• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci Fi Dine In- Yay or Nay?

Slw814

Earning My Ears
Hi! For years we have wanted to try Sci Fi Dine In and have not been able to get a reservation. This year, we were able to get an 8:55 pm reservation for three adults. I was told that since we are three, we will be sitting in an awkward way and also that the place is very dark and loud. We also will be missing the fireworks. Is it worth it to go to Sci Fi Dine In? Or would you suggest not to try it out? I’m open to any advice and insight. Thank you!

You can request not a car with the three rows, but not sure what you'd end up with (picnic table or car with big table) and I agree 9:00 at night is not ideal. I'm positive 3 adults would not fit in one row in the car.

I think it's best for a lunch on a hot day.

The "flying saucer" tables at the back are often available to walk-ins. This way, you'd all be seated at one table, and you could eat at a more normal time. You'd miss the experience of dining in a car, but it sounds like you're not keen on doing that with three people, anyway.

Agreeing with other posters, I wouldn't go for dinner as late as 8:55PM.

To each their own but this was a swing and a miss for our family. We also had a phone hidden under our seat ringing and dinging every 1-2 minutes the entire meal as someone lost it and was looking for it. Fun fact: the hollow seat area is just perfect acoustics to make you think you are just losing your mind sitting there hearing dings for an hour without knowing what exactly you were hearing. Added bonus fun fact: if you lose your phone don’t keep pinging it and maybe return to places you were sitting.

The theming of Sci-Fi is amazing. I think it’s one of the best on property. Yes, it’s dark, and the film has to be loud enough to hear. If you’re looking for a quiet meal where you can talk to one another this is not the place for you. Personally I don’t like talking much while I’m in there. I’m paying Disney prices for the atmosphere, and a huge part of the atmosphere is enjoying the cheesy sci-fi clips and commercials, which is on a roughly 40mn loop.

When you check in you can request a normal table but you may have to wait longer. These have you face each other inbetween the front and back of the car but you are sideways to the screen, which makes it really hard to watch and eat. We tried that once and much prefer the two person benches that face the front.

I wouldn’t eat there so late and miss a show I’m interested in. Either get a new reservation through persistent checking or walk up shortly after opening to get a picnic table at the back.

Nay! Years ago I thought it was much better. Over the past few years we went twice, and both times the burgers were not very good. I think it is a place to go once and see if you like it, if you don't at least you get to experience the atmosphere which is fun, at least for a time or two.

We ate lunch there recently since the place next door was closed for renovation. Some enjoy sitting in those cars and the looking at the back of the other people in your party, some don't. We were able to get one of the regular tables around the perimeter. Food was just OK for lunch. The movie clips won't mean much to anyone over 50 yrs old. Seems like a good idea that is past its prime and needs a makeover.

The car-like tables with the seats that are perpendicular to the screen have eight seats, so if they even allow a party of three to sit there, they would probably seat you with a group of strangers.

I went there for lunch on my 2017 solo trip. It was kooky and I enjoyed the footage on the screen, but it's not a good place for easy conversation because of seating and darkness and all the rest. Food-wise, I just ordered the wings in BBQ sauce and while they tasted okay, they were SWIMMING in sauce so bad that you had to drench them out and let the sauce drip off. I wasn't impressed by that.

If you're looking for a unique experience, give it a go, but if you're looking for a more normal meal, try elsewhere. And I would definitely push for an earlier time in any case.

We, too, had never bend there and decided to go on our last trip... let’s just say we won’t be back. As part of a party of three, I was constantly having to turn around to the booth behind me to speak to the other two. I agree that it was very dark... seriously had trouble cutting my mediocre steak because I couldn’t see well. At least we could say we tried it once.

We love SciFi. This trip we have each child the opportunity to pick one place they absolutely had to go eat. DS8 picked SciFi. That being said, we eat lunch there, not dinner. I agree with PP, try for an earlier time. Obviously around the 60 day mark, 30 day mark and also day before are going to be your best bet for finding a different time. If you call / check daily i am almost certain you’ll have no problem moving the time. We sat at a regular table as a party if 5 2 trips ago, and although not as ‘fun’ the kids still loved it. I’ve been able to move ohana 3 times in the past 2 months, inching ever closer to a regular dinner hour... I’ve moved CRT on past trips as well. Keep the faith, keep the ADR... but move the time.

We have eaten there 5 years in a row (2012-2017) and the first 4 were great. Last year - not so much. The quality has gone down hill with both the service and the meals. I will say that it is dark and not loud but the atmosphere definitely not quiet and you have to turn around a lot to talk to those in the other seats. I would not shy away, it's a great experience, however, you reservation time is too late. I would try a walk in or reschedule. Ask the waiter to take a pic in the car - it will be a great reminder and they cool with the big screen in the background.

A party of three would be difficult due to seating. 3 in 1 row is not a good option.
We enjoy the atmosphere. The milkshakes are still great.
We have never had anything but their burgers there and they have always been very good.
Going again this fall.

This is a family favorite! The AC is awesome on a hot FL day! Funny, I have never thought of this restaurant as loud. I don't think I would want it at 9:00 pm. We usually go later than a typical lunch say around 3:00. Like I said, my family just loves the themeing and we have always enjoyed the food!

Hi! For years we have wanted to try Sci Fi Dine In and have not been able to get a reservation. This year, we were able to get an 8:55 pm reservation for three adults. I was told that since we are three, we will be sitting in an awkward way and also that the place is very dark and loud. We also will be missing the fireworks. Is it worth it to go to Sci Fi Dine In? Or would you suggest not to try it out? I’m open to any advice and insight. Thank you!
Im sorry, someone told you this place was LOUD??? :lmao::rotfl2: Wow! Whoever told you that clearly has never been inside the restaurant. SciFi is one of the quietest restaurants around. Everyone is busy (facing forward) watching the cheesy but awesome clips.

I absolutely love the theme at scifi. Its one of my fave places to eat. Yes you are in a car facing forward. Yes three is awkward because its two per row, so one person will eat alone...unless you ask for a regular table when you check-in (still within a car). Alternatively, there are the odd tables at the back of the restaurant reserved for walk-ins.

If you want to see the fireworks, then i would not dine here at 8:55pm. I'd keep looking for an earlier reservation.

I love Sci Fi. We go every trip. It’s dark and cool and quiet. You won’t really be able to talk during the meal but that’s what I like about it! Food is ok but the ambiance makes up for it.

Go for it! you won’t regret it. Is THE most quiet restaurant, awkward sitting? yes but isn’t the end of the world. I went with lower expectations about the food and was very impressed with my burger one of the best I’ve ever had. Have fun!!!

Big nay from me. The restaurant is eerily quiet. People act like it’s a real movie theatre. I enjoy talking to my family during meals, not staring at the back of their heads in silence.

Nay! Years ago I thought it was much better. Over the past few years we went twice, and both times the burgers were not very good. I think it is a place to go once and see if you like it, if you don't at least you get to experience the atmosphere which is fun, at least for a time or two.

I agree. I would go with 50’s PTC if they have an earlier ADR instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter