San Diego - getting around

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
Hello , seeking some tips of the best way to get around to see the San Diego sights. 4 of us staying in shelter island area for 4 nights and will have a car. Things like the zoo, midway museum, old town, etc. Since we are dealing with a city, is Uber the way to go? Would finding parking and related fees make having a car useless ? Thank you

My son who lives there says:

Zoo - free parking
Midway - has a paid parking lot
Old Town has street parking you just have to look around and know the parking regulations. You can park for free at the Old Town Train Station.

Places Little Italy, North Park, Downtown, Hillcrest: they all have liimted parking and you would be best to Uber (but the best dining places are in these locations!).

Zoo - free parking
Old Town has street parking you just have to look around and know the parking regulations. You can park for free at the Old Town Train Station.

Places Little Italy, North Park, Downtown, Hillcrest: they all have liimted parking and you would be best to Uber (but the best dining places are in these locations!).
Good info thank you

We went into Little Italy from Shelter Island in Jan. It was cheaper to take the car and pay parking vs. taking an Uber. It is nice to have the car, Shelter Island is not walkable to much. Zoo is not near the Midway. Midway is walkable to Gas Light and Convention Center.

For staying at Shelter Island driving will probably always be the cheapest way. There's not really public transportation coming that way other than buses. You could also drive to Old Town or another transit stop and take the trolley to some of your other locations, or of course Uber/Lyft, but parking fees will usually be cheaper than those. Downtown, Gaslamp and the other neighborhoods will have paid public parking lots and metered street parking. As someone mentioned, all the Zoo/Balboa Park/museum lots are free.

Zoo - free parking

the free parking at the zoo threw me our first time! I was looking around for how to pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter