School shooting in Parkland, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather the lawmakers attempt SOMETHING than say, "Well, no solution, so nothing to do here."

If they try and fail, at least they tried. Better than pretending there is nothing to be done and sitting there with blood on their hands.

Totally agree. It is a horrible thought that nothing good may come of these atrocities.

Eh I wouldn't put much stock in that. The school in the district I grew up with the alternative school was for those who were pregnant (if they chose to go there vs staying in normal school), those who have difficulties in normal school be it because they just couldn't deal with how it was structured {not everyone can be successful in how average schools are structured} or because they had more behavior issues, etc.

Unless it was specifically listed that the alternate school was for troubled kids I'm sure as heck not going to paint that as the issue. I know of several people who went to the alternative school in our district who were NOT troubled. It just was where they could try and be more successful at schooling. My own sister-in-law went to the alternative school in her district before opting to go to online high school. It wasn't because she was troubled nor was the alternative school listed as 'school for the troubled'. She just for lack of a better description sucked at the normal structure for schooling.
It just depends. There are lots of different kids there for different reasons.

Of course. But you were the one who put a specific reason to what the alternative school was not I.

"I steered clear of him most of my time in the alternate school."

Sounds like he was not in the regular school, but in the school for troubled kids, for lack of a better term.

The problem is there are too many variables. Number of firearms, readiness of munitions, overall mental wellbeing of the populace, laws in act, licences, education...

I would rather the lawmakers attempt SOMETHING than say, "Well, no solution, so nothing to do here."

If they try and fail, at least they tried. Better than pretending there is nothing to be done and sitting there with blood on their hands.
Strongly disagree. Doing something just to do something does absolutely nothing. Let's do something that will actually help prevent these things from happening.

I don't think anyone is saying "nothing can be done, we simply have to live with this". I think they're saying "We don't know what can be done, and we shouldn't use emotions and knee jerk reactions just so it looks like we're doing something."

Not sure what you mean, but going to an alternative school usually means, to me, that there is a problem for which a student cannot be successful in the regular school, and often it's an indicator of someone troubled. YMMV
I don't know what you're confused on. You're the one who said "Sounds like he was not in the regular school, but in the school for troubled kids, for lack of a better term."

I just said I wouldn't leap to that conclusion as I know alternative schools are there for a variety of reasons not just singularly for troubled kids. You followed up with "It just depends. There are lots of different kids there for different reasons." which appeared to be in direct contradiction to your earlier comment that "Sounds like he was not in the regular school, but in the school for troubled kids, for lack of a better term."

Which is it? Alternative schools are there for troubled kids or alternative schools have lots of different students there for different reasons.

Strongly disagree. Doing something just to do something does absolutely nothing. Let's do something that will actually help prevent these things from happening.

I don't think anyone is saying "nothing can be done, we simply have to live with this". I think they're saying "We don't know what can be done, and we shouldn't use emotions and knee jerk reactions just so it looks like we're doing something."

I think it's more like "We don't know what can be done and we're certainly not going to authorize any study of the situation that could point to possible solutions because we're afraid the study would conclude we should do something that might be politically unpopular."

Not sure what you mean, but going to an alternative school usually means, to me, that there is a problem for which a student cannot be successful in the regular school, and often it's an indicator of someone troubled. YMMV

No, my DS #1 went to an alternate school, he also earned a full ride to Emerson. Sometimes square peg, round hole had nothing to do with troubled. That's the problem with labels.

I don't know what you're confused on. You're the one who said "Sounds like he was not in the regular school, but in the school for troubled kids, for lack of a better term."

I just said I wouldn't leap to that conclusion as I know alternative schools are there for a variety of reasons not just singularly for troubled kids. You followed up with "It just depends. There are lots of different kids there for different reasons." which appeared to be in direct contradiction to your earlier comment that "Sounds like he was not in the regular school, but in the school for troubled kids, for lack of a better term."

Which is it? Alternative schools are there for troubled kids or alternative schools have lots of different students there for different reasons"
That was in response to your post about pregnancies and what not, but whatever, that is MY experience.

It's heartbreaking for the victims and their families. it heartbreaking for the shooter and his families that he never got the help the needed It has been reported that this kid was deeply troubled.

We have got to stop trying ban guns and we have to to start to helping figure out a way to help trouble kids before they get to this point

I think it's more like "We don't know what can be done and we're certainly not going to authorize any study of the situation that could point to possible solutions because we're afraid the study would conclude we should do something that might be politically unpopular."
OK, I'll bite. WHO is saying that? I'm referring to people on this board, in this thread and others like it, specifically ME. I don't know what can be done. I'd be happy to support a study. I'd be happy to listen to practical suggestions that could be implemented without unintended consequences.

No, my DS #1 went to an alternate school, he also earned a full ride to Emerson. Sometimes square peg, round hole had nothing to do with troubled. That's the problem with labels.
I spent time in one myself. I know the range of students that are there.

Not all are well adjusted; some are very troubled.

That was in response to your post about pregnancies and what not, but whatever, that is MY experience.
o_O I think you're confusing or contradicting yourself or you're reading way too narrow tunneled into what I said.

Here's my statement again-
Eh I wouldn't put much stock in that. The school in the district I grew up with the alternative school was for those who were pregnant (if they chose to go there vs staying in normal school), those who have difficulties in normal school be it because they just couldn't deal with how it was structured {not everyone can be successful in how average schools are structured} or because they had more behavior issues, etc.

Unless it was specifically listed that the alternate school was for troubled kids I'm sure as heck not going to paint that as the issue. I know of several people who went to the alternative school in our district who were NOT troubled. It just was where they could try and be more successful at schooling. My own sister-in-law went to the alternative school in her district before opting to go to online high school. It wasn't because she was troubled nor was the alternative school listed as 'school for the troubled'. She just for lack of a better description sucked at the normal structure for schooling.

Pretty certain I gave multiple and broad reasons why students would be at an alternative school not just 'troubled kids' and def. not just for pregnant students.

Again I'm now confused on what you mean as you stated:
but then you stated

So again Which is it? Alternative schools are there for troubled kids or alternative schools have lots of different students there for different reasons.

Popcorn_nommer.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter