Second opinion for polyp/hysterectomy?

Mrs.Milo

DIS Veteran
At well woman check Dr found a uterine polyp, biopsy was negative. But Dr wants to do total hysterectomy. This was initial visit as I am a new resident in this area, 71 years old. I have already told him I don’t want to do it at this time, seems to be unnecessary? I’ve read that 12% of these surgeries have some kind of Complication.
6 years ago I had a large uterine polyp removed under general surgery, this doctor says I should have had a hysterectomy then. Would you get a second opinion, or just ask to have the polyp removed? Thanks for your replies

It never hurts to get a second opinion. I'd also try to seek out recommendations for a doctor from other women who have had the same experience.

I'd get a second opinion from the biggest hospital I could reach and then ask why they are giving the recommendations.

I just had ovaries out and while it wasn't fun I now know those bits can't hurt me anymore, so it's a relief to have it behind me and know I won't be dealing with trouble as I age and surgeries become harder and harder on my body. I was asking about getting it all out and they said not to so it's not a knee jerk recommendation, I'd assume there is a good reason you are hearing it as a suggestion. A good line of questioning to ask is whether these will slow down or increase as you age. You might be ok with it at 71 but will it be doable at 81 or is it possible health will make them inoperable and then you are stuck with pain? This would be my concern it it was me.

I'd have the hysterectomy. My mom just dealt with hysterectomy from uterine cancer at age 81. You don't need it and it can cause other problems down the line when it's much harder to cope.

I had one four years ago. It is a long recovery and is painful for the first few weeks but it’s totally worth it.

At well woman check Dr found a uterine polyp, biopsy was negative. But Dr wants to do total hysterectomy. This was initial visit as I am a new resident in this area, 71 years old. I have already told him I don’t want to do it at this time, seems to be unnecessary? I’ve read that 12% of these surgeries have some kind of Complication.
6 years ago I had a large uterine polyp removed under general surgery, this doctor says I should have had a hysterectomy then. Would you get a second opinion, or just ask to have the polyp removed? Thanks for your replies
I would get a 2nd opinion. If the polyp was not cancerous or pre-cancerous, it is not standard to perform a hysterectomy. Instead, you do a hysteroscope to only remove the polyp.

I have had a uterine polyp four different times in the last 8 years. Each of them was removed through a D & C, an outpatient procedure that takes 15 minutes for the actual surgery. They all were benign, as is usually the case for uterine polyps. Recovery time is just getting over the anesthesia, so not driving for 24 hours. I felt no ill effects.

I would most definitely get a second opinion!

Which surgery do they want to use to to do? That would weigh heavy into my consideration.

Have you researched on hystersisters? That's a great message board resource.

I had everything removed but my cervix. It was suppose to be laparoscopic and I woke up cut like a c section. Obviously that made for a much harder recovery. I have zero regrets and love not having any of those things to worry about, but I was 43. Recovering from that surgery at 70 would be difficult. I think some of the other methods would be great though.

I would definitely get a second opinion. Some doctors seem to think that you no longer need a uterus so just take it out. Hysterectomy is always on the list of most unnecessary surgeries performed, it's major surgery and should not be taken lightly.

Did you ask the doctor what his rationale is for recommending a hysterectomy in this instance? He must’ve had a reason. Were there other considerations besides just the polyp? Maybe he knows something you don’t? This requires a conversation with this doctor and any others you get another opinion from. Be careful you’re not just trying to find a doctor who tells you what you want to hear. You want the right information.

Did you ask the doctor what his rationale is for recommending a hysterectomy in this instance? He must’ve had a reason. Were there other considerations besides just the polyp? Maybe he knows something you don’t? This requires a conversation with this doctor and any others you get another opinion from. Be careful you’re not just trying to find a doctor who tells you what you want to hear. You want the right information.
Of course, the doctor should have just told her his/her rationale when the doc recommended something that is not the norm. That the doc didn't would be a red flag for me using him/her, even if the 2nd opinion agrees with the 1st doc. I'd probably use the 2nd opinion to perform the eventual treatment, too.

Definitely get a second opinion. There are a lot of complications that can come from a hysterectomy. It is not the standard recommendation just because of benign polyps. Like someone stated above; it is the one of the most unnecessary surgeries performed.

Of course, the doctor should have just told her his/her rationale when the doc recommended something that is not the norm. That the doc didn't would be a red flag for me using him/her, even if the 2nd opinion agrees with the 1st doc. I'd probably use the 2nd opinion to perform the eventual treatment, too.
Perhaps he did but there was some sort of miscommunication with the OP, or, she just didn’t share it here.

A hysterectomy may be one of the “most unnecessary surgeries”, but it can also save lives. After two D & C’s my GYN told me I needed a hysterectomy because they detected precancerous cells. I didn’t want the surgery. I hate surgery and I had a Disney trip planned. I asked if we could hold off for a year and she said that it could be full blown cancer by then. I was so glad I had it as they found a large benign tumor on one ovary, fibroids and endometriosis. I had a full hysterectomy at age 58. None of these were detected during the D & Cs.

I’d get a second opinion with a mess invasive ob/gyn. There are lots of options beyond hysterectomy. But you need a dr well versed in less invasive surgeries.

My doctor always orders an ultrasound or a trans-vaginal ultrasound before moving to a D and C. Fibroids definitely show up on that (that is how I know I have two small ones) and I would imagine a large tumor on an ovary would too.

Precancerous cells are another thing, of course. My D and C results (scrapings taken from several areas) were always completely benign, and I did not have precancerous cells.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter