Saw something I have never seen before in CVS just now

I thought all ice cream, gelato, sorbet, sherbet (not sherbert, LOL) containers are wrapped in plastic (at the very least around the lid)? Do you have a bunch of ice-cream eating ninjas in your town? Lol!
Edys is made by Dreyers and Dreyers and all ice creams here are wrapped in plastic.

I have to check dates like a hawk at our local Meijer because product rotation doesn't seem to exist in their environment.

Milk has a "Sell By" date. You should get a minimum of 8 days after that date.
Depends on the weather and the fat content of the milk.
My wife's nephew managed a Supermarket in Texas and he stocked very little non-fat milk because it would go bad either before the expiration date, or in the time it was in the customers car driving home. Even a little fat in the milk, like 1%, was enough to prevent that.

I have to check dates like a hawk at our local Meijer because product rotation doesn't seem to exist in their environment.
That's why I like the Neighborhood Walmarts. The computer tracks all that. Their business model is to have 100% turnover of perishable items in 14 days, and 100% turnover of non-perishable items in 21 days. If a product doesn't turn over that quickly, they know, and they won't carry it anymore. Now, employees can make mistakes. I watched a lady try and buy a 6 pack of some Mexican beer I had never heard of, and it wouldn't ring up. Manager came over, went to the shelf, then the office and came back and said "we pulled this brand off the shelves yesterday because it wasn't selling, and an employee must have put it back out by mistaken, I'm afraid I can't sell it to you". Walmart is hard core.

It is sad that they do not check this stuff closer, and have up a sign like that to remind people to do it themselves. I know I do check that kind of thing myself. I once picked up a jar of mayonnaise at Family Dollar, it was outdated by like a week. I don't know if it would hurt you or not, but I did not buy it.

I never check dates because our local store seems to be pretty good at that. I saw them in the process of doing it once. It was depressing. A whole cart FULL of bacon, Bologna, turkey, sausages, ham. Such a waste. I hope they are able to do something besides just launch it into the garbage. Heck I'm not afraid of stuff a couple days expired.

As far as CVS that is just laziness. Or maybe cheapness. Idk. Making customers sort through your expired items..:rolleyes:..that's their job.

Depends on the weather and the fat content of the milk.
My wife's nephew managed a Supermarket in Texas and he stocked very little non-fat milk because it would go bad either before the expiration date, or in the time it was in the customers car driving home. Even a little fat in the milk, like 1%, was enough to prevent that.

I guess it depends on the state regulations - if any. Most states have a wide enough window mandated that you'll never get milk going bad before the sell by date. Texas must allow milk producers to put an expiration date instead of a sell by date.

That's why I like the Neighborhood Walmarts. The computer tracks all that. Their business model is to have 100% turnover of perishable items in 14 days, and 100% turnover of non-perishable items in 21 days. If a product doesn't turn over that quickly, they know, and they won't carry it anymore. Now, employees can make mistakes. I watched a lady try and buy a 6 pack of some Mexican beer I had never heard of, and it wouldn't ring up. Manager came over, went to the shelf, then the office and came back and said "we pulled this brand off the shelves yesterday because it wasn't selling, and an employee must have put it back out by mistaken, I'm afraid I can't sell it to you". Walmart is hard core.

It's really strange and caught me by surprise because I ended up buying expired items that I'd never even considered worrying about checking the date on. Milk, eggs, bread and other dairy I usually check regularly, but I find myself spending a great deal of time checking dates on every item I buy there now. Makes me wonder about the freshness of their deli, bakery and meat department to be honest. I really hope they come up with a much more effective way of rotation because what they're doing just isn't working.

I've never been in a Walmart Neighborhood Market, I'm assuming I don't have any local, but I do buy some groceries at our regular Walmart and have never had product date issues so maybe that is something they do in all their stores as well. Whatever they do, it seems to work.

There are several Tastykake drivers who are notorious for this. They're independent contractors, so I think all returns/out of codes means $ out of their own pockets. Yep, they slip in expired cakes with the new, or put the old stuff on the back of the shelves behind the new and hope nobody catches them. Soda vendors are supposed to give credit for damages/breakages (even if it's the fault of store employees or customers), but it's like pulling teeth to get them to comply.

And of course, some employees are too lazy to rotate milk and other perishables.
I had a milk guy try to deliver my milk under a 7 day mark, I called all the managers and let them know.

I check dates on everything. When I buy medicine anywhere, including CVS, I go for the one with the furthest date out. I don't want cold medicine that will expire in 6 months when I can get 18 months.

I do that as well. I will pick through the stock and many times the product further in the back has a longer expiration date.

I guess it depends on the state regulations - if any. Most states have a wide enough window mandated that you'll never get milk going bad before the sell by date. Texas must allow milk producers to put an expiration date instead of a sell by date.

Well, there is the confusion over just WHAT that date is, sell by, expires by, or best by.
I just looking at my milk just now , and it has a date, only, but doesn't WHAT that date means.
My orange juice says BEST BY.

Walmart does carry a line of Ultra-Pastuerized milk, that tends to be good for about 3 months, but it is more expensive.

Well, there is the confusion over just WHAT that date is, sell by, expires by, or best by.
I just looking at my milk just now , and it has a date, only, but doesn't WHAT that date means.
My orange juice says BEST BY.

Every state I've lived in it's a "Sell By" date, and it is guaranteed good for anywhere from 5 to 8 days past that date - depending on the state.

Think Montana had the most restrictive dating system because I remember a lawsuit there claiming millions lost in discarded good milk because of what they require.

Every state I've lived in it's a "Sell By" date, and it is guaranteed good for anywhere from 5 to 8 days past that date - depending on the state.

Think Montana had the most restrictive dating system because I remember a lawsuit there claiming millions lost in discarded good milk because of what they require.

This website seems pretty helpful. In Montana the date on the carton is 12 days pasteurization, and in neighboring Washington state, the law says it must be 21 days after pasteurization. So I can see where good milk could be tossed in Montana.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/58358/when-actual-expiration-date-your-milk

I can honestly say I have never checked dates on food as I am shopping.
About 90 percent of the time I do, and I swear to god, in that 10 percent that I don't, I end up with a lot of expired products. I bought pickles at a small produce store that, when I got home, were 2 YEARS past the expiration date.

I do that as well. I will pick through the stock and many times the product further in the back has a longer expiration date.
That is called rotating the stock. When I worked in a drugstore (not CVS) back in college, we were told to put the items that would expire the soonest in the front. But also pulled expired items but that was a once a week chore during down time. You marked off on the chart if you did it and what sections you got to do. When new stock came in that went behind the other items that were already on the shelf.

For example, if I only got to first aid before the store closed or we got busy, then I would mark that and someone else would continue on. It was more important to "front the store" each night, and all that meant was pulling the stock forward.

I have seen the signs the OP mentions in my CVS as well but in the OTC medicine section.

In Canada, only a few things have actual expiration dates - infant formula, medicines, etc. The rest of the dates are "best before" and they are based on a variety of things. In eggs, for example, it is based on the minimum number of days it would take salmonella bacteria (if there were some on the surface) to get through into the eggs. For milk, it is based on the number of days after pasteurization. It is unlikely that you would have a problem eating the food for several days after that date, and you would probably be able to tell (sour milk and rotten eggs are pretty obvious). Many of the dates on canned foods are just put there by the manufacturer largely to increase sales - properly canned foods will last for years (although the texture of some foods will not be good) after their "best before" dates.

I totally understand that and agree that is how it works. However, if I am buying a bottle of Tylenol today, I would not be happy picking the front bottle and having the expiration be 08/2016 expiration. I've had a very short expiration date one too many times. Even pulling from the back has been short at times.

That is called rotating the stock. When I worked in a drugstore (not CVS) back in college, we were told to put the items that would expire the soonest in the front. But also pulled expired items but that was a once a week chore during down time. You marked off on the chart if you did it and what sections you got to do. When new stock came in that went behind the other items that were already on the shelf.

For example, if I only got to first aid before the store closed or we got busy, then I would mark that and someone else would continue on. It was more important to "front the store" each night, and all that meant was pulling the stock forward.

I have seen the signs the OP mentions in my CVS as well but in the OTC medicine section.

It is called, FIFO, first in first out. But you still pull it out if it is expired

It is called, FIFO, first in first out. But you still pull it out if it is expired

Yes I know, my point was that sometimes that didnt happen as soon as it should have because the goal was to get the product on the shelves, front the store and ring up customers. You pulled expired as a filler unless it was blatantly obvious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter