• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Saratoga Springs Spa - Tipping Questions?

blizzard

DIS Veteran
I've never been to a "real" spa before, but my mother is treating on our next vacation. I would like to offer to cover the tip for us, but I have some questions...

1. How does the tipping work at SSS? Are we expected to tip for each treatment separately, or can we tip for the whole thing at the end (and put on room credit)?

2. What is "normal" gratuity for spa treatments (assuming adequate, but not above and beyond service)? 15%? 20%? something else?

3. (This may be the trickiest question) We have reserved treatments that are on the special DVC price list. Are we expected to tip on the "regular" price of these treatments, or the "special" price? [Personally, I lean toward the "special" price because this isn't a percentage discount, or amount discount, but a separate price list - I liken it to a restaurant that sells a soup and sandwich combo, you tip on the combo price, not the soup plus the sandwich] Thoughts?

not an expert at all - done this once.

1) you are tipping the person for the service - not the service - so tipping would be separately.

2) tipped 20% but then the lady did such an outstanding job that I tipped again 20% - was really hurting bad when had the massage. She did an outstanding job.

3) don't know by would say 'regular price' - like with the DDE experience you tip on the price before the discount not after.

You can tip at checkout and charge it on your card if you prefer. Just tell the person checking you out who gets what. You can also tip in cash. They should have small envelopes for that although I've not been at that spa since it was taken over by Relaxed Yet.

I agree that 20% seems to be standard for a good experience.

I'm with you. It is a special priced experience. The same with the half day or full day experiences. Just tip based on your bill.

DDE is different IMO as in the restaurants you are presented with a check with the undiscounted price and should tip on that.

I thought of a better analogy for my 3rd tipping question...

Imagine 2 restaurants with special seniors pricing.

Restaurant 1 has a seniors section on the menu with prices to go with it.

Restaurant 2 offers 10% off to seniors.

My thought is that at #1 you tip based on what they charge (ie. you don't have to look at the menu to see what they charge for the same food on the regular menu) At #2, you tip based on the pre-discount price.

Although it appears that the spa treatments may be the same as the regular offerings, I don't know for sure that this is true. The times and descriptions don't seem to match exactly. I assume that the bill shows only the special price, and not the regular price and a discount. If I am making incorrect assumptions though, please let me know! :goodvibes

I too have noticed that the descriptions are sometimes just a bit different.

To me, the easiest comparison is to the half and full day experiences. You certainly wouldn't be expected to break them down into the components and tip on the undiscounted prices. You just tip on your bill. The same is true for DVC packages IMO. If otherwise, I'd think they'd present you with a full price bill and then apply a discount.

Last time to SSR, I took 5 of my adult DS/spouses to the spa. We each had two treatments. When I checked out, I told the woman at the counter that I wanted to tip 20% for all treatments. She calculated it and added it onto the bill before I charged to my credit card. I do believe the amount calculated was based on the DVC discounted price and not on the listed public price. If I had calculated myself, I probably would have done it on the listed price for fear of undertipping, but since she calculated it, I assumed she knew what the protocal was.

As a massage therapist :) it is protocol to tip on the pre-discounted amount, just like at a restaurant. (and remember the member's price is a discount, not it's own unique treatment, with it's own unique price.)
The tipping amount is also like a restaurant, 18 - 20% is standard for resorts. If there is a 'package' where the spa offers several treatments together and calls it "the sunset package" (or whatever) then you tip on the package price.

Have a great time, Carol!

But that's the difference. There is not a member's discount across the board. If there were, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

Instead there are usually a couple of member's specials. And as noted, the descriptions don't necessarily match the regular menu. Whether that means the treatment time is shorter, different products are used, etc. is not clear at all.

But it is an interesting question. I'm sure the CM at the desk could answer what's appropriate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter