Sedation Dentistry

cattrix

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done sedation dentistry? I am afraid of going to the dentist, almost to the point of phobia but I need to get some dental work done before a tooth starts hurting bad. Toothache pain is the worst!!

I made an appointment on Monday with a Sedation Dentist for my initial visit but was wondering if anyone else has experience with this. Do you actually remember the visit or anything about it?

Thanks

Why not just go to a regular dentis and request nitrous oxide (laughing gas) if you get too anxious?

Is sedation dentistry a specialty now? :confused3

I get sedated every time I have anything done. The gas is not enough for me, I get the gas while I wait for the sedation to take effect.

Yes I remember most of what goes on but I just don't care. :rotfl: I still get the injections for numbing, etc. The dentist talks to me and I answer questions, etc. I have no concept of time. Of course, my husband has to drive me and it's suggested that you are not left alone after the procedure for the rest of the day because you will think you are okay when really you are still under the effect of the sedation.

My reasons for doing this is that novacaine does not work on me like it does on most people. I have to have enough to kill a large animal to even have a small filling done as I'm immune to it. So it's just easier to get sedated so that I don't care about the discomfort. After years and years of terrifying dental experiences, I would glady play thousands of dollars per filling if necessary to be sedated.

Where I work we do IV sed for extraction of widsom teeth. It makes you sleepy, but you are aware of what is going on. Some young girls tend to cry during the pocess, not due to pain, but they just cry.

You will need someone to take you home. You are very sleepy when you are done.

Why not just go to a regular dentis and request nitrous oxide (laughing gas) if you get too anxious?

I actually get anxious before I even get into the Dentist office, then when I actually get there I freak out so the Gas really does me no good. It is something new that some Dentists are offering for me people like me that have let their teeth get worse without getting help because of fear. I know it sounds crazy.

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out a while ago I had the IV sedation, that was awesome and I wish that Dentists offered that because I would pay major bucks just to feel like I'm asleep then wake up and have my dental work done!

Where I work we do IV sed for extraction of widsom teeth. It makes you sleepy, but you are aware of what is going on. Some young girls tend to cry during the pocess, not due to pain, but they just cry.

You will need someone to take you home. You are very sleepy when you are done.

I did that but I was in my early 20s. I don't know why I was crying but I remember tears rolling down my cheeks. Don't remember anything else but I remember that.

I've consdidered checking into this.

Almost 20 years, I had to have emergency surgery, and they had to put the tube down my throat while I was awake. It was a very, very bad experience.

Due to that, I developed an exaggerated gag reflex. For a long time, it took me forever to brush my teeth because the toothbrush in my mouth would cause me to gag. It has improved some over the years, but it's still a problem.

I always went to the dentist every 6 months without fail from the time I was a child until I was an adult. Since that episode, I go much less often because of the problems with dental utensils in my mouth. Before Christmas I went to have my teeth cleaned and have a tooth looked at (the filling had fallen out over a year before, and it took that long to make myself go). Sure enough, when they tried to do a bitewing x-ray, the gagging started.

The whole thing really frustrates me, because as a child, I always loved to go to the dentist (we had the best, no doubt). Now, we see his son, but I'm going to have to do something else, I think (just afraid it might not work either). By the way, my dentist doesn't use gas so that's not an option.

I'm terrified of the dentist too, but need to go. I haven't been in more than 15 years. How did you find this dentist. I would love to find one in my area that does sedation.

For some, gas is not enough.

When I was in high school, I had to have work done. I first had to take a prescribed relaxer. Then I went in and they gave me gas. I was still hysterical. so much to the point that I actually bit the dentist without even realizing it.

I haven't been to the dentist since then and I went to the orthodonist for the last time my senior year in high school.

I once even made a deal with the dentist. That he could drill on my teeth without giving me any thing if I sat really still. Yep. I was so afraid of the shot that I had my teeth drilled on without anything for the pain. I was about 10 or so at the time. My mom was furious when she found out.

I'm terrified of the dentist too, but need to go. I haven't been in more than 15 years. How did you find this dentist. I would love to find one in my area that does sedation.

I just went to Google and entered Sedation Dentistry, they have a whole list of Dentists that practice this now so hopefully you can find one close to you.
Good Luck :thumbsup2

I also have a dental phobia and it's definitely a pain to deal with. Even just thinking about going to the dentist makes me anxious and tense. My previous dentist was good, but very old school and wouldn't prescribe anything to help me relax (also wouldn't give me gas).

Although he's an hour and a half away, I now go to my brother to have dental work done. He's up on the latest techniques and I'm not afraid to tell him how bad something is hurting me (novacaine doesn't work very well or very long on me either). I have to go in next month and have a tooth prepped for a cap (and possibly a root canal, which he would send me to an endodontist for) which really freaks me out.

DB's given me a prescription for something to relax me before I get there. I've tried Xanax the last two times I had work done and it really didn't do much. He gave me a different script for this one though. Something one of the other dentists uses a lot with her military patients to help them relax. We'll see how it works. DB is also going to give me a nerve block? or something like that to numb all the nerves on the lower left side of my jaw and face, where he is working. I don't mind the needles at all, since I know they will help take away the pain. If this new script doesn't work, I may have to find a sedation dentist, at least for cleanings (DB only charges for materials used-which is a big savings!).

I've always said the best dental procedure I've ever had was having 4 impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed in the hospital. I don't remember anything and had no problems afterwards. If I could be knocked out like that for all dental work, I'd be there every 6 mo for my cleanings.

My late wife had extreme needlephobia. She went to a sedation dentist. He gavbe her a couple of pills to take about an hour before arriving. When we got there she was not asleep, but I needed to help her out of the car and guide her to walk into the office.

When she got into the chair, he had no problem putting an IV into her for the sedation and was able to get all the work done as she was totally relaxed. After he was finished she was in a regular chair until she sort of woke up. Then I walked her back into the car and when we got home got her into bed. She finally would wake up a few hours later with no pain and not remembering anything from a little after she had taken the pills until she woke up.

On visits where there was not any operative work, such as adjusting dentures, she would still take the pills beforehand but since no tools or needles were involved she wuld be in the chair. Then she did remember being worked on, but while he was doing things in her mouth she had no problems.

I just called a dentist that advertised sedation dentistry yesterday. They told me it costs $395 off the bat, not covered by insurance!! Is that normal? I decided to go to them but not get the sedation. They specialize in helping people with phobias so I hope that includes awake people with phobias.

My dental experiences have run the gamut from having 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out in one go under local anesthetic to having Halcion for a root canal. For years I had a horrific needle phobia. Once I was past the needles, I was okay. Nitrous oxide takes forever to work on me.

By far and away though, the Halcion was the best. My daddy took me to the endodontist, I sat down in the chair, and whammo! I was out like a light. And I am not easy to sedate. You might want to give something like Halcion a try.

Valium does nothing for me, it might as well be a sugar pill.

But the best thing of all, in the long run, is to seek help for the underlying phobia. Phobias are very treatable. I got treatment for my needle phobia and it worked so well that I recently received a key chain from my local blood bank for reaching the 1 gallon mark in blood donations.

Good luck!

I get sedated every time I have anything done. The gas is not enough for me, I get the gas while I wait for the sedation to take effect.

Yes I remember most of what goes on but I just don't care. :rotfl: I still get the injections for numbing, etc. The dentist talks to me and I answer questions, etc. I have no concept of time. Of course, my husband has to drive me and it's suggested that you are not left alone after the procedure for the rest of the day because you will think you are okay when really you are still under the effect of the sedation.

My reasons for doing this is that novacaine does not work on me like it does on most people. I have to have enough to kill a large animal to even have a small filling done as I'm immune to it. So it's just easier to get sedated so that I don't care about the discomfort. After years and years of terrifying dental experiences, I would glady play thousands of dollars per filling if necessary to be sedated.

How is this different? This is exactly how I am with .25mg of xanax and gas; I can listen, talk, no concept of time, just don't care...

I guess I don't understand the difference?

I am petrified of the dentist. I am so scared I thought I'd just die from a tooth infection traveling to my heart rather than go to the dentist. The fear was actually taking over my life, affecting my sleep, worrying me, you name it.

I needed 2 root canals back in early fall. Actually only one but #2 would soon be trouble so since it was going to be numb, just do both and get it over with. It my tooth had not hurt so badly, I doubt I'd have went in. I was in too much pain to allow myself to die, LOL!

Anyway, one trip led to another and I am in the process of replacing my front 4 crowns with 6. This is costing a fortune :eek: but hopefully will be worth it. Last week I had 4 root canals and 2 weeks before that I had crown lengthening and a bit of work done to a traumatized and neglected jawbone.

I had gas for all of this and I suppose I am very fortunate to go to a Dr. who uses it because there is no way on earth I could stand it otherwise. I do not mind the drilling, the needles or even the cutting :scared1:--I hate impressions with a passion and I hate that isolation band thingee they use. I am obviously claustrophobic.

My dentist is doing all of these procedures in his office. The surgery (with laser!), the root canals, and the crowns (I get temps in 2 weeks!! yay!). I sit in a chair that massages your back gently while you lay there and it has a bathroom right in the room--good thing because next visit is approx. 4 hours!:scared: I feel sure he'll be buying another massage chair (and maybe a Mercedes!) when he's through with me.

Let me tell you this though. The fear of the dentist was making my life miserable. I worried about it daily and dreamt about it at night. I woke up sweating, sick, trembling, panicked. I have lived like this for approximately, I don't know, close to 8 years maybe? I have never told anyone how afraid I was. Ever. I couldn't even talk my own child to the dentist (she is 15). DH or his mom had to take her--I could not go in the office.
Please do not let your fear snowball like this. I am sure all of this has taken a terrible toll on my whole body and being.
My dentist office is so kind and so willing to work through this with me. I would advise someone to just make a consult appointment and then go from there. Some Dr. may want to fool with a big chicken and some may not. One of the girls in my Dr.'s office thinks of poor people like me a challenge.

Work through this fear. Be good to yourself for small victories and large ones. I told the girls in the office that while I have been so afraid for so long and having nightmares and such, I never figured gas into the equation. gas makes it all bearable to me and if sedation is different and works for you--DO IT! Do what it takes! Honestly, my life will change when this is over and I have a prettier smile and a better functioning bite. Plus, I will have tackled my greatest fear!

OP, you can do this!:woohoo: And when you do, you will be so proud of yourself!!! Good luck!!!

I just called a dentist that advertised sedation dentistry yesterday. They told me it costs $395 off the bat, not covered by insurance!! Is that normal? I decided to go to them but not get the sedation. They specialize in helping people with phobias so I hope that includes awake people with phobias.

Yikes! That's a lot of $$$ right off the bat esp. when you add in any work that might need doing!
Maybe it would be worth it if it could get you through something awful but I am not sure about a filling or something that "easy".

I'm betting you'll find them kind to cowards! First time I went into my Dr., he said to me, "I hear you are really afraid of the dentist (he is DH's dentist too). Will you even open up for me?" I was like :rotfl: "Sure. That's why I am sitting here but I have to warn you...I had to take a xanax to even call your office to get the appointment!"
I didn't know not opening was an option, :laughing: I wonder if people really go and then won't open their mouths?:confused3

Good luck at the new office. I hope they are as good to you as my office has been to me.
BTW, my office already liked me because when DH goes, he takes them treats and has done this for years. Ice cream sandwiches, donuts etc. every visit. I didn't know it until back in the fall and we've been married for 21 years! :rotfl:
I don't take treats. I'm a treat enough, I'm sure!!:rotfl2:

My dental experiences have run the gamut from having 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out in one go under local anesthetic to having Halcion for a root canal. For years I had a horrific needle phobia. Once I was past the needles, I was okay. Nitrous oxide takes forever to work on me.

By far and away though, the Halcion was the best. My daddy took me to the endodontist, I sat down in the chair, and whammo! I was out like a light. And I am not easy to sedate. You might want to give something like Halcion a try.

Valium does nothing for me, it might as well be a sugar pill.

But the best thing of all, in the long run, is to seek help for the underlying phobia. Phobias are very treatable. I got treatment for my needle phobia and it worked so well that I recently received a key chain from my local blood bank for reaching the 1 gallon mark in blood donations.

Good luck!

Halcion is the name of the new drug my DB prescribed before going to him for dental work. I hope I have the same level of relaxation as you did from it.

Can I ask what you did to treat your phobia? I've actually considered seeing if I could be hypnotized to get past it, but I'm not sure if that works with phobias.

I had behavior modification therapy using progressive relaxation and desensitization through exposure to the object of my fear. The important thing is to approach the phobia in a new way. Phobias are learned responses, so they can be unlearned and fairly easily too. The more you run away from it, the bigger and scarier the fear becomes. But if you learn the techniques that can help you relax and then bit by bit expose yourself to the thing that you fear under controlled circumstances, you can overcome your fear. The fact that your DB is a dentist could be handy. You can practice sitting in the chair, seeing the dental instruments, and other things as your desensitization progresses. It's very empowering and liberating.

Meanwhile, I hope the Halcion works for you.

I would love to get this but the cost is too much for me at least at the one place I went to. I did just get zoom whitening done and did ok with that. I have an appt for a cavity fill and half a deep cleaning on the 28th. NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT. The laughing gas does nothing for me other then make me try and suck in as much as possible, I swear they didn't use enough of the stuff at my last dentist. I don't mind the numbing, I don't mind the pain, I hate the noise and vibration of the drill and the noise of the scrapping. I am taking my ipod too as I don't even like to have the dentist talk to me about anything. They think that because they are interested in it you must be too, umm no I just want it over with and to get home and pass out. My husband did find a new dentist that has connections to his co worker at work and they are better and in the back of my mind I have the fact that I can't embarrass him by making a scene. I have actually had dental staff chase me down in the parking lot trying to coax me back in. I take a REAL high dose of xanax to get through just the cleaning.
I sure hope this works for you I am starting to panic just thinking about my appt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter