.
Same goes for socks and underwear.
Swimsuit and pajamas

Each day outfit is folded neatly, shorts, shirt and socks. That way my kids can lay out clothes the night before and have everything they need ready. Makes packing a breeze since each outfit is bundled.

OMG, my packing cubes have revolutionized my packing. It is a tremendous space saver! By using the cubes, I was able to fit 10 days worth of clothes/toiletries, etc. into one carry on bag - the Ebags TLS Motherlode. And yes, I took this on a trip to Europe. The packing cubes are designed to help maximize space - it doesn't really matter what brand you buy, just that the sizes are appropriate for your needs and the size of the bag. They also allow you to get really creative in filling every available space in your suitcase. Unless I'm doing a quick overnight trip, I use packing cubes for every trip I take. Invest in these one time in a variety of sizes and you won't regret it.

So I see some people are talking about packing cubes and others about the vacuum bags... I take it one step further and use vacuum bags and put them inside packing cubes. Not sure why I do that to myself :laughing: but it gives me SO much more space to bring everything I want to in the most organized way. If anyones interested in vacuum sealed bags I used eagle creek from amazon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter