San Diego Restaurants

nikkistevej

DIS Veteran
So we will be visiting San Diego for a few days before we head to Disneyland. We will be arriving around lunchtime on a Saturday. Here is our itinerary:

Arrive around 11am in San Diego on Sat in August, get rental car.
Go to lunch at Corvette Diner(I think), then Cabrillo National Monument
Go back to hotel- Four Points Sheraton on Aero Dr
Maybe go to harbor to see ships
Dinner- ???

Sunday- get up early, breakfast at hotel, San Diego Zoo
lunch at zoo
Dinner- ???

Monday- head towards Disneyland, stopping at LaJolla

Any suggestions for some places to eat for dinner, we have a 10 year old, so it's gotta be family friendly.

I see kids at Dick's Last Resort all the time, though YMMV.

You might want to do Corvette Diner for dinner, that will give you more options for lunch. Off the top of my head, check out restaurants on Coronado Island. Check out the Gaslamp, but like I said, it might be family friendlier for lunch than dinner.

I see kids at Dick's Last Resort all the time, though YMMV.

You might want to do Corvette Diner for dinner, that will give you more options for lunch. Off the top of my head, check out restaurants on Coronado Island. Check out the Gaslamp, but like I said, it might be family friendlier for lunch than dinner.

Thanks so much for your reply. We may switch around the Corvette Diner for dinner, and do somethng else for lunch. :)

There is an Old Spaghetti Factory in Downtown San Diego. Also if you switch Corvette Diner to Dinner, there is a Slater's 50/50 in the same area - which has great hamburgers (50% Ground Bacon/50% Ground Beef).

There is an Old Spaghetti Factory in Downtown San Diego. Also if you switch Corvette Diner to Dinner, there is a Slater's 50/50 in the same area - which has great hamburgers (50% Ground Bacon/50% Ground Beef).

Oh yum!!! That sounds good. :)

OK- looked at the Slaters menu- we are definitely going there!!!!! Probably lunch on Saturday, or dinner or Sunday. :goodvibes

There's Rocking Baja...one in Gaslamp, and one in Old Town. Buckets of shrimp with good sides. Also, Blue Water Seafood for great fresh seafood...meals, tacos, or sandwiches. Felipe's Pizza Grotto in Little Italy has huge amounts of food for little $$$.

If you go to old town there is a restaurant called Casa Gualdajara. The Mexican food is the best we have eaten anywhere and the portions are huge. Very family friendly with staff dressed in traditional Mexican dress.
The rest of old town is interesting especially in the evening.

We are leaving on Tuesday for 4 days in SD and already had looked into Corvette Diner. Now we have another must do - Slater's 50/50 :hyper:

Has anyone tried Hash House a Go Go? I was also looking at El Indio - saw it on the Food Network - and Lucha Libre. Too many great-looking Mexican places!

We are leaving on Tuesday for 4 days in SD and already had looked into Corvette Diner. Now we have another must do - Slater's 50/50 :hyper:

Has anyone tried Hash House a Go Go? I was also looking at El Indio - saw it on the Food Network - and Lucha Libre. Too many great-looking Mexican places!

Hash House a Go Go is a killer place. Whatever you do, don't order a meal for each person. Most of their plates, especially at breakfast, can feed two or three people.

Blue Water Seafood is right up the street from El Indio and Lucha Libre, and has great fresh seafood.

the best burger in the area is hands down hodads in ocean beach! Check it out on tripple D. If you like fresh seafood i would try point loma seafoods.

OK- looked at the Slaters menu- we are definitely going there!!!!! Probably lunch on Saturday, or dinner or Sunday. :goodvibes

I would suggest a late lunch. I have gone three times, first time the wait time was 90 minutes ( dinner on a Wednesday night), second time was for lunch at about 1, wait was an hour. Found the perfect time was about 3 pm we walked right in and was able to get the happy hour specials. Mac and cheese with bacon is awesome ( on the kids menu and still could not finish it)

I would suggest a late lunch. I have gone three times, first time the wait time was 90 minutes ( dinner on a Wednesday night), second time was for lunch at about 1, wait was an hour. Found the perfect time was about 3 pm we walked right in and was able to get the happy hour specials. Mac and cheese with bacon is awesome ( on the kids menu and still could not finish it)

OK thanks for that info. We'll do that!!

OK thanks for that info. We'll do that!!

We actually just got back from SD and went to Slater 50/50, Phil's BBQ, Hash House, Corvette Diner and Oggi's :faint: I'll write up a short trip report soon - with photos!

Anyway, Slater's was pretty busy when we went (around 6PM) but there was no wait. By the time we left (around 7:30PM) there was a line out the door. I noticed that everywhere w went, we did not wait for any of the restaurants we visited except for Phil's, but that was just the regular line to order your food.

Best to go at off times if you do not want to wait too long - we eat pretty early (5:30-6PM) and it seems like everyone else in SD does too!

Bumping to see if anyone else has good SD recommendations? These so far look great, thank you!

Bumping to see if anyone else has good SD recommendations? These so far look great, thank you!

What do you like? Traveling with kids? Where are you staying? Will you have a car? Interested in good food (often off the beaten path) or the mainstays?

I'll be at Mission Beach the third week in August. Going to the Zoo and SW, and kids want to go to Belmont, so that will be one night.

Good food, off beaten path places would be appreciated. We are not foodies, but like good food. Kids are good eaters, teen and almost teen, and are game for all but raw fish, well most raw fish. Suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter