• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seats and Sweets logistics

maleficent55

DIS Veteran
I was under the impression the tables at the Tomorrowland terrace were first come, first serve.

Now I’m hearing they’re assigned. What’s the latest?

Ours were assigned at the end of June 2023. Plenty of tables still open by the railing when we checked in, but they would not allow us to move from our assigned seat.

We have done four Sweets and Treats parties this year and it was first come, first served at all of them. The latest was last week of September.

i hope they haven’t changed this because I recently picked up one in early December on a date that was originally sold out.

Every time we've done it over the past 5+ years it has been first come first served, the latest being this September. I will note, in September the "gates" opened much earlier than we've ever seen before, like 2 hours prior to the actual fireworks (typically we get in line about 1.5 hours before and have a 10-15 minute wait before they open up). We're usually some of first guests, but were behind the curve this trip!

We did seats and sweets tonight and our seats were assigned. When we checked in they had someone lead us to our table.

Incidentally, it was in a terrible location; I couldn't see half the fireworks because they were behind a pole, and we couldn't hear a lot of the music because the people mover recording was playing right next to us. We've done seats and sweets 3 times before and people always stood at the railing for fireworks, but this time everyone stayed in their seats so I did, too. In any case, if they try to seat you just to the right of the check in area and entrance near the big tomorrowland light up pole, insist on being moved.

Out of curiosity, the people who were assigned seats, did you have parties larger than two? We've almost always been a party of two (once a party of one) and have always been able to select our seats, however the vast majority of the tables have been set up for parties of two when we've gone. The one time I went by myself the CM said there was a table set up for just one which would be mine, but in the end she couldn't find it so I got to pick my seat once again. So just wondering if the assigned seats are for parties other than two where there are a limited number of tables set up for them.

We'll be a party of three in a few weeks so I need to set my expectations! :rotfl2:

Out of curiosity, the people who were assigned seats, did you have parties larger than two? We've almost always been a party of two (once a party of one) and have always been able to select our seats, however the vast majority of the tables have been set up for parties of two when we've gone. The one time I went by myself the CM said there was a table set up for just one which would be mine, but in the end she couldn't find it so I got to pick my seat once again. So just wondering if the assigned seats are for parties other than two where there are a limited number of tables set up for them.

We'll be a party of three in a few weeks so I need to set my expectations! :rotfl2:
We were a party of 2 and our seat was assigned.

Interesting theory, we have been a party of 2 every time in past few years. Since they know the composition of parties, in that sense, there likely is a bit of pre-assignment for larger tables no matter what.

But I do wonder if there might be some confusion about the process - possibly just semantics - here that is muddying the waters. We have always had a hostess take us to our table, it isn’t a free for all and they don’t let you choose your seats but that isn’t the same as pre-assignment IMO. There are usually 7-8 tables for 2 in front and I believe they give them out starting on far left facing castle and then fill across, so first couple checking in gets that one and then they fill in either all together or skipping every other table and then filling those in. I watched this in action last party where it happened to be five parties of 2 at front of line around us and we all ended up being seated in the order we were lined up around that perimeter.

Again, just my opinion and experience.

Interesting theory, we have been a party of 2 every time in past few years. Since they know the composition of parties, in that sense, there likely is a bit of pre-assignment for larger tables no matter what.

But I do wonder if there might be some confusion about the process - possibly just semantics - here that is muddying the waters. We have always had a hostess take us to our table, it isn’t a free for all and they don’t let you choose your seats but that isn’t the same as pre-assignment IMO. There are usually 7-8 tables for 2 in front and I believe they give them out starting on far left facing castle and then fill across, so first couple checking in gets that one and then they fill in either all together or skipping every other table and then filling those in. I watched this in action last party where it happened to be five parties of 2 at front of line around us and we all ended up being seated in the order we were lined up around that perimeter.

Again, just my opinion and experience.
And this just makes it even more confusing, starting to think it depends on the CMs working that evening! :rotfl: While we've always had a hostess lead us in and show us the desserts and drinks, we also have been asked if we have a preference on where we want to sit, so get to pick whatever table we want. I think if people don't care they seat them at the ends first, but the tables towards the middle along the railing have filled up first. Although again, there have always been far more than just 7-8 2-top tables along the railing on the nights we've gone, and all but one time every table along the railing has been set up for two people. So maybe that's why we've always gotten lucky and have been able to pick our seats. :confused3

When we checked in they led us to a table and said "these are your seats" so it seemed like it was preassigned, but I honestly have no idea. We didn't get to choose the seats, though.

There were plenty of parties of 2 behind us who got seated in the main area, while we were in the side area near the entrance, so they didn't seem to be seating in order of arrival.

Idk if it matters, but I picked up the reservation just last week, so I did kind of wonder if it was an IT glitch and then they had to add an extra table, as we had the whole area to ourselves (and then no fireworks view 🤣).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter