San Francisco - where to stay with kids?

Elleshoodat

DIS Veteran
We're taking a family trip to San Francisco this summer, and I've never been. Which neighborhood/area should we stay in with our kids (7 and 4 at the time)?

We like the idea of an AirBnB but don't want to limit ourselves, so hotel recommendations are also welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf when we went. It was located near everything we wanted to do/see in the city.

The Marina is always good. Most of Fisherman's Wharf area. For AirBnb, I'd focus on anything close to the muni metro trains (this could mean outer/inner Sunset. Using the metro is an easy (and inexpensive) way to get around to nearly all attractions. Parking near any of the major attractions is hideously expensive. We had a girl's weekend in San Francisco last year, and rented a very nice flat just 1/2 block from one of the metro lines. Easy to find parking in the neighborhood, and it was a very "local" experience, with nice neighborhood restaurants and bakeries within easy walking distance. The Financial District was 20 minutes away. We strictly used the Metro and Uber ($6-7 to/from most attractions). I'd be happy to share the place we rented, or let you know about the neighborhood for any others you are considering. I lived and worked in SF for 20 years and know it well.

Another option might be to stay just outside the City, and use the local public transport options to get you in and around the City. Generally, if you look just outside, you'll find less expensive/larger properties. Southern Marin is nice because it is connected via ferry boat to the City. The ferry ride to and from is an attraction in itself. :-)

I love SF, and still own a home in the area to which DH and I plan to retire in a few years. The climate is magnificent.

The Marina is always good. Most of Fisherman's Wharf area. For AirBnb, I'd focus on anything close to the muni metro trains (this could mean outer/inner Sunset. Using the metro is an easy (and inexpensive) way to get around to nearly all attractions. Parking near any of the major attractions is hideously expensive. We had a girl's weekend in San Francisco last year, and rented a very nice flat just 1/2 block from one of the metro lines. Easy to find parking in the neighborhood, and it was a very "local" experience, with nice neighborhood restaurants and bakeries within easy walking distance. The Financial District was 20 minutes away. We strictly used the Metro and Uber ($6-7 to/from most attractions). I'd be happy to share the place we rented, or let you know about the neighborhood for any others you are considering. I lived and worked in SF for 20 years and know it well.

Another option might be to stay just outside the City, and use the local public transport options to get you in and around the City. Generally, if you look just outside, you'll find less expensive/larger properties. Southern Marin is nice because it is connected via ferry boat to the City. The ferry ride to and from is an attraction in itself. :-)

I love SF, and still own a home in the area to which DH and I plan to retire in a few years. The climate is magnificent.

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Im planning a solo trip to San Francisco for June 2018. Theres some great info in this thread where I asked for help. https://www.disboards.com/threads/san-francisco-help.3648874/

I have booked the Travelodge at Fishermans Wharf
I wont have a car so I have booked Supershuttle from SFO and back to SFO airport

I just have one full day as its just a side trip from my main Disney / LA trip

I am planning on doing the Alcatraz tour https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ tickets go sale 90 days in advance and it books out fast

After Alcatraz I plan on going to Pier 39 https://www.pier39.com/ for food and shopping

The main bit of advice I was given is to avoid the Tenderloin district. This is an inner city area of high crime and low income. It is beside the main shopping district of Union Square however. I used Google maps and have decided not to go to Union Square shops as I will be going to LA and will have plenty of opportunities there.

I am staying in an AirBnB in LA / Hollywood area and I did look at places in San Francisco. For me the Travelodge is a better option for San Francisco as the prices for AirBnB in the Fishermans Wharf area are not in my budget.

Im planning a solo trip to San Francisco for June 2018. Theres some great info in this thread where I asked for help. https://www.disboards.com/threads/san-francisco-help.3648874/

I have booked the Travelodge at Fishermans Wharf
I wont have a car so I have booked Supershuttle from SFO and back to SFO airport

I just have one full day as its just a side trip from my main Disney / LA trip

I am planning on doing the Alcatraz tour https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ tickets go sale 90 days in advance and it books out fast

After Alcatraz I plan on going to Pier 39 https://www.pier39.com/ for food and shopping

The main bit of advice I was given is to avoid the Tenderloin district. This is an inner city area of high crime and low income. It is beside the main shopping district of Union Square however. I used Google maps and have decided not to go to Union Square shops as I will be going to LA and will have plenty of opportunities there.

I am staying in an AirBnB in LA / Hollywood area and I did look at places in San Francisco. For me the Travelodge is a better option for San Francisco as the prices for AirBnB in the Fishermans Wharf area are not in my budget.

Nice, thanks!

We stayed at the Wyndham Canterbury at San Francisco. I believe that it was in the Tenderloin, but the hotel was beautiful. DH use to work in the city so we felt comfortable there. But yes, the area did have some sketchiness and was not somewhere that we hung out after dark. But we walked our kids all over, as well as use cable cars (the experience). We did have a vehicle so we drove to the zoo one day, but parking was limited there.

We used homeaway and stayed near the Glen Park Bart station. Bart was very convenient to get around, as were buses. Price was less than $200 a night.

I have stayed in the Fishermans wharf area, there are a few budget hotels around there. I usually look for highly rated hotels on trip advisor in an unfamiliar city.

We stayed in Fisherman’s Wharf at the Sheraton and had no complaints with the area or the hotel. Enjoy, San Francisco has a most awesome vibe.

We are budget travelers and since we live on the West Coast, are usually driving when we are in SF. I always look for a "motor hotel" on Lombard so we get free parking, etc. Nothing fancy so we look closely at reviews. We can drive right across the Golden Gate Bridge with no huge hills (that's a "thing" for me, they terrify me.) It is walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf etc. and obviously, if you walk down the street you'll be at the crooked part of Lombard Street. We walk everywhere from there, but we are walkers.

The wharf area would be preferable, but if you have a car watch out for parking fees.

We stayed at this VRBO a couple of years ago and it was awesome. My kids were 3, 6 and 7 at the time. It was a great location. Quiet enough for sleeping and feeling safe coming and going, but in easy proximity to everything. There is a Trader Joes just down the block which we used to stock the kitchen for breakfasts and snacks. We spent our days sightseeing and had dinners at home. (There is lots of food delivery if you don't feel like cooking!) Amazing rooftop fire pit! The landlord lives in the building and he was so helpful and kind, and had the sweetest dog who inspired us to adopt a Cavalier when we returned from our trip. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!
https://www.vrbo.com/481842

I wouldn't have a problem with the TravelLodge or the Sheraton. They both were clean. (I'm hoping the Sheraton is the one that I'm thinking. It's one block over, by the Safeway). The Sheraton was a lot nicer though as the TravelLodge is your basic motor motel. Pier 39 is right there but we also like to go up a little to Ghiridilli's and for a stop at the sourdough place right on the wharf. If you get there early enough, I'd consider the on/off buses to see some sights before your tour. Pier 39? Souvenir shops mostly.

We stayed at this VRBO a couple of years ago and it was awesome. My kids were 3, 6 and 7 at the time. It was a great location. Quiet enough for sleeping and feeling safe coming and going, but in easy proximity to everything. There is a Trader Joes just down the block which we used to stock the kitchen for breakfasts and snacks. We spent our days sightseeing and had dinners at home. (There is lots of food delivery if you don't feel like cooking!) Amazing rooftop fire pit! The landlord lives in the building and he was so helpful and kind, and had the sweetest dog who inspired us to adopt a Cavalier when we returned from our trip. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!
https://www.vrbo.com/481842

That sounds perfect.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Clearly I have a lot of research to do, but at least now I have a place to start. :goodvibes

We went to SF last summer and stayed at the Hotel Zephyr. Our room had a view of Pier 39 and the double decker bus main stop was right on the corner. They have a fun courtyard with games like giant connect four. Check out Trip Advisor for photos, it was a fun place to stay in a great location.

Also, if you are planning to do a lot of sight seeing--look into the San Francisco Go Card. We definitely got our money's worth and were able to do the Alcatraz Cruise and tour with it (booking ahead) along with most of the other main tourist sights.

We're kind of partial to The Marine Memorial Club and Hotel just a block off Union Square. Free full breakfast buffet every morning, and complimentary 2 hour happy hour nightly.

We stayed at Argonaut Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. http://www.argonauthotel.com/ It was very convenient to a trolley stop & Ghirardelli Square. The restaurant in the hotel & restaurants nearby came in very handy, since it rained every evening we were there & was very cold compared to what we are used to. Unfortunately, we only made it to one of the restaurants we planned to try, because the weather was so bad. We were so glad we had decent options nearby & didn't need to worry about being out in the rain & cold for long. We were especially glad we didn't need a cab to get to a good restaurant for dinner every evening. The one night we took a cab to get to a restaurant we really wanted to try, we were praying we would make it there. It was a crazy ride. :scared: Fortunately, the food was more than worth it. As a side note, San Francisco is a fantastic city that we would love to visit again some time in the future.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf when we went. It was located near everything we wanted to do/see in the city.

We stayed at Pier 2620 last summer. It is in the same area as HIE. I thought it was a good location for us as well.

If you book a hotel, check the rates periodically ... our rate went way down close to the trip.

We went to SF last summer and stayed at the Hotel Zephyr. Our room had a view of Pier 39 and the double decker bus main stop was right on the corner. They have a fun courtyard with games like giant connect four. Check out Trip Advisor for photos, it was a fun place to stay in a great location.

Also, if you are planning to do a lot of sight seeing--look into the San Francisco Go Card. We definitely got our money's worth and were able to do the Alcatraz Cruise and tour with it (booking ahead) along with most of the other main tourist sights.

That's where we stayed too. My kids loved the game room and fire pits at night. Perfect location too. Get on their email list and they send out specials often.

There is a nice Marriott Courtyard in Larkspur, a beautiful, quiet little town across the bay from SF. It's within easy walking distance of the Larkspur ferry terminal, and could make going in and out of SF lots of fun for the kids. One of my favorite things to do in SF is to just ride the ferries anyway. The one to Sausalito gives you a gorgeous view of the Golden Gate!

We stayed at Argonaut Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. http://www.argonauthotel.com/ It was very convenient to a trolley stop & Ghirardelli Square. The restaurant in the hotel & restaurants nearby came in very handy, since it rained every evening we were there & was very cold compared to what we are used to. Unfortunately, we only made it to one of the restaurants we planned to try, because the weather was so bad. We were so glad we had decent options nearby & didn't need to worry about being out in the rain & cold for long. We were especially glad we didn't need a cab to get to a good restaurant for dinner every evening. The one night we took a cab to get to a restaurant we really wanted to try, we were praying we would make it there. It was a crazy ride. :scared: Fortunately, the food was more than worth it. As a side note, San Francisco is a fantastic city that we would love to visit again some time in the future.

Not so much rain likely in May. It rarely rains between April and October. May is one of the supremely best months for weather in San Francisco. :-) September is the other amazing month. June-August=foggy and cool. I've just given away one of my "secrets" for San Francisco. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter